Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:49 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72889 [281]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4054 [2]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32882 [2]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [1]
Given Kudos: 753
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Ross School of Business - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.2
WE:Project Management (Other)
Send PM
Re: 100 Hardest SC Questions on the Forum [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi bb
This appears to be a great compilation indeed. However, it has a shortcoming. Some of the questions have incorrect answers or have multiple correct answers. May be that is why they have a higher percentage of unsuccessful attempts and / or longer attempt durations. These questions would be much suitable for practice once these have been reviewed by a senior member / moderator.

Cheers to your effort, however! :)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi bb,

I'm relatively new to GMAT Club and I've been going through various material posted on this site to aid my practice for GMAT. I've read the MGMAT sentence correction guide and I feel decently comfortable with solving moderate level SC questions. I was looking for some suggestions on how I should be using this list of 100 hardest questions. These questions are hard for sure but for many questions, there are no official answer explanations, and as I go through user comments I get all the more confused because users differ in their choice of answers and explanations. Eventually, I end up not knowing or learning. It'd deeply appreciate if I can be given some guidance on a good way to approach this set of 100 Qs.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 232 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
WE:Design (Computer Software)
Send PM
There is no value of these questions without explanations from experts.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
BB, are these questions from different sources? (MGMAT or other prep companies?) Just wondering if most of them are similar to the actual GMAT material.
Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
is the latest list?

what is the source of these qns? GMATPREP?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Thanks a lot for such a comprehensive list. I have a small suggestion for improving this list. If the questions are tagged with the source of the sentence, it would be easy for us to identify the official questions. As there are few questions for which the OA is debatable, we can rule out such questions and the concepts if not in concurrence with GMAT standards.

Thanks Again!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.27
Send PM
tusharGupta1 wrote:
There is no value of these questions without explanations from experts.

There is.....just go through the explaination and view point of ppl like us....u will know what u r doing wrong and where u lack...its only 5% questions where there is a slippy track between 2 choices ;where exact answers cannot be chosen...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34 (Online)
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V35 (Online)
Send PM
100 Hardest SC Questions on the Forum [#permalink]
bb wrote:

100 Hardest Sentence Correction Questions

Are you familiar with the GMAT Club's timer? We have pulled timer results from our database and analyzed every question in the forum. Based on those results, we have compiled a list of the hardest questions in each of the question forums we have. Below I am presenting to you the top 100 questions from the SC forums arranged in a descending difficulty order.
Sentence Correction (SC)
Rank Title Topics
1There is a difference in the way the term turnover and the Conjunctions/Gramatical Construction
2Isotopes in the recently excavated bones of a 14-year-old Modifiers/Debatable OA
3Having extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to Pronouns
4Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the 80-20 rule Such as/Like
5The manager at the office supply store believes that the new Comparisons/Parallel Structure/Diction
6A 2009 study from the California State Housing Authority Parallel Structure/Punctuation/Which/That
7There is generally agreement that feral swine are unwelcome Verb Tense/Form/Such as/Like
8At the time of the Mexican agrarian revolution Nouns/Verb Tense/Form
9First published in 1946, and comparing the ways the world Participle Parallelism/Verb Tense/Form
10Meaning Based 2: MRS MERCKEL Idioms
11U.S. officials said they are convinced that by public demons Construction/Gramatical Construction
12For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, providing Modifiers/Parallel Structure/Debatable OA
13The controversy has divided the Senate, caused strains in Participle Parallelism
14While airline travel can be detrimental to your health Idioms/Modifiers/Subject Verb Agreement
15Originally a trading port, Hong-Kong, currently estimated to Clauses/Modifiers
16Since 1966, roughly 21 percent of those enlisted in the USMC Style and Usage/Verb Tense/Form/Construction/Gramatical Construction
17The misnomer that sibling rivalry is a thing of the 'past' Gramatical Construction
18In assessing the problems faced by rural migrant workers, Construction
19In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround Modifiers/Nouns/Subject Verb Agreement
20Hurricane resistant classification is given by the Debatable OA
21Classical guitar was neither prestigious nor was often Gramatical Construction/Modifiers/Verb Tense/Form/Verb Voice
22A year advantage in a new computer product or process being Gerund/Clauses/Infinitive/Gramatical Construction/Idioms/Debatable OA
23Manifestations of the British Empire's colonial policy in Parallel Structure/Style and Usage
24To many critics, it seems strange for Ms. Tramonivic, Modifiers/Parallel Structure/Which/That/Verb Voice
25Corporate finance committees do not plan the detailed Clauses/Construction/Parallel Structure/Idioms
26After all the recent political changes, the Syrians are figu Style and Usage
27Rivaling the pyramids of Egypt or even the ancient cities of Participle Parallelism
28It is no surprise that Riyadh, the Saudi capital where peopl Gramatical Construction
29The paradox of the Roman empires history is marked by the Parallel Structure/Participle Parallelism
30Neanderthals had a vocal tract that resembled those of the Comparisons/Parallel Structure/Modifiers/Pronouns
31Contemporary accounts of the life of Charlemagne, crowned Parallel Structure
32Constructive dialogue is one of the fundamentals Conjunctions/Style and Usage/Subject Verb Agreement
33Because the population is denser there and the auto mobile Comparisons
34Jazz was neither popular nor was often played in auditoriums Modifiers/Parallel Structure
35The recent discovery of a red oak tree sap that is Comparisons/Modifiers/Parallel Structure/Punctuation/Which/That/Construction
36Any medical test will sometimes fail to detect a condition Pronouns/Gramatical Construction
37Many employees in the energy sector must choose between jobs Idioms/Parallel Structure
38Rather than accept the throne of Kapilavastu, Lord Buddha Modifiers/Nouns/Pronouns/Subject Verb Agreement
39Heightened land erosion, caused by human activity, has many
40The data being collected in the current geological survey Pronouns
41The Queensway Tunnel was built in the 1930s Pronouns
42The recent floods in Pakistan were caused by an incessant Idioms/Verb Tense/Form
43Building large new hospitals in the bistate area would Adjectives and Adverbs
44Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the â80-20 rule Such as/Like
45The recent spate of traffic jams on Beijing-Tibet highway Style and Usage/Subject Verb Agreement/Verb Voice/Construction
46Scientists have found new evidence of people initially Comparisons
47In the late 1880s, the journalist Jacob Riis Modifiers/Parallel Structure
48The proliferation of so-called cybersquatters, people who Modifiers/Pronouns/Parallel Structure
49Stymieing the Armadas plans to meet up with the Duke of Parallel Structure
50Of all the major developments in information technology that Idioms/Verb Tense/Form
51One result of the family's long ordeal at sea was Pronouns/If-Then
52Whereas the use of synthetic fertilizers has greatly
53Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth Parallel Structure
54The SC problem below is a tough modifier problem. I was Modifiers
55Explorer Bob Ballard recently discovered a completely intact Verb Tense/Form
56The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan dance and Teut-Teung dance are an Comparisons/Gramatical Construction/Style and Usage
57According to a recent study of home buyers Comparisons/Gramatical Construction
58The preliminary agreement to what was to be ... Construction/Idioms
59The proliferation of so-called cybersquatters, people who Modifiers/Verb Tense/Form
60From 1982 to 1987 sales of new small boats increased between Gramatical Construction/Idioms/Debatable OA
61As an actress, and more importantly as a teacher of acting Modifiers/Verb Tense/Form
62Research during the past several decades on the nature of Gramatical Construction/Modifiers/Parallel Structure
63Astronomers have theorized that the Big Bang governs the Verb Tense/Form/Participle Parallelism
64The treaty specifies that the economy of the member nations Subjunctive
65Ending a contentious political stalemate that frightened Verb Tense/Form/Debatable OA
66Salmon oil is one of the best Omega-3 sources Parallel Structure
67Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests Verb Tense/Form/Parallel Structure
68NASAs methodical approach to the exploration of Mars has not
69Like a protein rich diet that the healthy genes need to prod Comparisons/Parallel Structure/Debatable OA
70This century began with war brewing in Europe Parallel Structure
71On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are
72In a leveraged buyout, investors borrow huge sums of money Parallel Structure/Style and Usage/Gramatical Construction
73In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought Comparisons
74Founded in 1983, the magazine increased its circulation more Comparisons/Idioms/Debatable OA
75The first personal computers had severe hardware and Comparisons
76Since the 1930's aircraft manufacturers have tried to build Debatable OA/Modifiers/Parallel Structure
77Q. Because the Supreme Court has ruled that the prosecution Verb Tense/Form/Which/That/Construction
78In contrast to the declarations made at previous UN climate Comparisons
79Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit Parallel Structure
80Agricultural scientists have estimated that the annual loss Diction
81Although dozens of New York s small museums are either Conjunctions
82Hoping the customers would not carelessly throw too many of Pronouns
83One of the greatest problems facing Engineering Infinitive/Participle Parallelism/Style and Usage
84Medieval monks, through their manuscript illuminations, Modifiers
85Policy makers remain concerned about the prospect of Clauses/Construction/Modifiers
86At the time of the Mexican agrarian revolution, the most Clauses
87The company s efforts to seek advance orders for its Comparisons
88Examples of "tulipomania," a term coined from the tulip craz Modifiers
89As business grows more complex, students majoring in Such as/Like
90Often said to look like an egg crate, the Omni Coliseum's Modifiers
91Recent indications of weakness in the economy have lead Style and Usage
92The adopted use of trained fighter horses Idioms/Diction/Modifiers
93Among lower- paid workers, union members are less likely
94The prime lending rate is a key rate in the economy: not Parallel Structure/Idioms
95Since the 1930 s aircraft manufacturers have tried to build Adjectives and Adverbs
96Visby is the largest city on the Swedish island of Gotland; Debatable OA
97Rumored, and believed by most, to have committed suicide on Diction
98The word horticulture originates from the Latin word hortus Parallel Structure
99His campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms
100Source: Master GMAT The word inspired is used often by Pronouns/Style and Usage/Modifiers

A note about difficulty and how we determine the hardest questions - we use the GMAT Club timer and user statistics. We use both % of correct answers as well as the average time used. Though this list is very accurate, please keep in mind that minor shifts are expected over time.

Hi, whenever I try to open any question, it says
"You are not authorized to..."

And idea why is this the case?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34 (Online)
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V35 (Online)
Send PM