It is currently 23 Aug 2017, 08:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

McCombs (UT Austin) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 20

GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.75
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2014, 13:25
venividivici2016 wrote:
GmatNY86 wrote:
venividivici2016 wrote:

I'm totally good with targeting a given number of waitlisters for that second email (i.e., gauging continued interest, offering advice to improve candidacy). It's the exclusion from the process update email that I find baffling. Everyone deserves that much.

Actually the second e-mail was the process update e-mail, the first was gauging interest and asking about career goals. I feel you man. I stand a very real chance of getting shutout and 2 schools have left me totally in the dark. If you by any chance got in somewhere you're ahead of me.

Got it. Fortunately, I did get into a few programs more or less on par with UT. Really loved Austin and career opportunities there, so that's the source of disappointment. It's actually my experience as an admitted student that underlies my criticism of the waitlist process (UT's in particular). Once admitted, they'll bend over backwards to sell you on their program. There's good sense to that, but if, as adcoms often say, waitlisters are qualified for their program but lost a numbers game, it's tough to reconcile what I perceive to be abysmal treatment of those on the waitlist who poured hours into applications, and in many cases spent good money to visit the program. It's not just UT -- with few exceptions, waitlisters deserve much better. MBA programs frequent admonitions about ethics need to extend to waitlisted applicants. Ethics aren't about how you treat those you need something from (i.e. accepting an admit); it's about how you comport yourself with those from whom you need nothing at all. Stepping off my soapbox...

Well, first of all, my GMAT expires after this year, so if I get shutout, I'd have to either forget b school or start the whole process over completely and this time without Kaplan resources such as a bunch of tests. So I feel you.

Second, I'm not sure "unethical" is the right word, though it would be nice to have some transparency, but at least for me I guess I have to remember that I sometimes have to be patient in life (I'm just about the least patient person on earth). This has indeed been agonizing for me, but I don't think unethical is the correct word for it, unless you have a loose definition, at least IMHO.

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 20

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesJamboree Discount CodesMagoosh Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 5

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2014, 16:13
This post received
KUDOS
Well, first of all, my GMAT expires after this year, so if I get shutout, I'd have to either forget b school or start the whole process over completely and this time without Kaplan resources such as a bunch of tests. So I feel you.

Second, I'm not sure "unethical" is the right word, though it would be nice to have some transparency, but at least for me I guess I have to remember that I sometimes have to be patient in life (I'm just about the least patient person on earth). This has indeed been agonizing for me, but I don't think unethical is the correct word for it, unless you have a loose definition, at least IMHO.[/quote]

Hmmm…I would suggest that keeping far more applicants on the waitlist than it could possibly admit (while providing zero guidance and suggesting that we refrain from contacting them) well into the summer is highly self serving. In my book, a degree of selfishness that knowingly and unapologetically disregards the effects of one's decisions on a large group of people - e.g., it's tough to make plans of any sort while waiting for a decision- is among the quintessential forms of unethical behavior. Requesting patience is one thing. Purposefully overpopulating and largely disregarding the waitlist is quite another.

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 5

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Announcing the 2015 Texas MBA Application Essays [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2014, 09:00
FROM Mccombs(Texas Austin) Admissions Blog: Announcing the 2015 Texas MBA Application Essays
Each year, like most business schools, we update our application essay prompts in an effort to better glean important information from our candidates.  The essay is a great opportunity to do a few things: one, it shows your writing skills; two, it gives us a glimpse into your personality; but maybe most importantly, it helps answer a few very important questions that we need answered to best determine if you are right for McCombs.

Instead of giving you a vague open-ended prompt, there are actually a few burning topics we need you to be sure to cover, namely having to do with why you want to attend McCombs, who you are both professionally and personally, and what goals you want to achieve while in our program and beyond.  You have some work to do to convince us that we are the right program for you, therefore please take a moment to review our essay topics and begin to think about how you might approach answering the essay questions.

Our essays are now posted on our website, so please feel free to visit the site to learn more about the essays and the application process.  I have also listed the essays below.

Stay tuned to our blog as we will be posting helpful advice on how to approach answering the essay questions in the weeks to come.

ESSAY 1

Imagine that you are at the Texas MBA Orientation for the Class of 2017.  Please introduce yourself to your new classmates, and include information you feel relevant to both your personal and professional life.  Select only one communication method that you would like to use for your response.

• Write an essay (250 words)
  • Share a video introduction (one minute)
  • Share your about.me profile
ESSAY 2

In the Texas MBA program, we promote a diverse and collaborative community by providing opportunities for growth in an academically rigorous environment.  Please discuss why McCombs is the right program for you, what you hope to gain from your time in the Texas MBA Program both personally and professionally, and how you will contribute to your classmates’ experiences. (500 words)

OPTIONAL ESSAY 

Please provide any additional information that you believe is important and/or will address any areas of concern that will be beneficial to the Admissions Committee in considering your application. (250 words)

• For example, if your standardized test scores are not exactly what you would like them to be or if you have not had coursework in core business subjects (i.e. calculus, microeconomics, statistics, financial accounting, or finance), please tell us how you plan to prepare yourself for the quantitative rigor of the MBA curriculum.  If relevant to your circumstances, please also discuss any other factors that you think may impact your candidacy (i.e. unexplained gaps in work experience, choice of recommenders, academic performance, or any significant weaknesses in your application or extenuating personal circumstances).
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 23 [3] , given: 20

Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V36
GPA: 3.56
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2014, 14:11
This post received
KUDOS
To all current and future applicants:

I wanted to write this because I was unhappy about my experience in applying to Texas. To put it succinctly, I submitted an online video for essay one and I know through YouTube analytics that the most anyone from Texas watched the video was 16 seconds (of a one minute video.) The reason I bring this up is because I spent untold number of hours preparing my application and spending $175 to apply, and I feel that if the school could not spend a full minute watching my video, what does that say about the rest of my application? I don't know any more information about what happened with my application, but I was extremely disappointed. I know there was a lot of talk about Texas being inundated with more applicants than expected, but if true, it does not change my opinion on my treatment. Frankly, if the school could not handle the applicant load and properly review my application, they should have been forthright and refunded my money.

I debated whether to write this post, as I am afraid it will come across as a disgruntled applicant who didn't get in. I would have loved to go to Texas and I do not harbor any ill will towards the school. Furthermore, I am fortunate to be going to a school that I know wants to do everything to make me happy and successful. I just wanted to post this so those who may also feel they were mistreated are not alone and for any future applicants to please consider how a school treats you as part of the decision-making process.

Thank you for reading.

Kudos [?]: 23 [3] , given: 20

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2014, 10:00
Has anyone gotten anything new in terms of updates in the past week?

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 42

Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
GPA: 3.1
WE: Education (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2014, 12:07
TheBiggestGuy wrote:

Not even a peep.

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 42

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2014, 11:42
anujkhatiwada wrote:
TheBiggestGuy wrote:

Not even a peep.

Still all quiet on the western front?

Was really hoping to see some movement today.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2014, 11:57
Just got the rejection email!!

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 4

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2014, 20:51
patelsid wrote:
Just got the rejection email!!

Sorry to hear that.

Am very curious as to how long it takes to "round out" a class of 400 after all of the deposits have been due for over two weeks? If only there was a full time staff who could work on these types of decisions. Even if you get admitted at this point, doesnt look like you would even be able to do any of the group treks or any of the Pre-MBA course work.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Schools: Cnsrtm-Hass '16
McCombs (UT Austin) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2014, 10:43
FYI JUST REMOVED MYSELF FROM WAITLIST.
ACCEPTED OFFER @ JOHNSON
GOODLUCK :-D 8-) :!: :P :arrow:

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2014, 11:11
missnana wrote:
ACCEPTED OFFER @ JOHNSON

Congrats!

Has anyone else who received the email for the WL that they will make their decision in Mid-Late June received anything this week??

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2014, 11:12
TheBiggestGuy wrote:
missnana wrote:
ACCEPTED OFFER @ JOHNSON

Congrats!

Has anyone else who received the email for the WL that they will make their decision in Mid-Late June received anything this week??

Nothing

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2014, 10:54
June 23rd and no update from the WL...Has anyone heard any timelines for when final decisions will go?

Also, can anyone admitted share any key dates ( Travel Trips, Boot Camp Review, 1st Day, etc..) that is only accessible to those admitted?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GPA: 2.96
WE: Engineering (Other)

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2014, 11:42
TheBiggestGuy wrote:
June 23rd and no update from the WL...Has anyone heard any timelines for when final decisions will go?

Also, can anyone admitted share any key dates ( Travel Trips, Boot Camp Review, 1st Day, etc..) that is only accessible to those admitted?

I know that the start of the program is from mid august!! So probably all these things will initiate at that time only.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern

GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V44
GPA: 3.68
WE: Other (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2014, 07:49
I called about a week an a half ago to get some general info. There's no set decision date for wait-listed candidates, and I got the impression people could get admitted until just before the school year is about to begin. Last year, a friend of mine was admitted off of a different school's wait-list the day before she was set to leave for her program.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2014, 16:35
mikep3127 wrote:
I called about a week an a half ago to get some general info. There's no set decision date for wait-listed candidates, and I got the impression people could get admitted until just before the school year is about to begin. Last year, a friend of mine was admitted off of a different school's wait-list the day before she was set to leave for her program.

Just curious...was your friend set to leave for a different program than the program from whiich she admitted off of the waitlist? And did she accept the last minute decision?

Intern
Intern

GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V44
GPA: 3.68
WE: Other (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2014, 16:39
She did not, and neither school was mccombs. My point was more that people get admitted up until the last second.

Posted from my mobile device

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2014, 17:37
I've always been under the impression that people could be admitted extremely late. If someone drops out at the last second it makes sense that Texas would offer that spot to someone.

However, I think most of the people here are expecting to hear something soon based upon the email we all received in late May. I've been under the impression that there would be a good amount of offers at this point in time, relatively speaking, but maybe I was wrong.

If we are already at the point in which the only offers remaining will be because people are accepting offers at other places then I will be disapointed.

It seems like multiple offers were made in early june. So maybe we really are at the point I just mentioned, but I hope not.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2014, 08:04
One more business day until the last day if June and all of the waitlisters hear back...

Anyone think there's any chance at all for us?

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2014, 18:34
doctorsunkist wrote:
One more business day until the last day if June and all of the waitlisters hear back...

Anyone think there's any chance at all for us?

I wouldn't expect a good outcome for the majority of us considering there are more than 100 on the WL and while admissions scrambles to fill the class TexasMBA twitter feed retweets their admissions director having a good ole time at the World Cup.

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants!   [#permalink] 27 Jun 2014, 18:34

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52    Next  [ 1039 posts ]