Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 11:03 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 11:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: Booth '14 (A)
GPA: 3.9
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Wharton 2012 - Calling all Waitlisters [#permalink]
woggy987 wrote:
the number is up to 269 now... I think they're adding people today. I'm still waiting for approval on my request.

we have a lot to go up
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.72
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
I really don't know how much value the Wharton FB group has in gauging likelihood of admittance from the wait list until at least after the round 2 deposit date. As has been said, one individual has to approve all requests (which likely involves the tedious task of cross-checking a database and actually clicking on approval). The one person tasked with this probably does this periodically when she has spare time and the motivation to do this. In addition, there are likely a significant number of people that don't join at all.

Based on Round 1 FB analysis before the R2 decision date, it appeared that R1 WL admits and R2 admits would spike, which didn't really seem to materialize.

Based on Wharton's historical use of the wait list, I think the best we can hope for is 25-50 spots to open up (similar to Harvard), but in reality the number may be much lower.

The good news is the R3 decision date is relatively soon, just over 5 weeks away. We also benefit from the fact that Wharton's R3 deadline was before many R2 decision dates. R3 GC application submissions were only a handful. The bad news is that at least looking at last year, there was very little R3 movement.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I just received an email from the wait list managers. It looks like the school is making a commitment to be more open about the process and will be sending updates the third Friday of every month and will release further admits/dings/or continued WL decisions before or on May 8.

In light of this, it appears that there will be an update of some type on April 20 and then another updated on May 8. For those wait listed through the summer, updates will take place in May, June, and July as well.

For those WL in round 1, did you receive similar updates or is this something new with Wharton?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yes we did.. looking at last year it seems like there was almost no movement in R3 and summer-waitlist.. hope that's not true this year.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
maximus81 wrote:
woggy987 wrote:
the number is up to 269 now... I think they're adding people today. I'm still waiting for approval on my request.

we have a lot to go up

350 mba and 120 lauder
different people in groups so 470 people is already in, which is a quite huge number now.
compared to 550 at hbs which gets 100 more people.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Consulting2Finance wrote:
I really don't know how much value the Wharton FB group has in gauging likelihood of admittance from the wait list until at least after the round 2 deposit date. As has been said, one individual has to approve all requests (which likely involves the tedious task of cross-checking a database and actually clicking on approval). The one person tasked with this probably does this periodically when she has spare time and the motivation to do this. In addition, there are likely a significant number of people that don't join at all.

Based on Round 1 FB analysis before the R2 decision date, it appeared that R1 WL admits and R2 admits would spike, which didn't really seem to materialize.

Based on Wharton's historical use of the wait list, I think the best we can hope for is 25-50 spots to open up (similar to Harvard), but in reality the number may be much lower.

The good news is the R3 decision date is relatively soon, just over 5 weeks away. We also benefit from the fact that Wharton's R3 deadline was before many R2 decision dates. R3 GC application submissions were only a handful. The bad news is that at least looking at last year, there was very little R3 movement.

when is the deposit deadline again?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
maximus81 wrote:
maximus81 wrote:
woggy987 wrote:

we have a lot to go up

350 mba and 120 lauder
different people in groups so 470 people is already in, which is a quite huge number now.
compared to 550 at hbs which gets 100 more people.

I think what we can hope for is a similar success rate as shown by HBS (i.e. 25 to 50 people, maybe slightly more). The good news is of the 550 people in the HBS group historical yield would result in 500 acceptances while applying historical yield to the Wharton group would produce 330 acceptances. That being said, however, the yield of people in the Facebook group likely is higher than overall historical rates (particularly for Wharton), as has been discussed at length. We also have account for people not on Facebook or not wanting to disclose information, which likely is significant (maybe another 25% or so).

It would be nuts to say there is no hope. It would also be nuts to say the majority of us get in. Chances are easily over 500, and perhaps easily over 600 people have accepted their offers.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
With all the caveats on how difficult it is to project yield based on facebook group numbers, the Wharton group is up to 436, with an additional 131 Lauder members, for a total of 567. For reference, the HBS group, which has about 100 more people in its classes is at 622 members.

Granted, almost everyone in the HBS group is likely to attend whereas the number is probably a bit lower for the Wharton group.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GPA: 3.13
Send PM
Hey everyone - I'm going to be withdrawing from the Wharton waitlist as I got into my top choice school to make room for one of you guys :-D For what it's worth, I had lunch the day after I got my Sloan decision with a fellow Class of 2014 Sloanie and he said that all UPenn grad schools (Medical, Wharton, etc) are notorious for waitlisting a ton of candidates in order to get their yields up. So if you got waitlisted, chances are they like you. Good luck to all!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Does anybody know the deposit deadline for second round admits?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
May 5
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
chocolateyeye wrote:
May 5

May 5 is a Saturday. My admit letter says that the deposit deadline is Thursday May 3. You might want to recheck yours to make sure you're not tracking to the wrong date.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
Send PM
pretty sure it's Thursday, May 3rd
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
Send PM
I am an R2 waitlister. LAst week, I got a promotion and moved from Singapore to Shanghai to hadle a larger profile. With this "dont contact us" policy of Wharton, I am not sure how do I put this information across. Would be grateful if any of you could advise in this regard.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
espee wrote:
I am an R2 waitlister. LAst week, I got a promotion and moved from Singapore to Shanghai to hadle a larger profile. With this "dont contact us" policy of Wharton, I am not sure how do I put this information across. Would be grateful if any of you could advise in this regard.

Hey, you should email them. You should have been instructed on how to do it. Here are the instructions below:

"Should you decide to remove yourself from our waitlist at any point, we ask you to let us know via an email to mba-admiss@wharton.upenn.edu, with the subject header "Waitlist Remove." Again, this is particularly in fairness to other applicants, as it helps us to know we are considering and reviewing only those candidates who are still interested in the program."
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
brill00 wrote:
espee wrote:

Hey, you should email them. You should have been instructed on how to do it. Here are the instructions below:

"Should you decide to remove yourself from our waitlist at any point, we ask you to let us know via an email to mba-admiss@wharton.upenn.edu, with the subject header "Waitlist Remove." Again, this is particularly in fairness to other applicants, as it helps us to know we are considering and reviewing only those candidates who are still interested in the program."

The question was asked how to contact Wharton to let them know about the promotion so it could be considered as part of the his or her application. It was not how to contact them to withdraw the application due to a promotion.

To answer that question, my sense is that Wharton truly doesn't want more information so I'm not sure there's any way to convey this promotion unless you want to roll the dice and openly ignore their instructions not to contact them.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
Send PM
Thank you for your reply. I agree that it is not advisable to openly flout a categorically stated policy. However, apart from communicating the update about the promotion, I wanted to update Wharton with my new contact details in China. As I figured and for the benifit of the forum, would like to mention that it is possible to change the contact details in the application portal at any point of time.

Originally posted by espee on 03 May 2012, 01:48.
Last edited by espee on 03 May 2012, 01:50, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts