Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Nov 2014, 03:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Without adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 179 [1] , given: 50

Reviews Badge
Without adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2012, 11:23
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

59% (01:52) correct 41% (01:08) wrong based on 381 sessions
Without adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired skills and also new factual information may not get properly encoded into their memory circuits.

A. Without adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired skills and also
B. Without the adequate amount of sleep they need, people's newly acquired skills and even
C. If they do not have adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired skills and even
D. If people do not get adequate amounts of sleep, newly acquired skills and even
E. If people do not get the adequate amount of sleep they need, newly acquired skills and also

Pls clarify the usage of "amounts of sleep" ? Is sleep a countable or uncountable noun here?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 39

Re: Without adequate amounts of sleep [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2012, 16:17
A. Without adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired skills and also [modifier]
B. Without the adequate amount of sleep they need, people's newly acquired skills and even [modifier; redundancy]
C. If they do not have adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired skills and even [modifier]
D. If people do not get adequate amounts of sleep, newly acquired skills and even [ correct]
E. If people do not get the adequate amount of sleep they need, newly acquired skills and also [redundancy]

D is the only choice which makes sense.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 50

Reviews Badge
Re: Without adequate amounts of sleep [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2012, 01:11
Pls clarify me why "amounts of sleep" is used in correct choice? Why not amount of sleep?

Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html

BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.33
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 11

Re: Without adequate amounts of sleep [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 07:54
SOURH7WK wrote:
Pls clarify me why "amounts of sleep" is used in correct choice? Why not amount of sleep?

"adequate amount of sleep" and "they need" is redundant.

In the second part "and also" is redundant.

Hence, you can strike out E.

Thanks,
Ankit

You want something, go get it . Period !

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Re: Without adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 07:32
with phrase
can be used to modify noun or clause/verb.

when "with phrase" modify verb/clause. there are 2 cases, depending on context
- it must refer to a specific noun in the clause
with good spirit, I learn gmat. (prepositional phrase)
or
with my spirit good, I learn gmat (absolut structure,no need to remember the name)
- it can refer to no noun in the clause
with persons not learning gmat, I still learn. (gmatprep present one sentence of this kind, telephone charge lower)

depending on context , I know when "with phrase" must refer to a specifin noun in the clause. in this context, "with phrase' must refer to a specific noun and so not logic.

A is wrong,

is my thinking correct? pls comment. Thank you .
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Without adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 07:55
the following from gmatprep with oa d show the case in which " with phrase" refers to no noun in the main clause.
if we focus on meaning, we do not need to remember this tructure, just know this pattern exist.
focus on meaning help us avoid learning hard grammar pattern.

pls, comment

Because of wireless service costs plummeting in the last year, and as mobile phones are increasingly common, many people now using their mobile phones to make calls across a wide region at night and on weekends, when numerous wireless companies provide unlimited airtime for a relatively small monthly fee.

A. Because of wireless service costs plummeting in the last year, and as mobile phones are increasingly common, many people

B. As the cost of wireless service plummeted in the last year and as mobile phones became increasingly common, many people

C. In the last year, with the cost of wireless service plummeting, and mobile phones have become increasingly common, there are many people

D. With the cost of wireless service plummeting in the last year and mobile phones becoming increasingly common, many people are

E. While the cost of wireless service has plummeted in the last year and mobile phones are increasingly common, many people are
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 562

Re: Without adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2013, 06:12
folks,

what is the difference between ' amounts of sleep' and 'amount of sleep'

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Expert Post
6 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 262

Kudos [?]: 1035 [6] , given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Without adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2013, 06:38
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Sachin9 wrote:
folks,

what is the difference between ' amounts of sleep' and 'amount of sleep'

Hi Sachin,

There is just a minor difference, consider the following sentences

I am not getting proper amount of sleep these days --> Single amount of one person.

We are not getting proper amounts of sleep these days --> As we have many people here, amounts is used; different amounts for different people.

The amounts of money with people is not increasing at a rate as it did previously.

two more examples.

The amount of raw ash in the atmosphere is greater in New York than in Washington.

The amounts of raw ash in the atmosphere in US cities are greater than those in developing countries such as Brazil.

Note that amount can be used both as countable and non-countable.

non-countable --> No amount of help can pull him out of his misery. --> amounts of help will be incorrect.

Also see this --> http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries ... ary/amount

Hope this helps,

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GPA: 2.5
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 59

Re: Without adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2013, 12:41
SOURH7WK wrote:
Without adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired skills and also new factual information may not get properly encoded into their memory circuits.

B. Without the adequate amount of sleep they need, people's newly acquired skills and even
C. If they do not have adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired skills and even
D. If people do not get adequate amounts of sleep, newly acquired skills and even
E. If people do not get the adequate amount of sleep they need, newly acquired skills and also

Pls clarify the usage of "amounts of sleep" ? Is sleep a countable or uncountable noun here?

Answer D

Choice A - subject is incorrect
Choice B - pronoun referent error
Choice C - same as B
Choice E - use of amount

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

Bring ON SOME KUDOS MATES+++

-----------------------------
Quant Notes consolidated: consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

My GMAT journey begins: my-gmat-journey-begins-122251.html

All about Richard Ivey: all-about-richard-ivey-148594.html#p1190518

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Without adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 03:36
really great and inforamtive post, i really like it and i find it very helpful, hope that you will keep it up.. appreciated
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 282

Re: Without adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired [#permalink] New post 26 May 2013, 01:12
For E- the Off explanation says adequate..they need is redundant. Also the use of 'and also' makes sense to me. !! :)

But in D it says newly acquired skills and 'even'. I do not see a difference here between 'skills and also' and 'skills and even'.

@vercules- could you comment?

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 262

Kudos [?]: 1035 [3] , given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Without adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired [#permalink] New post 26 May 2013, 05:30
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
rajathpanta wrote:
For E- the Off explanation says adequate..they need is redundant. Also the use of 'and also' makes sense to me. !! :)

But in D it says newly acquired skills and 'even'. I do not see a difference here between 'skills and also' and 'skills and even'.

@vercules- could you comment?

Hi rajathpanta,

'and also' is considered redundant on the GMAT. It can be replaced by the simple 'and' without changing the meaning. 'and even' is used to put more emphasis on the phrase coming after. To put it in simple words, just remember that GMAT considers 'and also' redundant.

Hope this helps,
Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 1.4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 4

Re: Without adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2013, 12:53

whether A is wrong because of redundancy of and also....or there is any other error also...
and whether possesive pronoun 'their' correctly refers to people.

there is a similar problem:-
a-mixture-of-reggae-and-jazz-the-music-of-the-artist-was-153189.html
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 12

Re: Without adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2013, 18:18
SOURH7WK wrote:

A. Without adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired skills and also // incorrect modifier/
B. Without the adequate amount of sleep they need, people's newly acquired skills and even// incorrect modifier
C. If they do not have adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired skills and even // Incorrect modifer. who should get sleep? Skills. Incorrect.
D. If people do not get adequate amounts of sleep, newly acquired skills and even // Answer
E. If people do not get the adequate amount of sleep they need, newly acquired skills and also // Redundant and verbose.

A. Without adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired skills and also // incorrect modifier/
B. Without the adequate amount of sleep they need, people's newly acquired skills and even// incorrect modifier
C. If they do not have adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired skills and even // Incorrect modifer. who should get sleep? Skills. Incorrect.
D. If people do not get adequate amounts of sleep, newly acquired skills and even // Answer
E. If people do not get the adequate amount of sleep they need, newly acquired skills and also // Redundant and verbose.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 2

Re: Without adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2013, 22:18
Vercules wrote:
'and also' is considered redundant on the GMAT.

It might be slightly extreme to memorize this as a rule, because there are instances when the correct option does have and also.

Thanks,
Ashish
GMAT - 99th Pecentile, MBA-ISB, Faculty @ http://www.EducationAisle.com

Our book Sentence Correction Nirvana available at

Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana
Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

CEO
CEO
Followers: 306

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Without adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2014, 08:55
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 1962

Re: Without adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2014, 18:15
For those that care, this is a GMATPrep question.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 09-04-2014
GPA: 4

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 14

Re: Without adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2014, 21:09
modifier problem coz its the people who need sleep not the acquired skill

pronoun problem, the pronoun they do have have antecedent

again same as b

the correct answer as it clearly signifies

too wordy
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q41 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 313

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Without adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2014, 03:07
I also picked (D), but don't you think that (D) with "and even", slightly alters the meaning, exactly putting more emphasis (as Vercules said)?

Thanks!

Thank you very much for reading this post till the end! Kudos?

Re: Without adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired   [#permalink] 25 Sep 2014, 03:07