Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:36 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

Read the Question in the post below and mark the Correct Answer

2% [1]
21% [9]
11% [5]
64% [27]
0% [0]
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30801 [6]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51452 [7]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
General Discussion
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30801 [3]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3119 [2]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: The renaissance in Britain's car industry has been a beacon [#permalink]
Kudos
My answer is D. If the same workforce is used for the increased output as well, there will not be any new jobs in the market.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
even if manufacturing companies like Jaguar can help increase UK exports, many economists doubt they can be a major source of new jobs over the long term.
'they' refers to 'manufacturing companies'

Since option B focuses only on Jaguar, it is incorrect.

+1 D
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32882 [0]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
egmat wrote:
The renaissance in Britain's car industry has been a beacon of hope in an economy that has been broadly flat for the best part of two years. It can help rebalance the UK economy by increasing our manufacturing output and our exports. It can also create high quality jobs. But we shouldn't be under too many illusions: even if manufacturing companies like Jaguar can help increase UK exports, many economists doubt they can be a major source of new jobs over the long term.

Which of the following best explains the reason for the doubt expressed by the economists?

A. The car industry does not create low-quality jobs.
B. Even though Jaguar’s exports grew more than 20% in the last year, its number of employees grew only by 5%.
C. The car industry is a capital intensive industry and frequently goes through cycles of growth and recession.
D. To succeed in the global manufacturing industry, a company has to be extraordinarily efficient, which means using the same workforce for more production.
E. US car companies are financially well off than their British peers and can cut down their prices to gain market share.

D with fewer words than souvik :)

By the way, great explanation Sir ;) plus one kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Conclusion :- Not many jobs will be created in the long run

Assumption :- some factor that does not hinder the creation of jobs in the short run, but might hamper in the long run

IMO :- D

A. The car industry does not create low-quality jobs - OFS, if it creates high quality jobs then also the no of jobs will increase
B. Even though Jaguar’s exports grew more than 20% in the last year, its number of employees grew only by 5%. - OFS, atleast the employees grew so in the long run as well the new jobs although less in no will be created
C. The car industry is a capital intensive industry and frequently goes through cycles of growth and recession. - OFS
D. To succeed in the global manufacturing industry, a company has to be extraordinarily efficient, which means using the same workforce for more production. - Correct, if same workforce is used, then the company will hire in the short run to create the work force but will use the same work force in the long run and not create new jobs
E. US car companies are financially well off than their British peers and can cut down their prices to gain market share. - OFS, what market share, it can be only related to domestic markets, the UK CM can still export to other countries.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 385 [1]
Given Kudos: 62
GMAT Date: 10-25-2012
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
The renaissance in Britain's car industry has been a beacon of hope in an economy that has been broadly flat for the best part of two years. It can help rebalance the UK economy by increasing our manufacturing output and our exports. It can also create high quality jobs. But we shouldn't be under too many illusions: even if manufacturing companies like Jaguar can help increase UK exports, many economists doubt they can be a major source of new jobs over the long term.

Which of the following best explains the reason for the doubt expressed by the economists?

A. The car industry does not create low-quality jobs. Quality is not the concern but number of new jobs is
B. Even though Jaguar’s exports grew more than 20% in the last year, its number of employees grew only by 5%. 5% increase may be a good number of new jobs
C. The car industry is a capital intensive industry and frequently goes through cycles of growth and recession. does not talks about number of jobs during growth and recession
D. To succeed in the global manufacturing industry, a company has to be extraordinarily efficient, which means using the same workforce for more production. correct - explains that to be efficient, companies need to use same workforce, and thus,no new jobs
E. US car companies are financially well off than their British peers and can cut down their prices to gain market share. irrelevant
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1858 [1]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
Excellent question

i think the answer is D.

Conclusion: Jaguar will help economy without creating any further jobs( No more new jobs reqd) to improve the economy.
They are able to do with the older workforce, the newer workforce even if hired will not make any significant contribution to the economy and hence to the JAguar's production of cars.

B is an excellent trap for those reading fast and guessing blindly :-D
Hope that helps

Consider kudos, If my post helped!!!!!!!!!!!!!
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30801 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi All,

Thanks for posting your solutions along with explanations. The correct choice is D. Detailed solution have also been pasted.

I must complement Souvik, Dinesh and Anshunadir for the comprehensive explanations, not only for the correct choice but also for the incorrect choices. Excellent work :)

Macfauz, Dipzz and Archit - Right on track and your explanations for choosing choice D are precisely right. :)

Thanks,
Chiranjeev
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30801 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
rf3d3r3r wrote:
Here is my reasoning:

Looking for reason why Jaguar would not be a source of jobs in the long term.

A - Does not create doubt for the economists, but quality of jobs is irrelevant
B - Directly relates to sentence about Jaguar increasing exports, but not increasing as many jobs.
C - slightly irrelevant, but not sure. B is a safer choice.
D - Generalizes too much about global industry, requires too many assumptions.
E - Again, brings in too much outside information.

My answer: B.

My logic in this problem was to find an answer that did not require more assumptions than needed. Is this correct?

Hi,

Appreciate the effort you put in.

The reason option B is incorrect is that it only talks about Jaguar and even if we discount this, the option talks about a 5% growth in employment - opposite of the doubt expressed by the economists.

Please refer to the detailed solution posted above.

Chiranjeev
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts