Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 07:37 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 07:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [8]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 304 [2]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 304 [0]
Send PM
Re: Zoologist: Meerkats are desert mammals that live in groups [#permalink]
raghavakumar85 wrote:
What's wrong with C? Doesn't it weaken the zoologist's argument?

(C) Several desert species prey on meerkats, and meerkats are most at risk when they are foraging for food, even if one of the group stands guard

C says that meerkats are most at risk when THEY are foraging for food. This means all of them are at risk and not any particular one among them. This is exactly what the zoologists cites as reason for meerkats behaviour not being altruistic. Notice that option E neither contradicts the claim that all of them are at equal risk nor tries to prove that the meerkat who stands guard is on higher risk, instead E gives a new reason why meerkats are altruistic. From E we can infer that all meerkats are at equal risk of death but the guard may not receive any food for his service whereas other meerkats will will eat during forage.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [0]
Send PM
Could you explain why E is preferred over B ?
B certainly weeks the conclusion " Death means altruism " by explaining that "Death is not the only criterion for altruism"
Where as E, provides a totally new view point which is not mentioned in the paragraph and also doesn't say anything about being altruist.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: None
Own Kudos [?]: 753 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V27
GPA: 3.01
WE:Sales (Manufacturing)
Send PM
This Question is out of scope for me. :lol:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [0]
Send PM
Lolz... :) I hope AJ85 or some other CR geek has an explanation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 304 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
catfreak wrote:
Could you explain why E is preferred over B ?
B certainly weeks the conclusion " Death means altruism " by explaining that "Death is not the only criterion for altruism"
Where as E, provides a totally new view point which is not mentioned in the paragraph and also doesn't say anything about being altruist.

hii catfreak, - two things is important to note. Neither altruism means death nor death means altruism . Altruism is any act which you do for others without any 'selfish' motive. For example If a Rich person does a lot of charity for poor without intention to get fame or accolade, but only from feeling of humanity then that act will be called as altruism.

The zoologist argues that Meerkats on guard duty do not face a greater risk of being killed than other meerkats who are involved in foraging, so the act of meerkat is not truly altruistic. From this we can infer that zoologist believes that if the meerkat who stands guard during the time when group are involved in eating was more at risk to die of attack of a predator then that act would have been called altruistic. So zoologist believes meerkats are not altruistic. We have to prove that meerkats are altruistic in some way.

(B) The degree to which an activity may lead to immediate death is not the only determinant of altruism.

This option does not talks about death. read it again, it only says that the risk of death is NOT the only criteria of determining altruism. means there can be other acts which can be altruistic. This option definitely questions the zoologists claim but UNLIKE E it does not provide an example of altruistic behaviour from meerkats. E does provides an example of altruistic behaviour from meerkats and thus completely negates or weaken the faulty conclusion of zoologist.

Also the other point, we are not allowed to bring an outside info in assumption or inference question. In a strengthen or weaken question we can bring an outside information if that information does not contradicts original argument.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [1]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
Kudos
Zoologist: Meerkats are desert mammals that live in groups and are believed to exhibit altruistic behavior. While the group is foraging, a single meerkat will stand guard, keeping watch for predators and giving loud warning cries when danger appears. However, this behavior is not true altruism: Meerkats on guard duty do not face a greater risk of being killed, and solitary meerkats will also stand guard.
Conclusion: Meerkats stand guard even when alone, not necessarily when they are in groups. Hence, these animals are not altruistic. An option that shows that a Meerkat is concerned about other Meerkats will prove that they are indeed altruistic.

(A) Some meerkat populations are nomadic and rarely return to the same place to find food. Irrelevant
(B) The degree to which an activity may lead to immediate death is not the only determinant of altruism. Irrelevant. No such degree is mentioned.
(C) Several desert species prey on meerkats, and meerkats are most at risk when they are foraging for food, even if one of the group stands guard. Wrong. This shows that ALL meerkats are in danger. Not necessarily ONE.
(D) A solitary meerkat who stands guard may be part of a group except for when it forages for food. slightly strengthens
(E) When meerkats stand guard, they forego opportunities to forage for food even though others in the group may not share food with them. Shows that these animals are concerned about others first, hence are altruistic. CORRECT
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
A,B,C are out of scope. Only D and E are left.
Since my English is not good, I do not understand words "solitary" and "forgo", but using the critical reading skill, I guess C is the answer b/c D seems to strengthen the argument as the animal tends to look for food alone.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 932
Send PM
E.
But it appears really straightforward. Is this qx really 700 level?
VP
VP
Send PM
B is definitely not an answer.
First, B is too broad.
Second, B does not weaken the reason that "meerkats on guard duty do not face a greater risk of being killed"
Third, "Meerkats on guard duty" is not mentioned.

E is the answer, but because it makes most sense, and because of POE.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [0]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
E doesn't address this: Meerkats on guard duty do not face a greater risk of being killed

(E) When meerkats stand guard, they forego opportunities to forage for food even though others in the group may not share food with them.

so even though they let go opportunity to eat but they are driven by the motive that they won't be killed. Food vs. life - they are choosing life and there is the selfish reason.

(B) The degree to which an activity may lead to immediate death is not the only determinant of altruism.
while gives attack the definition of altruism. so it say, well OK, they are safe but that's not the criteria to define altruism. I think B is a better choice.
VP
VP
Send PM
abrakadabra21 wrote:
E doesn't address this: Meerkats on guard duty do not face a greater risk of being killed

(E) When meerkats stand guard, they forego opportunities to forage for food even though others in the group may not share food with them.

so even though they let go opportunity to eat but they are driven by the motive that they won't be killed. Food vs. life - they are choosing life and there is the selfish reason.

while gives attack the definition of altruism. so it say, well OK, they are safe but that's not the criteria to define altruism. I think B is a better choice.

what the conclusion really wants to say is meerkats on guard is not altruism but selfish. E argues against this conclusion.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 474 [0]
Given Kudos: 1227
Schools: XLRI"20
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
The key to this question is "altruistic".

I didn't know the meaning of "altruistic". Poor me :upsidedown

After knowing the meaning of "altruistic", Choice E makes more sense.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts