Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:53 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6040 [88]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8553 [40]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [16]
Given Kudos: 130
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Re: Because the population is denser there and the auto mobile is therefor [#permalink]
option A:a commuter rail system serving a given population is usually five times more efficient in a European city than it is in an American city.
i somehow find this comparison faulty (both grammar and logic) .had A been like this :a commuter rail system serving a given population is usually five times more efficient in a European city than in an American city. then the comparison would have been oki grammatically though i still feel that the intended meaning is missing in the modified version .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
Re: Because the population is denser there and the auto mobile is therefor [#permalink]
mikemcgarry wrote:
CharlesBarclay wrote:
This one totally got me stumped..anybody want to take a crack at it and explain?
Because the population is denser there and the automobile is therefore inefficient as a means of transportation, a commuter rail system serving a given population is usually five times more efficient in a European city than it is in an American city.

(A) serving a given population is usually five times more efficient in a European city than it is in an American city
(B) serving a given population will usually be five times more efficient if it is placed in a European city instead of an American city
(C) will usually be five times more efficient in a European city than one serving a comparable population in an American city
(D) in a European city will usually be five times more efficient than will a system serving a comparable population in an American city
(E) that is implemented in a European city will usually be five times more efficient than if it is implemented with a comparable population in an American city

aditya8062 wrote:
option A:a commuter rail system serving a given population is usually five times more efficient in a European city than it is in an American city.
i somehow find this comparison faulty (both grammar and logic) .had A been like this :a commuter rail system serving a given population is usually five times more efficient in a European city than in an American city. then the comparison would have been oki grammatically though i still feel that the intended meaning is missing in the modified version .

Dear CharlesBarclay & aditya8062,
I'm happy to respond. :-) I am not sure that I like this question. It seems to play on subtleties a bit more than the GMAT does.

Part of what is awkward about the prompt and choice (B) is putting the "serving a given population" at the beginning, before the comparison. This tells us the hyper-obvious information that the commuter rail system serves a population (i.e., they tend not build these in the middle of the desert with nobody around!!), and illogically, it suggests that the phrase applies to both parts of the comparison, that the rail system would serve the same given population in both the European city and in the American city. That is 100% illogical and not what the author is trying to say. Choices (A) & (B) are wrong.

Choice (E) is an unholy abomination. It seems to be trying to win a contest for the longest and most awkward possible answer. This one should be taken out back and shot. Clearly wrong.

That leaves us with (C) & (D). Both are grammatically correct. Both are plausible. I believe the reason the question writer wants us to reject (C) is the placement of the word "there" before the underlined part. The "there", where it appears, leaves a question hanging --- exactly about what place are we speaking?? The urgency of that question demands that a clear and unambiguous answer come as soon as possible. Think about the way (C) begins ----
(C) will usually be five times more efficient in ....
So we go that whole distance without getting an answer to our question, and we don't get an answer until the comparison. Slightly awkward. Meanwhile,
(D) in a European city will usually ....
BAM! Right away, the answer to our question. This one doesn't leave us hanging nearly as long, so in some subtle sense, it's more "satisfying." Let me say, though: the difference (C) and (D) here is ridiculously subtle, and absolutely is not characteristic of a GMAT SC question. The GMAT has very high standards. On GMAT SC, one answer is unambiguously correct, and each of the other four answer choices has something absolutely definitive and objective that is wrong. It's very hard to write high quality SC practice questions that adhere to this standard. Poorly written questions sometimes will try to create splits based on bizarrely subtle details, and the authors no doubt believe that they have written a good challenging question, but this is absolutely not in the spirit of the GMAT, and, in fact, it betrays an astonishing lack of familiarity with the standards of the GMAT.

I don't like this question at all. Here's a much better question for practice:
https://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/3604

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Mike :-)

Hey Mike,

I quite did not get the difference between options c & d, especially the place of "there" part. Would you explain it again ?

Thanks !
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [5]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Expert Reply
vishalrastogi wrote:
Hey Mike,

I quite did not get the difference between options c & d, especially the place of "there" part. Would you explain it again ?

Thanks !

Dear vishalrastogi,
I'm happy to help. :-) Here's the entire problem again:

Because the population is denser there and the automobile is therefore inefficient as a means of transportation, a commuter rail system serving a given population is usually five times more efficient in a European city than it is in an American city.
(A) serving a given population is usually five times more efficient in a European city than it is in an American city
(B) serving a given population will usually be five times more efficient if it is placed in a European city instead of an American city
(C) will usually be five times more efficient in a European city than one serving a comparable population in an American city
(D) in a European city will usually be five times more efficient than will a system serving a comparable population in an American city
(E) that is implemented in a European city will usually be five times more efficient than if it is implemented with a comparable population in an American city

Think about just the beginning of the sentence:
Because the population is denser there and ...
If that's all we heard of the sentence, we would have absolutely no clue where on earth the population was denser. We would have absolutely no clue as to the physical location about which the speaker is speaking. The writer or speaker has a specific geographic location in mind, and is telling us important things about that location, but at least at the outset, we are 100% in the dark about where on Earth the writer or speaker might mean.

Ordinarily, ambiguity in sentences is bad. The GMAT loves sentence that are crisp and clear and direct, sentence that efficiently communicate everything they are trying to say. In general, anything unclear or unspecified is a bad thing. Here, though, is a kind of exception. Sometimes, for rhetorical effect, it can be good thing to specify something or someone, the identity of which the reader doesn't know right away. The writer, by using this word "there" at the beginning of the sentence, has piqued our curiosity. This creates a kind of tension that generates forward momentum through the sentence --- we read the "there" and we are curious: we want to know the place about which the writer is talking, and this impels us to continue reading the sentence. This is one subtle trick for producing engaging writing.

Imagine if I began a sentence
"Because she was one of the most intelligent women ever to live, ..."
that sentence beginning would create enormous expectations. Wow! the reader would feel, we are going to find out at least one person's opinion on who the smartest woman of all time was. There's a very clear expectation that immediately following that opening phrase will be the name of this very impressive woman. Creating expectations in a sentence is a good thing if we fulfill those expectations. It becomes awkward if I create expectations, and then don't satisfy them:
"Because she was one of the most intelligent women ever to live, the university system at the turn of the century, after the Greek requirement had been dropped ...."
WAIT A MINUTE! That sentence cheated us. It created the expectation that we were going to find out the name of this very impressive woman, and then after the comma, it started talking about something else. Yes, the woman probably will be mentioned at some point, but because this mention is delayed, it frustrates the expectation.

BTW, I'm sorry, but I have no idea whom I would name as the smartest woman of all times.

This sentence creates a similar tension with the word "there", and version (D) immediate resolves the tension by letting us know right away that "there" means "in a European city." Choice (D) creates tension, creates an expectation, and then promptly resolves it.

By contrast, choice (C) create the same expectation, but then leaves us hanging longer. It's a little more ambiguous in (C) exactly which location is the one the author was suggesting in the first half of the sentence. This is somewhat analogous to my red sentence above --- the sentence creates a clear expectation, and then it is not so efficient about satisfying this expectation. That's a somewhat awkward move.

As I said above, the GMAT SC absolutely DO NOT test subtleties of this magnitude. The GMAT does not do a whole lot of this "building rhetorical tension" in sentence. The GMAT is much more straightforward and factual.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [1]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
binit wrote:
Hi Abhishek009 and souvik101990

Would you kindly present your analysis of the sentence? Why D is correct and other choices are wrong?

I have a doubt about D. It essentially says: A system will be more efficient than will a system. Doesn't it require a 'be' in the second part too, in order to maintain parallelism?

Pls reply. Thanks.

LUTHRASAGAR913
wrote:
i have a doubt regarding D option it says "the system" now this system can be commuter rail or any other system also....

I take the opportunity of stating my bit , daring to do so , however undoubtedly the OE and the best reply will surely be provided by souvik101990

Here the meaning of the sentence is clear it Compares -
Quote:
the efficiency of the commuter rail system of an a European city with the efficiency of the commuter rail system of an American city

In (D) we are comparing-

The commuter rail system in a European city with the commuter rail system in an American city

Further the choice (D) has the following issues -

1. Parallelism : in a European city ............. in an American city

2. Comparison : more .........than.........

So IMHO (D), souvik101990 awaiting your Official explanation...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [4]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Top Contributor
this question tests parallelism and comparisons. 'than' is a parallel marker.

A - the problem is with the word 'it'. It/they/them/their refer to the same copy, whereas those/that refer to a different copy. Another thing to remember is 'it' refers to the noun with all its modifiers. This option thus absurdly implies that the same commuter system is more efficient when it is used in Europe.
B - Let us rewrite this option - if the commuter system is placed in a European city instead of an American city, the commuter rail system will usually be five times more efficient. this is absurd. We cannot transfer the commuter system across continents.
C - This option compares "a commuter rail system" with "commuter rail system serving a comparable population in an American city" - Not parallel. We need to compare the commuter rail system in Europe to commuter rail system in US. Also, "a commuter rail system will usually be five times more efficient in a European city" implies that if we transfer a commuter system to Europe, it becomes more efficient.
D - correct answer. correct comparison between - 'a commuter rail system in a European city' and 'a system serving a comparable population in an American city'.
E - 'it' has the same problem as mentioned in A. 'if it is implemented ...' is also not parallel.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Is my thought process correct if I just look for the answer choice that has a "In a European City" closest to the start of the answer choice. I am doing so because the first part of the sentence is a modifier(?) that is modifying "A European City". So the answer choice has to be the one with the European City closest to the beginning.

This was just my 2 cents...

Also (as you can tell) I'm new to the forum. Are the verbal and math questions of the day - devised from GMAT Club Forum users, so anyone can create a question of the day? If not, who/where are the questions and answers coming from?

I'm noticing a surprising trend that a lot of the Quant questions test inane/slightly obscure concepts, but the Verbal questions are slightly more reasonable, yet still have a rough edge to them...

(could just be me tho)
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Keepushinalmosthere wrote:
Is my thought process correct if I just look for the answer choice that has a "In a European City" closest to the start of the answer choice. I am doing so because the first part of the sentence is a modifier(?) that is modifying "A European City". So the answer choice has to be the one with the European City closest to the beginning.

Also (as you can tell) I'm new to the forum. Are the verbal and math questions of the day - devised from GMAT Club Forum users, so anyone can create a question of the day? If not, who/where are the questions and answers coming from?

I'm noticing a surprising trend that a lot of the Quant questions test inane/slightly obscure concepts, but the Verbal questions are slightly more reasonable, yet still have a rough edge to them...

(could just be me tho)

The first part is not a modifier, but a dependent clause starting with "because". Hence the position of "in European city" is not critical to answer this question.

Your other queries about the questions of the day will be replied to shortly.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72859 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Keepushinalmosthere wrote:

(could just be me tho)

I don't want to imply anything but the quant questions are tricky questions from the GMAT Club tests. They are designed to test your knowledge, not make you feel comfy. These are 700+ level questions, so they tend to be unusual - often something you have not encountered before and something that requires you to think out of the box.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 590 Q45 V25
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM