Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 00:05 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 00:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: IMD '16 (S)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Healthcare
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Harvard Club Lecturer
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [1]
City: Los Angeles
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 1998
Send PM
Re: MIT Sloan Fellows 2016 [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
lm11 wrote:
Hi
Anyone applying to the MIT sloan Fellows program in 2015.
If so what is your perspective/Analysis on the third essay requested.

Tell us about a personal or professional decision in which you took a minority perspective in a group and what did you learn about yourself from this experience. (500 words or less, limited to one page)

This question is a classic behavioral question, though it is not one we see often in MBA applications. And I think the reason for that is not everyone has encountered this type of situation, though the longer you have worked, the more likely it will be that you have such an experience. This should be from work or an extracurricular type experience that is managerial in nature. They want to know when you stood alone, took an unpopular view, went against the consensus at your organization. The answer can follow a classic 3 act structure of what was the problematic background, what did you (the protagonist) do, and what were the results. Then you can reflect on what you learned in hindsight.

As in all of these behavioral questions, choose a story with compelling stakes. Deciding to postpone a food drive will never rise to the level of importance worthy of a question like this. Explain what was at stake, and what the implications were for this decision. Let the reader know this issue mattered, and explain why. Then explain why you took your position and what you did to persuade others or socialize your view. Of course, the reader will be dying to know what actually happened and what were the results. Though most of you will likely choose a scenario where your view was ultimately vindicated, the brave may choose a situation where they were mistaken or partially mistaken, and learned from others. It's OK to show vulnerability in an MBA application. Most people try to sound perfect and omnipotent and adcoms get tired of that.

Good luck!

Alex
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
I am one of the prospective candidates for MIT Sloan Fellows 2016. Just wanted to connect to other people applying for 2015 intake.

Does anyone have idea about the total applications and selection rate.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Did you finally apply?

lm11 wrote:
Hi
Anyone applying to the MIT sloan Fellows program in 2015.
If so what is your perspective/Analysis on the third essay requested.

Tell us about a personal or professional decision in which you took a minority perspective in a group and what did you learn about yourself from this experience. (500 words or less, limited to one page)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
It's great to connect with those applying to the MIT SF program. I finished my application by the 1st round deadline. I live in the US so I am not expecting an interview just yet since they will do international students first. In my visit last month however, I asked what would happen if someone gets an acceptance to another program (i.e. Stanford MSx) early, she said that they could speed up the application/interview process. Just FYI

These are great programs and cannot go wrong with either one.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks brace man
Any idea as to how competitive these programs are? What do u think is the selection percentage normally? How much important is GMAT score although they gave me waiver due to my previous degree.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Raja1972,

The stats for applicants vs. admits seem very hard to find. This is such a different type of applicant pool that it appears to be quite self selecting. From everything that I have researched, I would say that the fit of the program to the applicant is the most important criterion. As I met with both Stanford and MIT admissions people, they both stressed the point that the GMAT is looked at quite differently than with regular MBA programs. They use it as a "threshold" rather than a comparative measure. They just want to know if you are able to handle the academic rigor of the program. Even an "A" on a calculus class can waive the GMAT requirement. Having said that, I am sure it doesn't hurt to do well on the test. Have you applied to any of the other Sloan Fellows programs? What's your background?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks Braceman,

I also had the feeling after interacting with the admission team that they take a lot of pain in selecting right kind of people who could add value to the experience of cohort.

I had been thinking about applying for quite some years and finally this year I decided not to delay it further. I have applied to MIT Sloan Fellows program recently and hoping to get interview call.

I have more than 20 years of experience in diverse industries and different job functions. Having done MBA earlier, I have spent large part of my career travelling and managing operations in emerging markets taking care of established brands as well as start ups. Currently I am working on my own business plan and have started an investment advisory and joining MIT is a step towards making this venture leapfrog to next level.

Braceman wrote:
Raja1972,

The stats for applicants vs. admits seem very hard to find. This is such a different type of applicant pool that it appears to be quite self selecting. From everything that I have researched, I would say that the fit of the program to the applicant is the most important criterion. As I met with both Stanford and MIT admissions people, they both stressed the point that the GMAT is looked at quite differently than with regular MBA programs. They use it as a "threshold" rather than a comparative measure. They just want to know if you are able to handle the academic rigor of the program. Even an "A" on a calculus class can waive the GMAT requirement. Having said that, I am sure it doesn't hurt to do well on the test. Have you applied to any of the other Sloan Fellows programs? What's your background?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
raja1972

Yes i did Apply, Round 1
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Any ideas when the interview invites should be rolling out.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Braceman wrote:
It's great to connect with those applying to the MIT SF program. I finished my application by the 1st round deadline. I live in the US so I am not expecting an interview just yet since they will do international students first. In my visit last month however, I asked what would happen if someone gets an acceptance to another program (i.e. Stanford MSx) early, she said that they could speed up the application/interview process. Just FYI

These are great programs and cannot go wrong with either one.

Did you also Apply to Stanford, if so did you receive an interview decision.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Official email indicates Jan for rolling out interview invite but I think some of them are sent mid of Dec also.

lm11 wrote:
Any ideas when the interview invites should be rolling out.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Received interview invite yesterday, so it appears that they have started already. I was surprised by how early it was. I am very impressed by this program and how they run it. Had a great visit with them last month in Boston. The interview will be next week via Skype.

Originally posted by Braceman on 06 Dec 2014, 19:19.
Last edited by Braceman on 06 Dec 2014, 19:38, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
lm11 wrote:

Yes I did, I interviewed with them two days ago via Skype and it was very professional. I was also very impressed by Stanford - The Stanford decision will be made by December 19, although I think it may come earlier than that.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
That's good. All the very best for your interview. Please do provide a debrief once you have interviewed.

In the meantime it will be helpful to know your background and experience.
Braceman wrote:
Received interview invite yesterday, so it appears that they have started already. I was surprised by how early it was. I am very impressed by this program and how they run it. Had a great visit with them last month in Boston. The interview will be next week via Skype.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
raja1972 wrote:
That's good. All the very best for your interview. Please do provide a debrief once you have interviewed.

Thank you. My background and experience is quite different than most that apply to this program. I am a native of Chile and live in the US. I am an orthodontist who enjoys business very much. I have been in private practice for 16 years and have been blessed with great success. In addition, I have been consulting orthodontists for the last 10 years in the US. I plan to start a consulting firm to help improve business practices with orthodontists in the US and South America.

Just sold my practice, took the GMAT and I am applying to Stanford MSx and MIT SF, the only programs that make sense for someone in my situation. I looked into LBS as well, but I did not like the fact that their academic year starts in January. That messes up with my children's school schedule here in the US.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Braceman wrote:
lm11 wrote:

Yes I did, I interviewed with them two days ago via Skype and it was very professional. I was also very impressed by Stanford - The Stanford decision will be made by December 19, although I think it may come earlier than that.

Congrats!!! on the interview.
Do you know if there are others who received any invites from MIT.

Also do let us know your experience once done..
All the Best!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
That's great profile Braceman.

Not many people have the courage to move from practice to class room again more so from your field of practice.

Lets keep in touch.

Braceman wrote:
raja1972 wrote:

Thank you. My background and experience is quite different than most that apply to this program. I am a native of Chile and live in the US. I am an orthodontist who enjoys business very much. I have been in private practice for 16 years and have been blessed with great success. In addition, I have been consulting orthodontists for the last 10 years in the US. I plan to start a consulting firm to help improve business practices with orthodontists in the US and South America.

Just sold my practice, took the GMAT and I am applying to Stanford MSx and MIT SF, the only programs that make sense for someone in my situation. I looked into LBS as well, but I did not like the fact that their academic year starts in January. That messes up with my children's school schedule here in the US.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts