Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 07:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Public Health Official : After several years of vaccinating

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 388

Kudos [?]: 1535 [3] , given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Public Health Official : After several years of vaccinating [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2013, 11:34
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (medium)

Question Stats:

33% (02:50) correct 66% (01:57) wrong based on 158 sessions
Public Health Official: After several years of vaccinating all of the citizens of this state for Tacitus’ Disease, a highly infectious virus, state hospitals have cut costs by no longer administering this vaccine, starting at the beginning of this year. A state senator defended the position, arguing that after several years with zero incidence of the disease in the state, its citizens were no longer at risk. This is a flawed argument. Our state imports meats and produce from countries with high incidences of diseases for which our country has vaccines. Three years ago, when we reduced the use of the Salicetiococcus vaccines, a small outbreak of Salicetiococcus among young children, fortunately without fatalities, encouraged us to resume use of the vaccines at the previous levels.

The public health official’s statements, if true, best support which of the following as a conclusion?
(A) Young children of the state will be at risk for Tacitus’ Disease.
(B) Some of the meats imported to this state do not have adequate refrigeration during the shipping process.
(C) Tacitus’ Disease is a much deadlier disease than Salicetiococcus, and has a correspondingly higher fatality rate.
(D) No food products produced within the state bear any contaminants that could lead to either Tacitus’ Disease or Salicetiococcus.
(E) The cost of providing all citizens of the state with the Tacitus’ Disease vaccine places an undue burden on the budget of state health agencies.

One common GMAT CR question type is the "find the conclusion" or "find the inference" question. For a full discussion of this question type, as well as an explanation of this question, see:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-criti ... inference/

Mike :-)
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.9
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 57

Re: Public Health Official: After several years of vaccinating [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2013, 11:54
mikemcgarry wrote:
Public Health Official: After several years of vaccinating all of the citizens of this state for Tacitus’ Disease, a highly infectious virus, state hospitals have cut costs by no longer administering this vaccine, starting at the beginning of this year. A state senator defended the position, arguing that after several years with zero incidence of the disease in the state, its citizens were no longer at risk. This is a flawed argument. Our state imports meats and produce from countries with high incidences of diseases for which our country has vaccines. Three years ago, when we reduced the use of the Salicetiococcus vaccines, a small outbreak of Salicetiococcus among young children, fortunately without fatalities, encouraged us to resume use at the previous vaccines.

The public health official’s statements, if true, best support which of the following as a conclusion?
(A) Young children of the state will be at risk for Tacitus’ Disease.
(B) Some of the meats imported to this state do not have adequate refrigeration during the shipping process.
(C) Tacitus’ Disease is a much deadlier disease than Salicetiococcus, and has a correspondingly higher fatality rate.
(D) No food products produced within the state bear any contaminants that could lead to either Tacitus’ Disease or Salicetiococcus.
(E) The cost of providing all citizens of the state with the Tacitus’ Disease vaccine places an undue burden on the budget of state health agencies.

One common GMAT CR question type is the "find the conclusion" or "find the inference" question. For a full discussion of this question type, as well as an explanation of this question, see:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-criti ... inference/

Great question Mike! My only query is - Would this really be a 600-700 level question, or is it closer to a 700 & above kind of question? Your thoughts? Thank you again!

Regards,
Vishnu

Article --> http://www.topmba.com/blog/could-mba-de ... ay-forward

Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 1535 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: Public Health Official: After several years of vaccinating [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2013, 12:19
Expert's post
vishnuns39620 wrote:
Great question Mike! My only query is - Would this really be a 600-700 level question, or is it closer to a 700 & above kind of question? Your thoughts? Thank you again!

Dear vishnuns39620,
To be honest, one of the hardest things for me to estimate is the difficulty level of a question I write. Once I write a question, the solution is obvious to me, so that makes it relatively hard to determine its objective difficulty. When we enter questions such as this into the Magoosh product, the computer tallies the cumulative results, and over time that's how we determine the difficulty level of a question, similar to the way GMAC determines difficulty through releasing experimental questions.
When I enter any question on GC, the system, by default, requires me to enter a difficulty level, so basically, I am just taking my best guess --- I often guess conservatively, the lower of two choices. I could see an argument for 600-700 level or for 700+ level. I would be very interested to hear what other users say about the difficulty of this question.

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.9
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 57

Re: Public Health Official: After several years of vaccinating [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2013, 12:28
Thank you Mike! That certainly helps clarify the situation! :-).

I'm equally curious as to what others have to say about the perceived difficulty of the above question.

Posted from my mobile device Image

Regards,
Vishnu

Article --> http://www.topmba.com/blog/could-mba-de ... ay-forward

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 41

Re: Public Health Official: After several years of vaccinating [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2013, 01:44
mikemcgarry wrote:
vishnuns39620 wrote:

Dear vishnuns39620,
To be honest, one of the hardest things for me to estimate is the difficulty level of a question I write. Once I write a question, the solution is obvious to me, so that makes it relatively hard to determine its objective difficulty. When we enter questions such as this into the Magoosh product, the computer tallies the cumulative results, and over time that's how we determine the difficulty level of a question, similar to the way GMAC determines difficulty through releasing experimental questions.
When I enter any question on GC, the system, by default, requires me to enter a difficulty level, so basically, I am just taking my best guess --- I often guess conservatively, the lower of two choices. I could see an argument for 600-700 level or for 700+ level. I would be very interested to hear what other users say about the difficulty of this question.

Hi Mike,

How can we be so sure that the disease will definitely arrive for young childrer.

The word "will" is very strong in option A.

Thanks,
Jai

MODULUS Concept ---> inequalities-158054.html#p1257636
HEXAGON Theory ---> hexagon-theory-tips-to-solve-any-heaxgon-question-158189.html#p1258308

1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 1535 [1] , given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: Public Health Official: After several years of vaccinating [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2013, 08:13
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
jaituteja wrote:
Hi Mike,

How can we be so sure that the disease will definitely arrive for young children. The word "will" is very strong in option A.

Thanks, Jai

Dear Jai,
I'm happy to respond. :-)
Public Health Official: After several years of vaccinating all of the citizens of this state for Tacitus’ Disease, a highly infectious virus, state hospitals have cut costs by no longer administering this vaccine, starting at the beginning of this year. A state senator defended the position, arguing that after several years with zero incidence of the disease in the state, its citizens were no longer at risk. This is a flawed argument. Our state imports meats and produce from countries with high incidences of diseases for which our country has vaccines. Three years ago, when we reduced the use of the Salicetiococcus vaccines, a small outbreak of Salicetiococcus among young children, fortunately without fatalities, encouraged us to resume use of the vaccines at the previous levels.

Yes, the word "will" is a strong word, but we absolutely know this to be the case. You see, we know that Tacitus’ Disease is "a highly infectious virus," which means people get it very easily. It appears that the only reason Tacitus’ Disease hasn't be active for years is that the entire population has been vaccinated. Keep in mind, people who are vaccinated can carry the virus, but they simply don't get sick from it. In all likelihood, the vast majority of members of this population are passive carriers of the virus, so in all likelihood, the virus is still present in the population. If the authorities stop the vaccinations, then the children born after that time will be without any protection against this highly infectious disease. We can't say for sure that the children will get the disease, but it would seem that the probability is very high. We can say for sure that they are at risk. Any time someone is exposed to any danger without sufficient protection, by definition, they are "at risk." Infectious disease, no vaccination --- that's "at risk."

Does all this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 35

CAT Tests
Re: Public Health Official : After several years of vaccinating [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2013, 00:33
Public Health Official:
CONCLUSION- This is a flawed argument that tacitus wont recur.....
PREMISE- Three years ago, when we reduced the use of the Salicetiococcus vaccines, a small outbreak of Salicetiococcus among young children, fortunately without fatalities, encouraged us to resume use of the vaccines at the previous levels. hence similar thing will happen to Tacitus.....

(A) Young children of the state will be at risk for Tacitus’ Disease. correct CONCLUSION.....
(B) Some of the meats imported to this state do not have adequate refrigeration during the shipping process. IRRELEVANT.
(C) Tacitus’ Disease is a much deadlier disease than Salicetiococcus, and has a correspondingly higher fatality rate. COMPARATIVE FATALITY RATE IRRELEVANT.
(D) No food products produced within the state bear any contaminants that could lead to either Tacitus’ Disease or Salicetiococcus. THATS OK... IT COULD COME THROUGH OTHER MEANS...INCORRECT
(E) The cost of providing all citizens of the state with the Tacitus’ Disease vaccine places an undue burden on the budget of state health agencies. BUDGET IS NOT THE KEY ISSUE BUT INCIDENCE OF THE DISEASE... INCORRECT....

KUDOS IF YOU PLEASE......
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: Wharton '17
GPA: 3.5
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 176

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Public Health Official: After several years of vaccinating [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2014, 12:20
mikemcgarry wrote:
vishnuns39620 wrote:

Dear vishnuns39620,

I don't know how GMAT ranks questions but I would say this looks sort of a sub 700 level.
Maybe close to 650.

I would say that there are other questions that are in the 700 range like the bold face or long stimulus, with difficult language and lots of relationships and stuff

Take it easy ok?

Cheers
J
Re: Public Health Official: After several years of vaccinating   [#permalink] 30 Jan 2014, 12:20