It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 13:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sad ending to a journey

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 12

Sad ending to a journey [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2009, 02:42
Hello Everyone,

Man, I don't know how to begin. GMAT is a journey for some people, it starts and goes on and on. Then it ends either on a happy not or on a sad one. I guess the latter happened at my end. I have been a member of gmat club for quite sometime now, and have seen posts whereby people get 700+ at one go to people who end with with 500 on first or first few attempts but then hit the 700 mark (or close to that mark).

I also always dreamed of touching the 700 mark and was at one point of time confident that I could do so. I am not an engineer or so, thus my math skills are average. My decision to study GMAT started in 2007, when I was working full time, I thought it won't be a bad idea if I start brushing up my math skills. I knew a math tutor and I used to visit him periodically and then my journey to get my dream score commenced.

By fall 2007 I thought that I could take a break for a month or so and put my full effort and give GMAT. But due to work pressure I didnt do that. It was not until March 2008 when I decided to change work so I took few months off and started my prep. In the middle stage I didnt put as much effort as I should have done (my output for the day used to be low) but nevertheless I continued my efforts. In june-july 2008, I gave my first gmat exam. I was not worried as I thought I will need to give it again as I have worked for math but not too much for english. I gave the exam and scored 600 (Q48, V25). Well belive it or not, I was happy to see my score. I thought wow I am getting results for math and now I will work hard for english. I got back to work, but was studying english now and revised my math from time to time. I gave the exam in Sep early. Going with tension and a heavy head (becoz of worry) I made a mess of the exam. My score was lower than before and I scored in mid forties in math and a little less than twenty five in verbal. I was devasted and was upset for sometime. I couldn't concentrate properly in verbal as I thought math didnt go great. I thought I would give the exam when I feel I am ready to get a good score.

I started to study seriously again in May and worked and studied together. In weekends I gave more time and my prep seemed go in the right track. I went thru english material again, SC (manhattan sc) and other notes (spidy etc) and CR, RC from OG. In RC i improved myself a lot by reading the passage slowly. In math I started to focus on Geometry as I used to hate that area, and work on my fundamentals in various areas. I gave gmatprep by end of may and got 590. I thought I needed more time and kept on studying. I gave my gmatprep two days before my exam in june and got 650 (Q47 V32). I had taken a gmat date and decided to go ahead. I gave my gmat (just a few days ago) and well (as expected or not, I dunno) scored badly. Quant score in early forties and verbal score in mid twenties.

I found Quant to be tougher than my previous exams but I never felt I was doing that badly to get score in early forties. And in verbal I found CR and SC (a bit) to be tough. I thought CR ques were tricky and I wasnt sure how I was doing. I thought in SC things were going fine but considering the score they may not be. RC (an area that used to worry me) went fine (that what I feel).

Now here we are, GMAT score, not going up at all. Now doing even average and feeling that am I cursed or what. Is it my fate that GMAT will not go well. I mean what should I do.

Should I take a break, I am not in a hurry to apply to B-schools (and won't be doing it this year for sure). Should I start my prep again from scratch and slow slow with work, go ahead one step at a time. Then when I feel ready, give another attempt.

I mean why is this happening to me. I am not that bad in english. I know english is not my first language, but I have been studying it since nursery.

What should I do ? If I decide to re-start my prep soon then how should I study so that I become confident in both areas (Q & V). More in verbal because my gmat verbal score never crossed mid twenties.

I have done several posts in this forum and am thankful to everywho who has helped me either by answering my ques in specific areas or by encouraging me.

Please tell me what to do ? How to improve drastically in verbal section and be ready for test again so that this time I am confident that no matter what, my lowest score should not be below 700.

Thank You very much people for reading this long post.

God bless you,

Good luck,

Cheers,
GR

[My prep material included Kaplan 800, OG 11th ed, OG verbal guide, Few gmat club tests and some other tests and books.]

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount Codese-GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Forum Moderator
Status: Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund

Kudos [?]: 916 [0], given: 234

Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Sad ending to a journey [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2009, 03:48
Hi greatchap,

Looks like you're in the same boat I was in when I started (around the same time too, summer/fall 2007). I was scoring very inconsistently on the practice exams, and my actual test score fell between my best and my worst practice scores.

It looks like you have some of the right study patterns. That being said, I suggest the following:

Manhattan GMAT (MGMAT) offers a free practice exam. I REALLY like MGMAT's practice exam because:

MGMAT ranks the difficulty of each problem
MGMAT gives a breakdown of the problem type (SC, RC, Geo, # properties, etc.)
MGMAT provides a detailed explanation when your reviewing the results.

http://www.manhattangmat.com/StoreItemS ... ItemID=158

Use the results from the MGMAT practice to set your game plan. (I found) Having a proper game plan is KEY to effective studying. Before I made a game plane, I would study different topics for HOURS and see little to no benefit. To break out of that, I figured out what my major weaknesses were (SC, rules for geometry, some topics under number properties), and worked my way through my weaknesses. Aside from simply studying the content, I needed to understand why my approach to some problems was flawed. Once I (partially) corrected my approach, I began scoring consistently on practice exams (consistently better :) ). I did hit a ceiling with my practice exam scores (670 once, 660 once, 680 three times in a row), I know I still have room to improve.

Hope this helps,

Muhamad

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 916 [0], given: 234

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 233 [1], given: 16

Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2009, 04:05
This post received
KUDOS
Hello greatchap,

Sorry to hear about your low score.....hope you achieve the dream score next time.

Do you think it was just a bad day and you could perform better otherwise?
If yes , I think you should take Gmatprep once again(with AWA) and check the score this time.
If the score is within range of your target score (+/-20) , I believe you can / should cut down your study time to 45 days or so before you take the GMAT again.

If your score is in 550 range (early forties in Q and mid twenties in V). I think you need some severe help with the prep.
I am not sure about the gap before the next retake though.

You metioned that your GmatPrep score was 650. Did you take this test with AWA?
How many Gmatpreps / other tests did you take? How did you score on those?
Where is the test center ? I mean is in the same city or you traveled to some other city to take the test?

I have read your posts quite a few times and I really believe you can break the 700 mark.

Lahoosaher

Kudos [?]: 233 [1], given: 16

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 843 [0], given: 19

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2009, 21:58
greatchap wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Man, I don't know how to begin. GMAT is a journey for some people, it starts and goes on and on. Then it ends either on a happy not or on a sad one. I guess the latter happened at my end. I have been a member of gmat club for quite sometime now, and have seen posts whereby people get 700+ at one go to people who end with with 500 on first or first few attempts but then hit the 700 mark (or close to that mark).

[My prep material included Kaplan 800, OG 11th ed, OG verbal guide, Few gmat club tests and some other tests and books.]

greatchap,

Sorry to hear that but:-

1. 700+ is not the only criterian that takes you to the top b-school.
2. Gmat is not everything and life doesnot end at gmat.

You can get into a top b-school with your current score if you have a convincing esseys, impressive work experience, and strong recommendations. People with 600+ are in top b-schools such as harvard, wharton, yale and others..

If you still want to realize a score above 700, never give up and work aggressively and minuetly. There are many post that are highly motivative to high gmat score aspirants on this forum.

In the meantime, I have noticed that you have only about 100+ posts on this forum. If you increase your level of participation to 1000+ posts, you will definitely increase your skills and ability in verbal/math.

Again never give up and work hard, practicing more and more.

All the best

Verbal: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: http://gmatclub.com/forum/everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

Kudos [?]: 843 [0], given: 19

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2009, 03:17
amolsk11 wrote:
Hello greatchap,

Sorry to hear about your low score.....hope you achieve the dream score next time.

Do you think it was just a bad day and you could perform better otherwise?
If yes , I think you should take Gmatprep once again(with AWA) and check the score this time.
If the score is within range of your target score (+/-20) , I believe you can / should cut down your study time to 45 days or so before you take the GMAT again.

If your score is in 550 range (early forties in Q and mid twenties in V). I think you need some severe help with the prep.
I am not sure about the gap before the next retake though.

You metioned that your GmatPrep score was 650. Did you take this test with AWA?
How many Gmatpreps / other tests did you take? How did you score on those?
Where is the test center ? I mean is in the same city or you traveled to some other city to take the test?

I have read your posts quite a few times and I really believe you can break the 700 mark.

I don;t think it was a bad day. Though I found the test to be harder than the ones I have given before but I think I need to prepare harder. I gave my GMAT Prep 3 times (every time without AWA). One test was few weeks before the test where I scored 600. Then another was in the middle and the last one was two days before the test and I got 650.

I knew SC was a dicey area for me but I didnt expect CR to be a problem as well. The CR in the actual GMAT was tough (or not that easy to say the least).

What surprised me more is my math score. In my first gmat exam I got 48 in math, second time i got 44 in math and now in this one early forties. I mean I was shocked. I dont know whats going on.

I am keen to restart my prep soon and I need help as to how should I go about it so that now when I go I am ready for a great score.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2009, 12:49
GMAT TIGER wrote:
greatchap wrote:
Hello Everyone,

greatchap,

Sorry to hear that but:-

1. 700+ is not the only criterian that takes you to the top b-school.
2. Gmat is not everything and life doesnot end at gmat.

You can get into a top b-school with your current score if you have a convincing esseys, impressive work experience, and strong recommendations. People with 600+ are in top b-schools such as harvard, wharton, yale and others..

If you still want to realize a score above 700, never give up and work aggressively and minuetly. There are many post that are highly motivative to high gmat score aspirants on this forum.

In the meantime, I have noticed that you have only about 100+ posts on this forum. If you increase your level of participation to 1000+ posts, you will definitely increase your skills and ability in verbal/math.

Again never give up and work hard, practicing more and more.

All the best

Thanks GMATTiger for your encouraging words. I know that 700+ score isn;t everything. I am not just aiming for 700 or above. Even if i get close to that score, I know that I will be fine. But so far I have been stuck at 600 or lower. Inspite of giving so much time to GMAT, it still eludes me. Need some info on how to strengthen verbal and improve quant. Phew, its been a tough ride no doubt.

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 843 [1], given: 19

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2009, 19:17
This post received
KUDOS
greatchap wrote:
Thanks GMATTiger for your encouraging words. I know that 700+ score isn;t everything. I am not just aiming for 700 or above. Even if i get close to that score, I know that I will be fine. But so far I have been stuck at 600 or lower. Inspite of giving so much time to GMAT, it still eludes me. Need some info on how to strengthen verbal and improve quant. Phew, its been a tough ride no doubt.

In addition, changing your strategies could be useful.

PM me if you need any particular material.

Verbal: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: http://gmatclub.com/forum/everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

Kudos [?]: 843 [1], given: 19

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2009, 23:27
I guess I need the right way or strategy for studying. Specially in verbal, I am really down in that area. :?: :arrow: :!:

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Schools: Ross PT
WE 1: Operations Management
WE 2: Project Management
WE 3: Project Engineer

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2009, 19:17
Keep working hard man.

I would suggest the Manhattan GMAT Book series - I think they're excellent. Maybe the course would be beneficial for you as well.

Good luck.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2009, 07:23
Hi there,

I am sure you would have heard/read about this, but I would like to re-iterate the following

• GMAT Verbal, or rather GMAT English, is slightly (strongly) different from the spoken/written English that we are so used to.
• Sentence correction is not about finding the perfect sentence but about spotting the least ambiguous one amongst the 5 choices.
• If you happen to guess answer to one question, try to work-out the subsequent one. The point is to avoid getting too many consecutive questions incorrect.
• Try to eliminate the answer choices.
• Try to work backwards from the answer choices (in Quants)
• Do not give up. (I have 6 test scores on my final score-card!!!)

All the best

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2009, 00:21
Thanks guys for your encouragement. I think I will restart soon from scratch. Verbal has been a big area of concern as I am not even able to reach the thirties.

Manhattan course is not available in my area but which manhattan books do you guys recommend apart from SC.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2009, 13:39
I feel only SC book is good for verbal.
RC is something that comes with practice. I dont think you need book for RC although you do need to know the type of questions.

And greatchap you gonna do just fine, just have patience.

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2009, 00:10
hemantsood wrote:
I feel only SC book is good for verbal.
RC is something that comes with practice. I dont think you need book for RC although you do need to know the type of questions.

And greatchap you gonna do just fine, just have patience.

I have gone thru SC so many times (Mahhattan SC) etc. But still I struggle in that area.
RC is not that big a problem for me now as it was before. CR was surprising tough in the eXam. Kinda in a fix.

Re: Sad ending to a journey   [#permalink] 25 Jul 2009, 00:10

Sad ending to a journey

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: EMPOWERgmatRichC

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap