Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:50 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [12]
Given Kudos: 68
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
WE:Education (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 345 [0]
Given Kudos: 854
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [3]
Given Kudos: 283
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619189 [2]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Re: Muriel: I admire Favilla’s novels, but she does not deserve to be cons [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
savwildeye wrote:

Own Kudos [?]: 265 [3]
Given Kudos: 161
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Re: Muriel: I admire Favilla’s novels, but she does not deserve to be cons [#permalink]
Kudos
vivek6199 wrote:
Muriel: I admire Favilla’s novels, but she does not deserve to be considered a great writer. The point is that, no matter how distinctive her style may be, her subject matter is simply not varied enough.

John: I think you are wrong to use that criterion. A great writer does not need any diversity in subject matter; however, a great writer must at least have the ability to explore a particular theme deeply.

John’s statements commit him to which one of the following position?

(A) Even if the subject matter in Favilla’s writings is not particularly varied, she should not thereby be excluded from being considered a great writer.

(B) Even if Favilla cannot explore any particular theme deeply in her writings, she should not thereby be excluded from being considered a great writer.

(C) If Favilla has explored some particular theme exceptionally deeply in her writings, she deserves to be considered a great writer.

(D) If the subject matter in Favilla’s writings were exceptionally varied, she would not deserve to be considered a great writer.

(E) If Favilla’s writings show no evidence of a distinctive style, she does not deserve to be considered a great writer.

The questions asks what can be reasonable concluded from John's statement.
Options A and C are the two most selected choices, so let's look at them individually.

(C) If Favilla has explored some particular theme exceptionally deeply in her writings, she deserves to be considered a great writer.
John says that for a writer to be considered great, the writer must at least have the ability to explore a particular theme deeply.
However, is the ability to explore a particular theme deeply SUFFICIENT for that writer to be considered great? NO!.
Therefore, we cannot reasonably conclude option C.

(A) Even if the subject matter in Favilla’s writings is not particularly varied, she should not thereby be excluded from being considered a great writer.
CORRECT. "A great writer does not need any diversity in subject matter" < This statement helps us conclude option A.

A is correct.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Muriel: I admire Favilla’s novels, but she does not deserve to be cons [#permalink]
I remember reading a post by Bunuel that said, A -> B then B-> A cannot be concluded but ~B->~A can be concluded.
I think, this question fits that framework, i.e., Great Writer -> Deep Explorer but DE -> GW is wrong. Hence, Eliminate C.

Coming to A, even if SM is not varied - that's good because atleast John does not care about SM. All he cares about is exploring deeply which still is very much on the cards. So, we good.

Any comments Bunuel? Would love know if I got the essence of your framework correctly.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 542 [2]
Given Kudos: 1656
Send PM
Muriel: I admire Favilla’s novels, but she does not deserve to be cons [#permalink]
Kudos
RamseyGooner

Just in case Bunuel doesn’t come, I’ll give you my thoughts (maybe they will be helpful).

John writes:

(1)
“A great writer does not need any diversity in subject matter.”

IF: a person CAN be considered a great writer —————> THEN: NOT required to have diversity in subject matter

(2)
“However, a great writer must at least have the ability to explore a particular theme deeply.”

IF: a great writer ———> THEN: at the very least, that person must have the ability to explore a theme deeply.

(C)”if Favilia has explored some particular theme deeply in her writings, she DESERVES to be considered a great writer.”

What’s given in the 2nd mapped statement in the “IF-THEN” conditionals above is just one pre-requirement for a person to be considered a great writer.

The formal logical fallacy made in (C), with respect to the (2nd) mapped statement above, is given the nickname of the “mistaken reversal.”

Just because one of the pre-conditions is met to be considered a great writer, this does not necessarily mean the person IS (“deserves to be called”) a great writer.

There may be many other pre-requirements in John’s mind beyond having the ability to explore deep subject matter. Just because one pre-requirement is met, does not ensure that the person can be considered a great writer.

(In formal “logic speak” - affirming the necessary condition does not ensure that he sufficient condition will occur)

C is not a position that John is committed to.

(A)”Even if the subject matter in Favilia’s writings is not particularly varied, she should NOT be Excluded from being considered a great writer.”

This is essentially what John’s argument is.

The argument he responds to is saying:

Since F.’s subject matter is not varied enough, then F. can NOT be considered a great writer.

Answer choice (A) is not saying that if the subject matter is varied, then the author MUST be considered a great writer.

Rather, answer (A) says that we should not exclude F. from being considered a great writer (in other words, F. is ELIGIBLE to be considered a great writer) even though the subject matter might not be varied enough.

This is essentially the position that John takes when he argues against the original author.

A is the correct answer.

Mapping the logic out definitely helps, but it is also helpful to sometimes step back and just think about each person’s position.

Another good thing to look out for: the modifier words used.

Saying that someone is “not excluded” from A ———> is not exactly the same claim as saying that a person IS part of A.

When you say a someone is “not excluded”, you are not giving your position on whether the person definitely is “included.”

I hope that didn’t hurt your head as much as it did mine…..

Sometimes the LSAT is just not fun.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [0]
Given Kudos: 359
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
Re: Muriel: I admire Favillas novels, but she does not deserve to be cons [#permalink]
@MartyTargetTestPrep @GMATNinja Why is C incorrect?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Muriel: I admire Favillas novels, but she does not deserve to be cons [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts