Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:56 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Statistics
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.63
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink]
nb2987 wrote:
Does anyone know what % of R2 applicants on this forum have been invited to Stanford?

From the graph on previous page and next reply 14 members got invited in R2 until now. From page 1 a total of 252 applied... so % will be ~6%
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
ILoseUGain wrote:
nb2987 wrote:
Does anyone know what % of R2 applicants on this forum have been invited to Stanford?

From the graph on previous page and next reply 14 members got invited in R2 until now. From page 1 a total of 252 applied... so % will be ~6%

Thanks. That seems a close representation of the actual acceptance rate :(. Well, Ill wait one more day.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
nb2987 wrote:
Thanks. That seems a close representation of the actual acceptance rate :(. Well, Ill wait one more day.

Why do you say that? Last year R2 had approx 13% invites!
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
havok wrote:
One more day? Yikes.

Technically until March 4th, right?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Glass half full! Glass half full!

Fingers crossed
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [5]
Given Kudos: 53
GRE 1: Q163 V170
GPA: 3.47
Send PM
Kudos
coolguy314159 wrote:
havok wrote:
One more day? Yikes.

Yes, and stop listening to the people freaking out over tomorrow being the last "real" day for invites. Stanford has said explicitly that they keep sending emails out until March 4th, and that is unambiguous. People are reading way too much-- and reading incorrectly, I might add-- a single line from an email from the GSB on January 10th. The line in question says, "We expect the majority of invitations to go out by 25 February."

Let's first look at the full context of what the GSB said:
3 February through 4 March 2014: Interview Invitations

During this period, we will extend invitations daily for interview via email. Interviews are by invitation only, and an interview is required for admission. We hope to interview between 800 and 1,000 applicants this application year.

No invitations will be sent before 3 February or after 4 March. We expect the majority of invitations to go out by 25 February. If you have not received an interview invitation by 4 March, you will not be interviewed in this round.

So, let's break this down. Key point: if you haven't heard by March 4th, you're not getting an invite. Look at how carefully they hedge their bets in the language about tomorrow's supposed "deadline" that forum members here are making up. They expect the majority to go out by tomorrow. Majority means 50% or more. Also, they say "expect." That leaves wide-open the possibility that they will hit "majority" invites after Feb. 25 and before March 4.

If you read this thread back to Saturday night, they sent out a batch of emails around 8pm Stanford (Pacific Standard) Time. On a weekend night. Now, what does that tell you? It says the AdCom is working odd/irregular/overtime hours, which suggests they may be backed up/running behind. Combine that with the unusually low number of interview/invitations to interview from this round compared with three years worth of data that I compiled and posted a few pages back and you will see that unless this is a particular brutal year for GMAT Club members, or people are not updating their statuses here, we can expect a fair number of invites between now and March 4th.

Why people insist that tomorrow is some sort of deadline when the GSB has clearly stated that it is NOT a deadline but a milestone, I have no idea. Do people enjoy obsessing over nothing? I prefer to obsess over facts, numbers, and data. And that tells me quite a few members here will be getting invites. Tomorrow is not a real deadline. And honestly, even if the majority go out by tomorrow, that leaves quite a few between now and the real deadline next Tuesday. Get it?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
j0yd1v1s10n wrote:
coolguy314159 wrote:
havok wrote:
One more day? Yikes.

Yes, and stop listening to the people freaking out over tomorrow being the last "real" day for invites. Stanford has said explicitly that they keep sending emails out until March 4th, and that is unambiguous. People are reading way too much-- and reading incorrectly, I might add-- a single line from an email from the GSB on January 10th. The line in question says, "We expect the majority of invitations to go out by 25 February."

Let's first look at the full context of what the GSB said:
3 February through 4 March 2014: Interview Invitations

During this period, we will extend invitations daily for interview via email. Interviews are by invitation only, and an interview is required for admission. We hope to interview between 800 and 1,000 applicants this application year.

No invitations will be sent before 3 February or after 4 March. We expect the majority of invitations to go out by 25 February. If you have not received an interview invitation by 4 March, you will not be interviewed in this round.

So, let's break this down. Key point: if you haven't heard by March 4th, you're not getting an invite. Look at how carefully they hedge their bets in the language about tomorrow's supposed "deadline" that forum members here are making up. They expect the majority to go out by tomorrow. Majority means 50% or more. Also, they say "expect." That leaves wide-open the possibility that they will hit "majority" invites after Feb. 25 and before March 4.

If you read this thread back to Saturday night, they sent out a batch of emails around 8pm Stanford (Pacific Standard) Time. On a weekend night. Now, what does that tell you? It says the AdCom is working odd/irregular/overtime hours, which suggests they may be backed up/running behind. Combine that with the unusually low number of interview/invitations to interview from this round compared with three years worth of data that I compiled and posted a few pages back and you will see that unless this is a particular brutal year for GMAT Club members, or people are not updating their statuses here, we can expect a fair number of invites between now and March 4th.

Why people insist that tomorrow is some sort of deadline when the GSB has clearly stated that it is NOT a deadline but a milestone, I have no idea. Do people enjoy obsessing over nothing? I prefer to obsess over facts, numbers, and data. And that tells me quite a few members here will be getting invites. Tomorrow is not a real deadline. And honestly, even if the majority go out by tomorrow, that leaves quite a few between now and the real deadline next Tuesday. Get it?

Great post!

Good luck everyone! Let's all try to relax a little until March 5th 12:01 AM PST. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
/

Originally posted by towski on 24 Feb 2014, 21:29.
Last edited by towski on 06 Nov 2014, 14:08, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
towski wrote:
j0yd1v1s10n wrote:

People said the exact same thing about the second decision date for HBS. Their admissions director said that "many" invites will go out on the first day and "some" on the second. The second day came, zero invites were sent, and everyone got dinged :) This happened in both rounds one and two.

While viewing tomorrow as Stanford's final deadline is pessimistic, there is some precedent to suggest that may be the case - or at least people have been conditioned to think that way based on experiences with other schools.

But they are ultimately different schools! With different adcoms....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
towski wrote:
People said the exact same thing about the second decision date for HBS. Their admissions director said that "many" invites will go out on the first day and "some" on the second. The second day came, zero invites were sent, and everyone got dinged :) This happened in both rounds one and two.

While viewing tomorrow as Stanford's final deadline is pessimistic, there is some precedent to suggest that may be the case - or at least people have been conditioned to think that way based on experiences with other schools.

Ok, and I'm SURE that Dee Leopold and her crew were sending invites out on a Saturday night at 8pm, just like the GSB did this past weekend. :lol: HBS is not the reference standard for all MBA admissions. Sure, they are a big deal and their pattern held. But since you have ZERO evidence for how Stanford does their notification and the ratio between the "majority" date and the actual notification day, you have no evidence. So you are making a correlation between HBS and Stanford without support. Fine, but it's without merit and falls completely flat as a claim.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [3]
Given Kudos: 22
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
Let's be optimistic folks!

Trying to do so, even not receiving an invitation by march 4th is not a killer situation, you may be waitlisted.

From GSB mail:
Remind me, what happens next?
You will receive an email from us on 4 March reminding you to log in to ApplyYourself for an update on the status of your application. At this stage, there will be three possibilities:

You have already been invited to interview, and will receive a final decision on 26 March. On 26 March you will find out if you will be admitted, denied, or offered a spot in the waitpool.
You were not selected for an interview, and your application is denied. This decision is final.
You are being offered a spot in the waitpool with the possibility of being invited to interview at a future date.

I also think we shouldn't compare GSB and HBS. Different adcoms work in a different way. Sloan worked completely the opposite to HSB in R1, they announced a date to release all the interview invitations and the kept sending invitations beyond that date -and some of the people receiving those invites got in
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I'm holding out hope that there is one big wave of invites which will go out later tonight and by the end of the day tomorrow. However irrational that may be and whatever the HBS pattern was. Stanford's all about dreaming big right? Damned if I don't dream then! Fingers crossed, butt cheeks firmly clenched. I gotta feeling. Make it happen Big Guy in the sky.

Good luck to all!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Thank you for the great rational analysis above.

I am also waiting to hear from Stanford with that elusive invitation. If I am honest, it would be the icing on the cake but I have definitely not pinned my hopes on Stanford.

The actual deadline of 4 March is also a welcome distraction from the stress of having to wait another four weeks to see if I have offers from other schools :)

Try to stay calm guys and wishing you all the best of luck!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.78
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
waiting is just so so hard...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.01
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
slee26 wrote:
waiting is just so so hard...

Hang in there!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
@ j0yd1v1s10n, coolguy314159

I disagree with you guys. I agree with the meaning of the terms "expect" and "majority" as you stated but I am inclined on taking the other meaning to it as towski implied. In the first case if those terms just mean a little more than 50% of the invites sent out, there is no reason for the adcom to state this deadline in particular and not others. Remember they explicitly stated "expect to send majority of invitations" and "invitations are spread out". If invitations are spread out, I don't think GSB needs to state the feb25th date. I don't expect them to be slackers like me just because they used the word "expect". They are a responsible adcom of a reputed university and they would have their plan pretty well cut. They might miss their expectation only if there are huge number of R2 applications in 2014 when compared to the number in 2013.
For me, not receiving an invite by today means that my probability of getting called to interview fell from 50% to <5%. These numbers are not calculated, just vague numbers to say that my chances greatly decreased. My probability for an interview will remain the same only if my application is still not read but when the expectation is to send majority of invites by today, it means that I have minority chances of my application to end up in the fewer applications still unread.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
ILoseUGain wrote:
@ j0yd1v1s10n, coolguy314159

If invitations are spread out, I don't think GSB needs to state the feb25th date. I don't expect them to be slackers like me just because they used the word "expect". They are a responsible adcom of a reputed university and they would have their plan pretty well cut. They might miss their expectation only if there are huge number of R2 applications in 2014 when compared to the number in 2013.

Sloan missed their own deadline multiple times, and I don't think you would suggest that MIT is not responsible or well-respected. You can't reasonably argue that they don't have flexibility and wiggle room in how their process goes.

Also, "slackers?" They were working on Saturday night sending invites around 8pm. Adcoms work on weird schedules and have a lot to do. If they were sending stuff out Saturday night at 8pm, your "well-cut" plan doesn't seem to hold up, does it?

ILoseUGain wrote:
For me, not receiving an invite by today means that my probability of getting called to interview fell from 50% to <5%. These numbers are not calculated, just vague numbers to say that my chances greatly decreased.

So you admit you are making those numbers up based on a feeling, and then claim that they are true. You have no idea what your chances of getting an invitation to interview. Approximately 13% of applicants have gotten invites based on GMAT Club historical data. Why do you think you are an outlier in that group and were at a 50% chance of getting an invite?

ILoseUGain wrote:
My probability for an interview will remain the same only if my application is still not read but when the expectation is to send majority of invites by today, it means that I have minority chances of my application to end up in the fewer applications still unread.

You are making assumptions left and right. How do you know if your application has not been read? They may have read it and plan to invite you for an interview and are working to match you with an alumnus in your area to conduct your interview, since that's how they do things. I know that my Sloan invite came out with a clear instruction about a day they were going to be in a hub city near me, and it was patently clear they sent out my invite in a batch with other people in my area. The GSB may be doing the exact same thing, but working hard to match you with an alumnus.

There is zero correlation with whether your app has been read, despite the fact that you say this as if it's a certainty.

ILoseUGain wrote:
In the first case if those terms just mean a little more than 50% of the invites sent out, there is no reason for the adcom to state this deadline in particular and not others. Remember they explicitly stated "expect to send majority of invitations" and "invitations are spread out".

This literally makes no sense. They say invites come out until March 4th. They say that OVER AND OVER again, FAR MORE OFTEN than they say anything about today's deadline. They also have said that there is no meaning to the timing of invites, and that one on March 3rd is the same as one on February 10th.

You obviously have your mind made up about what to believe, but you can't state things as fact that come from a) your anxiety/worry b) your "feelings" (as you stated above).
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  44   45   46   47   48   49   50  ...  63   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts