Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:34 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10013 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
FROM Fuqua Current Student Blogs: From Soldier to Student to Student Leader
Being a Leader of Consequence…in China

Guest Blogger: Paul Escajadillo

Business school is as much about the journey as it is about the ultimate destination. To that end, over the last 10 months, my classmates and I have all been working hard to balance 4 competing categories of activities: academics, recruiting, social/club events, and our personal lives. The beauty (and frustration during core classes) of Fuqua’s 6-week terms is how little time we have to meet the rigorous demands of all these categories. We all learn (or are forced to learn) disciplined time management and make tradeoffs because overlapping events will inevitably occur. I had to learn what was most important to me: one extra hour of studying, preparing for an interview, or getting ready for “date night” with my wife. As she can attest, I didn’t always pick the right one.

After the summer and two fall terms, we were mostly done with core classes (leaving only Operations in Spring 1), and could focus on pursuing the electives and club leadership opportunities that interested us most while winding down our internship hunts. However, amidst the chaos that was Fall 1, I saw an opportunity for a future role that would best encapsulate why I enrolled in the Fuqua School of Business. Transitioning out of 7 years in the U.S. Army (as an enlisted man, no less), I knew I needed a rigorous foundation for business. I wanted to exit my comfort zone and immerse myself in the necessary elements to effectively implement successful business strategies, which more often than not have become global. The China Global Academic Travel Experience (GATE) seemed like the ideal elective: 6 weeks of classes followed by 2 weeks in the country. Why China? Well, while China’s export and import growth have recently slowed down from their unsustainable double digit increases, it is still the country to study when thinking about global business opportunities. A recent PwC report stated “China is projected to overtake the US as the largest economy by 2017 in purchasing power parity (PPP) terms and by 2027 in market exchange rate terms.”

I knew I wanted to learn as much as I could about the country, both from an academic and personal perspective. But I didn’t just want to learn: I wanted to lead. During my time in the Army, I was blessed enough to deploy multiple times and always return safely with those Soldiers under my care. I worked in a variety of positions and deployed to the countries of Ecuador, Colombia, and twice to Afghanistan. I wanted to complement real world leadership experience with the opportunity to travel to a continent I had not visited, while leading my fellow classmates to better understand and explore the business, economy, culture, and politics of a foreign country.

Paul’s team at the entrance to the Great Wall of China.

So, I applied to be a GATE Team Leader. As one member of a 5-person Team Leader group (Carson Rockett, Camden Yumori, Jessica Dennis, and Ben Markowitz round out the group), I was excited for Spring II to start. Prior to the trip, most of our duties revolved around preparing for the actual class with our professors (Jeannete Song and Dan Vermeer), and enlisting companies to host our 90+ students during our 2-week visit. It was rewarding work to see how family, friends, and strangers came together to help us in our quest. Now, during the actual visit, our jobs focused on the logistics of moving and maintaining accountability of 90+ students not just to and from different company and cultural visits, but also 4 different cities (Beijing, Chongqing, Chengdu, and Shanghai). Looking back, GATE truly represents the best opportunity for student leadership combined with academics.

In order to better tailor the visit I designed a survey for the registered students. My fellow team leaders and I were very pleased to see we had great representation from the major career tracks (consulting, finance, marketing, general management, and healthcare), but were actually surprised to learn that the most requested industry to visit was not electronics or energy, but the Chinese government. While we were unable to comply with this request, we were able to schedule a briefing by the U.S. Consulate in Chengdu, along with visits to Lenovo, Tsingua University, Coca-Cola, Changan Ford, New Oriental Education Company, the NBA, Wangjiang Industrial Co., P&G, Bloomberg, SanDisk, Wells Fargo, the Panda Breeding Research Center, GSK, and the Chengdu Airport Authority.

Ultimately, what we each desired to obtain from the trip was incredibly personal, but I think it can best be encapsulated by this anonymous respondent’s quote from our survey: “A better understanding of China and its past, as well as its expected future.”

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Best of luck to everyone tomorrow for R3 results!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Operations, General Management
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Today is the big day ! I am waitlisted and hoping to get off it today. Good luck to all!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 394 [4]
Given Kudos: 155
GMAT 1: 730 Q52 V37
Send PM
Kudos
Good luck to all R3 and waitlist applicants!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
farful wrote:
Good luck to all R3 and waitlist applicants!

Can international waitlisted candidates expect to hear good news from Fuqua today?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q46 V46
GPA: 2.32
WE:Corporate Finance (Computer Software)
Send PM
Anyone receive a call yet?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Healthcare, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
thefinancelady wrote:

Not here...I have to make a decision today though...So I am just going to give it a couple of more hours...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
lchique wrote:
thefinancelady wrote:

Not here...I have to make a decision today though...So I am just going to give it a couple of more hours...

Any good news from Fuqua yet? Anyone? It's 10:30 in Durham..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
Kudos
My girlfriend just got the call around 10:45AM ET. She had been waitlisted Round 2.

Guess we're both headed to Durham now!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.35
WE:Asset Management (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
breisch wrote:
My girlfriend just got the call around 10:45AM ET. She had been waitlisted Round 2.

Guess we're both headed to Durham now!

Congrats!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q36 V40
GPA: 2.97
WE:Brand Management (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
Friends, I was admitted off the Duke waitlist this morning at 8:00AM central time. I am located in Chicago.

I felt this update was the least I could do given the fact that I have been scouring these message boards since January.

Best of luck to all of you and thank you for helping me find my sanity going through this process. It is such a challenge and I am so glad that it is over for me but my heart goes out to those that are still in the struggle.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
dlbu1987 wrote:
Friends, I was admitted off the Duke waitlist this morning at 8:00AM central time. I am located in Chicago.

I felt this update was the least I could do given the fact that I have been scouring these message boards since January.

Best of luck to all of you and thank you for helping me find my sanity going through this process. It is such a challenge and I am so glad that it is over for me but my heart goes out to those that are still in the struggle.

Congrats! Hope to see you on campus.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
dlbu1987 wrote:

Congrats! Out of curiosity, did you do your interview on April 24th with a class visit and such? You bio reminds me of someone I was chatting with that day...

Edit: It looks like those who did not get the call have notification posted in their login. I'm still on the waitlist...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
dlbu1987 wrote:

congrats! what round did you apply in?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q36 V40
GPA: 2.97
WE:Brand Management (Health Care)
Send PM
I applied in Round 2.

homeone wrote:
dlbu1987 wrote:

congrats! what round did you apply in?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 394 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
GMAT 1: 730 Q52 V37
Send PM
It's over and I should probably stop refreshing this page, right?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
farful wrote:
It's over and I should probably stop refreshing this page, right?

I believe you should have either gotten the call or an email saying the decision was available online, the latter of which could mean you are on the waitlist or declined.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81   82   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts