Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 16:21 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 16:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Re: NYU Langone Fall 2008 [#permalink]
First, let me say I'm sorry to those that received unwanted information over the past two days. For those of you who are truly determined to get in, do not let this setback keep you down. With enough will and resolve, you WILL get in. Keep the faith.

Quote:
Does anybody know anything supports or refutes this idea?

I support this idea. Although we think of AdCom as this abstract group, remember that they are just people. Imagine reading 1000 applications, which they do. In case that doesn't make an impression, that's 1000 1000 word applications. Assuming zero people wrote essay four, that's 1,000,000 words for Fall 2008 alone. You could say wow and leave it at that but let's think harder about this. What kind of people would sign up for an admissions committee? Why would you do this? It's not like this is one of the higher paying jobs in the world. That said, I think these are not only caring people but people who care very much about the NYU MBA program. Many are probably NYU MBA graduates who are looking to protect the integrity of the degree they hold and ensure the most positive environment for the incoming students. So when they read this stuff, certain people stand out in their minds. Even though you are technically just an application to them, they know you are a person with dreams too. I think the WL'ers are people who some of AdCom loved and left an impression on and some others on AdCom didn't get that same impression. This left you on the fence and hence the WL. When the admissions committee takes their second look, they remember your application and it becomes a debate over which people they can ALL agree are the best fits for NYU. If you hit the WL, someone at AdCom really liked you but it just wasn't unanimous. So yes, you are tiered in their minds because the people who have to argue for you in those meetings will only argue the hardest for their favorites.

Don't forget, when you complete the Stern MBA, you will be eligible to be on AdCom. Would you remember the people you liked best? Would you argue for those people the most? I know I would. Therefore, people are tiered, like it or not. It's human nature.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Actually I think much simplier. The best way for them is to score each applicant. The applicant gets high score will be accepted or low score will be declined immediately. Therefore, some gets middle scores will be placed on WL.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
 Q49  V39
Send PM
bozo190101 wrote:
Got rejected!!

Do any of your emails provide what areas should be strengthened...mine has several listed. Is that like a standard letter or just all areas that they mention???

Hey bozo, this is my rejection letter, which, IMO, is a standard letter.

Dear ,

The Admissions Committee has carefully reviewed your application and all supporting credentials and we are unable to offer you admission to NYU Stern. Your application was reviewed and considered for all Langone Program offerings.

While the Committee recognizes the high aspirations and unique qualities of all of our applicants, we are in the difficult position of being able to offer admission to only a limited number of individuals who apply to our program. Our decisions are based on a holistic process in which we evaluate academic potential, professional experience, career history and goals, and personal characteristics.

We appreciate your interest in the NYU Stern School of Business and regret that we are unable to offer you a place in the incoming Langone class. You have our best wishes for your future success.

Sincerely,

NYU Stern MBA Admissions
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I haven't heard from Kroll yet. Anybody in the same boat? I sent the released on July 7th. I know they have contacted my office, so I am not sure what is holding them up. And if something is wrong, why dont they tell me? This is extremely frustrating.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
langonefall2008 wrote:
I haven't heard from Kroll yet. Anybody in the same boat? I sent the released on July 7th. I know they have contacted my office, so I am not sure what is holding them up. And if something is wrong, why dont they tell me? This is extremely frustrating.

I haven't heard from them either. They wrote to me last week, asking for a document. Looks like they are still working on the b/g checks for some of us.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
For those of you who have been admitted, there are two new notes on the New Student Tour. FYI, it now says:

NOTE: If you have not received your Student Health History form via mail, please contact NYU Health Services directly.

*Students admitted after August 11th should complete their Registration, Bursar, Photo, and Directory Authorization requirements no later than one week from the date of the Admissions letter.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Has anyone picked up his/her NYU ID card yet???
Manager
Manager
Send PM
any Waitlister here?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Goenkar wrote:
Has anyone picked up his/her NYU ID card yet???

I picked mine up a week ago...only took about 15 minutes. One tip when you go: don't go straight to the back (where they're taking photos) and get in line. You have to fill out a form prior to getting in line for your photo (in a room to your left, before the photo line). There's nothing indicating this and many people ended up waiting in the photo line twice because of it.

My post will make sense when you go there. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Anyone in the yellow core group?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Anybody can help post DB?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q49  V41
Send PM
It's been sitting on 436 for a few days now but someone actually got in today.

DB Count = 437
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
CFACharterholder22 wrote:
It's been sitting on 436 for a few days now but someone actually got in today.

DB Count = 437

Haha, that would be me then :P I got my acceptance email at 4:09PM on Thu. I retook my GMAT the Thursday before, can't believe they actually waited that long for my scores! Hope to see many of you in a few weeks! Here's my profile

Race: Asian
GMAT: 650 (1st time) 660 (2nd time) 700 (3rd time)
GPA: 2.9 from an Ivy undergrad
Experience: 7 years in a top investment bank doing IT, currently managing an IT team
Decent extracurricular with some community service

Now about this Kroll thing I hear so much about...

Originally posted by reversemix on 22 Aug 2008, 12:34.
Last edited by reversemix on 23 Aug 2008, 11:05, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
This just goes to show, retake your GMAT if you are waitlisted and think you can score even 10 points higher. I also kept sending them updates every week, from new recommendations to telling them that I ran a 1/2 marathon. I think NYU is one of those "Show Me You Love Me" schools ( if you've ever read 9 Mistakes You Don't Want To Make On An MBA Waitlist ) so they want to hear how you've been improving your competiviteness while being on the waitlist.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Congrats reversemix. Which program did you get admitted to? Also when did you get waitlisted?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
In NYU Langone application, for providing Employment History, where should one put the promotions?

The table has only, Employer Name, Position/Title, Dates of Employment, Starting salary/Ending Salary/Bonus, Reason for leaving.

If i held three positions in the same company with 2 promotions, should i list that as one entry or 3 entries? If one entry where should we put the promotions?

thanks
sv6
Intern
Intern
Send PM
SV6 wrote:
In NYU Langone application, for providing Employment History, where should one put the promotions?

The table has only, Employer Name, Position/Title, Dates of Employment, Starting salary/Ending Salary/Bonus, Reason for leaving.

If i held three positions in the same company with 2 promotions, should i list that as one entry or 3 entries? If one entry where should we put the promotions?

thanks
sv6

I handled that using the "Reason for Leaving" column. I put "N/A (Promotion)" for each of them.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60