Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 08:10

Hurry Up:

Last day of registration for Dealing with a Ding - Webinar by GMATClub and Admissionado Consulting.


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Anderson (UCLA): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
4 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Joined: 20 May 2013
Posts: 440
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.4
WE: Project Management (Investment Banking)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 170 [4] , given: 40

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Anderson (UCLA): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2013, 09:25
4
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Just had interview. Was a very laid back atmosphere (interviewer was wearing a polo, and looked like he was skyping out of his bedroom, which I found cool). My laptop crashed, and there seemed to be a bit of lag which threw off the flow a bit. But regardless, he was very nice and well spoken, no surprises on the questions:

Walk me through your resume
Why MBA
Why Anderson
How would your co-workers describe you
Strengths and weaknesses (asked for a 2nd weakness too)
Biggest accomplishment
Have I looked at who recruits at UCLA
What clubs would I join
short/long term goals

About 30 minutes long. He gave honest answers to questions, which I found refreshing. I'm really liking the Cali/UCLA culture. I got rejected from Columbia after interview, so UCLA is my first choice now.

Anybody know when they start releasing decisions?

Last edited by mgh234 on 13 Nov 2013, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.
Fuqua Thread Master
Joined: 28 Sep 2013
Posts: 110
Location: United States
Concentration: Nonprofit, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 48

Re: Anderson (UCLA): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2013, 09:43
yamus wrote:
Anyone attending Access Anderson or Women in the MBA on Thursday?


I originally signed up for both, but after finding out more about the Access Anderson event from the admissions office, I'm going to skip that one. It seems like it's basically going to be a much bigger information session with free food and mingling. I've sat through about 3 versions of info sessions at Anderson so I prob don't need another one.

I am thinking about popping in for the financial aid portion of Women in the MBA tomorrow, though, if I can get away from the office!
_________________

More thoughts at my blog: MBA the Nonprofit Way

Intern
Intern
Joined: 24 Oct 2013
Posts: 10
Location: United States (IL)
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q42 V45
GPA: 3.57
WE: Consulting (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 5

Re: Anderson (UCLA): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2013, 14:07
Regarding official documents, the interview e-mail says "We will update your ApplyYourself account within 5-7 business days of receiving your package, so please check there for your document status."

Can anyone confirm if that is the "Dashboard" portion of the application page? Where the application status and recommendation providers appear? Or somewhere else? I don't see a field for Document status, unless it's added later.
Fuqua Thread Master
Joined: 28 Sep 2013
Posts: 110
Location: United States
Concentration: Nonprofit, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 48

Re: Anderson (UCLA): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2013, 14:14
BinyaBinyaPollywog wrote:
Regarding official documents, the interview e-mail says "We will update your ApplyYourself account within 5-7 business days of receiving your package, so please check there for your document status."

Can anyone confirm if that is the "Dashboard" portion of the application page? Where the application status and recommendation providers appear? Or somewhere else? I don't see a field for Document status, unless it's added later.


I asked this exact question at the admissions office the other day. They told me that I'll see the updated status on the screen that appears after I log in, below the "APPLICATION STATUS: SUBMITTED" line.
_________________

More thoughts at my blog: MBA the Nonprofit Way

BSchool Forum Moderator
Joined: 20 May 2013
Posts: 440
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.4
WE: Project Management (Investment Banking)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 40

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Anderson (UCLA): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2013, 16:54
Expert's post
Any body know what percentage of people interviewed get accepted? Most schools it seems to be ~50-60%, but going by UCLA's last year thread, it looks higher for Anderson?
Intern
Intern
Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 32
GMAT 1: 760 Q V
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 22

Re: Anderson (UCLA): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2013, 12:17
mgh234 wrote:
Just had interview. Was a very laid back atmosphere (interviewer was wearing a polo, and looked like he was skyping out of his bedroom, which I found cool). My laptop crashed, and there seemed to be a bit of lag which threw off the flow a bit. But regardless, he was very nice and well spoken, no surprises on the questions:

Walk me through your resume
Why MBA
Why Anderson
How would your co-workers describe you
Strengths and weaknesses (asked for a 2nd weakness too)
Biggest accomplishment
Have I looked at who recruits at UCLA
What clubs would I join
short/long term goals

About 30 minutes long. He gave honest answers to questions, which I found refreshing. I'm really liking the Cali/UCLA culture. I got rejected from Columbia after interview, so UCLA is my first choice now.

Anybody know when they start releasing decisions?


Hi, already did the interview but need to submit hard copy of my transcripts. Adcom member indicated that they MIGHT start releasing decisions when they receive the documents. Deadline is Jan28th but decisions could come much sooner.

Hope it helps
5 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Joined: 20 May 2013
Posts: 440
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.4
WE: Project Management (Investment Banking)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 170 [5] , given: 40

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Anderson (UCLA): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2013, 13:59
5
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
luisoc1985 wrote:
mgh234 wrote:
Just had interview. Was a very laid back atmosphere (interviewer was wearing a polo, and looked like he was skyping out of his bedroom, which I found cool). My laptop crashed, and there seemed to be a bit of lag which threw off the flow a bit. But regardless, he was very nice and well spoken, no surprises on the questions:

Walk me through your resume
Why MBA
Why Anderson
How would your co-workers describe you
Strengths and weaknesses (asked for a 2nd weakness too)
Biggest accomplishment
Have I looked at who recruits at UCLA
What clubs would I join
short/long term goals

About 30 minutes long. He gave honest answers to questions, which I found refreshing. I'm really liking the Cali/UCLA culture. I got rejected from Columbia after interview, so UCLA is my first choice now.

Anybody know when they start releasing decisions?


Hi, already did the interview but need to submit hard copy of my transcripts. Adcom member indicated that they MIGHT start releasing decisions when they receive the documents. Deadline is Jan28th but decisions could come much sooner.

Hope it helps


Thanks, I went through last year's thread:

1) It looks like they released acceptance decisions in bulk the night before UCLA's winter vacation (Dec 18th I believe), for anyone interviewing in November. Anyone who interviewed later, or got waitlisted or denied got decisions in mid January.

2) Some information for people who didn't get an interview invites: for people from California, they released a few round 1 invites up until early January. A few people got not interview invite at all, and then got waitlist offer on January 22nd (with an interview request following), going by their statuses, many of them eventually got in. So don't give up hope yet.

3) UCLA also seems to be slower to respond (invites came later) and more competitive for international applicants (almost all the 750+ GMAT rejects are from India/China).

4) It also seems like a large percentage of people who interview get in, looks like 80-90% based on GMAT CLUB responses (and that was a year their acceptance rate dropped from 28% to 20% too). It may be a biased sample since I'm going by GMATCLUB posts, but if you get an interview, it seems like you should be optimistic about getting in.

Anyways, good luck everyone! If any of my research seems wrong, please correct.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 19 Aug 2013
Posts: 68
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.73
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 15

Re: Anderson (UCLA): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2013, 19:14
Hopefully the 80%-90% number is correct. I felt I bombed my interview :(

My interviewer didnt really ask anything about my resume other than for a quick summary of my background at the start. Seems that they put more emphasis on figuring whether your personality would fit the Anderson culture.

Posted from my mobile device Image
2 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Joined: 20 May 2013
Posts: 440
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.4
WE: Project Management (Investment Banking)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 170 [2] , given: 40

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Anderson (UCLA): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2013, 20:23
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
mukakucing wrote:
Hopefully the 80%-90% number is correct. I felt I bombed my interview :(

My interviewer didnt really ask anything about my resume other than for a quick summary of my background at the start. Seems that they put more emphasis on figuring whether your personality would fit the Anderson culture.

Posted from my mobile device Image


Don't sweat it man, for most people the interview doesn't matter that much, only for people right on the edge. As long as you put together coherent sentences and were somewhat personable, being slightly sub-par on the interview probably won't get you dinged. There are few schools that weigh the interview heavily (e.g. Kellogg), but most do not.

Everyone worries immensely about the essays and interviews (I know I did, I edited my first essay daily for a month straight), but the more I research it and talk to people, the more I realize GMAT/undergrad institution/GPA/Work Experience/and demographics really are 99% of the battle. A truly horrific interview or essay can definitely get you dinged, and a truly amazing one can help turn the tide, but for most people it won't be much of a factor.

With your stats I'd be shocked if they rejected you (especially if you have front office experience), with your GPA and GMAT.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
Joined: 20 May 2013
Posts: 30
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 18

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Anderson (UCLA): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2013, 03:17
mgh234 wrote:
mukakucing wrote:
Hopefully the 80%-90% number is correct. I felt I bombed my interview :(

My interviewer didnt really ask anything about my resume other than for a quick summary of my background at the start. Seems that they put more emphasis on figuring whether your personality would fit the Anderson culture.

Posted from my mobile device Image


Don't sweat it man, for most people the interview doesn't matter that much, only for people right on the edge. As long as you put together coherent sentences and were somewhat personable, being slightly sub-par on the interview probably won't get you dinged. There are few schools that weigh the interview heavily (e.g. Kellogg), but most do not.

Everyone worries immensely about the essays and interviews (I know I did, I edited my first essay daily for a month straight), but the more I research it and talk to people, the more I realize GMAT/undergrad institution/GPA/Work Experience/and demographics really are 99% of the battle. A truly horrific interview or essay can definitely get you dinged, and a truly amazing one can help turn the tide, but for most people it won't be much of a factor.

With your stats I'd be shocked if they rejected you (especially if you have front office experience), with your GPA and GMAT.

Posted from my mobile device Image

Is that really true? Would make me much more relaxed!! I worry so much about my essays. Not the greatest writer. :( II thought chances in general after Interview are aabout 50:50 for almost any school. Do they differ this much?
Fuqua Thread Master
Joined: 28 Sep 2013
Posts: 110
Location: United States
Concentration: Nonprofit, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 48

Re: Anderson (UCLA): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2013, 08:53
Hi all--interviewed on campus at Anderson recently. It was quick and straightforward. Some questions I received were:

    Why do you want an MBA and why now?
    Why Anderson?
    What is a significant leadership experience you’ve had?
    What is a past failure you’ve experienced?
    What clubs are you interested in at Anderson?
    What is a past conflict you’ve had with a supervisor, and how did you solve it?

Nothing out of the ordinary. I thought it went fine; it lasted 30 minutes.

More at my blog: http://mbathenonprofitway.wordpress.com/2013/11/15/ucla-anderson-interview-recap/
_________________

More thoughts at my blog: MBA the Nonprofit Way

BSchool Forum Moderator
Joined: 20 May 2013
Posts: 440
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.4
WE: Project Management (Investment Banking)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 40

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Anderson (UCLA): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2013, 09:43
Expert's post
cp4321 wrote:
mgh234 wrote:
mukakucing wrote:
Hopefully the 80%-90% number is correct. I felt I bombed my interview :(

My interviewer didnt really ask anything about my resume other than for a quick summary of my background at the start. Seems that they put more emphasis on figuring whether your personality would fit the Anderson culture.

Posted from my mobile device Image


Don't sweat it man, for most people the interview doesn't matter that much, only for people right on the edge. As long as you put together coherent sentences and were somewhat personable, being slightly sub-par on the interview probably won't get you dinged. There are few schools that weigh the interview heavily (e.g. Kellogg), but most do not.

Everyone worries immensely about the essays and interviews (I know I did, I edited my first essay daily for a month straight), but the more I research it and talk to people, the more I realize GMAT/undergrad institution/GPA/Work Experience/and demographics really are 99% of the battle. A truly horrific interview or essay can definitely get you dinged, and a truly amazing one can help turn the tide, but for most people it won't be much of a factor.

With your stats I'd be shocked if they rejected you (especially if you have front office experience), with your GPA and GMAT.

Posted from my mobile device Image

Is that really true? Would make me much more relaxed!! I worry so much about my essays. Not the greatest writer. :( II thought chances in general after Interview are aabout 50:50 for almost any school. Do they differ this much?



For the most part. Certain schools put more emphasis on certain things, for sure. I'm making the assumption that people applying to top 15 programs have basic grammar skills (which should be a given, due to the high GMAT scores needed to apply), and basic interview skills (since they are needed to get a decent job and promoted).

The point I'm trying to get across is to not stress about every word in an essay, or ever sentence during the interview (especially after the fact, revise essays and practice interviewing beforehand of course), in almost all cases, it's not going to be the deciding point if you get in or not. That said, if your essays shows a poor understanding of english (especially for non-US candidates), you say something completely inappropriate, or don't follow basic grammar rules...it can get you dinged. But most applicants won't fall into this trap. In the UCLA case, your essay doesn't need to be world changing and written like a nobel laureate, it just needs to plainly answer why MBA and Why UCLA.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 20 May 2013
Posts: 30
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 18

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Anderson (UCLA): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2013, 02:58
Thanks mgh234
Manager
Manager
Joined: 19 Dec 2011
Posts: 55
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q V
GPA: 3.48
WE: Other (Consumer Electronics)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Anderson (UCLA): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2013, 10:33
Folks any more interview updates on this thread ?
Intern
Intern
Joined: 19 Nov 2013
Posts: 1
GMAT 1: 730 Q V
GPA: 3.81
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Anderson (UCLA): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2013, 22:51
Had my interview at Anderson in the past few days and my experience largely paralleled that of others on here.

    Walk me through your resume.
    Why do you want an MBA and why now?
    Why Anderson?
    Where do you see yourself in 5 years? In 10 years?
    What is your leadership style?
    What is a significant leadership experience you’ve had?
    Which personal accomplishment or professional accomplishment that you are proud of?
    What is a past failure you’ve experienced?
    Any questions for me?

In addition to the above, I also got one industry specific question from my interviewer. He pulled it from a list provided by the admissions office. It was "what do you think about effect of X on the future of Y?" Where "X" is a recent trend and "Y" is the industry I've expressed a particular interest in pursuing after Anderson. It was a very easy question, however, and one that anyone interested in the field should be able to provide an opinion on.

Overall, a very relaxed and friendly experience.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 18 Aug 2013
Posts: 481
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 36

Re: Anderson (UCLA): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2013, 05:26
chemerinsky wrote:
Had my interview at Anderson in the past few days and my experience largely paralleled that of others on here.

    Walk me through your resume.
    Why do you want an MBA and why now?
    Why Anderson?
    Where do you see yourself in 5 years? In 10 years?
    What is your leadership style?
    What is a significant leadership experience you’ve had?
    Which personal accomplishment or professional accomplishment that you are proud of?
    What is a past failure you’ve experienced?
    Any questions for me?

In addition to the above, I also got one industry specific question from my interviewer. He pulled it from a list provided by the admissions office. It was "what do you think about effect of X on the future of Y?" Where "X" is a recent trend and "Y" is the industry I've expressed a particular interest in pursuing after Anderson. It was a very easy question, however, and one that anyone interested in the field should be able to provide an opinion on.

Overall, a very relaxed and friendly experience.


Thanks for sharing your experience! I wish you very best for the results!
Intern
Intern
Joined: 04 Nov 2013
Posts: 29
Location: Spain
WE: Law (Law)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 5

Re: Anderson (UCLA): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2013, 10:36
Hi,
Does anybody know when are you supposed to receive your interviewer's name for a Skype interview? Is it the day before the interview or you just have to wait to be contacted on the day of the interview?
I thought it was the day before but got the reminder and still no name, just wanted to check.
Many thanks in advance

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
Joined: 15 Jan 2012
Posts: 56
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: Anderson (UCLA): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2013, 10:41
lawgirl27 wrote:
Hi,
Does anybody know when are you supposed to receive your interviewer's name for a Skype interview? Is it the day before the interview or you just have to wait to be contacted on the day of the interview?
I thought it was the day before but got the reminder and still no name, just wanted to check.
Many thanks in advance


I interviewed a week back. Got the reminder, no interviewer contact. I emailed that ID which they had mentioned, no response. Also, contrary to what was mentioned on the website, I was interviewed by a senior member of the Admissions Committee and not a current 2nd year student. But the interview experience itself was very chill. Lasted around 35-40 minutes on Skype.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Joined: 20 May 2013
Posts: 440
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.4
WE: Project Management (Investment Banking)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 40

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Anderson (UCLA): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2013, 11:13
Expert's post
lawgirl27 wrote:
Hi,
Does anybody know when are you supposed to receive your interviewer's name for a Skype interview? Is it the day before the interview or you just have to wait to be contacted on the day of the interview?
I thought it was the day before but got the reminder and still no name, just wanted to check.
Many thanks in advance

Posted from my mobile device Image


I never got his name beforehand, I just got a skype message from him 15 minutes before the interview started. So you're not going to really have time to research the person.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 09 Jul 2013
Posts: 71
Location: Brazil
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Project Management (Investment Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 14

Re: Anderson (UCLA): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2013, 12:36
has any brazilian been invited?
Re: Anderson (UCLA): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants!   [#permalink] 21 Nov 2013, 12:36
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. New 13 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling all UCLA Anderson Fall 2010 applicants! bball2693 695 20 Sep 2009, 04:38
Popular new posts 52 Experts publish their posts in the topic UCLA Anderson 2012 - Calling All Applicants johnnyGMAT2k10 956 25 Aug 2011, 23:12
Sticky, new posts 56 Experts publish their posts in the topic Anderson (UCLA): FEMBA Class of 2017 Calling all applicants! prodizy 210 21 Apr 2013, 09:07
Sticky, new posts 9 Experts publish their posts in the topic Anderson(UCLA): Class of 2016- Calling all Admitted Students prodizy 34 23 Dec 2013, 04:37
Sticky, new posts 3 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling waitlisted applicants- UCLA Anderson Class of 2016 prodizy 12 28 Jan 2014, 21:51
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Anderson (UCLA): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  7   8   9   10   11   12   13  ...  53    Next  [ 1054 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.