Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:00 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [39]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [5]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6811 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Schools:CBS, Kellogg
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 783 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: The bowerbirds of Australia derive their name from the fact [#permalink]
Kudos
Can someone disect answer choice D, and comment on why it is good or bad. I think D is fine as is.
B suggests that they derived their name from bowers, which is incorrect.

Is Having acting as an adjective describing "bowers" or is it a verb ?

d) the fact that the males build elaborate bowers of sticks and twigs, having decorated them with flowers and other vegetation, to attract females
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [2]
Send PM
Kudos

b) the elaborate bowers of sticks and twigs that the males build and decorate with flowers and other vegetation in order to attract females

e) the elaborate bowers of sticks and twigs that are built by the males and decorated with flowers and other vegetation to attract females

Boils down to B vs E but E uses passive voice. So I choose B.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4317 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
bsd_lover can you plz post OE.
I am stuck between B and C. Thanks
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
i am going with B too on this..

in A..the problem is "them" seems to modifying females..not the bowers..
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [3]
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
Kudos
saravalli wrote:

I think C is wrong..cause it implies as if the bowers are created by themselves and that the males only use flowers and vegetation to attract the females..

B is best..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4317 [0]
Send PM
fresinha12 wrote:
saravalli wrote:

I think C is wrong..cause it implies as if the bowers are created by themselves and that the males only use flowers and vegetation to attract the females..

B is best..

I am not able to decide to what does 'that' in B pointing to. (bowers or twigs) why?
Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Concentration: General Management , Strategy
 Q49  V41
Send PM
B seems best for me, C has a modifier error. It looks like flowers and vegetations is used to attract females, where as the twigs are used to attract them. Hence the meaning changes.

In D , bower birds dont derive their name from the "fact " . It is wordy...

In E , attract females in a display of courtship.. changes the meaning.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 908 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.7
WE:Account Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
IMO B. I thought it was E but it uses a passive voice that the GMAT does not prefer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
+1 B. Is this from the GMAT practice test ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 169 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
WE:Consulting (Telecommunications)
Send PM
the elaborate bowers of sticks and twigs that the males build and decorate with flowers and other vegetation.....

I am confused here, though I chose the right answer in the test(MGMAT), while reviewing it I am not convinced that this option is parallel, kindly explain if parallelism applies here?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
bsd_lover wrote:
The bowerbirds of Australia derive their name from the fact that the males build elaborate bowers of sticks and twigs to attract females, decorating them with flowers and other vegetation in a display of courtship.

a) the fact that the males build elaborate bowers of sticks and twigs to attract females, decorating them with flowers and other vegetation

b) the elaborate bowers of sticks and twigs that the males build and decorate with flowers and other vegetation in order to attract females

c) the elaborate bowers of sticks and twigs, decorated with flowers and other vegetation that the males use to attract females

d) the fact that the males build elaborate bowers of sticks and twigs, having decorated them with flowers and other vegetation, to attract females

e) the elaborate bowers of sticks and twigs that are built by the males and decorated with flowers and other vegetation to attract females

Cd somebody explain the question? I can't understand the OA?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 475 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT Date: 04-30-2015
Send PM
B) the elaborate bowers of sticks and twigs that the males build and decorate with flowers and other vegetation in order to attract females

I have no queries with regard to the question as clearly option B is the best of the lot.

I really hope if someone could help me with understanding this meaning error with respect to option B.

the elaborate bowers of sticks and twigs that the males build and decorate with flowers and other vegetation in order to attract females.

In the first read, i rejected this option primarily because i read it like Bold face and then the highlighted part which implies that the bowers and twigs males build and decorated.............with flowers and vegetation.
That changed the meaning for me.

I would be grateful, if someone could clear that out for me.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 407 [2]
Given Kudos: 111
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
GPA: 3
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos