Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 02:53 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 02:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 296 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
vikram4689 wrote:
for this ques:
Describe a difficult professional decision you had to make. What were the consequences, and what, if anything, did you learn? Would you make the same decision again? (300 words maximum)

any suggestions on how you guys responded to this question.

The point is to tell your own personal story. I think it is a pretty straight forward question, just be yourself and do your best!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: Yale '15 (I)
Send PM
Kudos
Chance admits start hearing before the 28th?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
chessmaster1234 wrote:
Chance admits start hearing before the 28th?

Nope, I don't think so. Here's what was included in the email I received last week from the adcom.

"We're writing to remind you that we will release Round 2 admissions decisions on Thursday, March 28. You will hear from us then about your candidacy."
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.11
WE:Engineering (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
tokugawa86 wrote:
vikram4689 wrote:
for this ques:
Describe a difficult professional decision you had to make. What were the consequences, and what, if anything, did you learn? Would you make the same decision again? (300 words maximum)

The point is to tell your own personal story. I think it is a pretty straight forward question, just be yourself and do your best!

I think the last part of this question is a bit of a leading question. It's pretty clear they don't want you to tell a story and end it with 'Looking back, I did everything perfectly'. They're clearly looking for a bit of reflection and humility and growth.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
Send PM
dimmsdale wrote:
tokugawa86 wrote:
vikram4689 wrote:
for this ques:

I think the last part of this question is a bit of a leading question. It's pretty clear they don't want you to tell a story and end it with 'Looking back, I did everything perfectly'. They're clearly looking for a bit of reflection and humility and growth.

I agree with the need for reflection/humility, but I actually think this is possible while saying you would make the exact same choice. I had an example where the outcome was very clearcut (i.e. there was no debating whether it could be viewed as a "right" or "wrong" decision-it was clearly "right" based on the outcome), but I initially did not have enough faith in my initial conviction. Thus, my reflection focused on the need for me to have more confidence and willingness to speak up.

Basically, I think there are multiple ways to approach this question - good luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
lb2015 wrote:
I agree with the need for reflection/humility, but I actually think this is possible while saying you would make the exact same choice. I had an example where the outcome was very clearcut (i.e. there was no debating whether it could be viewed as a "right" or "wrong" decision-it was clearly "right" based on the outcome), but I initially did not have enough faith in my initial conviction. Thus, my reflection focused on the need for me to have more confidence and willingness to speak up.

Basically, I think there are multiple ways to approach this question - good luck!

I'll second this. I talked about a difficult decision I made that I would definitely do again. The key was that I still learned from it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Any recent R2 interview invitations (past 2-3 weeks)?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
Schools: Yale '15 (WL)
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
CTmba2015 wrote:

I am not sure about interview invites, but I did see a few posts earlier that some interviewed on Mar-14.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
CTmba2015 wrote:

Someone said the last interview day is Thursday so if you haven't heard you're likely out of luck.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: Yale '15 (I)
Send PM
Well this is going to be a long 9 days...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
Schools: Yale '15 (WL)
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
aerien wrote:
CTmba2015 wrote:

Someone said the last interview day is Thursday so if you haven't heard you're likely out of luck.

Is it Thursday the 14th or 21st ?
Board of Directors
Send PM
Expert Reply
alphabetagamma wrote:
aerien wrote:
CTmba2015 wrote:

Is it Thursday the 14th or 21st ?

I think someone posted that it was the 21st. I posted my speculation which was the 14th.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Someone said the last interview day is Thursday so if you haven't heard you're likely out of luck.[/quote]
Is it Thursday the 14th or 21st ?[/quote]

I think someone posted that it was the 21st. I posted my speculation which was the 14th.[/quote]

Yeah I couldn't imagine there would be too many more interviews taking place at this point... guess I'm banking on one of the "waitlist with no interview" decisions that apparently exist.
Board of Directors
Send PM
Expert Reply
R1 Admits -- Background Check

Ok, I know, I know -- they tell us to not contact them (the school or the background check company) for info on our status, that we should just wait and more or less, no news is good news.... but I'm bad with the unknown. Reassurance? Commiseration? Anyone? Why can't they just send a quick "Verification Complete" email. It doesn't even have to be a full email, just a simple subject line...I'd be okay with that. *Listens to birds chirping for the next 4 weeks*

*From the admit site:
Application verifications take from 2-6 weeks to complete. Please do not contact Re Vera Services or the Yale School of Management to inquire about the status of your verification. If you do not hear from Re Vera Services or the Yale School of Management within a few weeks of receiving confirmation of payment and release receipt, you can assume your verification is complete.

Also, has anyone filled out the data form yet? I tried to but it kicks me back to the login page. I'm thinking I'll try again this weekend since by that point, hopefully all the bugs will be fixed (unless it's just my browser or something).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
aerien wrote:

Ok, I know, I know -- they tell us to not contact them (the school or the background check company) for info on our status, that we should just wait and more or less, no news is good news.... but I'm bad with the unknown. Reassurance? Commiseration? Anyone? Why can't they just send a quick "Verification Complete" email. It doesn't even have to be a full email, just a simple subject line...I'd be okay with that. *Listens to birds chirping for the next 4 weeks*

*From the admit site:
Application verifications take from 2-6 weeks to complete. Please do not contact Re Vera Services or the Yale School of Management to inquire about the status of your verification. If you do not hear from Re Vera Services or the Yale School of Management within a few weeks of receiving confirmation of payment and release receipt, you can assume your verification is complete.

Also, has anyone filled out the data form yet? I tried to but it kicks me back to the login page. I'm thinking I'll try again this weekend since by that point, hopefully all the bugs will be fixed (unless it's just my browser or something).

I know that Re Vera is already in the midst of doing their checks - one of my recommenders told me she was contacted via email to confirm she actually wrote my rec. I have a hold on my other as I haven't let my current employer know I've decided to leave (potential promo/raise on the horizon). I wouldn't stress it too much, even if there are any issues, Re Vera will contact you to give you a chance to clarify/explain any discrepancies they find. And judging by the fact that they confirmed my rec only via email should show it's not too pervasive a check.

I was able to fill in the data form just fine, though haven't seen anything become of it. Waiting to see when we can create our Yale emails!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
haxx19 wrote:
aerien wrote:

*From the admit site:

I know that Re Vera is already in the midst of doing their checks - one of my recommenders told me she was contacted via email to confirm she actually wrote my rec. I have a hold on my other as I haven't let my current employer know I've decided to leave (potential promo/raise on the horizon). I wouldn't stress it too much, even if there are any issues, Re Vera will contact you to give you a chance to clarify/explain any discrepancies they find. And judging by the fact that they confirmed my rec only via email should show it's not too pervasive a check.

I was able to fill in the data form just fine, though haven't seen anything become of it. Waiting to see when we can create our Yale emails!

I'm in the same boat as you, in that I have not told my current employer that I will be attending business school this fall as I am also up for a promotion in June. Any thoughts on when you'll be giving them the heads up/giving your notice? I've been debating this for a while now because I don't want to burn bridges, but obviously don't want to jeopardize my chances at a promotion if something happens between now and orientation that will prevent me from going to business school. Ahhhh decisions decisions...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Kudos
msss wrote:
haxx19 wrote:
aerien wrote:

*From the admit site:

I'm in the same boat as you, in that I have not told my current employer that I will be attending business school this fall as I am also up for a promotion in June. Any thoughts on when you'll be giving them the heads up/giving your notice? I've been debating this for a while now because I don't want to burn bridges, but obviously don't want to jeopardize my chances at a promotion if something happens between now and orientation that will prevent me from going to business school. Ahhhh decisions decisions...

I suppose the salient part of my case is that the promotion would occur by end of April, which leaves plenty of room to still give advanced notice. I'll probably let my employer know 4-5 weeks before I leave (mid-July) which should be more than adequate yet still allowing me to save some face as I've been the one pushing for the promo - it would a little odd to get promoted just to provide my termination notice the following week.

In these cases, the most important piece is establishing your timeline for when your promotion would officially go through (since this can often take weeks from when you're unofficially notified), when you plan to provide termination notice, and when your actual last day will be. If your promotion occurs more organically than mine, then you could very well just provide your notice shortly afterward. Now it's also worth noting that the background verification companies often have a hard stop as to when they can no longer adhere to current employer holds. In Yale's case, Re Vera's cutoff is 7/1/13, so you'll also want to factor that into your plans if you're pushing the timing to the limit.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  40   41   42   43   44   45   46  ...  65   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts