It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 08:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 10

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2014, 13:53
Hi Radd3,

There's a thread on this forum that lists books: best-gmat-books-latest-update-118706.html. Hope you find it helpful.

If you find that you need to take a course to help you prepare for the GMAT, there are various courses that can help. Be sure to sign up for free trials to see which suits your needs. You can sign up for the Economist GMAT Tutor here: http://econgm.at/freetrialoffer.

Jessica

radd3 wrote:
Hi,
I am planning to write GMAT in 3-4 months. I am first time going to start the preparation. Can you guide me in selecting which books i should buy.

Way long time back my strength was math and analytics (10 years back). Its long time i have taken any test. so, no idea on math and analytics type of questions these days

My weakness is english that time.

Considering all these, please suggest me good books i can buy and any free links. I dont want to buy and get worried that i didnt cover all.

I want to take your suggestion and prepare in the right direction.

Please also suggest me if i need to buy anything for taking practice tests (once i am ready after preparation for 2 months) or anything available online for free

Thanks

http://econgm.at/freetrialoffer
For free GMAT practice questions, follow us @econgmat_qs
Economist GMAT Tutor
(866) 292-0660

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 10

Economist GMAT Tutor Discount CodesEMPOWERgmat Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 37

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2015, 11:58
Hi bb

I am new to the club (active now) and I have gone though some of your posts. I have just spent 4 to 5 hours and I already feel great.
I am just writing to convey my thanks (many more to come) for:

> Providing an excellent real-time platform
> Narrowing the google search ' ALL ABOUT GMAT' to one dynamic website
> Brilliant strategies on How to prepare for GMAT, increase scores in quant and verbal, etc.
> Loved the concept of error log (had done this in 2010 while preparing for Indian MBA exams)
> Discounted marketplace enabling comparison of GMAT resources via real reviews
> Quality free downloads (Your Grammar and Math books)
> Platform for engaging with many of the top admission consultants

Your posts have really helped me narrow down my study material and plan my study strategy. I will continue reading the posts here. And soon will start contributing to the discussions. My major obstacle is that I work in an investment bank (avg. 12 hours a day) with no access to this website, hence only find time during the weekends. But will surely contribute in the coming time.

Regards,
Gaurav.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 37

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 58

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2015, 07:33
Nice post bb hatsoff.I have started studying and its good to see that i still remember many concepts now.i will try to stick to these study pattern for the next three months:)

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 58

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2015, 09:20
Hello BB,

I am a mediocre student having around 65% in all exams. I am preparing for GMAT and targeting score of around 730. Currently i have MGMAT guide for Quant, SC, RC & CR. I also have 12th and 15th adtn of Official Guide. This is enough or i should go for any thing else. I am not good in verbal and i am from India.

I am working since last 7 years and can not give more than 2 hrs. every day and 5-6 hours on Sundays.

Please advice me regarding study plan and books to be followed..

Himanshu Savarn

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2015, 03:56
Hello Everyone,

Start your preparation with a mock test. This would not only familiarize you with the test format but also help you to identify your strong and weak areas.
Post this, make a study plan for yourself which should give you time enough to cover your basics and also let you attempt a lot of practice questions. Start with 2 hours per day and gradually increase it to 4 hours and eventually 6 hours per day as you approach the test date.
Once you are over with your basics get hold of as many practice test as you can. Start attempting them. Now, understand that more than giving a practice test, it is critical how much time you spend on analyzing your performance in the same. Typically, if you spend 2 hours in taking a mock test, spend 4-5 hours in analyzing it. Go over each and every question and find out a better, smarter and a faster way to solve each question. Take a note of all the points and make sure you apply them in the next test.

The key is to keep improving every day.

Lastly, find a mentor, join a coaching institute or be a part of a study group.I suggest this because the biggest challenge in GMAT preparation is to be able to stay motivated and committed throughout the duration of your preparation.
Hope this helps.Wish you the best.
(www.manyagroup.com)

Best wishes,
Team Manya-The Princeton Review

E:info@manyagroup.com
T: 1800-102-4646
http://www.manyagroup.com

http://goo.gl/hpmXBk

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

WE: Other (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2015, 10:52
Hi all,

I'm planning to sit for GMAT around April/May, which gives me some 3-4 months to prepare.
My idea is to dedicate some 1-2h during evenings and around 4h on weekends (most likely on Sundays, as I volunteer on Saturdays).

After browsing some posts and checking out GMATClub partners, I thought it would be a good idea to follow Magoosh's 3-month study schedule (I can't post links yet, but this can be easily Googled) - I'm still unsure whether I'll subscribe to their Premium account or to a local prep course with a webinar-based method (pretty much similar to the Magoosh videos, but focused in Quant only).
Apart from that, I also have the 2015 OG bundle (Review, Quant and Verbal) and Kaplan GMAT Premier.

I'd like your 2 cents on the following:

1) For those of you who subscribed to Magoosh Premium, do you think it was worth the investment? How has it helped you improve your scores?
2) Would it be better to stick to OG, as indicated in the Magoosh study schedule, or start prepping with Kaplan and then go back to the OG?
3) How can I best benefit from Quant and Verbal OG books?

I haven't taken GMATPrep's diagnostic test, but I took the one right in the beginning of OG. Since my overall outcome was average, there's a lot of room for improvements; therefore, any other suggestions or comments regarding this study plan would be highly appreciated.

Many thanks!

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2015, 05:48
Hi Fdsimm,

The best way to decide on which institute to join is, to visit some of the coaching centers close to your home and interact with their expert counselors. Ask all your questions and try to understand if your queries are being addressed well. Also try to seek out testimonials from existing and past students. You can also appear for a mock test with them and see how comfortable you are in your interactions.

And to decide on what schedule to follow for your preparation, we would advice you to follow the below steps to score well in your GMAT exam.

1. Start with a mock test. This will help you identify your strong and weak areas
2. If you plan to do self study, get your hands on the best preparatory material available in the market. You can speak to your seniors, get feedback on forums like pagalguy to seek out the best in the market
3. Joining a coaching institute is recommended because it gives a structure to your preparation. Remember cracking GMAT is not just about working hard but working smart as well
4. Make a study time table for yourself that suits you best. You can start with spending 2 hours every day and as you move closer to your test date, start increasing your study hours
5. Keep taking mock tests in real test taking situations. However, more important than taking a mock test is to analyse your performance in the same. If you spend 2 hours on a mock test, spend 6 hours in analysing the same. Figure out ways by which you can continuously keep improving your score
7. Make sure you stay consistent with your schedule. This is extremely important

You can also check our GMAT online course on the link below

http://www.manyagroup.com/gmat-online

Hope the above information helps. In case, you have any further queries, please do let us know and we would be happy to help.
www.manyagroup.com

Best wishes,

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2015, 23:52
Hello All,

Attend Our Webinar Today: Options are still open to Study Abroad, Fall 2015!

Date: Wednesday, January 14th 2015

Time: 6:00 pm to 7:00 pm

Regsiter for Free: http://www.manyagroup.com/admissionwebinar/

www.manyagroup.com

Best wishes,

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2015, 01:08
This is such a valuable GMAT study plan for all those who are doing this course. If these steps are applied, passing the test won’t be hard at all.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2015, 12:24
Hi BB,

I have just joined GMAT club and I must say you have done a great job by creating this forum. Its so very helpful. The above GMAT study plan is also very good.

Unfortunately I don't think I can follow this study plan because my exam is on 23rd march. It's a retake. In my first attempt I got 480 :(

Could you suggest me a study plan and material so that I can atleast get a minimum of 50 points rise :| or a more realistic rise in scores?

Let me know if you need to know anything more about me that will help you to suggest me a study plan.

Thanks in advance.

-Sincerely,
desperate to improve my GMAT scores !!!

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

GPA: 3.25

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2015, 05:40
Hi BB,

Just wanted to introduce myself as a new member. I'm planning on taking the GMAT around june/july 2015 and would like an idea on what courses offer the best guides for studying.

I took a practice exam and scored Q40 and V30. I'm a little weak on the verbal side and not as strong as I wanted to be on the quantitative side. I'm looking to try and obtain a Q50/51 and a V40+ in order to get into my target schools.

I checked out MGMAT prep and Veritas prep, which one would you prefer?

Thanks,
Tri Nguyen

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2015, 07:24
This post was
BOOKMARKED
tringuyen0243 wrote:
Hi BB,

Just wanted to introduce myself as a new member. I'm planning on taking the GMAT around june/july 2015 and would like an idea on what courses offer the best guides for studying.

I took a practice exam and scored Q40 and V30. I'm a little weak on the verbal side and not as strong as I wanted to be on the quantitative side. I'm looking to try and obtain a Q50/51 and a V40+ in order to get into my target schools.

Thanks,
Tri Nguyen

This is where I am right now as well. I plan on taking it in the next 3 months and am not sure If I want to take MGMAT Interact, MGMAT Online or Veritas online. Any thoughts?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-09-2015
GPA: 3.87
WE: General Management (Internet and New Media)

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2015, 15:02
Hi Everyone,
I am a new member here. I am giving myself 4 months to prepare for the GMAT and I have currently developed a 3 month study plan. I have not scheduled a test yet but I want to tentatively take it on July 9th. I will really take into account how I am progressing as I move forward in my studies to decide whether I will take the test earlier than my tentative date. That being said I have developed the attached study plan. By the end of month 1 I need to be 100% confident I can move on from Quant to Verbal as I feel Quant is my weakest point which is why I have left a little room to play with it as I move along. If all goes well in Month 1 then by the end of month 3 I might schedule my test for early June.

My goal is a 750. I have not included any materials yet. I plan on getting all my materials in February so any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
Attachments

File comment: Work in Progress
GMAT 3 Month Study Schedule.xlsx [16.45 KiB]
Downloaded 47 times

To download please login or register as a user

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2015, 00:14
tringuyen0243 wrote:

Thanks,
Tri Nguyen

Hi Tri Nguyen,

To decide on which course and coaching center to join, the best way is to visit some of the coaching centers close to your home and interact with their expert counselors. Ask all your questions and try to understand if your queries are being addressed well. To understand better, take a mock test with them and discuss your performance in detail with the faculty there.

For Manya Abroad - The Princeton Review GMAT courses, you can visit on the link below:

http://www.manyagroup.com/princeton-review-gmat-course

It would be best if you start reading articles, science journals , business tabloids and read them online and figure out for yourself if you can understand the language and the main idea present in the passage. This would be a better way to tackle vocabulary on the GMAT and improve your verbal score.

Best wishes,

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2015, 00:20
vanessalinares wrote:
Hi Everyone,
I am a new member here. I am giving myself 4 months to prepare for the GMAT and I have currently developed a 3 month study plan. I have not scheduled a test yet but I want to tentatively take it on July 9th. I will really take into account how I am progressing as I move forward in my studies to decide whether I will take the test earlier than my tentative date. That being said I have developed the attached study plan. By the end of month 1 I need to be 100% confident I can move on from Quant to Verbal as I feel Quant is my weakest point which is why I have left a little room to play with it as I move along. If all goes well in Month 1 then by the end of month 3 I might schedule my test for early June.

My goal is a 750. I have not included any materials yet. I plan on getting all my materials in February so any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Hi vanessalinares,

To improve on your quant I would advise you to study one topic at a time and solve all the questions related to it in a one go.Do prepare some notes of the formulas and numbers.Prepare all the topics in this manner.Once completed start solving only the quant section from the GMAT practice tests.Once you are able to score well, start solving the section setting time limits.Practicing this way will definitely pull up your quant score.

To understand the role of study material in your exam scores you can refer to our blog on the below link.These blogs will help you in your GMAT preparation a lot.

http://blog.manyagroup.com/detail.html?authorid=59

To refer to our all the blogs click here:

http://blog.manyagroup.com/index.html?url=Tips-Info

Hope this helps.Let us know if you require any further guidance regarding your GMAT preparation.
www.manyagroup.com

Best wishes,

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2015, 01:28
pathfinder2014 wrote:
I have just joined GMAT club and I must say you have done a great job by creating this forum. Its so very helpful. The above GMAT study plan is also very good.

Unfortunately I don't think I can follow this study plan because my exam is on 23rd march. It's a retake. In my first attempt I got 480 :(

Could you suggest me a study plan and material so that I can atleast get a minimum of 50 points rise :| or a more realistic rise in scores?

Let me know if you need to know anything more about me that will help you to suggest me a study plan.

Thanks in advance.

-Sincerely,
desperate to improve my GMAT scores !!!

Hi pathfinder2014,

As you are retaking your GMAT, we are assuming that you are thorough with your basics.We would advise you to take as many practice tests as possible.However, more important than taking a mock test is to analyse your performance in the same. If you spend 2 hours on a mock test, spend 6 hours in analyzing the same. Figure out ways by which you can continuously keep improving your score. Make sure you stay consistent with your schedule. This is extremely important.

Also keep reading our blogs at the link below.This will be helpful for your GMAT preparation.

http://blog.manyagroup.com/index.html?url=Tips-Info

Let us know if you have any further queries regarding your GMAT preparation.

Best wishes,

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 11

Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
WE: Analyst (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2015, 05:03
Hi All,

I am in Bangalore, India. I want to sell my used 3 month old Manhattan GMAT Series + Foundations of Math and Verbal books. In total there are 12 books and all are 5th edition. The price is negotiable. Interested buyers please send me a PM or reply in this post.

P.S - The complete list of books

GMAT Roadmap
Fractions, Decimals, & Percents GMAT Strategy Guide
Algebra GMAT Strategy Guide
Word Problems GMAT Strategy Guide
Geometry GMAT Strategy Guide
Number Properties GMAT Strategy Guide
Critical Reasoning GMAT Strategy Guide
Reading Comprehension GMAT Strategy Guide
Sentence Correction GMAT Strategy Guide
Integrated Reasoning & Essay GMAT Strategy Guide
Foundations of Math
Foundations of Verbal

Apologies if this is considered as spam!

Regards,
Newfish

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 11

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2015, 00:21
This post received
KUDOS
I am new here and this post is helpful to me because lots of information I get from here.

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2015, 01:57
I am intrested in buying. My contact number is 9442798124.

Current Student

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2015, 20:37
Hey there GMAT Club users,

I have taken my first test this previous December and scored pretty low. I registered for the Economist prep in January to relearn my foundations and scored mid 600's. I am now stuck wondering how I can pursue with my study plan to break the 700+ score. The study assets that I have available are as follows:

MGMAT strategy guides and 4 CATs(also question banks for each guide)
Magoosh (Have taken both CATs and 99% of question bank, would have to reset)
Economist Prep(80% of course complete, in maintenance mode currently answering timed practice questions. Also have 3 more CATs, 5+ live tutoring sessions left, and 5 AWA prompts to be submitted for review)
GMAT Club tests ( Just recently bought with 1000+ questions)

How can I effectively use the study assets above to break the 700+ score level? I believe my foundations are strong and I know my weak areas (percentages, parts problems, number properties, I really need to start keeping an error log though). I can allocate two months of study so I'm not rushed. My last CAT was a 640 from economist with Q48 V31. Thanks!

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep   [#permalink] 08 Mar 2015, 20:37

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40  ...  43    Next  [ 849 posts ] 

GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap