GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Dec 2018, 00:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

December 13, 2018

December 13, 2018

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz, Tomorrow, Saturday at 9 AM PST

December 14, 2018

December 14, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

10 Questions will be posted on the forum and we will post a reply in this Topic with a link to each question. There are prizes for the winners.

The bowerbirds of Australia derive their name from the fact

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

CEO
CEO
The bowerbirds of Australia derive their name from the fact  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 26 Jun 2015, 10:08
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

59% (01:42) correct 41% (01:41) wrong based on 848 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The bowerbirds of Australia derive their name from the fact that the males build elaborate bowers of sticks and twigs to attract females, decorating them with flowers and other vegetation in a display of courtship.

a) the fact that the males build elaborate bowers of sticks and twigs to attract females, decorating them with flowers and other vegetation

b) the elaborate bowers of sticks and twigs that the males build and decorate with flowers and other vegetation in order to attract females

c) the elaborate bowers of sticks and twigs, decorated with flowers and other vegetation that the males use to attract females

d) the fact that the males build elaborate bowers of sticks and twigs, having decorated them with flowers and other vegetation, to attract females

e) the elaborate bowers of sticks and twigs that are built by the males and decorated with flowers and other vegetation to attract females

Originally posted by bsd_lover on 10 May 2008, 23:11.
Last edited by Harley1980 on 26 Jun 2015, 10:08, edited 1 time in total.
OA added
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Premium Member
Re: The bowerbirds of Australia derive their name from the fact  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2008, 23:44
bsd_lover wrote:
The bowerbirds of Australia derive their name from the fact that the males build elaborate bowers of sticks and twigs to attract females, decorating them with flowers and other vegetation in a display of courtship.

a) the fact that the males build elaborate bowers of sticks and twigs to attract females, decorating them with flowers and other vegetation

b) the elaborate bowers of sticks and twigs that the males build and decorate with flowers and other vegetation in order to attract females

c) the elaborate bowers of sticks and twigs, decorated with flowers and other vegetation that the males use to attract females

d) the fact that the males build elaborate bowers of sticks and twigs, having decorated them with flowers and other vegetation, to attract females

e) the elaborate bowers of sticks and twigs that are built by the males and decorated with flowers and other vegetation to attract females

C.
1. I have some sensitive feeling with "the fact that", so for me, A nd D out
2. The same feeling, I favor: use A to do B
3. B and E is awkward

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2008, 06:32
Can someone disect answer choice D, and comment on why it is good or bad. I think D is fine as is.
B suggests that they derived their name from bowers, which is incorrect.

Is Having acting as an adjective describing "bowers" or is it a verb ?

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2008, 07:01

Boils down to B vs E but E uses passive voice. So I choose B.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2008, 07:16
bsd_lover can you plz post OE.
I am stuck between B and C. Thanks
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2008, 07:16
i am going with B too on this..

in A..the problem is "them" seems to modifying females..not the bowers..
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2008, 07:17
saravalli wrote:

I think C is wrong..cause it implies as if the bowers are created by themselves and that the males only use flowers and vegetation to attract the females..

B is best..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2008, 07:34
fresinha12 wrote:
saravalli wrote:

I think C is wrong..cause it implies as if the bowers are created by themselves and that the males only use flowers and vegetation to attract the females..

B is best..

I am not able to decide to what does 'that' in B pointing to. (bowers or twigs) why?
Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2008, 08:52
B seems best for me, C has a modifier error. It looks like flowers and vegetations is used to attract females, where as the twigs are used to attract them. Hence the meaning changes.

In D , bower birds dont derive their name from the "fact " . It is wordy...

In E , attract females in a display of courtship.. changes the meaning.
CEO
CEO

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2008, 16:06
OA is B

The original sentence contains the pronoun "them" but it is not grammatically clear whether the pronoun's antecedent is "bowers of sticks and twigs" or "females." Logically, we know that the antecedent is "bowers", so we need to find a replacement that makes this clear. Moreover, the bowerbird does not derive its name from the fact that it builds bowers, but from the bowers themselves.

(A) This choice is incorrect as it is the same as the original sentence.

(B) CORRECT. This choice rewrites the sentence to make it clear that the name derives from the bowers and not from the fact of building them, and it also eliminates the pronoun "them" and instead refers to "structures" to make the relationship clear.

(C) This choice does not make it clear that the males build the bowers and decorate them. Instead, it seems to suggest that the bowers exist on their own and that the male uses only the flowers and vegetation to attract females.

(D) This choice uses the phrase "having decorated them" improperly. It is not necessary to use "having" in this context because the sentence describes an ongoing event, not one that occurred in the past.

(E) This choice is in the passive voice, which is not preferable to active voice when a grammatical active version (such as B) is also offered. Moreover, the choice implies that the males only build the bowers. Since the original sentence clearly indicates that the males also decorate the bowers, this choice changes the meaning unacceptably.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.7
WE: Account Management (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2012, 20:16
IMO B. I thought it was E but it uses a passive voice that the GMAT does not prefer.

DETERMINED TO BREAK 700!!!

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2012, 16:46
+1 B. Is this from the GMAT practice test ?
Manager
Manager
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2013, 07:12
the elaborate bowers of sticks and twigs that the males build and decorate with flowers and other vegetation.....

I am confused here, though I chose the right answer in the test(MGMAT), while reviewing it I am not convinced that this option is parallel, kindly explain if parallelism applies here?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2013, 03:17
bsd_lover wrote:

Cd somebody explain the question? I can't understand the OA?
Current Student
GMAT Date: 04-30-2015
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2014, 23:27
B) the elaborate bowers of sticks and twigs that the males build and decorate with flowers and other vegetation in order to attract females

I have no queries with regard to the question as clearly option B is the best of the lot.

I really hope if someone could help me with understanding this meaning error with respect to option B.

the elaborate bowers of sticks and twigs that the males build and decorate with flowers and other vegetation in order to attract females.

In the first read, i rejected this option primarily because i read it like Bold face and then the highlighted part which implies that the bowers and twigs males build and decorated.............with flowers and vegetation.
That changed the meaning for me.

I would be grateful, if someone could clear that out for me.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
Schools: Boston U '19 (D)
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
GPA: 3
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2014, 06:14

a) the fact that the males build elaborate bowers of sticks and twigs to attract females, decorating them with flowers and other vegetation – ‘Them’ is ambiguous here, it has no clear referent. Verb+ing modifier ‘Decorating’ is actually modifying preceding clause i. e. the fact that…….

b) the elaborate bowers of sticks and twigs that the males build and decorate with flowers and other vegetation in order to attract females – Concise, Parallel, and in-order-to is correctly placed.

c) the elaborate bowers of sticks and twigs, decorated with flowers and other vegetation that the males use to attract females – ‘That’ modifies vegetation and not bowers.

d) the fact that the males build elaborate bowers of sticks and twigs, having decorated them with flowers and other vegetation, to attract females – ‘Having’ makes a sentence passive and passive constructions are generally not desirable on GMAT. Also -ing are not favorite to GMAT.

e) the elaborate bowers of sticks and twigs that are built by the males and decorated with flowers and other vegetation to attract females – Passive construction. Who is doing ‘Decorating’ ?

Experts please correct or add if something wrong or missing.

Hard-work, Perseverance and Commitment.....

Intern
Intern
Schools: NUS '20

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2016, 12:14
Hello

I do not fully align with B here, though we cannot find a better option. The problem I see in B is the use of "That" which reflects back on sticks and twigs. Ideally it should be used in replacement for bowers.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

bsd_lover wrote:
OA is B

The original sentence contains the pronoun "them" but it is not grammatically clear whether the pronoun's antecedent is "bowers of sticks and twigs" or "females." Logically, we know that the antecedent is "bowers", so we need to find a replacement that makes this clear. Moreover, the bowerbird does not derive its name from the fact that it builds bowers, but from the bowers themselves.

(B) CORRECT. This choice rewrites the sentence to make it clear that the name derives from the bowers and not from the fact of building them, and it also eliminates the pronoun "them" and instead refers to "structures" to make the relationship clear.

(C) This choice does not make it clear that the males build the bowers and decorate them. Instead, it seems to suggest that the bowers exist on their own and that the male uses only the flowers and vegetation to attract females.

(D) This choice uses the phrase "having decorated them" improperly. It is not necessary to use "having" in this context because the sentence describes an ongoing event, not one that occurred in the past.

(E) This choice is in the passive voice, which is not preferable to active voice when a grammatical active version (such as B) is also offered. Moreover, the choice implies that the males only build the bowers. Since the original sentence clearly indicates that the males also decorate the bowers, this choice changes the meaning unacceptably.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2016, 17:44
rsaahil90 wrote:
Hello

I do not fully align with B here, though we cannot find a better option. The problem I see in B is the use of "That" which reflects back on sticks and twigs. Ideally it should be used in replacement for bowers.

bsd_lover wrote:

Here "THAT" acts as a relative pronoun. A pronoun can refer to NOUN PHRASE also.

Here "That" refers to "Bowers of sticks and twigs".

and "THAT" is acting as the object of the sentence.

"Male birds build and decorate bowers of sticks and twigs with flowers in order to attract female" -- this is the meaning here.

"THAT" can be a subordinate conjunction when two ideas can stand alone on its own. But here since we are talking about the prolonged idea ("THAT" act as an object here), "THAT" act as a relative pronoun in this example.
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2016, 03:09
rsaahil90 wrote:
Hello

bsd_lover wrote:
OA is B

The modifier touch rule may have some exceptions. One of the exceptions is that a mission critical prepositional phrase comes in between the modifier and the noun it modifies. This is such a case:

....bowers of sticks and twigs that.....: it would be very difficult to place the mission critical prepositional phrase of sticks and twigs somewhere else in the sentence - hence such usage is generally accepted.
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2016, 04:03
One can find a good explanation for the correct use of ‘that and which’ in EducationAisle’s book "Nirvana", which has a chapter on those pronouns.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

GMAT Club Bot
Re: The bowerbirds of Australia derive their name from the fact &nbs [#permalink] 11 Mar 2016, 04:03

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 30 posts ] 

The bowerbirds of Australia derive their name from the fact

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap