Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 02:18 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 02:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Stanford, Wharton, Booth, Kellogg
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q49  V36
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, GM, Energy, Technology
Send PM
Re: Admitted to Chicago Booth Class of 2011 Thread [#permalink]
It's been quiet on this thread, so I thought I would revive it by asking, "Admit weekend report, anyone?" Heh.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Here's an update, xenok. I haven't posted in a while but I just paid my deposit and faxed in my paperwork; I'm Booth bound! 8-)

Can't wait till September!

I'm also looking for some Admit Weekend II reports since I wasn't able to attend.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [5]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Ibanking
Send PM
Kudos
Admit recap:

Thursday night I met up with Kwam and his Brazilian gang for a few at Fado. My wife and I had a blast and Kwam was very helpful. I decided to pass on TNDC because I wanted to be coherent the next day.

Friday morning: Friday was sunny and warm....I could see the beach filling up with people early in the morning as I drove down Lakeshore. The day started with a speech from the co-chairs of the weekend, Rose, and Dean Snyder. Rose highlighted the diversity of the class by asking people to stand when she made a comment that was relevant to them (e.g. stand if you're from the Midwest, stand if you speak more than three languages, etc.). The most attention went to the individual that flew in from Shanghai. I spoke with the guy from Shanghai later in the weekend and he isn't even sure if he is going to come to Booth--he's running his own company and it sounds like he'd have to shut it down to attend....the weekend was probably much more important to him than it was to those, like me, that have already made up their minds.

The only part of the weekend that seemed really slow was when Dean Snyder interviewed (unscripted) two members of the faculty. It was hard to hear and not too interesting. IMO, the faculty at Booth speaks for itself. The two professors that were interviewed were great but the Q&A setup wasn't very captivating.

LEAD: After the intro speeches we broke into our cohorts and did the LEAD activity (see prior write ups as the activity was the same).

Career panel lunches: The career lunches were a great way to learn what internships and jobs current students are landing and how they developed their skills at Booth. We also heard from the Director of career services and she was very impressive. I sat in on the IM lunch and the IB lunch. There were four current students at each one and I'd have to say that their career searches have led them to some great places. The common theme was that internships and jobs are available but you have to work harder to get them and career switchers have to work a little harder.

I didn't participate in the Booth campus tour or the trivia because I sat in on some of the partner information sessions instead.

Campus: I did a separate campus tour and, most importantly, I toured the gym. The Ratner center was really nice and it was definitely large enough to accommodate the entire campus. The walk from Booth to Ratner is about 10 minutes (could be tough during the winter but it's doable). I'm not sure if anyone has heard about the library being built on UofC campus but the renderings look amazing. Our guide told us that the technology is insane. Allegedly, you type in the book you're looking for and a robotic arm gets it from the basement for you.

Random walks: The random walk overviews were great. I'm doing a couples trip so I only had to choose between three but they're making everyone else list their top six choices. I really wonder how many people are going to get their top two pics. I don't even know if there was enough time to learn about six trips.

LPF: LPF was great and I really wish I had more time to spend there. If admit weekend LPF is any indication of what it's like all year, I'm excited. All the clubs had tables set up so it was fun to walk around to see what was really out there...while drinking, of course.

Friday night: Friday night was the best night. We started with cohort dinners at different restaurants throughout the city then we all converged at Joe's bar. The "Booth" group was out on the patio. $6 pitchers so everyone was filling up your cup as you walked by. The NBA game was projected onto the brick wall of the building next door--watching the game on a 250 inch projection was pretty cool. I guess there was some MMA fighting going on in a ring inside the bar but I missed it. Once the MMA ring was broken down (about 1:00am) they closed down the patio and "Booth" took over the indoor bar and dance floor. I don't remember much after that.

Saturday: The morning started with breakfast at 8:30. It was a hearty buffet so we could all sober up a little.

Financial aid: If the breakfast didn't sober you up, the financial aid discussion definitely did. For those in the dark: the full amount right now is $78k per year. Take that for two years and your 10-year payback schedule will equate to about $1850/month. Perspective: the mortgage on a $500,000 home (20% down, 5%) is around $2150. The director of financial aid was great. She's a no BS kinda lady and she's been doing it for around 35 years.

Quote of the trip: "if you live like a CEO when you're a student, you'll live like a student when you're a CEO."

Resource fair: The fair was pretty useful because I learned a lot about the various neighborhoods that Booth students live in. The actual resource fair breakouts were okay but I didn’t learn too much. If you had a specific question about the curriculum or career services, it was beneficial but I didn’t really have any questions.

Chicago style lunch: The Chicago dogs and Italian beef sandwiches were great. We broke out with a couple other cohorts and ate our lunch in a classroom. While we ate, we asked two current students anything that was on our mind. I don’t want to get personal but there was a guy in the back row (the only guy in the back row) that asked “what is the least amount of work I can do without failing?” in about 5 different ways. It honestly became comical.

After lunch I skipped the “explore Chicago” tours so I could catch up on some sleep.

Cocktail party: The Class of 2011 Celebration was well planned out and it was a great capstone to a great weekend. Rose gave the best advice during her speech—“drink your beverage of choice, then a water, then your beverage of choice, then a water; you’ll thank me in the morning.”

We all went to Max’s bar after the celebration. It seemed like a fun place but it was way too packed. Joe’s was much better because we all had room to move around and socialize.

Lincoln Park tour: I did a neighborhood tour of Lincoln Park on Sunday and the host was great. Lincoln Park is very exciting and the rent is quite reasonable. I’ve got a lot of information on Wicker Park, Bucktown, Lincoln Park, etc so PM if you would like me to send it to you.

Most importantly: I met some great people this weekend. Everyone was so impressive and inviting. I look forward to meeting everyone this fall.

Originally posted by pguard on 30 Apr 2009, 22:32.
Last edited by pguard on 07 May 2009, 08:16, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks for the recap, especially the very sobering numbers regarding financial aid. I just wish they release final numbers soon (regardless of how painful they are), so I can begin my visa process.

Wish I could have gone, but looking forward to meeting everyone in Aug/Sept.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Here is the first video posted of our LABG conference:

The Chicago School of Though in Chile:

More in the following weeks.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Contrary to the popular 1/3 hyde park, 1/3 downtown, 1/3 north of downtown spiel that we've all heard, it turns out that less than 1/4 of Boothies live in Hyde Park. It's the only area I didn't even consider living in.

Here's the official word:

Chicago BoothTop 5
The Top 5 Neighborhoods in which Chicago Booth Students Live
The following percentages are based on current address data from the classes of 2009 and 2010.

1. Downtown ~ 33%.
Downtown Chicago is my favorite area in the city because you've got everything right there- restaurants, shopping, museums, famous landmarks, etc. ~ Pammy Baskies, 2010

2. Hyde Park ~ 23%
Hyde Park is my favorite neighborhood because it is close enough to the city to be convenient yet far enough away to be quiet. ~ Adam Larson, 2010

3. Gold Coast/River North/Streeterville ~ 13%
I like the continuous activity in the Gold Coast ~ David Ibanez, 2009

4. Lincoln Park ~ 10%
I like living in Lincoln Park because of the amazing selection of bars and restaurantes. ~ Mike Perrone, 2010

5. South Loop ~ 9%
It's a central, or 'compromise' location between Hyde Park, Downtown and the Northside areas. It has easy access to public transportation-on both El and Metra lines. Driving is even better, as it's against the flow of traffic both commutes." ~ Ade Ifelayo, 2008

The rest: Lakeview ~ 6%; Bucktown/Wicker Park ~ 3%; West Loop ~ 1%; Other Areas ~ 2%
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Out of curiosity, has anyone heard the final decisions on fellowships? Have they all been awarded already?

(regardless of fellowship decision, I'm going to Kellogg but I'm still curious)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
When does everyone plan to make the move to Chicago?
Perhaps we should starting tossing around some ideas for a GC meet-up before Random Walk/start of school?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10036 [0]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
xenok wrote:
When does everyone plan to make the move to Chicago?
Perhaps we should starting tossing around some ideas for a GC meet-up before Random Walk/start of school?

Great idea! August, 15
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I will arrive in Chicago between Aug 18 (most likely) and Aug 20.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
 Q49  V36
Send PM
This is really funny and witty. It gets better from the second song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOL9ZN-v ... re=related
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Have to give them some props for the Wu Tang Financial reference.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
I hope you can forgive a waitlister for intruding on your thread, but I have a quick question.

Rose mentioned in the latest waitlist letter that "a second deposit is required" on June 1. Is there someone out there willing to verify and elaborate on what she's referring to? (ie how much and is this for everyone or just R3's?)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Aegis,

R1 and R2 admits paid a $1000 deposit by 3/13 and 5/1 respectively. They are required to pay another $1000 deposit by 6/5 (not 6/1).

R3 admits pay $1000 by 5/27 and another $1000 by 7/1.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Financial aid website is now up (requires login):

https://financialaid.chicagobooth.edu/fulltime/admit.aspx

New cost of attendance figures are up as well ($81k!!!):

https://www.chicagobooth.edu/fulltime/admissions/costs.aspx
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Those of you not going on a RW... should we plan a gmatclub get together for late August?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25