Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 05:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 28 May 2014, 10:58
been 7 days of starting. thanks anyways
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT Date: 07-15-2014
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 31 May 2014, 13:58
My I ask you dear gmatclub members, why do you need to start from Math? Maybe it will be good idea to Math and Verbal simultaneously? Thank you
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 7

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2014, 23:15
Hi BB,

I appreciate this very comprehensive GMAT study plan. I've tried making general study plans before but I'm not sure if they're really applicable with GMAT. Getting to know the test through your useful links should be my top priority now. I'm just wondering why I have to start with the Math section on the first month? What's the advantage if I follow that? When I make study plans, I start with the hardest section to the easiest. Why should I just start with the section that I find easiest as opposed to starting with the hardest one? Waiting for your response. Thanks once again! Very helpful and thorough plan!

Best,

Garmahis :)

http://cheatsheetgmat.com
All GMAT Math Formulas you need to succeed!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2014, 21:53
Hello,
I am planning to give my GMAT in August end 2014. I am not really good at math or verbal either. I want to score between 680-720. Can anyone give me a 2 months exhaustive plan?? I am in desperate need of a study plan. I reviewed BB's study plan. It's really good and thorough but I needed a 2 months plan. I have GMAT OG-13, Manhattan Sentence Correction Guide and Power-score CR bible. (PDF versions, so no CD-ROMs or tests) Can anyone please suggest me what all other books I need to buy? Is Manhattan's Math Foundation a reliable book? Thanks!
Intern
Intern
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2014, 05:25
Dear fellow members can you please tell me how to start with grammar. If i cover each and every topics of "gmatclub Grammar Book" whether it will be sufficient or i need to start with any grammar book like Wren and Martin etc etc.

It’s not over until I say it’s over

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2014, 03:22
Brilliant guidance, thanks for this!

Constant, incessant practice is the key really isn't it.

One site I can't rave about enough is Business Because.

Very good for finding the right admissions consultants too!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.93
WE: Analyst (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2014, 05:27
Hey guys,

I took the GMAT about 4.5 years ago as an undergrad and didn't really know how to study for it. I kinda winged it, doing some problems for 1-2 hours per day for 12-13 days and took the test and hit 640. Since then, I've been through all 3 levels of the CFA program and have become a studying machine. I plan to start studying after the World Cup final and dedicate 9 weeks of 14-18 hours per week (130-160 hours) to studying for an early September test.

I'm targeting over 700 and would like to hit >720. Am I being realistic?

EDIT: I've got the MGMAT books, MGMAT Advanced Quant, OG, and Kaplan 800 to work with.
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2014, 03:17
Admin has shared very good study plan. Apart from online resources there is an alternate option to prepare for GMAT exam. Specially when you are finding it hard to take out more time. You can also study on mobile. There are many mobile App available in the market which offer good GMAT exam prep course like magoosh, gradestack and many more. The best part is that you can study on the go. Infact lot of students are using these app and finding it helpful. All the best with your preparation.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: HBS '18, Stanford '18
GMAT Date: 04-24-2013
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 52

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2014, 01:40
hi all

I think minimum 3 months to 6 months are required for GMAT specially if you are out of touch in studies. And for non-natives it is good to spend some work on fiction and magazine reading. Trust me this is not a crash-prep kind of examination.

regards
Siva
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.93

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2014, 11:28
sivaspurthy wrote:
hi all

I think minimum 3 months to 6 months are required for GMAT specially if you are out of touch in studies. And for non-natives it is good to spend some work on fiction and magazine reading. Trust me this is not a crash-prep kind of examination.

regards
Siva

I don't know many people that have spent six months studying for the GMAT. In my two month plan, I plan to log approximately 160 hours. I'm VERY much in touch with studying as I just finished preparing for L3 of the CFA exams. I can't see spending the same amount of time studying for the GMAT as I spent studying for CFA Level 2 (6 months), as there's but a fraction of the material there. Moreover, my job requires significant reading and writing for sophisticated audiences.
Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB '16
GPA: 3.07
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2014, 19:44
Hi BB,

I have started studying the MGMAT guides. I want to ask whether after reading formulae and theorem for say: geometry shall i solve the questions in OG and OG quants.Questions related to the specific topics are mentioned at the end on the MGMAT books.( As you must be already knowing). Or shall i finish going through the maths guides first and then start solving the questions.
Please advice me.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 17

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2014, 10:11
BB,
Thanks for the very helpful tips.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2014, 21:44
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Great post!

My name is Ani and I am from Lebanon-Beirut, Armenian and I am struggling with the GMAT. My highest score was 310 and I am stuck with a low GMAT score. I liked your post. I took several courses at GMAT, took several practice tests, Studied the OG, and read a lot of how to sit for the GMAT exam but in vain. When I submitted to the University in Beirut, the GMAT was not a requirement. I finished my MBA courses last year and defended my thesis successfully and now at the end I was not allowed to graduate because of my low GMAT score and that I have to submit a GMAT score of 450. I am stuck with a low GMAT score. I am very confused and do not know how to re-study. Now I hate GMAT. Is there any possibility that I can overcome this? Your advise is very much appreciated.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V32
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 12

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2014, 23:12
This post was
BOOKMARKED
This is an awesome post - made a big mistake by only looking at OG13 and not making full use of online forums for my prep.. Next time, I am sure I will crack it with help from people out here :)
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V32
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 12

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2014, 23:14
ANIB10 wrote:
Great post!

My name is Ani and I am from Lebanon-Beirut, Armenian and I am struggling with the GMAT. My highest score was 310 and I am stuck with a low GMAT score. I liked your post. I took several courses at GMAT, took several practice tests, Studied the OG, and read a lot of how to sit for the GMAT exam but in vain. When I submitted to the University in Beirut, the GMAT was not a requirement. I finished my MBA courses last year and defended my thesis successfully and now at the end I was not allowed to graduate because of my low GMAT score and that I have to submit a GMAT score of 450. I am stuck with a low GMAT score. I am very confused and do not know how to re-study. Now I hate GMAT. Is there any possibility that I can overcome this? Your advise is very much appreciated.

Hi Ani, what is the break-up of your quant and verbal scores?

If you are good at QA, I think you should focus on getting that to 40+ range and pulling your GMAT score to a good level.. all the best!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2014, 00:02
These all steps all very helpful for us and these clearly explain that "How to Start your GMAT Prep ". Thanks for this post..
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Other
GMAT Date: 07-31-2014
GPA: 3.99

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2014, 06:50
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2014, 11:06
Great Help !! I think this kind of road-map was much required before I start my prep. Kudos!!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2014, 04:52
Whether it is your first time or whether you have taken the GMAT test before and are hoping to better your score, we recommend the following

1. Personalize your practice test

Take an initial test to evaluate where you stand. You will know the areas that you need to work on. Try to follow a personalized study plan based on your strengths and areas for improvements.

2. Get familiar with the questions

Unless you know the type of questions that come on the GMAT, you cannot possibly practice. Get familiar with the question types by picking up a relevant and reliable practice book.

3. Practice a little each day

Don’t get burnt out; however, don’t procrastinate either. The best way to prep is practice each day. Remember it is important to practice on relevant material which will eventually help you get comfortable with all types of questions.

4. Take simulated tests

A GMAT standardized test is more a test of endurance than merely content. GMAT tests content that you have studied at some point in your life in school. Hence, more than content it tests how good a test taker you are. Make sure you time yourself to get a better feel of what the actual testing experience will be like. Schedule in section stops and breaks just like on test day. You should at least take 5 to 6 simulated tests with adequate sectional practice in between.
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2014, 01:39
Hi All
I have just given a Princeton review mock and i got 31 out 41 questions correct with just 29 score. followings questions were wrong 1, 7, 8, 12, 20, 21, 23, 25, 29 and 30. Is the score correct. Please help.

Regards

Raman Goel
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep   [#permalink] 03 Aug 2014, 01:39