Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:22 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5096 [88]
Given Kudos: 289
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619237 [28]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 7208 [5]
Given Kudos: 193
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [1]
Given Kudos: 71
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 3: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.16
WE:Consulting (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Re: Given that N = a^3b^4c^5 where a, b and c are distinct prime numbers [#permalink]
Bookmarks
oh wow...I spent a good amount of time on this one yesterday before finally getting a headache and hoping Bunuel or Karishma would chime in...I now realize I was attempting to solve a completely different problem :(

As it is formatted, it looks like the question (and relative format of the answer choices) is:
N = a^(3b)^(4c)^5

and not:
N = (a^3)(b^4)(c^5)

:(

many thanks Bunuel!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
GPA: 3.33
WE:Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: Given that N = a^3b^4c^5 where a, b and c are distinct prime numbers [#permalink]
I was intimidated by the exponential when I started reading this question. As it turns out, it is an LCM question.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [1]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Bookmarks
evdo wrote:
I was intimidated by the exponential when I started reading this question. As it turns out, it is an LCM question.

Even if you don not recognize that it is an LCM question, you can solve it in 30-45 seconds as shown below:

\(N = a^3b^4c^5\)

Now you need to find more powers of a,b,c such that the 5th root, 3rd root and the square root are all integers (this is what the question means by "such that it becomes a perfect square, a perfect cube as well as a perfect fifth power?" )

For this to happen, N needs to be multiplied by another number (= the correct option to the question asked).

Given that \(N = a^3b^4c^5\) ---> Start with the 5th power or root (as you will see, this is the most restrictive of the 3 required roots).

For a number to have an integer value of a "n"th root, it needs to be of the form : \(N = a^n\) ---> \(N^{1/n} = a\) (if you have any other power then you may not get an integer value when you take the 'n' th root.)

Applying the above logic to the question at hand,

\(N = a^3b^4c^5\) , we need to make powers of a,b,c multiple of 5 when these options are multiplied by N. Also \(x^a * x^b = x^{a+b}\)

Thus, Options A and B are out as they will not provided power of 'a' as a multiple of 5 when these options are multiplied by N. No need to check the other powers for these 2 options.

We have options C-E remaining. check now for 3rd root or cube power!! For this we need to make sure that the powers of a,b,c are multiples of 3 when these options are multiplied by N.

Options C and D are thus eliminated as they do not provide power of 'a' as a multiple of 3 when these options are multiplied by N.

E is thus the final answer.

Although, this text looks intimidating, it took me not more than 30 seconds to figure out the correct answer.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4548 [2]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
Kudos
The powers of a, b and c have to be divisible by 2, 3 and 5 for N to be a perfect square, perfect cube and perfect 5th power.
LCM of 2, 3 and 5 is 30
The smallest integer N = (a^30)(b^30)(c^30)

Answer: E
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1393 [4]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
Given that N=a^3*b^4*c^5 where a, b and c are distinct prime numbers, what is the smallest number with which N should be multiplied such that it becomes a perfect square, a perfect cube as well as a perfect fifth power?

A. a^3*b^4*c^5
B. a^5*b^4*c^3
C. a^2*b^3*c^5
D. a^7*b^6*c^5
E. a^27*b^26*c^25

Kudos for correct solution.

Given: N=a^3*b^4*c^5
We need to make this a perfect square, a perfect cube as well as a perfect fifth power.

LCM of 2, 3 and 5 = 30
Therefore we need to have the powers of a, b and c as 30
Option E gives us the term that on multiplication will make N as (a^30)(b^30)(c^30)
Correct Option : E
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1368 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
We need to turn N = a³b⁴c⁵ into a perfect square, cube and a fifth power.
Hence whatever are the powers of a, b and c, they should all the divisible by 2, 3, and 5
Or in other words, the powers should be the LCM of 2, 3 and 5 = 30 (Since we need the smallest number)

Hence the multiplication factor should be: a²⁷b²⁶c²⁵

Correct Option: E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Answer:E
N1=a^3*b^4*c^5 should be perfect square, a perfect cube as well as a perfect fifth power
Perfect square: ^2
Perfect cube: ^3
Perfect fifth: ^5
to combine all, we need a common factor 2x3x5 = 30
then N3=a^30*b^30*c^30 is the perfect of the three numbers.
N1*N2=N3
N2 will be a^27*b^26*c^25
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 3132 [5]
Given Kudos: 893
GRE 1: Q169 V154
Send PM
Kudos