GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2018, 08:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Without adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired skills and

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Reviews Badge
Without adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired skills and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 15 Oct 2018, 03:13
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

61% (00:49) correct 39% (02:05) wrong based on 1325 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Without adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired skills and also new factual information may not get properly encoded into their memory circuits.

A. Without adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired skills and also

B. Without the adequate amount of sleep they need, people's newly acquired skills and even

C. If they do not have adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired skills and even

D. If people do not get adequate amounts of sleep, newly acquired skills and even

E. If people do not get the adequate amount of sleep they need, newly acquired skills and also

Pls clarify the usage of "amounts of sleep" ? Is sleep a countable or uncountable noun here?

Originally posted by SOURH7WK on 27 Oct 2012, 12:23.
Last edited by Bunuel on 15 Oct 2018, 03:13, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Without adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired skills and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2013, 07:38
Sachin9 wrote:
folks,

what is the difference between ' amounts of sleep' and 'amount of sleep'

Hi Sachin,

There is just a minor difference, consider the following sentences

I am not getting proper amount of sleep these days --> Single amount of one person.

We are not getting proper amounts of sleep these days --> As we have many people here, amounts is used; different amounts for different people.

The amounts of money with people is not increasing at a rate as it did previously.

two more examples.

The amount of raw ash in the atmosphere is greater in New York than in Washington.

The amounts of raw ash in the atmosphere in US cities are greater than those in developing countries such as Brazil.

Note that amount can be used both as countable and non-countable.

non-countable --> No amount of help can pull him out of his misery. --> amounts of help will be incorrect.

Also see this --> http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries ... ary/amount

Hope this helps,

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: QOTD: Without adequate amounts of sleep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2017, 12:05
Top Contributor
The first thing I notice is the use of noun modifiers at the beginning of both (A) and (B):

Quote:
B. Without the adequate amount of sleep they need, people's newly acquired skills and even

Without adequate amounts of sleep,..." - logically, this modifier should describe people. But in (A), there are no "people", really: since "people's" is possessive, the opening modifier describes "people's skills." And it wouldn't make sense to talk about the sleep habits of "people's skills." Eliminate (A).

(B) is even worse. We still have the same problem with the opening noun modifier, which technically describes skills and information rather than people. We also have a subject pronoun ("they") trying to refer to a possessive noun ("people's"), and this is not allowed (for more on possessive pronouns, check out this thread). Finally, the addition of "they need" is redundant, since an "adequate amount" is, by definition, the amount needed. Eliminate (B).

In (C), we once again have a subject pronoun ("they") trying to refer to a possessive noun ("people's"). As written, "they" seems to refer to "skills" and "information", and this is illogical.

(D) and (E) are pretty similar, but we've already established that "adequate" + "they need", as used in choice (E), is redundant. In addition, the word "also" is unnecessary in (E). For example, I would say, "Mike likes to drink beer and wine", not "Mike likes to drink beer and also wine." (D) doesn't have any redundancy issues ("even" is correctly used as an adverb for emphasis), so that's our answer.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2017, 08:19
A. Without adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired skills and also (and also together is not correct)
B. Without the adequate amount of sleep they need, people's newly acquired skills and even (no mention of who they are)
C. If they do not have adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired skills and even (same as above)
D. If people do not get adequate amounts of sleep, newly acquired skills and even (best choice)
E. If people do not get the adequate amount of sleep they need, newly acquired skills and also (same as option A)

P.S. Don't forget to give Kudos :)

General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Without adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired skills and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2013, 07:12
folks,

what is the difference between ' amounts of sleep' and 'amount of sleep'

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : http://gmatclub.com/forum/end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2013, 02:12
For E- the Off explanation says adequate..they need is redundant. Also the use of 'and also' makes sense to me. !! :)

But in D it says newly acquired skills and 'even'. I do not see a difference here between 'skills and also' and 'skills and even'.

@vercules- could you comment?

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2013, 06:30
rajathpanta wrote:
For E- the Off explanation says adequate..they need is redundant. Also the use of 'and also' makes sense to me. !! :)

But in D it says newly acquired skills and 'even'. I do not see a difference here between 'skills and also' and 'skills and even'.

@vercules- could you comment?

Hi rajathpanta,

'and also' is considered redundant on the GMAT. It can be replaced by the simple 'and' without changing the meaning. 'and even' is used to put more emphasis on the phrase coming after. To put it in simple words, just remember that GMAT considers 'and also' redundant.

Hope this helps,
Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2017, 08:21
souvik101990 wrote:

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 5: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS

Without adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired skills and also new factual information may not get properly encoded into their memory circuits.

C. If they do not have adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired skills and even
D. If people do not get adequate amounts of sleep, newly acquired skills and even
E. If people do not get the adequate amount of sleep they need, newly acquired skills and also

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.

Hi,

The Q is related to Modifiers...

WHO is "without adequate amounts of sleep",it is the PEOPLE and not their skills....
So A,B and C are out..

Left with D and E, the point is between adequate amounts of sleep and the adequate amount of sleep...
We are not talking of some specific thing, so THE is not required.

D

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

SC Moderator
D
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Retail)

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2017, 06:36
Hi GMATNinja,

Can you also throw some light on the usage of 'amount of something' and 'amounts of something'. Do they mean the same? Under what scenarios can the usage of 'amounts of' be right and wrong?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2017, 11:22
Top Contributor
Quote:
Can you also throw some light on the usage of 'amount of something' and 'amounts of something'. Do they mean the same? Under what scenarios can the usage of 'amounts of' be right and wrong?

Interesting question, Vyshak. I don't really think it's an issue at all -- they don't really differ substantially in meaning, and I can't really think of a case when one would be correct and another would be incorrect. Honestly, the singular version ("amount of sleep") sounds better to me, but the GMAT clearly has no problem with "amounts of sleep"... and as usual, the GMAT really doesn't care what I think sounds better. :lol:

So I wouldn't worry about it. It's never the deciding factor in any official questions.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2018, 05:21
Because of other errors, obviously Option E eliminates all other options.

But

I think "adequate amount" is correct usage while "adequate amounts" is not.

Can someone throw some light on this?
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2018, 10:51
Top Contributor
In generalizations, 'adequate 'amount' is better, but adequate 'amounts' is also passable if the singular 'amount' is not there. However, 'the adequate amount' is indeed wrong in the context.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2018, 11:29
RameshGayakwad wrote:
Because of other errors, obviously Option E eliminates all other options.

But

I think "adequate amount" is correct usage while "adequate amounts" is not.

Can someone throw some light on this?

First, if you're trying to conquer the GMAT, there is no such thing as an incorrect usage in a correct answer! Our goal is never to challenge the OA's from official material - it's to understand why a given construction is acceptable in the GMAT's eyes. (Full disclosure: as a former editor and freelance writer, I often disagree with the GMAT's ideas about English grammar and usage. But those disagreements are 100% useless. :grin:)

Anyway, the distinction between "amount" and "amounts" boils down to whether we're referring to a single quantity or multiple quantities.

If we were referring to a single value, we'd use "amount." For example, "Last night Souvik passed out for 14 hours, a genuinely staggering amount of sleep."

If we were referring to multiple values, we'd use "amounts." For example, "During the last two nights, Souvik passed out for 14 and 16 hours respectively, genuinely staggering amounts of sleep."

Now consider answer choice (E):

Quote:
If people do not get adequate amounts of sleep, newly acquired skills and even...

Because we're dealing with multiple "people" who are likely sleeping for different lengths of time, this construction is analogous to the second example above in which "amounts" refers to more than one quantity.

I hope that helps!

Need an expert reply?

GMAT Club Bot
Re: QOTD: Without adequate amounts of sleep &nbs [#permalink] 20 Jul 2018, 11:29

Without adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired skills and

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap