Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 04:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

It is called a sea, but the landlocked Caspian is actually

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

It is called a sea, but the landlocked Caspian is actually [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 19:17
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

81% (01:49) correct 19% (00:59) wrong based on 109 sessions
It is called a sea, but the landlocked Caspian is actually the largest lake on Earth, which covers more
than four times the surface area of its closest rival in size, North America's Lake Superior.

(A) It is called a sea, but the landlocked Caspian is actually the largest lake on Earth, which covers
(B) Although it is called a sea, actually the landlocked Caspian is the largest lake on Earth,which covers
(C) Though called a sea, the landlocked Caspian is actually the largest lake on Earth, covering
(D) Though called a sea but it actually is the largest lake on Earth, the landlocked Caspian covers
(E) Despite being called a sea, the largest lake on Earth is actually the landlocked Caspian, covering

( This option D cannot find an error with it :( ...)

Though called a sea but it actually is the largest lake on Earth, the landlocked Caspian covers more than four times the surface area of its closest rival in size, North America's Lake Superior.

Please let me know your thoughts.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
3 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 440 [3] , given: 248

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: It is called a sea, but the landlocked Caspian is actually [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2012, 08:56
This post received
KUDOS
which can jump over small intervening constructions to modify the noun or noun phrase, provided those constructions also modify the preciding noun and cannot be placed anywhere else in the sentence. In A and B the prepositional phrase 'on earth' doesnot directy modify caspian and it can be shifted around.so which cannot jump.

Posted from my mobile device Image
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 440 [1] , given: 248

Re: SC from OG-13 [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 20:13
This post received
KUDOS
pankajjindal25 wrote:
It is called a sea, but the landlocked Caspian is actually the largest lake on Earth, which covers more
than four times the surface area of its closest rival in size, North America's Lake Superior.

(A) It is called a sea, but the landlocked Caspian is actually the largest lake on Earth, which covers
(B) Although it is called a sea, actually the landlocked Caspian is the largest lake on Earth,which covers
(C) Though called a sea, the landlocked Caspian is actually the largest lake on Earth, covering
(D) Though called a sea but it actually is the largest lake on Earth, the landlocked Caspian covers
(E) Despite being called a sea, the largest lake on Earth is actually the landlocked Caspian, covering

Though called a sea but it actually is the largest lake on Earth, the landlocked Caspian covers more than four times the surface area of its closest rival in size, North America's Lake Superior.

In (D) Though-----------But -- construction makes this choice incorrect. You do not need two terms to show the contrast, additionally the placement of modifier should be closer to the subject (as done in C.

HTH

How to CHOOSE your Business School
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources such as 1000 series.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 689

Kudos [?]: 3028 [1] , given: 890

Re: SC from OG-13 [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 00:44
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The most important thing to worry about D here is that its a run on sentence.

Though called a sea but it actually is the largest lake on Earth---Complete sentence
the landlocked Caspian covers more than four times the surface area of its closest rival in size, North America's Lake Superior.- Complete sentence.
They dont make sense together without using some subordinating conjunction.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 440 [1] , given: 248

Re: SC from OG-13 [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 04:34
This post received
KUDOS
dentobizz wrote:
pankajjindal25 wrote:

In (D) Though-----------But -- construction makes this choice incorrect. You do not need two terms to show the contrast, additionally the placement of modifier should be closer to the subject (as done in C.

HTH

additionally the sentence structure of C is correct { clause modifier, complete sent/ independent clause, participial modifier}
while D has {clause/incomplete sentence, coordinating conj.(but), independent clause, independent clause}--a coordinating conjunction can only join 2 independent clauses ie complete sentences NOT a clause and a sentence as done in D {Though called a sea but it actually is the largest lake on Earth}. Moreover to join to independent clauses you need comma+for/and/nor/but/or/yet/so or semicolon but ( it actually is the largest lake on Earth, the landlocked Caspian covers -----uses only a comma that is wrong.

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 643 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: SC from OG-13 [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 20:23
Expert's post
pankajjindal25 wrote:

The logic of the sentence is :
even though caspian sea is called a sea, it is actually the largest landlocked lake on earth that bla bla bla.

The sentence needs a contrast, but the answer choice A doesn't shows it.

B uses a "contrast" word but has a modifier issue. The "although" clause expects a "landlocked caspian" just after a comma but instead it gets "actually".

C correctly uses "though", implying to show contrast.

The correct way "though" is used is:
Though [clause], [Independent clause].
D incorrectly uses without using a comma. Moreover it also uses SECOND CONTRAST word "BUT" which doesn't adds to the meaning.

E is wrong in that it changes the sequence of the sentence.
It should be" Despite being called a sea, the landlocked caspian is actually the largest lake on earth".

C sounds fine.
+1C

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Expert Post
Followers: 310

Kudos [?]: 2605 [0], given: 696

Re: SC from OG-13 [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 08:18
Expert's post
D also does not have sense because it seems clearly as the SEA is the largest lake in the world. If you read carefully you can figure out the error almost almost immediately

Me too tought about D and I picke it in first instance.

Correct me if I'm wrong :)

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: SC from OG-13 [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 08:42
Expert's post
Hii Carcass.
I feel otherwise.
It seems that what is being called as sea is actually the largest lake on earth.
For your assistance, I am again quoting that below: Though called a sea but it actually is the largest lake on Earth.
I hope you get what I intend to mean.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting

Expert Post
Followers: 310

Kudos [?]: 2605 [0], given: 696

Re: It is called a sea, but the landlocked Caspian is actually [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 09:29
Expert's post
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 39

Re: It is called a sea, but the landlocked Caspian is actually [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2012, 07:32
This is #49 in og13 which is problematic

A and B are wrong only because "which..." is far from "largest lake". but this is not an absolute error but inferiou error because in many gmatprep questions, "which relative clause "modifying slighly far noun appears in correct answer. e gmat has an artical talking of this point. pls search to find the artical.

there is no other errors in A and B.

is my thinking correct. ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: It is called a sea, but the landlocked Caspian is actually [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 00:23
dentobizz wrote:
which can jump over small intervening constructions to modify the noun or noun phrase, provided those constructions also modify the preciding noun and cannot be placed anywhere else in the sentence. In A and B the prepositional phrase 'on earth' doesnot directy modify caspian and it can be shifted around.so which cannot jump.

great reply but not clear, pls help

because "is " is state verb, "which" can modify "greatest lake on earth". This means "which" can jum over "on earth" to modify "greatest lake" and A and B is correct.

I learn gmat incorrectly which is hard.

this sentence is wrong be cause "incorrectly" dose not modify "gmat" and "which" can not jump over "gmat" to modify "gmat"

pls help. I am confused.

I think A and B is correct.
if we think that "which" modifying slightly far noun is inferior, A and B can be eliminated.

pls help
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: It is called a sea, but the landlocked Caspian is actually [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 03:06
Expert's post
thangvietnam wrote:
dentobizz wrote:

because "is " is state verb, "which" can modify "greatest lake on earth". This means "which" can jum over "on earth" to modify "greatest lake" and A and B is correct.

this sentence is wrong be cause "incorrectly" dose not modify "gmat" and "which" can not jump over "gmat" to modify "gmat"

pls help. I am confused.

if we think that "which" modifying slightly far noun is inferior, A and B can be eliminated.

pls help

A piece of information that can suffice everyone here.

Subject never resides in prepositional phrase, EXCEPT when quantity is expressed.
Consider an example:
The box of nails, which is black in color, is kept on the table.
Here the prepositional phrase is "of nails". But it can't be the subject because we have not used any quantity word here.
Now consider this:
Some of the stones, which were thrown by Sam in Thames, were round in shape.
Here the prepositional phrase is "of the stones" but since SOME is a quantity word here, hence subject is "stones" not "some of the stones".

More example to clear the doubt. (The subject is green in color.)
1) Seven of the eleven medals, which were all gold, were won by Jamaican sprinters.
2) Most of the bananas have been bought from the nearby market.
3) A number of supporters of the the campaign have extended their support for Democratic Party.
4) THE number of birds migrating to the Marina Beach is increasing year by year.

So remember one thing, if any quantity word precedes the prepositional phrase, then your subject will reside in the prepositional phrase.

In the question above, "greatest lake on Earth, which...." here which will modify greatest lake only not Earth.

Hope that will clear all your doubt.

Rules For Posting

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 440 [0], given: 248

Re: It is called a sea, but the landlocked Caspian is actually [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 08:40
thangvietnam wrote:
dentobizz wrote:

pls help. I am confused.

pls help

Hi thang,
I will try and give you an explanation as Ron had given about usage of which

Usage of which--Ron mgmt
nouns that are modified by prepositional phrases can still be the referent of 'which' even if they are a few words distant from it.
This usually happens when the immediately preceding noun is grammatically incompatible with the verb after "which".

For example: "The picture of my brothers, which was taken last year in Mexico, is one of my favorites."

You might object to this sentence on the grounds that 'which' might be taken to modify 'brothers'. And, in a strict sort of way, you'd be right.
But here's the catch: There's really no other reasonable way to write this sentence. You just can't get 'picture' next to the 'which' clause without creating total nonsense, or splitting the sentence into 2 smaller sentences.
plus, 'brothers' is plural, and is incompatible with 'which WAS'.
This is an interesting point, though, and subtle at that.

Marcab's example above are good as well. They can help you understand.

I learn gmat incorrectly which is hard.--WRONG
I learn Gmat, copyright of Gmac, which is hard exam--correct
I incorrectly learn gmat, which is hard--Correct

If doubts remain , do post in the forum again.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: IE '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: -15 [0], given: 0

Re: It is called a sea, but the landlocked Caspian is actually [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 16:17
D has two errors:-
1. Though and But both cannot be used at the same time
2. Meanind issue, it seems that the caspian covers the same are as its rival.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: It is called a sea, but the landlocked Caspian is actually [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 05:22
thank you , dentobiz

the explanation of Ron is correct and concise. I write again

if you have: X of Y, which

if Y work, which refer to Y
if Y dose not work, and X work, which refer to X

I understand that if Y is eligible to be modified by "Which", "which" refers to Y regardless of X which can be eligible or not eligible to be modified by "which" . Y has priority. if Y is eligible, "which" must refer to Y
come back to the question here,

because "earth" is eligible to be modified by "which covers", this phrase refers to "earth" and this make no sense, A and B are wrong.

the e-gmat artical is different. according to this article, "which "can jump to modify the far noun if the prepositional phrase following the noun modifies that noun and can not be placed in other place. This is quite different. According to this article, "earth" can be placed in somewhere else and "which" can not jump. A and B are wrong.

so, e gmat article succefully defense why A and B are wrong. I am satisfied. but this method require us to test whether the prepotional phase following the noun can be placed in other place. this job is time consuming.

regarding the Ron' rule. to defense A and B are wrong, we have to admit that " earth" is eligible to be modified by "which" and this make no sense.
I find it hard to admit that "earth" is eligible to be modified by "which.

pls explain clearly why A and B are wrong. pls explain what method do you use, e gmat method or Ron's method.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: It is called a sea, but the landlocked Caspian is actually [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 05:25
another point,

Ron said
"which" is alway preceded by comma on gmat

I understand that "which clause" on gmat alway shows non restrictive information. this is different from general grammar in which "which clause" can refer to restrictive or non restrictive information and can go with or without comma

is my thinking correct?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: It is called a sea, but the landlocked Caspian is actually [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 06:05
both e gmat article and Ron' rule are correct but not enough,

I summarize as following

if we have : X of Y, which

"which" can jump to modify X if both followings are met:
- Y is not elible to be modified by "which"
- Y modifies X and can not be placed elswhere

if Y is eligible to be modified by "which", "which" modify Y

if I have

the boxes of toys, which are nice, are mine

then
"which" modifies "toys", of course.

pls confirm above thinking. Thank you
SVP
SVP
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: It is called a sea, but the landlocked Caspian is actually [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2014, 00:42
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: It is called a sea, but the landlocked Caspian is actually   [#permalink] 22 Sep 2014, 00:42