Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:26 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GPA: 3.5
WE:General Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.32
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [2]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GPA: 3.5
WE:General Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 81
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.62
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Yale SOM 2012 - Calling All Applicants (Class of 2014) [#permalink]
GoodGuyGreg wrote:
Interesting read from Yale Daily News- talks about alums being unhappy with the move towards a more "traditional business school", Dean Snyder (highest paid Dean at Yale), and some school history.

Good to get a Yale community perspective on the SOM.

https://www.yaledailynews.com/news/2012/ ... -identity/

Great article, and good find! I chuckled a little bit when I realized I was raising my hackles at some of the alumni complaints. Times may have changed, but the school is still so much more holistic than the bulk of other MBA programs. And then I realized I was talking to myself, and I should calm down.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE:General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Submitted my app for round 3 the other day. Now I can finally start crossing fingers. I know R3 is tough, I hope to be tougher...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
OhDenny,

Since you have gone through the process a couple of times--at what point and how did you arrange to get feedback from SOM? I am WL at another school, but if I do not get in I will be reapplying and want to give myself the best chance I can. Appreciate any advice you might have. And appreciate any input from other successful SOM (or other school) reapplicants.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
snipes wrote:
OhDenny,

Since you have gone through the process a couple of times--at what point and how did you arrange to get feedback from SOM? I am WL at another school, but if I do not get in I will be reapplying and want to give myself the best chance I can. Appreciate any advice you might have. And appreciate any input from other successful SOM (or other school) reapplicants.

They should have instructions in your ding e-mail. They told me to wait until July 1st, when all of the decisions would be done, and e-mail the main admissions e-mail address to ask for feedback then. They got back to me within a week with a pretty extensive e-mail. Some of the phrases used within may have been standard phrases that they copied and pasted, but if that was the case, they took a good amount of time tying everything together and making it specific to me. They weren’t really allowed to talk about my essays or recommendations in-depth, but they provided a very good blueprint for reapplying.

I’m actually working on a longer form post on this subject – coming to a blog near you soon. My guess is by the end of the week.

Good luck with your waitlist and/or reapp. I know it’s tough, but – and I know this is the most cliché thing you’ve ever heard – everything happens for a reason. I swear there’s truth to that, cold comfort that it is.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks Denny. Appreciate it and look forward to the blog post. You are right it does mention it in the ding letter I just blacked that out already I suppose haha.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Here's the beginning to my story about being a two-time reapplicant and the psychosis it entailed. I hope it comes in useful for some folks who may have been dinged this year who might be thinking about trying again. Many thanks to TheSenator for letting me guest on his spectacular blog. Parts Two and Three should be posted soon.

https://thesenator2014.wordpress.com/201 ... -part-one/
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: LEAD Program in Business, NSHMBA, NBMBAA
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Concentration: General Management
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
Send PM
OhDenny wrote:
Here's the beginning to my story about being a two-time reapplicant and the psychosis it entailed. I hope it comes in useful for some folks who may have been dinged this year who might be thinking about trying again. Many thanks to TheSenator for letting me guest on his spectacular blog. Parts Two and Three should be posted soon.

https://thesenator2014.wordpress.com/201 ... -part-one/

You WON'T want to miss the next three days from OhDenny--I had the privilege of reading Parts Two & Three (and Part Four) and it's an amazing story of tenacity and perseverance. You all are lucky to have OhDenny as a future classmate.... ENJOY!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Yale '14 (S)
GPA: 3.42
WE:Education (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Woo! I wish I had found this forum a bit sooner. I applied to Yale 3rd round, and it sounds like I have absolutely no shot at it this year, especially given that in years past, it looks as if no one on these forums have ever gotten in during round 3. A bit disappointed now because it's the only b-school I applied to, but seeing the great data and useful conversations you guys bring up is awesome. Keep up the good work!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: LEAD Program in Business, NSHMBA, NBMBAA
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Concentration: General Management
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
Send PM
lazyboyoveredge wrote:
Woo! I wish I had found this forum a bit sooner. I applied to Yale 3rd round, and it sounds like I have absolutely no shot at it this year, especially given that in years past, it looks as if no one on these forums have ever gotten in during round 3. A bit disappointed now because it's the only b-school I applied to, but seeing the great data and useful conversations you guys bring up is awesome. Keep up the good work!

If you don't get in this year, try try again -- a lot of people have success the second time around and it's always nice to get your first app filled out so you understand the process... Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
enjoying the blog posts so far denny. i chuckled reading the "feedback" that you were given esp year 1 vs year 2. congrats again--i look forward to the conclusion.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
snipes wrote:
enjoying the blog posts so far denny. i chuckled reading the "feedback" that you were given esp year 1 vs year 2. congrats again--i look forward to the conclusion.

Thanks for your eyeballs. Writing this was a very therapeutic exercise for me. Plus - it gives me something to do while plagued by Senioritis.
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
lazyboyoveredge wrote:

Well dude, there's always next year! :)
That's why we make mistakes... to learn from them.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
For those who are at SOM for welcome weekend,
Don't forget to ask about the careers stats for the class of 2012 and 2013. Last I heard, about 40% of the class of 2013 does not have an internship yet. Class of 2012 is struggling for jobs. The careers services at SOM needs a lot a improvement and students have raised this issue many times.
Weigh all your options before you make a decision.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Thanks for the information, I have been looking for a business school.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
great finale. hoping i dont have to reapply but if i do i will def be taking those lessons to heart.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Schools: Yale - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
somyale2012 wrote:
Don't forget to ask about the careers stats for the class of 2012 and 2013. Last I heard, about 40% of the class of 2013 does not have an internship yet. Class of 2012 is struggling for jobs. The careers services at SOM needs a lot a improvement and students have raised this issue many times.

Could you elaborate a bit more on improvements you think they should make. Also, in your opinion, do you feel as though the class is struggling across the board, or more so in a certain industry?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
snipes wrote:
great finale. hoping i dont have to reapply but if i do i will def be taking those lessons to heart.

Thanks, Snipes.

msbroker wrote:
somyale2012 wrote:

Could you elaborate a bit more on improvements you think they should make. Also, in your opinion, do you feel as though the class is struggling across the board, or more so in a certain industry?

I'd also love to hear some elaboration. I didn't ask anyone about these statistics this weekend, but I know that social sector jobs and firms don't typically make offers until late April/early May, which may be depressing numbers. Regardless, I'd love to hear more, if only just to ensure the legitimacy of the poster above.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts