Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 07:20

Going on Right now:

Live Q&A Session with Cambridge Admissions Team   ||    Join Chat Room to Attend the Session

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 4

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 17:21
skm wrote:
aerien wrote:
I believe I did both college and after...

Posted from my mobile device Image

I only included post-college, but college was over 5 years ago for me so it seemed like it would be a stretch.

I included one collegiate example, and graduated over 5 years ago. I don't think it matters, in all honesty, so long as the participation was meaningful to you.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Yale '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.51
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 1

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 17:45
This post received
KUDOS
mpOracle wrote:
Finalizing my round 2 application. In the Activities/Professional Affiliations, the directions read:

List the most meaningful activities (up to five (5)) in which you participate or have participated from college to the present. For each activity, list the name of the organization and the position held (if any), the starting and ending dates of your involvement, the amount of time you have devoted to the activity, and a brief description (50 words maximum) of the nature of your involvement.

Does this mean I can include college activities or only activities SINCE college? Small detail, but curious of your interpretation.

Thanks!

What I did was list down all the activities/professional affiliations I have participated in SINCE college, and then afterwards picked from them the top 5 that helped support the overall package that I wanted to present to the admissions committee.

I don't think they have to be the most recent activities, but rather focus on the most meaningful ones (as stated in the application question). I think it's more important to show that you actually learned something from the experience and was able to apply it in the present.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.62
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 80

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 14:11
Hey All - I have some slots open for my info session in Raleigh on Monday. If there's anyone here from Raleigh-Durham, or with any friends from the area, feel free to head here to sign up. Love to see you there! I had a great time at the one in San Jose last week.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 18:44
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
OhDenny wrote:
Hey All - I have some slots open for my info session in Raleigh on Monday. If there's anyone here from Raleigh-Durham, or with any friends from the area, feel free to head here to sign up. Love to see you there! I had a great time at the one in San Jose last week.

I went to one of these when I was home for the holidays and it was a great way, as others have said, to get to know about SOM in a casual environment. I think one of the best ways to get to know if a school is a right fit for you (besides visiting campus, etc) is by speaking to as many students as you can. They can give you insights on their day-to-day life, their classes, what they like and dislike about their school -- and you can see if any of what they said resonated with you. I'd highly recommend going to one in the next few weeks if you can :)

And OhDenny, I'd tell my friends to go hang out with you in Raleigh, but everyone I know there goes to Duke :P

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 11

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2013, 17:10
Hey all, it's the last weekend before the application deadline and I'm barely halfway through my SOM essays! Having some trouble interpreting the second essay prompt "What will you contribute to the Yale SOM community, and how will being part of it help you extend your professional vision?" so was hoping to get people's input on this.

So initially I interpreted this as a two-part question - Why Yale? How do I add to the community (in terms of diversity, professional and personal experiences)?

For "Why Yale" part I was going to talk about the integrated curriculum, small class size, and parent university brand name/network. But now I am having second thoughts about whether talking about the curriculum itself is somewhat veering off-topic, given that the topic really asks for how you being part of "it" (referring to SOM community) helps your professional goals.

Am I reading too much into this? What do you think?
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 4

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2013, 19:11
I think you're on the right track overall, but talk about why those things will help you/are best for you. I definitely did alot of "Why Yale" in my essay, but each thing I mentioned somehow tied to my career goals. For the "what will you contribute" piece, that's a bit more straightforward. You certainly have to have done your research to answer this, but it seems like you know why you like Yale, just make sure why you like Yale also ties in with what you want to do with the rest of your life.
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2013, 01:57
"Why XXX school?" questions are really about your career goals and how the school can help you get there. It's a small community so they want to make sure you have a unique contribution.

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Current Student
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Duke '15 (M)
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 5

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2013, 11:16
Just submitted for round 2. In the end I think these are my best essays so far. Really enjoy the concept of the differentiated curriculum and look forward to hopefully receiving an interview invite. Good luck to everyone else applying.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2013, 06:13
anyone knows if Leon Metzger still teaches his hedge fund class at yale?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 11

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2013, 21:11
Thanks DHokie2 and machichi. Just submitted my application so the long wait begins for the interview decisions. Good luck to everyone who applied R2!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 04:15
Does anyone know what time is the deadline on January 8? Couldnt find on website. Thank you.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 12

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 04:54
starlight1 wrote:
Does anyone know what time is the deadline on January 8? Couldnt find on website. Thank you.

It was 17.00 EST for R1. I assume it's the same for R2. Good luck!!
Intern
Intern
Schools: Johnson '15 (WL)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 12:15
starlight1 wrote:

If you log into your application it says 5 PM est.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 107

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 08:54
Submitted for SOM! Last MBA application FOREVER :-D

Good luck R2ers!!!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 670 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 9

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 09:10
Can the recommendations come in a day or two later? My evaluators are in the same company and they've been super busy with their release and stuff.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 22

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 09:19
zirconium wrote:
Can the recommendations come in a day or two later? My evaluators are in the same company and they've been super busy with their release and stuff.

One of mine was sent in a day late and my application was not affected.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 670 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 9

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 09:32
skm wrote:
zirconium wrote:

One of mine was sent in a day late and my application was not affected.

Coming from an admitted student himself! thanks! :-D
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 22

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 09:33
zirconium wrote:

Coming from an admitted student himself! thanks! :-D

Or herself! :wink: Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 760 Q44 V51
GPA: 3.6
WE: Other (Other)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 3

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 13:42
good luck to all you Round 2 YSOM applicants.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm sitting here crashing on deadlines for summer internship applications :)

You guys are me 1 year ago, and I am you 1 year from now.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
WE: Law (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 38

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 15:01
Submitted right around the deadline... OK it's my mistake but I think I hit the submit button after 5 p.m. However since I was logged in the whole way the application system (and thus the application review pdf) says it's R2. Thoughts? :oops:
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 08 Jan 2013, 15:01