Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:58 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35491 [275]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [37]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1162 [37]
Given Kudos: 228
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.62
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7628 [20]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Re: Because property values sometimes fluctuate in response to economic co [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Top Contributor
Because property values sometimes fluctuate in response to economic conditions beyond the purchaser's control, an investment in a home may underperform when compared to that of other widely available classes of investments.

(A) an investment in a home may underperform when compared to that of other widely available classes of investments

Compared to “that of” other widely available classes of investments.
“That of” should refer to “investment”. In that case, it would read- an investment in a home may underperform when compared to the investment of other widely available classes of investments.- Now, we have a problem of redundancy! Eliminate.

(B) an investment in a home may underperform compared with other widely available classes of investments
Correct.

(C) an investment in a home may underperform when comparing it with other widely available classes of investments
- distorts the meaning of the sentence. Eliminate.

(D) compared to that of other widely available classes of investments, an investment in a home may underperform
Same as A. Eliminate.

(E) in comparison with that of other widely available classes of investments, an investment in a home may underperform
Same as A. Eliminate.

Vishnupriya
GMAT Verbal SME
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 745 [6]
Given Kudos: 108
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41 (Online)
Send PM
Re: Because property values sometimes fluctuate in response to economic co [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
generis wrote:
Because property values sometimes fluctuate in response to economic conditions beyond the purchaser's control, an investment in a home may underperform when compared to that of other widely available classes of investments.

A) an investment in a home may underperform when compared to that of other widely available classes of investments

B) an investment in a home may underperform compared with other widely available classes of investments

C) an investment in a home may underperform when comparing it with other widely available classes of investments
( underperform when comparing is making no logical sense)

D) compared to that of other widely available classes of investments, an investment in a home may underperform (verb-ed modifies nearest noun i.e., control. wrong)

E) in comparison with that of other widely available classes of investments, an investment in a home may underperform

SC71360.02

that in A,D,E have no logical referent.
C wrong for error mentioned ( underperform when comparing is making no logical sense).

B the best available.

Originally posted by itspC on 29 Apr 2020, 11:23.
Last edited by Bunuel on 08 Jun 2020, 03:05, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 461
Schools: ISB'22
WE:Corporate Finance (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Please explain the solution to this question.Why B is selected and A & D are eliminated?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [5]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
abhish27 wrote:
Please explain the solution to this question.Why B is selected and A & D are eliminated?

abhish27

A) an investment in a home may underperform when compared to that of other widely available classes of investments - WRONG. 'That of' makes the sentence as "...an investment in a home may underperform when compared to investment of other widely available classes of investments". Thus, its redundant.

B) an investment in a home may underperform compared with other widely available classes of investments - CORRECT. Two noun entities 'an investment' and 'classes of investments' are compared properly.

C) an investment in a home may underperform when comparing it with other widely available classes of investments - WRONG. Unidiomatic.

D) compared to that of other widely available classes of investments, an investment in a home may underperform - WRONG. A noun must follow after comma after control. 'That of' makes it redundant.

E) in comparison with that of other widely available classes of investments, an investment in a home may underperform - WRONG. Similar error as that made in option D.

Also, for understanding if we write the sentence as:
"An investment in a home may underperform compared with other widely available classes of investments because property values sometimes fluctuate in response to economic conditions beyond the purchaser's control."

Hope this helps..!!

Originally posted by unraveled on 03 May 2020, 02:47.
Last edited by unraveled on 15 Jul 2020, 21:07, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [7]
Given Kudos: 64
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
"Compared with" used for same type i.e. "Investment" here.
"compared to" used to compare two different kind.
So A,C and D is wrong.

Posted from my mobile device
McCombs School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 354 [4]
Given Kudos: 151
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks

When comparing similar objects, "compare with" is the correct idiom.

A) an investment in a home may underperform when compared to that of other widely available classes of investments -- idiom error

B) an investment in a home may underperform compared with other widely available classes of investments -- CORRECT idiom and comparison of "investment in a home" with "available classes of investments"

C) an investment in a home may underperform when comparing it with other widely available classes of investments -- "it" has ambiguous referents (investment or home); "comparing it" is also wrong since the subject doing the comparison is not given

D) compared to that of other widely available classes of investments, an investment in a home may underperform -- same as A

E) in comparison with that of other widely available classes of investments, an investment in a home may underperform -- wrong usage of "that of" which can be replaced with "investment of" and render the sentence illogical

Answer is B
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
generis wrote:

A) an investment in a home may underperform when compared to that of other widely available classes of investments

B) an investment in a home may underperform compared with other widely available classes of investments

C) an investment in a home may underperform when comparing it with other widely available classes of investments

D) compared to that of other widely available classes of investments, an investment in a home may underperform

E) in comparison with that of other widely available classes of investments, an investment in a home may underperform

SC71360.02

A. an investment in a home may underperform when compared to that of other widely available classes of investments. We have to be strict as to when we use 'when'. When has to refer to a specific time period

B. looks fine. Keep B

C. an investment in a home may underperform when comparing it with other widely available classes of investments. C has the same problem as option A does. Eliminate C

D. compared to that of other widely available classes of investments, an investment in a home may underperform. When we see 'that' we rephrase the sentence by putting the exact noun that 'that' is trying to replace. Here we have compared to 'investment' of other widely available classes of investment? This does not make any sense. Eliminate D

E. Option E has same problem as option D does. Eliminate E.

We are left with B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 218 [1]
Given Kudos: 191
Send PM
Kudos
PS, An Obvious thing : To improve yourself in SC, REVIEW every mistake in every answer choice after you attempt a problem.

Observing the SS - “Because property…..control” is a subordinate clause, the part after comma requires a main clause.

Whenever there is comparison, it is better to replace the “that” with the appropriate noun.
Here “when compared to the investment of other widely available classes of investments” – Doesn’t make sense. So Incorrect.

Best of ALL.

Meaning is of utmost importance.”…… may underperform when comparing it with…..” means what that it underperforms only WHEN we compare it, otherwise it doesn’t ?
Incorrect

D) compared to that of other widely available classes of investments, an investment in a home may underperform
Property value is being compared to “that of other widely available classes of”
Incorrect comparison and doesn’t make sense.

Property value is being compared to “that of other widely available classes of”
Incorrect comparison and doesn’t make sense.
INSEAD School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 945
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja,
Need to verify my understanding of the options. When i tried solving this question, i rejected all the choices. A,D and E because of 'that of' which causes redundancy and leads to illogical meaning when we replace that with 'an investment'.
I rejected B and C because they seem to be comparing an investment to other 'CLASSES of investments" rather than comparing an investment to a different investment.
Could you please help make sense of the options?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
(B) an investment in a home may underperform compared with other widely available classes of investments.

I don't understand the structure of sentence B.

what does "compared" modify? Thanks!
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Spicyagent wrote:
(B) an investment in a home may underperform compared with other widely available classes of investments.

Hello Spicyagent,

We hope this finds you well.

Having gone through the question and your query, we believe that we can help resolve your doubt. Option B takes the form of an independent clause, wherein the subject "investment in a home" is acted upon by the active verb phrase "may underperform"; the subject is then modified by the past participle phrase "compared with other widely available classes of investments"; this conveys that if compared with other widely available classes of investments, an investment in a home may underperform. Another way to construct this clause is "compared with other widely available classes of investments, an investment in a home may underperform"; this construction makes the modification clearer, but the construction of Option B is not incorrect.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 131
Send PM
Because property values sometimes fluctuate in response to economic co [#permalink]
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
Spicyagent wrote:

Hello Spicyagent,

Having gone through the question and your query, we believe that we can help resolve your doubt. Option B takes the form of an independent clause, wherein the subject "investment in a home" is acted upon by the active verb phrase "may underperform"; the subject is then modified by the past participle phrase "compared with other widely available classes of investments"; this conveys that if compared with other widely available classes of investments, an investment in a home may underperform. Another way to construct this clause is "compared with other widely available classes of investments, an investment in a home may underperform"; this construction makes the modification clearer, but the construction of Option B is not incorrect.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team

ExpertsGlobal5 GMATNinja AndrewN
I rejected (B) because there is no comma before V.ed modifier.
In GMAT, without comma, V.ing modifier will modify preceding noun.

However, in this case, V.ed is used, and the preceding is verb.
So, is V.ed without comma allowed to modify entire clause ?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [3]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
TorGmatGod wrote:
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
Spicyagent wrote:

Hello Spicyagent,

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team

Hello, TorGmatGod. I agree with the Experts' Global response above, as well as this earlier post by GMATNinja. I think you may be following your understanding of grammatical conventions too closely while overlooking the comparison. If I were to write two somewhat similar sentences with a one-word noun instead of a noun phrase as the subject, I think you would appreciate the point. Consider:

1) He runs faster than that other person.
2) He runs faster compared to that other person.

Is it absolutely necessary to place a comma before compared to in the second sentence? No. The comparison trigger between the two runners is understood. (Of course, if I were to see both sentences in a lineup, I would favor the first, but that is beside the point.) In fact, I would disfavor the comparison with a comma. Why? Because a comma would create an extra little pause, and in that short span of time, I would have a completely meaningless comparison. (Faster, but relative to what?) Without a comma, the pause is shorter, and I can anticipate that the second element of the comparison will follow immediately, just as it does above.

In the sentence about investments, one type of investment is being compared to another. Would you have the same trouble if (B) were rewritten with a different comparison trigger?

B.2) an investment in a home may perform worse than other widely available classes of investments

When you stop thinking about meaning, you will keep finding these so-called exceptions to the rules. Anyway, I hope my response proves helpful to you. Thank you for thinking to ask, and good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
TorGmatGod wrote:
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
Spicyagent wrote:

Hello Spicyagent,

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team

Hello TorGmatGod,

To answer your query, modifiers can absolutely act upon a noun or noun phrase without being offset by a comma. As AndrewN has written above, understanding the meaning of the sentence is often key to understanding the structure.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 298
Send PM
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
Spicyagent wrote:

Hello Spicyagent,

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team

Hey ExpertsGlobal5, do ed modifiers jump over verbs? For this question the structure looks like this: our noun phrase subject [invest in a home] + verb [may underperform] + verb-ed modifier [compared], and it appears that compared is jumping over our verb and modifying the nearest noun phrase. I think there was this e-gmat blog post saying ed modifiers do not jump over verbs. Any proper reference that I can use to learn how GMAT likes to use ed modifiers? What are the dos and dont's?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [3]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Vordhosbn

"Compared with" is working as an adverbial modifier for "underperform." It might be clearer if we replace "compared with" with "in relation to." HOW are investments in homes underperforming? They are underperforming in relation to other classes of investments. This makes it clear that they aren't underperforming compared with, say, previous performance or the predictions of investors.
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Vordhosbn wrote:
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
Spicyagent wrote:

Hello Spicyagent,

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team

Hey ExpertsGlobal5, do ed modifiers jump over verbs? For this question the structure looks like this: our noun phrase subject [invest in a home] + verb [may underperform] + verb-ed modifier [compared], and it appears that compared is jumping over our verb and modifying the nearest noun phrase. I think there was this e-gmat blog post saying ed modifiers do not jump over verbs. Any proper reference that I can use to learn how GMAT likes to use ed modifiers? What are the dos and dont's?

Hello Vordhosbn,

To answer your query, as DmitryFarber has written, another way to look at this is that "compared" acts as an adverb on "underperform", conveying that"an investment in a home" may seem to underperform if it is compared with other types of investments.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts