Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:20 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 334 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [0]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 928 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3
WE:Sales (Telecommunications)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1726 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Re: Sad ending to a journey [#permalink]
greatchap wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Man, I don't know how to begin. GMAT is a journey for some people, it starts and goes on and on. Then it ends either on a happy not or on a sad one. I guess the latter happened at my end. I have been a member of gmat club for quite sometime now, and have seen posts whereby people get 700+ at one go to people who end with with 500 on first or first few attempts but then hit the 700 mark (or close to that mark).

[My prep material included Kaplan 800, OG 11th ed, OG verbal guide, Few gmat club tests and some other tests and books.]

greatchap,

Sorry to hear that but:-

1. 700+ is not the only criterian that takes you to the top b-school.
2. Gmat is not everything and life doesnot end at gmat.

You can get into a top b-school with your current score if you have a convincing esseys, impressive work experience, and strong recommendations. People with 600+ are in top b-schools such as harvard, wharton, yale and others..

If you still want to realize a score above 700, never give up and work aggressively and minuetly. There are many post that are highly motivative to high gmat score aspirants on this forum.

In the meantime, I have noticed that you have only about 100+ posts on this forum. If you increase your level of participation to 1000+ posts, you will definitely increase your skills and ability in verbal/math.

Again never give up and work hard, practicing more and more.

All the best
Manager
Manager
Send PM
amolsk11 wrote:
Hello greatchap,

Sorry to hear about your low score.....hope you achieve the dream score next time.

Do you think it was just a bad day and you could perform better otherwise?
If yes , I think you should take Gmatprep once again(with AWA) and check the score this time.
If the score is within range of your target score (+/-20) , I believe you can / should cut down your study time to 45 days or so before you take the GMAT again.

If your score is in 550 range (early forties in Q and mid twenties in V). I think you need some severe help with the prep.
I am not sure about the gap before the next retake though.

You metioned that your GmatPrep score was 650. Did you take this test with AWA?
How many Gmatpreps / other tests did you take? How did you score on those?
Where is the test center ? I mean is in the same city or you traveled to some other city to take the test?

I have read your posts quite a few times and I really believe you can break the 700 mark.

I don;t think it was a bad day. Though I found the test to be harder than the ones I have given before but I think I need to prepare harder. I gave my GMAT Prep 3 times (every time without AWA). One test was few weeks before the test where I scored 600. Then another was in the middle and the last one was two days before the test and I got 650.

I knew SC was a dicey area for me but I didnt expect CR to be a problem as well. The CR in the actual GMAT was tough (or not that easy to say the least).

What surprised me more is my math score. In my first gmat exam I got 48 in math, second time i got 44 in math and now in this one early forties. I mean I was shocked. I dont know whats going on.

I am keen to restart my prep soon and I need help as to how should I go about it so that now when I go I am ready for a great score.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
GMAT TIGER wrote:
greatchap wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Man, I don't know how to begin. GMAT is a journey for some people, it starts and goes on and on. Then it ends either on a happy not or on a sad one. I guess the latter happened at my end. I have been a member of gmat club for quite sometime now, and have seen posts whereby people get 700+ at one go to people who end with with 500 on first or first few attempts but then hit the 700 mark (or close to that mark).

[My prep material included Kaplan 800, OG 11th ed, OG verbal guide, Few gmat club tests and some other tests and books.]

greatchap,

Sorry to hear that but:-

1. 700+ is not the only criterian that takes you to the top b-school.
2. Gmat is not everything and life doesnot end at gmat.

You can get into a top b-school with your current score if you have a convincing esseys, impressive work experience, and strong recommendations. People with 600+ are in top b-schools such as harvard, wharton, yale and others..

If you still want to realize a score above 700, never give up and work aggressively and minuetly. There are many post that are highly motivative to high gmat score aspirants on this forum.

In the meantime, I have noticed that you have only about 100+ posts on this forum. If you increase your level of participation to 1000+ posts, you will definitely increase your skills and ability in verbal/math.

Again never give up and work hard, practicing more and more.

All the best

Thanks GMATTiger for your encouraging words. I know that 700+ score isn;t everything. I am not just aiming for 700 or above. Even if i get close to that score, I know that I will be fine. But so far I have been stuck at 600 or lower. Inspite of giving so much time to GMAT, it still eludes me. Need some info on how to strengthen verbal and improve quant. Phew, its been a tough ride no doubt.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1726 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Kudos
greatchap wrote:
Thanks GMATTiger for your encouraging words. I know that 700+ score isn;t everything. I am not just aiming for 700 or above. Even if i get close to that score, I know that I will be fine. But so far I have been stuck at 600 or lower. Inspite of giving so much time to GMAT, it still eludes me. Need some info on how to strengthen verbal and improve quant. Phew, its been a tough ride no doubt.

In addition, changing your strategies could be useful.

PM me if you need any particular material.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I guess I need the right way or strategy for studying. Specially in verbal, I am really down in that area. :?: :arrow: :!:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: GM
Schools:Ross PT
WE 1: Operations Management
WE 2: Project Management
WE 3: Project Engineer
Send PM
Keep working hard man.

I would suggest the Manhattan GMAT Book series - I think they're excellent. Maybe the course would be beneficial for you as well.

Good luck.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Hi there,

I am sure you would have heard/read about this, but I would like to re-iterate the following

• GMAT Verbal, or rather GMAT English, is slightly (strongly) different from the spoken/written English that we are so used to.
• Sentence correction is not about finding the perfect sentence but about spotting the least ambiguous one amongst the 5 choices.
• If you happen to guess answer to one question, try to work-out the subsequent one. The point is to avoid getting too many consecutive questions incorrect.
• Try to eliminate the answer choices.
• Try to work backwards from the answer choices (in Quants)
• Do not give up. (I have 6 test scores on my final score-card!!!)

All the best
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks guys for your encouragement. I think I will restart soon from scratch. Verbal has been a big area of concern as I am not even able to reach the thirties.

Manhattan course is not available in my area but which manhattan books do you guys recommend apart from SC.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 406 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 2: 760  Q50  V42
Send PM
I feel only SC book is good for verbal.
RC is something that comes with practice. I dont think you need book for RC although you do need to know the type of questions.

And greatchap you gonna do just fine, just have patience.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
hemantsood wrote:
I feel only SC book is good for verbal.
RC is something that comes with practice. I dont think you need book for RC although you do need to know the type of questions.

And greatchap you gonna do just fine, just have patience.

I have gone thru SC so many times (Mahhattan SC) etc. But still I struggle in that area.
RC is not that big a problem for me now as it was before. CR was surprising tough in the eXam. Kinda in a fix.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts