Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 17:08 It is currently 07 May 2024, 17:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2013
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Carnegie Mellon Tepper School of Business
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Calling All Wharton 2011 Business School Waitlisters [#permalink]
As if they read our minds....Got these instructions-a second time..
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear ZZZ

As a waitlist candidate, you may have questions about the admissions process going forward. Below is some information about waitlist procedures that will be helpful to you:

We will be reviewing your application periodically and will contact you no later than 12 May, 2011 with an update as to your status unless you request your application be withdrawn. If you would like to withdraw, please e-mail mba.admissions@wharton.upenn.edu, using the subject header: "Waitlist Remove."

In the spirit of fairness and equity, we will not accept additional materials for inclusion in your application. In this same spirit, we do not offer another interview.

There is no point person in the office for the waitlist. All waitlist decisions are handled by the Admissions Committee.

Feedback to candidates is not offered to candidates while they are on the waitlist.

There is no rank order to the waitlist.

The chances of being admitted off the waitlist are hard to predict since much depends on the strength of the pool in subsequent rounds. Historically, the admit rate has varied from year to year and has very little correlation with the number of candidates placed on the waitlist.
Thank you in advance for honoring these guidelines. We sincerely appreciate your interest in the Wharton School.

Sincerely,

Wharton MBA Admissions Office
The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Did everyone's say e-mail say periodically? Or just the R1 re-waitlisters?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
PEanalyst, I know you will love this:

https://engage.wharton.upenn.edu/MBA/for ... .aspx#8052
Current Student
Send PM
PEanalyst wrote:
Did everyone's say e-mail say periodically? Or just the R1 re-waitlisters?

Sorry to debunk your theory, but my email also says "periodically". I'm a R2 waitlister.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Send PM
I am a R2 wl candidate and in my letter it says "periodically" as well. But i think it does not mean anything, cause in my opinion we'll all get the decision on the same day, may 12th with R3 applicants. Our chances also are dependent on how many R3 candidates Wharton is gonna accept. Usually they dont accept anyone or just a few people. in that case wl candidates have pretty good chances, otherwise, being honest, our chances are really miserable!!!

I've talked to few Wharton alumni and some of them said " Dont do anything, dont try to contact to admissions under any circumstances, unless you just want to withdraw your application", while others said: "You have to be really careful with sending any additional documents. If you want to send your new GMAT score or some new essay, thats not gonna help, only hurt, but if you can find someone very influential to the school, that might help, however, even with some connections, you have to be sure that this person's call/letter will help, otherwise you are gonna get dinged right away"

So, from my understanding, its better to do nothing.
Current Student
Send PM
AKK47 wrote:
So, from my understanding, its better to do nothing.

That actually comes as kind of a relief. No need to stress about whether to re-take the GMAT, no pressure to befriend an influential alum to call adcom on your behalf, no need to rack your brain to think of ways to spin otherwise ordinary work experiences into tales of leadership and responsibility, etc.

I just hope that they actually mean it when they say that they won't review additional materials. I'd hate to move to the bottom of the stack just because I followed the rules...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
All we can do is hope that a good number of people who got in to Wharton will also get in to HBS and/or Stanford tomorrow.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:USC Marshall School of Business
GPA: 2.9
WE 1: Software Consulting
WE 2: Government / Healthcare
Send PM
Kudos
Or the economy recovers to the point the don't want to go to bschool...
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Send PM
a wrote:
AdCom wrote:

In the spirit of fairness and equity, we will not accept additional materials for inclusion in your application.

zorro wrote:
mba1000 wrote:
Zorro / Kumavi Congrats!
Did you guys do anything since the waitlist decisions (follow-up letters, extra letters of support?). And congrats again!

Yes, I got two additional letters/phone calls of support from (somewhat distant) contacts who were connected to the school. They mentioned that Wharton was my first choice, which may have been particularly relevant because I have a strong family connection to another top school.

is this fair and equity?

Many of us respected the instructions and didn't send anything during months of waitlist. Now I feel stupid for not having done anything and for having been fair and equity.

well, its still risky to ask someone for help, i wont do that. i'd rather do nothing and then get dinged than get dinged because of sending some "additional" materials, at least i would know that i am just not good enough yet to become a part of Wharton community, not because i screwed up my application by asking someone for help.
Current Student
Send PM
s wrote:
AdCom wrote:

In the spirit of fairness and equity, we will not accept additional materials for inclusion in your application.

zorro wrote:
mba1000 wrote:
Zorro / Kumavi Congrats!
Did you guys do anything since the waitlist decisions (follow-up letters, extra letters of support?). And congrats again!

Yes, I got two additional letters/phone calls of support from (somewhat distant) contacts who were connected to the school. They mentioned that Wharton was my first choice, which may have been particularly relevant because I have a strong family connection to another top school.

is this fair and equity?

Many of us respected the instructions and didn't send anything during months of waitlist. Now I feel stupid for not having done anything and for having been fair and equity.

Don't jump to conclusion. That is person's perception. For all we know, those letters may have done diddly squat and the person got off because it was their time

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: Tepper (R2) , Johnson (R2) , Ross (R2) , Wharton (R2) , Kellogg (R2)
Send PM
R2 waitlister here...and definitely like the energy on the W WL!
Regarding updates, I won't send anything...they specifically asked for that...and I play by the rules (mostly ;) )...

On the other hand, if you happen to know a John/Jane Doe - Master of the Universe type figure, I'd say send that letter in...especially if you have another admit. The WL chances are pretty slim anyways, so there's much to gain and not as much to lose by sending a strong letter.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:USC Marshall School of Business
GPA: 2.9
WE 1: Software Consulting
WE 2: Government / Healthcare
Send PM
An insight I gained when I was speaking to a Stanford GSB alum (I think it's related)... but the gist of it is that a lot of the times this comes down to a crapshoot. You may have a near perfect GMAT and GPA score. You may be awesome in extracurriculars and your career. You may have laser-like focus on what you want to accomplish. But in the end, one big factor that you can't ever control is just pure random chance. The thing that really stayed in my head was my friend saying Derrick Bolton probably has 3 stacks of 200 students in front of him that would make an equally fantastic incoming GSB class. No matter what though, two of those stacks will have to go. It's not your fault, that's just the way the chips fall.

I guess in the end what I'm trying to say is don't be discouraged if you don't get in. You're all still rockstars in the work that you do and have the capability to do incredible things. In my book, Wharton is a nice to have, but not a must-have.
Current Student
Send PM
that sounds like the age-old "you are all winners...." pep talk....BS
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V35
Send PM
PEanalyst wrote:
Jerry are you an R1 or R2 waitlister?

I would assume that all R1 waitlisters that were re-waitlisted in R2 got periodically because they have seen our applications so many times now that its easier to make decisions prior to May 12th as people drop out.

I am a Round 2 waitlister.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
well put CyberC...though, here's when i start praying for wharton admits to get through stanford and harvard..and for them to accept those offers ;P
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: Tepper (R2) , Johnson (R2) , Ross (R2) , Wharton (R2) , Kellogg (R2)
Send PM
formerlyknownas wrote:
that sounds like the age-old "you are all winners...." pep talk....BS

Old pep-talk, definitely...BS, I think not!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Wharton/Lauder, Kellogg
Send PM
sprk wrote:
well put CyberC...though, here's when i start praying for wharton admits to get through stanford and harvard..and for them to accept those offers ;P

Amen

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  10   11   12   13   14   15   16  ...  23