Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:03 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [2]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
GmatNY86 wrote:
I wonder if anyone' getting accepted this week after yesterday. Is it every day or once a week?

It would be interesting to know how long people on the wait list that receive offers have to decide. I think you would have to know that before being able to answer your question.

Say after the May 30 deadline there were 20 spots (have no idea how many). I can't imagine them making many more than 20 WL offers. My thinking is that the chance of an offer being accepted at this time is pretty high relative to earlier in the process.

Then they will just continue that process till they decide they are done.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
awchambe87 wrote:
GmatNY86 wrote:
I wonder if anyone' getting accepted this week after yesterday. Is it every day or once a week?

It would be interesting to know how long people on the wait list that receive offers have to decide. I think you would have to know that before being able to answer your question.

Say after the May 30 deadline there were 20 spots (have no idea how many). I can't imagine them making many more than 20 WL offers. My thinking is that the chance of an offer being accepted at this time is pretty high relative to earlier in the process.

Then they will just continue that process till they decide they are done.

Do you think they filled all of their spots yesterday and the rest will be people that get in when WL people declined? Or is it possible that they didn't fill in all of their spots yesterday? This is so frustrating. I think I'm losing hope AGAIN.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I will say that going by last year's waitlist thread a lot of people were getting accepts pretty late in the game, and many of the people that got correspondence did. And I got correspondence from McCombs. Maybe it's too early to lose hope.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GmatNY86 wrote:
I will say that going by last year's waitlist thread a lot of people were getting accepts pretty late in the game, and many of the people that got correspondence did. And I got correspondence from McCombs. Maybe it's too early to lose hope.

I think its a slow process. I'm sure there are a lot of variables they have to take into consideration including the diversity of the class both in race/gender and desired concentration...they probably have to reevaluate those issues after each new round of offers. With out being in the room with them you just never know...including where you are on the WL.

They sent an email saying mid to late june is when we can expect to hear...i would try not to over analyze until then.

I feel you though
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
awchambe87 wrote:
GmatNY86 wrote:

I think its a slow process. I'm sure there are a lot of variables they have to take into consideration including the diversity of the class both in race/gender and desired concentration...they probably have to reevaluate those issues after each new round of offers. With out being in the room with them you just never know...including where you are on the WL.

They sent an email saying mid to late june is when we can expect to hear...i would try not to over analyze until then.

I feel you though

Yeah, I got that e-mail, though some people got calls yesterday and it didn't fit in the time frames they mentioned. Also, not everyone got that e-mail, I hope that's good news for me.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V50
GPA: 3.92
WE:Project Management (Other)
Send PM
awchambe87 wrote:
GmatNY86 wrote:

About 3 days(ish). I got accepted yesterday and have until Thursday to respond.

That is a little misleading though, because the deposit invoice isn't generated until you accept the position, so for all intents and purposes, you have more like a week to a week and a half (I'm not sure how long the invoice generation will take and how long I have after that, but I think it is a couple days).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Anyone else find it troubling that admissions would send an update on waitlist timelines to only some of those on the waitlist? I mean if the email were in the nature of "hey, we're checking in to gauge your continuing interest," I could understand that. But to exclude at least some waitlisters from an email offering guidance as to general timeframes for decisions strikes me as both inconsiderate and bizarre.

I've heard not a single word from UT since receiving my waitlist decision. McCombs admissions administers what is by far the most oblique waitlist policy I've encountered. I'd expect better. Then again, from what I've read, Rodrigo's not exactly been playing to rave reviews during his tenure leading admissions. Perhaps he's on the way out.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
venividivici2016 wrote:
Anyone else find it troubling that admissions would send an update on waitlist timelines to only some of those on the waitlist? I mean if the email were in the nature of "hey, we're checking in to gauge your continuing interest," I could understand that. But to exclude at least some waitlisters from an email offering guidance as to general timeframes for decisions strikes me as both inconsiderate and bizarre.

I've heard not a single word from UT since receiving my waitlist decision. McCombs admissions administers what is by far the most oblique waitlist policy I've encountered. I'd expect better. Then again, from what I've read, Rodrigo's not exactly been playing to rave reviews during his tenure leading admissions. Perhaps he's on the way out.

I feel you. IMO, if you didn't get e-mails because you're not seriously considered anymore they should just ding you. The worst thing is being on the waitlist without hope. Otherwise, I think it would only be fair for you to get the e-mails.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
That said, I'm aware that the Adcoms have a really tough job to do, it's a HUGE school and a top school. I can see why this isn't the most pleasant process for us, because it isn't for them.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GmatNY86 wrote:
That said, I'm aware that the Adcoms have a really tough job to do, it's a HUGE school and a top school. I can see why this isn't the most pleasant process for us, because it isn't for them.

Totally agreed that a ding would be preferable if it is indeed the case that those who haven't received any correspondence from admissions are not under serious consideration. As could be deduced from my post, I find the entire waitlist process to be deeply inconsiderate across many programs. Waitlisting 400 applicants with the knowledge that in a best case scenario, 50 get admitted? Hard to describe that course of action as anything but unethical, not to mention hypocritical given these programs' ostensible focus on ethics.

Sounds like sour grapes. Admittedly, to some extent it is. But the more salient point is that there's no excuse for keeping waitlisted applicants in the dark, then subdividing the group, and treating one of the groups like second class citizens. The solution? In a word, transparency. I'm not asking for programs to adhere to a ranked waitlist. But it's not too much to ask that all waitlisted students be kept in the loop and apprised of new information when it becomes available.

Finally, while UT is indeed a huge school, the MBA program is relatively small. Having the mixed blessing of being on the waitlist at several larger programs (2X and 3X UT's size), I can say without reservation that UT is alone in its oblique approach (no contact, no guidance, and now selectively provided general info) to waitlist admissions. Candidly, I don't see how the process is unpleasant for them. They wait for someone to choose another program, and pick one name from a list of hundreds of well qualified applicants. Won't lose any sleep over their plight.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
venividivici2016 wrote:
GmatNY86 wrote:

Totally agreed that a ding would be preferable if it is indeed the case that those who haven't received any correspondence from admissions are not under serious consideration. As could be deduced from my post, I find the entire waitlist process to be deeply inconsiderate across many programs. Waitlisting 400 applicants with the knowledge that in a best case scenario, 50 get admitted? Hard to describe that course of action as anything but unethical, not to mention hypocritical given these programs' ostensible focus on ethics.

Sounds like sour grapes. Admittedly, to some extent it is. But the more salient point is that there's no excuse for keeping waitlisted applicants in the dark, then subdividing the group, and treating one of the groups like second class citizens. The solution? In a word, transparency. I'm not asking for programs to adhere to a ranked waitlist. But it's not too much to ask that all waitlisted students be kept in the loop and apprised of new information when it becomes available.

Finally, while UT is indeed a huge school, the MBA program is relatively small. Having the mixed blessing of being on the waitlist at several larger programs (2X and 3X UT's size), I can say without reservation that UT is alone in its oblique approach (no contact, no guidance, and now selectively provided general info) to waitlist admissions. Candidly, I don't see how the process is unpleasant for them. They wait for someone to choose another program, and pick one name from a list of hundreds of well qualified applicants. Won't lose any sleep over their plight.

That's weird because McCombs has been the most accommodating school for me. I was WLed in 2 other schools and last time neither sent me an e-mail telling me that I will continue to be on the waitlist on time and one didn't sent me such an e-mail at all. McCombs sent 2 e-mails to me, one telling me "where they are in the process" and what I can do. Of course you didn't get those e-mails, so I can understand your frustrations.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[/quote] That's weird because McCombs has been the most accommodating school for me. I was WLed in 2 other schools and last time neither sent me an e-mail telling me that I will continue to be on the waitlist on time and one didn't sent me such an e-mail at all. McCombs sent 2 e-mails to me, one telling me "where they are in the process" and what I can do. Of course you didn't get those e-mails, so I can understand your frustrations.[/quote]

I'm totally good with targeting a given number of waitlisters for that second email (i.e., gauging continued interest, offering advice to improve candidacy). It's the exclusion from the process update email that I find baffling. Everyone deserves that much.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
venividivici2016 wrote:

I'm totally good with targeting a given number of waitlisters for that second email (i.e., gauging continued interest, offering advice to improve candidacy). It's the exclusion from the process update email that I find baffling. Everyone deserves that much.

Actually the second e-mail was the process update e-mail, the first was gauging interest and asking about career goals. I feel you man. I stand a very real chance of getting shutout and 2 schools have left me totally in the dark. If you by any chance got in somewhere you're ahead of me.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GmatNY86 wrote:
venividivici2016 wrote:

Actually the second e-mail was the process update e-mail, the first was gauging interest and asking about career goals. I feel you man. I stand a very real chance of getting shutout and 2 schools have left me totally in the dark. If you by any chance got in somewhere you're ahead of me.

Got it. Fortunately, I did get into a few programs more or less on par with UT. Really loved Austin and career opportunities there, so that's the source of disappointment. It's actually my experience as an admitted student that underlies my criticism of the waitlist process (UT's in particular). Once admitted, they'll bend over backwards to sell you on their program. There's good sense to that, but if, as adcoms often say, waitlisters are qualified for their program but lost a numbers game, it's tough to reconcile what I perceive to be abysmal treatment of those on the waitlist who poured hours into applications, and in many cases spent good money to visit the program. It's not just UT -- with few exceptions, waitlisters deserve much better. MBA programs frequent admonitions about ethics need to extend to waitlisted applicants. Ethics aren't about how you treat those you need something from (i.e. accepting an admit); it's about how you comport yourself with those from whom you need nothing at all. Stepping off my soapbox...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@JuliusCaesar Why do you care so much? Is Texas your #1 Program?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
venividivici2016 wrote:
GmatNY86 wrote:
venividivici2016 wrote:

Got it. Fortunately, I did get into a few programs more or less on par with UT. Really loved Austin and career opportunities there, so that's the source of disappointment. It's actually my experience as an admitted student that underlies my criticism of the waitlist process (UT's in particular). Once admitted, they'll bend over backwards to sell you on their program. There's good sense to that, but if, as adcoms often say, waitlisters are qualified for their program but lost a numbers game, it's tough to reconcile what I perceive to be abysmal treatment of those on the waitlist who poured hours into applications, and in many cases spent good money to visit the program. It's not just UT -- with few exceptions, waitlisters deserve much better. MBA programs frequent admonitions about ethics need to extend to waitlisted applicants. Ethics aren't about how you treat those you need something from (i.e. accepting an admit); it's about how you comport yourself with those from whom you need nothing at all. Stepping off my soapbox...

Well, first of all, my GMAT expires after this year, so if I get shutout, I'd have to either forget b school or start the whole process over completely and this time without Kaplan resources such as a bunch of tests. So I feel you.

Second, I'm not sure "unethical" is the right word, though it would be nice to have some transparency, but at least for me I guess I have to remember that I sometimes have to be patient in life (I'm just about the least patient person on earth). This has indeed been agonizing for me, but I don't think unethical is the correct word for it, unless you have a loose definition, at least IMHO.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Well, first of all, my GMAT expires after this year, so if I get shutout, I'd have to either forget b school or start the whole process over completely and this time without Kaplan resources such as a bunch of tests. So I feel you.

Second, I'm not sure "unethical" is the right word, though it would be nice to have some transparency, but at least for me I guess I have to remember that I sometimes have to be patient in life (I'm just about the least patient person on earth). This has indeed been agonizing for me, but I don't think unethical is the correct word for it, unless you have a loose definition, at least IMHO.[/quote]

Hmmm…I would suggest that keeping far more applicants on the waitlist than it could possibly admit (while providing zero guidance and suggesting that we refrain from contacting them) well into the summer is highly self serving. In my book, a degree of selfishness that knowingly and unapologetically disregards the effects of one's decisions on a large group of people - e.g., it's tough to make plans of any sort while waiting for a decision- is among the quintessential forms of unethical behavior. Requesting patience is one thing. Purposefully overpopulating and largely disregarding the waitlist is quite another.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts