Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:12 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28573 [198]
Given Kudos: 130
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28573 [112]
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 194 [16]
Given Kudos: 275
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [1]
Given Kudos: 654
GMAT 1: 540 Q41 V23
GMAT 2: 570 Q44 V24
GMAT 3: 550 Q44 V21
GMAT 4: 660 Q48 V33
GPA: 3.31
WE:Science (Other)
Send PM
In anticipation of the coming year, Tecumseh Autos, a national auto ma [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Hi Mike,

It may be not related to this topic but I'd like to know the difficulty level of other 3 questions on your website.

I got question 3 and 4 wrong :(
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28573 [0]
Re: In anticipation of the coming year, Tecumseh Autos, a national auto ma [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Aves wrote:
Hi Mike,

It may be not related to this topic but I'd like to know the difficulty level of other 3 questions on your website.

I got question 3 and 4 wrong :(

Dear Aves,
I'm happy to respond. :-) In general, when I publish a batch of 3-4 questions, I arrange them from ones I think are easier to ones I think are harder. I did think that questions #3 and #4 are reasonably difficult questions.

I believe inherent in your question is a myth that each question has a scientifically discernible difficulty level, and that understanding this inherent difficult is part and parcel of writing a question. To be perfectly honest, I am not a particularly good person to ask about a question I wrote, because I understand any question I write inside-out, and this perspective makes it hard to judge the difficulty for someone approaching the question from scratch. Also, I believe there is something highly questionable about the idea of assigning individual questions specific point values in terms of difficulty. See this blog article
Is this a 700+ level GMAT question?

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [6]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
In anticipation of the coming year, Tecumseh Autos, a national auto ma [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi
i believe the question is wrong
option c says suv was the most profitable category and minivan the least profitable one which is based on last year sale.
the prediction is best on last year sale.
but the stimulus claims that the compact car is gonna make more profit than minivan and the third category will be suv.
thus the fourth and fifth categories will be other catergories, which will be less profitable

Originally posted by modarresansharif on 23 Nov 2016, 00:11.
Last edited by modarresansharif on 24 Nov 2016, 04:22, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Re: In anticipation of the coming year, Tecumseh Autos, a national auto ma [#permalink]
mikemcgarry wrote:
In anticipation of the coming year, Tecumseh Autos, a national auto manufacturer, is anticipating sales of its vehicles. Tecumseh manufactures compact cars, sedans, minivans, trucks, SUVs, and sports cars. In all categories of vehicles, Tecumseh sets prices so that the profit per vehicle is, on average, about the same. Since the best indicator for sales in each category are the sales last year, Tecumseh’s marketing analysts’ prediction of the three most profitable categories of vehicles in the coming year will be compact cars, minivans, and SUVs respectively.

Tecumseh’s marketing analysts’ prediction relies on which one of the following assumptions?

(A) Across all manufacturers, the most popular cars on the road in America are compact cars, minivans, and SUVs.

(B) The models of Tecumseh’s compact cars to be sold in the upcoming year are identical to or similar to those of last year.

(C) Last year, no other category of Tecumseh’s vehicles generated more profits than SUVs and less than minivans.

(D) The prediction will be refined after an analysis of the sales in the first quarter of this year.

(E) The number of models of compacts cars that Tecumseh produces is greater than the number of models of either minivans or SUVs.

Assumption questions are among the most common questions on the GMAT CR. For a discussion of them, with three other practice questions, as well as the OE of this particular question, see:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2016/gmat-criti ... questions/

Hi mikemcgarry

I dont think I really understand the rationale of selecting Option C. Can you please elaborate why Option C is the best choice and what is wrong with Option A. Frankly speaking, I thought all the 4 options to be irrelevant. :)

Question seemed to be very tough!!
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28573 [9]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
andy2502 wrote:
Hi mikemcgarry

I dont think I really understand the rationale of selecting Option C. Can you please elaborate why Option C is the best choice and what is wrong with Option A. Frankly speaking, I thought all the 4 options to be irrelevant. :)

Question seemed to be very tough!!

Dear andy2502,

I'm happy to respond. :-) Yes, this is a tough question.

My friend, here's what I am going to say. You are on GMAT Club to learn. Well, the process of learning, the process of education is not something that the experts "do" to you. Instead, it's something you do by yourself and for yourself, and experts such as myself simply support you in the process. One of the most valuable qualities a student can have is initiative. if you can clearly demonstrate initiative, this will set you apart in your applications for B school, in your job applications, and with respect to opportunities for promotion in your career. The people who always want to be told what to do don't advance very far in their careers. The people who are confidently self-sufficient and able to explore the unknown on their own are the ones who can perform well as leaders.

Rather than simply hand you an answer, because I am ambitious for you, I am going to ask you to take initiative. Look at at the link at the top post of the page: that post, in which the original problem appears, contains the OE. Also, look at my response to modarresansharif yesterday, in which I explain (C) in detail. Find out everything you can about the question first, then come back and, referring to all these sources, ask your question.

You see, most students will not achieve elite scores on the GMAT unless they commit themselves to the habits of excellence. One such habit is that of asking excellent questions. See:
Asking Excellent Questions
To support your own learning, I am going to challenge you to write the most excellent detailed question you can about this question.

My friend, I truly wish you the very best in your studies.

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [3]
Given Kudos: 128
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.58
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
mikemcgarry wrote:
In anticipation of the coming year, Tecumseh Autos, a national auto manufacturer, is anticipating sales of its vehicles. Tecumseh manufactures compact cars, sedans, minivans, trucks, SUVs, and sports cars. In all categories of vehicles, Tecumseh sets prices so that the profit per vehicle is, on average, about the same. Since the best indicator for sales in each category are the sales last year, Tecumseh’s marketing analysts’ prediction of the three most profitable categories of vehicles in the coming year will be compact cars, minivans, and SUVs respectively.

Tecumseh’s marketing analysts’ prediction relies on which one of the following assumptions?

(A) Across all manufacturers, the most popular cars on the road in America are compact cars, minivans, and SUVs.

(B) The models of Tecumseh’s compact cars to be sold in the upcoming year are identical to or similar to those of last year.

(C) Last year, no other category of Tecumseh’s vehicles generated more profits than SUVs and less than minivans.

(D) The prediction will be refined after an analysis of the sales in the first quarter of this year.

(E) The number of models of compacts cars that Tecumseh produces is greater than the number of models of either minivans or SUVs.

Assumption questions are among the most common questions on the GMAT CR. For a discussion of them, with three other practice questions, as well as the OE of this particular question, see:

Hi Mike,

I am not really convincing with the option C and end up choosing option A. Here is my rationale:

Premise:
1. Tecumseh Autos anticipate sales of next year.
2. Tecumseh Autos manufacture 5 types of autos: Compact cars (A), sedans (B), minivans (C), trucks (D), SUVs (E), and sports cars (F)
3. Tecumseh Autos set price so that profit of A, B, C, D, E and F, on average, is the same (lets say, x)
4. New year forecast based on sales in previous year.

Conclusion:
Three most profitable ones will be A, C and E

Underlying assumption:
Since:
(1). Profit per car is expected to be the same in the upcoming year, and.
(2). Sales forecasts are based on previous years' actual level.

Then,
Sales of A, C and E in next year > Sales of the other two
Or, Sales of A, C and E in previous year > Sales of the other two, which is mentioned in option A

For option C, as the profit per car is the same in next year, last year profit factor is irrelevant, in my opinion, to determine future profitability.

Thanks,
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 128
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.58
Send PM
Ah, I see where I went wrong.

It's the policy of the company to set price to make the same average profit per car across models, not new initiative in next year.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
The OA is correct and explanations provided in the thread appear sufficient. If there are any specific questions, please post them here and then click again on the "Request Expert Reply" button.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
This question looks more like must be true question- if it is so it will be sub 500 level question . :D because it is assumption and presuming this is hard. and moreover, People tend to presume that factors affecting the sales should be same last year and this year. We usually tend to favor 2nd option - but this is only a partial assumption. :) .
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [2]
Given Kudos: 80
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V22
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Kudos
mikemcgarry wrote:

Hi mikemcgarry, I read all of your posts above but still I have following doubt.

I was intended towards option C, but at last I selected A. Option C only talks about SUV's and Minivan's and not about Compact cars. Last year, if the sales of compact cars are less than that of SUV's and Minivan's then I think the conclusion may is not likely to be true.

Please clear this understanding if it is wrong..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Dear Mr McGarry

May I kindly clarify a point: In option C, does the word "profits" necessarily imply in the second part of the sentence i.e. less than minivans?

I did not pick this answer choice as it seem to indicate anything can be 'less than minivans'. Maybe I am just reading too much into this.

I will be grateful for your guidance.

Best wishes,
Hamant
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Expert Reply
RMD007 wrote:
Hi mikemcgarry, I read all of your posts above but still I have following doubt.

I was intended towards option C, but at last I selected A. Option C only talks about SUV's and Minivan's and not about Compact cars. Last year, if the sales of compact cars are less than that of SUV's and Minivan's then I think the conclusion may is not likely to be true.

Please clear this understanding if it is wrong..

Dear RMD007,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

Just because (C) only mentioned two of the three cars is not, in and of itself, a reason to reject it. Yes, if compact cars were even lower than SUVs and minivans, that would be another issue, but the problem does not ask us to consider that issue. Choice (A) is not correct because it is too far-reaching, concerning all manufacturers in the market. Choice (A) is vaguely suggestive but not strictly relevant to the prompt argument. Did you read the explanation for this particular question? Look specifically at that, at the blog linked above, and let me know if you have questions about it.
hmaini wrote:
Dear Mr McGarry

May I kindly clarify a point: In option C, does the word "profits" necessarily imply in the second part of the sentence i.e. less than minivans?

I did not pick this answer choice as it seem to indicate anything can be 'less than minivans'. Maybe I am just reading too much into this.

I will be grateful for your guidance.

Best wishes,
Hamant

Dear hmaini

My friend, choice (C) is 100% grammatically correct, and this is a point of grammar that can be particularly hard for non-native speakers to appreciate. See this blog article:
Dropping Common Words in Parallel on the GMAT

Let me know if you have any questions about that blog article.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:

To me it seems more like a "must be true" question than an "assumption" question. Or I am not able to understand the question at all.

I choose "B" for this "assumption" question.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Expert Reply
ravi11 wrote:
To me it seems more like a "must be true" question than an "assumption" question. Or I am not able to understand the question at all.

I choose "B" for this "assumption" question.

Dear ravi11,

My friend, do you really think there is a huge difference between assumption questions and "must be true" questions? Remember that, on the GMAT CR, a statement can be an assumption only if it must be true for the argument to work. Both assumptions and inference questions involve finding statements that must be true. It's true, this question here also might have been framed as an inference question, but it works perfectly well as an assumption question.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
This is a challenging question, however, the trick lies in the fact that all the other options barring C are insufficient assumptions. C is actually an indirect assumption, in that it skirted the conclusion by focusing on the excluded subset (SUV and minivan) and the equality of profit, but it is a valid one no less.
Again, this question is indicative of the uncanny similarity between Assumption CRs and DS questions.

Thanks for the question.

Best,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Isnt this more of an inference type as opposed to an assumption type of question? How does this assumption (C) bridge the premise to the conclusion?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Expert Reply
allenmartin1986 wrote:
Isnt this more of an inference type as opposed to an assumption type of question? How does this assumption (C) bridge the premise to the conclusion?

Dear allenmartin1986,

There's not necessarily the sharpest distinction between an assumption and an inference. If the passage is suppose to be taken as completely true, then (C) would be an inference. As it is, the argument is simply presented as an uncertain thing, needing logical bolstering, and (C) provides support for it as an assumption would.

Here, (C) doesn't necessarily "bridge," but it quite successfully passes the Negation Test. This later is a more widely applicable indication of an assumption.

Does this make sense?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts