Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:44 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.06
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Operations, Healthcare
GPA: 2.4
WE:Pharmaceuticals (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Send PM
Re: DeGroote (McMaster) Class of 2018 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
merokoli wrote:
hello everyone I have read all your posts in this topic and these posts helped me a lot in my application for Degroote. and i wanna thank VijayG6387, indierohit, niktesla, durahamter and all other amazing people who share their tips and insights during their application process. You have been so helpful.

Yesterday i was offered an admission for FT mba in Degroote, applied at 30th of March, finished the kira talent interview at 14th of April. and got the offer yesterday.

my profile: I am from Egypt .. pharmacist ( unusual background) .. GPA not so sure but it's 70% some websites says it's 1.7 other say 2 ( anyway i am pretty sure it's very low :) ) ..... GMAT 710 Q49-V37 .... with 7+ years of experience as staff pharmacist

originally I applied for the Co-op program. but in the offer of admission it's mentioned that my request was declined and i was offered admission for traditional mba program instead ( i don't know why ... maybe it's hard to provide internship opportunities to me because of my background and/or i have applied late). no mentions for scholarships or admission awards too.

I have confused feelings. i really liked the co-op program. so the good news is i am admitted .. the bad news i will probably reject the offer and continue my application for Sauder and John Molson .. I will re-evaluate my options ..

Just out of curiosity what is acceptance rate for Degroote school of business? .. I wanna feel good and special that i got that offer :-D

Hey Merokoli, congratulations on your admit. Glad that we were of some help, purpose of the thread has been served. :)
You've got a pretty good GMAT, which would have played a direct role in your admit. Yes, the decision on declining you the Co-Op would have been because of internship worries, your experience and the timeline of your application. With your experience, the full time would be the best fit for you.
With your GMAT and experience, and with some proper essays, I'm pretty sure you can get into any of the top schools in Canada. So yeah, if you decide to not join the full time program, won't be a big mistake. Even better would be seek an extension for the date of acceptance of their decision, and see if you can get into any other school, i.e only if you are very keen in pursuing your MBA this year. You could also try Queen's, Ivey and HEC as you'd be early in their application cycle. All the best to you.

Regards,
Vijay G
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi Everyone ,
I am an International applicant for the MBA Co-Op program, This thread has been very helpful for the entire application process. Thanks for being so kind to share all your experiences. Also, congratulation to everyone who has got an offer! I have been asked to choose a date for my Co-Op interview and wanted to ask you a few questions about the co-op interview experience:

1) What was the activity question that they made you do?

2) Activity Question: How is it timed? Is your webcam on the entire time? Are you allowed to write down points or refer to your documents?

3) What kind of Business acumen questions do they ask?

4) What was the behavioral section of the interview like, could you give a few examples of the questions they asked you?

5) At any point of your interview did your internet connection disconnect? (I don't have a stable internet connection)

6) How long did you give yourself to prepare for the Interview? What did you prepare for the interview?

Sorry to trouble you guys with so many questions, I’m quite anxious about the interview. Also if you prefer to answer these questions over the phone, please PM me your number and I can call you back. Alternatively you can drop me a text on +919899109010
Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Everyone ,
I am an International applicant for the MBA Co-Op program, This thread has been very helpful for the entire application process. Thanks for being so kind to share all your experiences. Also, congratulation to everyone who has got an offer! I have been asked to choose a date for my Co-Op interview and wanted to ask you a few questions about the co-op interview experience:

1) What was the activity question that they made you do?

2) Activity Question: How is it timed? Is your webcam on the entire time? Are you allowed to write down points or refer to your documents?

3) What kind of Business acumen questions do they ask?

4) What was the behavioral section of the interview like, could you give a few examples of the questions they asked you?

5) At any point of your interview did your internet connection disconnect? (I don't have a stable internet connection)

6) How long did you give yourself to prepare for the Interview? What did you prepare for the interview?

Sorry to trouble you guys with so many questions, I’m quite anxious about the interview. Also if you prefer to answer these questions over the phone, please PM me your number and I can call you back. Alternatively you can drop me a text on +919899109010
Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hey,

I finally got a revised offer letter for the co-op program after being waitlisted for over a month.
The surprising fact is my wife got into the co-op as well.

What a relief !! :roll: :-D

indierohit - I've PM(ed) you my number. Kindly add me in the group. And btw, what did you decide -- McGill or DeGroote ?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
WE:Sales (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Hi merokoli, I second what Vijay said.

hey, congrats! :) I'll add you to the group! I've declined McGill. So DeGroote it is!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Is there anyone here for the Full-Time program?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: DeGroote (A$)
Send PM
Hello friends,

I applied for the Full time MBA for this year september session and got an email from Degroote to complete the Video essay.

Any suggestions on what to prepare for it??

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Schools: DeGroote (A)
Send PM
Kudos
Hello to you all,

Thank you for your comments merokoli, I’m really glad that we could provide you with enough insight and knowledge for your application process in DeGroote.

I will provide additional information to complete Vijay statement.

Sauder and John Molson are really great schools, once more, I can’t really say which school is the best, most business magazines, news, social media, and if not bystanders, tend to place Rotman, Sauder and McGill as the top schools in Canada. Rotman and McGill do have well renowned brand names in the international business community, especially if you want to pursue a finance career. You do have a great GMAT, more than enough to apply for the top schools around the world, I’m confident you will be successful whether the path you trace yourself.

The acceptance rate for the DeGroote School of Business is 42% according to a study of the National Post. Alberta is 27%, McGill is 32%, Sauder is also 42%. I have no info about Rotman, but it also should be around the Alberta and the McGill range. This study is done back at 2012, but I think that the range has remained somewhat the same until today.

I going to attach a pdf in which you can find the information that I’m supplying you, you can also find information regarding post MBA salaries, among others. I recommend you seeing Canadian business magazine and Macclean’s for additional information regarding programs and rankings.

If you can see the 2014 DeGroote MBA brochure, post MBA average starting salary ranges around $68,350. In the national post, DeGroote MBA average starting salary ranges around $66,389, so at least regarding the salary, the numbers are somewhat similar. Alberta and Sauder have higher starting salaries. McGill has a notable starting average salary of $112,000. Usually top tier No 1 schools have starting salaries above $100k. But in the end this is all statistics.

Hello aashishmalhotra02, I’m glad that you both have obtained an offer to DeGroote co-op. This is the first time I heard that a couple are both joining an MBA program. I’m guessing that the experience will be quite unique during the program for both of you.

Hello indierohit, I just found out that you also got into McGill. I’m guessing that your choice was really hard to make. I was going to say that McGill kind of have a co-op for their FT students, they called it “internship”, but is pretty much the same thing if you look into it (I really hope that I'm not mistaken).

Hello prateek720, try to scan through this thread that we have given more than enough advice to tackle the video interview. The questions are totally random, mostly behavioral questions, time yourself using a video cam, and try to write down your most memorable experiences (especially work related) while practicing. Don’t forget to dress nicely. The questions are aimed to know you a bit better, there is no perfect response, try to answer specifically what they are asking you to respond. It will take you at most 15 to 30 min to complete. If you are an international applicant, don’t worry if you make some mistakes, DeGroote is aware that English is not your first language and mistakes are common. Best of all luck.
Attachments

cdn_mba_programs.pdf [124.17 KiB]
Downloaded 184 times

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Hi durahamter,

I can see that the file you've attached is out of the FT 2012. And it is comparing the McMaster FT with the Alberta FT.
Any idea on what is the average-post-mba salary for a co-op graduate from mac?

I can't seem to find anything for the same on the internet. :x
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
Hi All, is there anyone in this group who is going to join FT MBA? When I try to find about Degroote MBA all i get to know is Co-op. Im not sure about FT mba. Is there anyone is this group who can shed some light. I basically want to know about it employment stats.
Also, is there a https://gmatclub.com/chat group for FT MBA ?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
WE:Sales (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Hi durahamter

Thanks for the pdf doc. Yea, it was tough to choose between McGill and Degroote, but I'm going DeGroote.
Are you in the FT or the Co-op?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Operations, Healthcare
GPA: 2.4
WE:Pharmaceuticals (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Thanks VijayG6387 & durahamter for your detailed replies :-D

Thanks for your recommendations about schools. I have spent 3 months searching all MBA programs available in Canada. There are 40+ program. I read all the rankings. I have some doubts about most of these ranks . using average salary after graduation as a comparison metrics is not right, some school have finance specialization and these guys get paid well ... other school don't have this specialization and by definition the average salary after graduation will be low. using replacement isn't fair too it's all about the job opportunities available in the city .. not an indicator of school reputation .. that's why McMaster fT MBA replacement is't so impressive the school is in small city yes it's close to Toronto but that still have effect on the number of opportunities available to the graduates.

I came to conclusion that the average GMAT is somehow more realistic indicator of school repetition .. it is just like feedback indicator .. more smart and talented students choose that school and since they are smart and talented it's more likely they will be successful later and the school will be more prestigious... most of 600+ gmat applicants got more than 1 offer of admission then they make the trade off and choose 1 offer ... so average GMAT score is somehow like public vote which school is better.

other thing about Ranking, there is not no 1 and no 2 etc ... there is top 5 and then 6th to 10th and so on ... differences between school are too small and it's right to give a school rank no 1 while no 5 isn't that bad they are all close

Originally posted by merokoli on 24 Apr 2016, 08:14.
Last edited by merokoli on 28 Apr 2016, 04:02, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Send PM
aashishmalhotra02 wrote:
Hi durahamter,

I can see that the file you've attached is out of the FT 2012. And it is comparing the McMaster FT with the Alberta FT.
Any idea on what is the average-post-mba salary for a co-op graduate from mac?

I can't seem to find anything for the same on the internet. :x

I think this is what you are looking for?
https://cpd.degroote.mcmaster.ca/files/2 ... f-2014.pdf
Don't think they released the same for 2015.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: DeGroote (A$)
Send PM
Thank you for your reply Durahamter.

durahamter wrote:
Hello to you all,

Thank you for your comments merokoli, I’m really glad that we could provide you with enough insight and knowledge for your application process in DeGroote.

I will provide additional information to complete Vijay statement.

Sauder and John Molson are really great schools, once more, I can’t really say which school is the best, most business magazines, news, social media, and if not bystanders, tend to place Rotman, Sauder and McGill as the top schools in Canada. Rotman and McGill do have well renowned brand names in the international business community, especially if you want to pursue a finance career. You do have a great GMAT, more than enough to apply for the top schools around the world, I’m confident you will be successful whether the path you trace yourself.

The acceptance rate for the DeGroote School of Business is 42% according to a study of the National Post. Alberta is 27%, McGill is 32%, Sauder is also 42%. I have no info about Rotman, but it also should be around the Alberta and the McGill range. This study is done back at 2012, but I think that the range has remained somewhat the same until today.

I going to attach a pdf in which you can find the information that I’m supplying you, you can also find information regarding post MBA salaries, among others. I recommend you seeing Canadian business magazine and Macclean’s for additional information regarding programs and rankings.

If you can see the 2014 DeGroote MBA brochure, post MBA average starting salary ranges around $68,350. In the national post, DeGroote MBA average starting salary ranges around $66,389, so at least regarding the salary, the numbers are somewhat similar. Alberta and Sauder have higher starting salaries. McGill has a notable starting average salary of $112,000. Usually top tier No 1 schools have starting salaries above $100k. But in the end this is all statistics.

Hello aashishmalhotra02, I’m glad that you both have obtained an offer to DeGroote co-op. This is the first time I heard that a couple are both joining an MBA program. I’m guessing that the experience will be quite unique during the program for both of you.

Hello indierohit, I just found out that you also got into McGill. I’m guessing that your choice was really hard to make. I was going to say that McGill kind of have a co-op for their FT students, they called it “internship”, but is pretty much the same thing if you look into it (I really hope that I'm not mistaken).

Hello prateek720, try to scan through this thread that we have given more than enough advice to tackle the video interview. The questions are totally random, mostly behavioral questions, time yourself using a video cam, and try to write down your most memorable experiences (especially work related) while practicing. Don’t forget to dress nicely. The questions are aimed to know you a bit better, there is no perfect response, try to answer specifically what they are asking you to respond. It will take you at most 15 to 30 min to complete. If you are an international applicant, don’t worry if you make some mistakes, DeGroote is aware that English is not your first language and mistakes are common. Best of all luck.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi..Can anyone add to me to the https://gmatclub.com/chat group for McMaster FT MBA
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
ask indierohit to add you in group. also write your phone number, i will ask him to add you in group.

mtrocks7 wrote:
Hi..Can anyone add to me to the https://gmatclub.com/chat group for McMaster FT MBA
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
yes most of the info is about co-op you are right.facebook group for mba admits has become active. i guess the best place you can learn about FT mba is from the facebook group.
yes there is group for MBA admits,ask indierohit to add you.write your number here,i will ask him to add you in group.

rakaisraka wrote:
Hi All, is there anyone in this group who is going to join FT MBA? When I try to find about Degroote MBA all i get to know is Co-op. Im not sure about FT mba. Is there anyone is this group who can shed some light. I basically want to know about it employment stats.
Also, is there a https://gmatclub.com/chat group for FT MBA ?

Thanks
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts