Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:33 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Operations
GMAT 1: 680 Q41 V41
GMAT 2: 660 Q42 V40
GMAT 3: 690 Q42 V41
GPA: 3.03
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [1]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Re: Calling all HBS Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]
Kudos
harvardmbaapplicant wrote:
Voxius wrote:
I got a few private messages from applicants looking for advice in the 2nd round.

I'll give a summary of my application for those interested:

About 2 years of work experience indirectly managing 1 person (talked about learning the value of teamwork in my essays and how teamwork created a lifelong friendship and mutually beneficial relationship)
3.03 GPA (with junior college factored in, explained each failing grade of C- or lower and the extenuating circumstances I faced on a quarterly basis)
690 top GMAT score (added optional explanation explaining the circumstances surrounding my low scores all 3 nights before each test)
Non-brand name school (talked about how I was able to better develop myself at a lower brand school by becoming involved and having confidence that my intellectual ability was on par with everybody although the stats didn't show it)

All in all, I would say what probably distinguished my application the most from others is my "realness." I don't want to say too many specifics, but I made sure that I came off as genuine; adcoms all know the life of a college student, and sometimes, dealing with crazy exes or lack of motivation are valid reasons behind lower stats. Although I can't go back and change it, by applying to HBS, that showed that I wasn't some lazy person; I just need the right target to shoot for. I did not make excuses, but made sure I laid out the facts for them to see so the adcoms wouldn't make wrong judgments themselves. I am just going to be myself during the interview and see where that goes, because HBS was always a stretch for me to begin with!

Edit: I took the bait on a couple of free profile assessments by admissions counselors. I ended up not using any of them because they all told me flat out that I wouldn't be a strong candidate and I should focus on other schools (non m7). I felt that most of that criticism was due to my GMAT/GPA, which made me realize that those are probably the weaknesses I should address. For example, I got a good score (710 Q47 V42 IR 6) on the official GMAC practice tests, which should be indicative of ability to score highly on the real test, since they're made by the same people! Just because I had some crazy circumstances the nights before my official tests doesn't mean that a single test should hold me back! The low GPA was a little trickier since it was 4 years of steady grades, but I just made sure to explain each grade C- or lower (considered failing) by naming the reason and what I learned from it. Make sure you leave time to add some compelling optional portions!

Congrats on the interview invite; were there other extenuating circumstances in your case? (URM, etc.?) You should probably be a little cautious not to give people false hope if the situation isn't really comparable

Thanks and sorry, I forgot to mention that I'm an American-born Chinese female.

I don't really think it's false hope because the benefits far outweigh the costs of an application. My circumstances were mostly just being a victim of bad luck. I had trouble acclimating to school my first year. I had some pretty run of the mill relationship issues, but my inexperience in dating really allowed those issues to affect me. I had one good quarter with a 3.70 that I didn't need to do any explaining in. And I had a family member going through depression at home which really took a lot of my time my last 2 years.

Each of the GMAT tests I took had ridiculous traffic backups due to accidents on the main freeways and I had an upset stomach on the last test, but somehow ended up doing the best there! Like I said, the GMAC practice tests are officially from GMAC, so I've proved that I'm capable of a 710 during normal test-taking conditions.

I hear you for being honest, but I truly believe that this is not a strategy to apply to HBS just because it worked once, I'd be careful of trying to put excuses on everything that's below HBS average including GPA, GMAT, Work experience etc... I mean it can certainly be true but trust me its really easy to find stories for each and I don't think that ad-coms like to hear about more than one perhaps, anyone trying this can start sounding a really unprofessional by trying to justify everything with explanations

Hell I mean I got a lot of 750's on my practice tests but I got a 710, I honestly don't think HBS needs to know about that!

Hopefully, I guess in your case it was true and it worked, but I wouldn't suggest people to try this overall because it doesn't look well in most cases

Good luck with the interview process and I really hope that you get in, you played your cards and it seems to be working. There's merit there too for good execution

Cheers!
J :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: HBS '17 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V41
WE:Consulting (Transportation)
Send PM
jlgdr wrote:
I hear you for being honest, but I truly believe that this is not a strategy to apply to HBS just because it worked once, I'd be careful of trying to put excuses on everything that's below HBS average including GPA, GMAT, Work experience etc... I mean it can certainly be true but trust me its really easy to find stories for each and I don't think that ad-coms like to hear about more than one perhaps, anyone trying this can start sounding a really unprofessional by trying to justify everything with explanations

Hell I mean I got a lot of 750's on my practice tests but I got a 710, I honestly don't think HBS needs to know about that!

Hopefully, I guess in your case it was true and it worked, but I wouldn't suggest people to try this overall because it doesn't look well in most cases

Good luck with the interview process and I really hope that you get in, you played your cards and it seems to be working. There's merit there too for good execution

Cheers!

Yeah, I definitely agree. I would avoid writing about excuses unless you absolutely have to...

If anyone is interested in another interviewee profile: I am a Canadian business undergrad working at a medium-sized transportation company. I think I was able to get an interview because I was able to do well, while doing average things (e.g. average company but won an emerging leader award, average grades but won awards in a class of interest and so on...)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
gotti wrote:
jlgdr wrote:

Cheers!

Yeah, I definitely agree. I would avoid writing about excuses unless you absolutely have to...

If anyone is interested in another interviewee profile: I am a Canadian business undergrad working at a medium-sized transportation company. I think I was able to get an interview because I was able to do well, while doing average things (e.g. average company but won an emerging leader award, average grades but won awards in a class of interest and so on...)

Agreed. In my case, it was definitely a must since my stats were "low" for HBS and I really had nothing to lose. I'm hoping for the same type of luck for the other schools I applied to!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
I got a few private messages from applicants looking for advice in the 2nd round.

About 2 years of work experience indirectly managing 1 person (talked about learning the value of teamwork in my essays and how teamwork created a lifelong friendship and mutually beneficial relationship)
3.03 GPA (with junior college factored in, explained each failing grade of C- or lower and the extenuating circumstances I faced on a quarterly basis)
690 top GMAT score (added optional explanation explaining the circumstances surrounding my low scores all 3 nights before each test)
Non-brand name school (talked about how I was able to better develop myself at a lower brand school by becoming involved and having confidence that my intellectual ability was on par with everybody although the stats didn't show it)

All in all, I would say what probably distinguished my application the most from others is my "realness." I don't want to say too many specifics, but I made sure that I came off as genuine; adcoms all know the life of a college student, and sometimes, dealing with crazy exes or lack of motivation are valid reasons behind lower stats. Although I can't go back and change it, by applying to HBS, that showed that I wasn't some lazy person; I just need the right target to shoot for. I did not make excuses, but made sure I laid out the facts for them to see so the adcoms wouldn't make wrong judgments themselves. I am just going to be myself during the interview and see where that goes, because HBS was always a stretch for me to begin with!

Edit: I took the bait on a couple of free profile assessments by admissions counselors. I ended up not using any of them because they all told me flat out that I wouldn't be a strong candidate and I should focus on other schools (non m7). I felt that most of that criticism was due to my GMAT/GPA, which made me realize that those are probably the weaknesses I should address. For example, I got a good score (710 Q47 V42 IR 6) on the official GMAC practice tests, which should be indicative of ability to score highly on the real test, since they're made by the same people! Just because I had some crazy circumstances the nights before my official tests doesn't mean that a single test should hold me back! The low GPA was a little trickier since it was 4 years of steady grades, but I just made sure to explain each grade C- or lower (considered failing) by naming the reason and what I learned from it. Make sure you leave time to add some compelling optional portions!

There is definitely something more to this story...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mrsandoo617 wrote:

There is definitely something more to this story...

Anything specific you'd like to know? Glad to help out! In or not, I'm just happy to get an interview!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Who else is going to be in Boston Nov. 13/14? We should do a meetup!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
Send PM
Kudos
9W57th wrote:
I am in the further consideration/deferred bucket. Good luck to all those who made it and to those who did not! Application process has been a useful test of nerves

Quick question - Anything I can do to improve my chances for an acceptance from now till Mid-Feb. Everything from retaking GMAT to taking up special projects comes to mind.

On a practical note, I run a non-profit which is planning a TV and Radio outreach program which may reach >1 million people each month.
Is there a way to update this in my app?

My stats are:
Region: India / Asia
GMAT: 710 (Q 50, V 37, IR 7)
GPA: N.A. (First Division)
Work-Ex: Megafund (PE) + Investment Banking [Both US based global names]
Non-Profit: Pro-Bono leadership role at a social VC
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42