Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 18:41 It is currently 05 May 2024, 18:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Parallelismx                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2166 [62]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1324 [17]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 255 [5]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1212 [11]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Send PM
Re: The recent surge in the number of airplane flights has clogged the nat [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
The answer tries to answer "how many" rather than "how much" of delays... :)
When you are using 55 percent more delay then it means that if you used to have 100 hours of delay earlier then now you are having 155 hours of delay.
But when you say 55 percent increase in delays as in E, it clearly brings in the quantitative number of flights into picture. This basically means if earlier there were 100 flight delays earlier, now there would be 155 late flights.

HIMALAYA wrote:
saurya_s wrote:
The recent surge in the number of airplane flights has clogged the nation's air-traffic control system, to lead to 55 percent more delays at airports, and prompts fears among some officials that safety is being compromised.
(B) leading to 55 percent more delay at airports and prompting
(E) leading to a 55-percent increase in delays at airports and prompting

What is difference between "55 percent more delay" and "a 55-percent increase in delays"

delays are increased by a given percentage not by more or less. So between B and E, E wins.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Re: The recent surge in the number of airplane flights has clogged the nat [#permalink]
saurya_s wrote:
The recent surge in the number of airplane flights has clogged the nation's air-traffic control system, to lead to 55 percent more delays at airports, and prompts fears among some officials that safety is being compromised.
(A) to lead to 55 percent more delays at airports, and prompts
(C) to lead to a 55 percent increase in delay at airports and prompt
(D) to lead to an increase of 55 percent in delays at airports, and prompted
Plz explain.
What is difference between "55 percent more delays" and "a 55-percent increase in delays"

I have doubt between choice B and E.

Exact doubt : How to understand the real meaning of the sentence when as illustrated in this question both cases ( Increase in delay times and increase in flights getting delayed can both happen.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [8]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Kudos
purnima wrote:
saurya_s wrote:
Plz explain.
What is difference between "55 percent more delays" and "a 55-percent increase in delays"

Exact doubt : How to understand the real meaning of the sentence when as illustrated in this question both cases ( Increase in delay times and increase in flights getting delayed can both happen.

your doubt might have cropped up after u must have read some of the explanations in this thread (which largely are misleading !!)
the fact is that expression "55 percent more delay" is a wrong expression
u always have to use "more" with "than" in a correct construction ---->for this reason u can straight way strike out option B
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30855 [0]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
purnima wrote:
saurya_s wrote:
Plz explain.

Dear Purnima,

I see that your doubt has been addressed. Please do let me know if you need any other clarification on this question. :)

Regards,

Neeti.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 395 [3]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
B changes meaning.
Intention - 55 % more delays i.e. If previously there were 100 delays now it is 155 delays.
B says - previously if the delay was 100 min now it is 155 minutes delay. :D .

So Answer must be E. :) . Hope you understood- Hit GMAT like you mean it. All the best.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42107 [3]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Between B and E, we have one spark. The correct style of using 55 percentage is---a 55-percentage --- We need a dash after 55, and then the following word should be singular. Examples such usage are ---a 12-foot tall building ---, --- a 14-year old boy, --- etc.
Here is an official question also.

Twenty-two feet long and 10 feet in diameter, the AM-1 is one of the many new satellites that is a part of 15 years effort of subjecting the interactions of Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces to detailed scrutiny from space.

(A) satellites that is a part of 15 years effort of subjecting the interactions of Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces

(B) satellites, which is a part of a 15-year effort to subject how Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces interact

(C) satellites, part of 15 years effort of subjecting how Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces are interacting

(D) satellites that are part of an effort for 15 years that has subjected the interactions of Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces

(E) satellites that are part of a 15-year effort to subject the interactions of Earth's atmosphere, ocean, and land surfaces

OA: E.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Schools: IIMA WBS '22
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
GMATNinja

Can you please tell us as to why B is wrong. I want to know whether more can be used with percentages?

Please share your two cents.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63782 [1]
Given Kudos: 1775
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
KaranB1 wrote:
GMATNinja

Can you please tell us as to why B is wrong. I want to know whether more can be used with percentages?

In general, there is nothing wrong with using "more" with percentages. For example:

"Bill Gates has 50 percent more money than you do." (Approximately.)

The issue with (B), as explained in this post, is that we need "delays", not "delay".

I hope that answers your question!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
KaranB1 wrote:
GMATNinja

In general, there is nothing wrong with using "more" with percentages. For example:

The issue with (B), as explained in this post, is that we need "delays", not "delay".

GMATNinja

"More" should be followed by "Than".
Can I use this reason to eliminate B?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63782 [2]
Given Kudos: 1775
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Teitsuya wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
KaranB1 wrote:
GMATNinja

GMATNinja

"More" should be followed by "Than".
Can I use this reason to eliminate B?

While it's true that the GMAT will almost always follow "more" with "than," it's not a rule. For instance, you could write, "Tim made a resolution to eat more mochi in 2021," and that's not an error. (Eating more mochi is definitely not an error... :-P )

A bigger problem with (B), as others have noted, is that the phrase, "55 percent more delay" is unclear. What does "more delay" mean, exactly? That, on average, people are waiting 55% longer than they had been? That the number of delayed flights is 55 percent greater than it had been?

Contrast this with (E) in which the phrase "55 percent increase in delays" makes it crystal clear that the number of delayed flights has gone up by 55%.

Because (E) is clearer and more logical than (B), it's better.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 304
GMAT 1: 730 Q43 V42
Send PM
egmat wrote:
purnima wrote:
saurya_s wrote:
Plz explain.

Dear Purnima,

I see that your doubt has been addressed. Please do let me know if you need any other clarification on this question. :)

Regards,

Neeti.

egmat

Can you comment on the usage of leading vs to lead?

Posted from my mobile device
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7782 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
Andrewcoleman
"Leading" and "to lead" have very different meanings. "Leading" shows a result of the action. (This is very common for "comma + -ing modifiers.) So the surge clogged the system, and this has led to delays.

"To lead" implies intent. Someone did this to achieve this particular result. That wouldn't make sense here, since there's no one planning anything here. The surge cannot have had the intent to cause delays when it clogged the system, since the surge isn't a thinking entity.

In general, we can say that "do X to Y" means that we do X with the goal of achieving Y. The "comma + -ing" modifier, on the other hand, has several uses, but one is to show the result of an action.

Here's a related case to add some clarity:

I reported my manager's misbehavior, earning a promotion when he was fired. (I reported the behavior. We don't know why I reported it, but when I did, the result was that I got a promotion.)

I I reported my manager's misbehavior to earn a promotion. (I reported the behavior with the goal of earning a promotion. We don't know whether I achieved my goal.)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V29
GPA: 3
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM

(A) to lead to 55 percent more delays at airports, and prompts - "to lead" and "prompts" are not parllel to each other

(B) leading to 55 percent more delay at airports and prompting - "55 percent more delay" delay must be in plural

(C) to lead to a 55 percent increase in delay at airports and prompt - "to lead" and "prompt" are not parllel to each other

(D) to lead to an increase of 55 percent in delays at airports, and prompted - "to lead" and "promptred" are not parllel to each other

(E) leading to a 55 percent increase in delays at airports and prompting - Correct, leading || promting, a 55 percent increase in delays - plural
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
aditya8062 wrote:
purnima wrote:
saurya_s wrote:
Plz explain.

your doubt might have cropped up after u must have read some of the explanations in this thread (which largely are misleading !!)
the fact is that expression "55 percent more delay" is a wrong expression
u always have to use "more" with "than" in a correct construction ---->for this reason u can straight way strike out option B

Thank you so much for clearing this up. My doubt also came up because of the explanations on this thread!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 199 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Send PM
The recent surge in the number of airplane flights has clogged the nat [#permalink]

We need a verb-ing modifier to modify the phrase "The recent surge in the number of airplane flights has clogged the nation's air-traffic control system". Hence options A, C, D are eliminated.
b/w B & E, E gives a better quantitative picture by illustrating "increase in delays", and not "delays"
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts