Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 18:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2011, 22:16
I bought this book and went through it when I was studying, and found it to be pretty helpful. I don't think I maximized it in the sense that my study of it was a little disjointed, however I still found myself grasping the topics much better at the higher levels. It will help you see through the layers that separate hard questions from 700 level questions. GMAT day my quant was bad - I got started off with a tough question and never really recovered, ended up with a 43, but I would still recommend this book.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
BSchool Thread Master
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 123

GMAT Tests User
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2011, 11:06
DevilDoggNC wrote:
@ Gablaze23

Different perspective post exam: I took the real GMAT a couple of days ago -- scored Q50. My overall score was 760 (Q 50, V 44). I was always pretty strong in the verbal section (LSAT prep years ago and I write reports and grant proposals). But quant really scared me -- I invested a lot of time in the advanced quant book mainly because my first manhattan CAT quant did not go all that well.

Now what I realized is this (post real gmat and gmat prep practice) -- the manhattan quant questions are a lot of fun if you like solving difficult math problems. But they are not representative of the real deal. The real gmat questions are very elegant -- in that -- they are not HARD -- they are just *brilliantly* tricky. Manhattan problems take a long time to solve -- they require a lot of work. But the real gmat questions have this tone about them -- its so unique. Most of the problems on the real gmat can be cracked with a proper technique and an analytical approach -- you don't need to use fancy formulas or solve complex expressions and equations.
I am very pleased with my Q50 -- but I don't think the manhattan advanced quant guide helped me much. The real GMAT questions are very subtle -- they are not over powering. The best guide you can use is the GMATPrep software. Keep resetting this software and do every problem (there are plenty of problems in both the bins) on there. I could hardly complete the Manhattan quant sections -- but I completed my real gmat quant exam with 8 minutes to spare.

I am so impressed with the way the real gmat math people conjure up these simple yet elegant problems -- not overpowering but subtle. The manhattan advanced book does not mimic this tone.

Congratulations. What was your first MGMAT CAT quant score by the way? I am just curious.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2011, 13:49
Thanks for the review bb. I've ordered this book from amazon, I'll post my thoughts after I go through it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UNC Duke Kellogg
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2011, 14:40
I had 690 on the first MGMAT CAT. I think it was 43 or 44 in Q.

gablaze23 wrote:

Congratulations. What was your first MGMAT CAT quant score by the way? I am just curious.
BSchool Thread Master
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 123

GMAT Tests User
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2011, 16:07
DevilDoggNC wrote:

gablaze23 wrote:

I am getting a flat grade of Q43 in my MGMAT too. I have taken 3 tests so far, Q45, Q43 and another Q43.

You said you would rather work with OG materials bec their style of questions are more elegant and whatnot, but do you think Manhattan GMAT materials prepare you in Math so much so that the actual GMAT will feel easier? Lol. I want to know whether in your opinion, I should still finish the Advanced Quant problem sets, which is another 150 numbers. Or should I just re-do my OG?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2011, 16:21
It's very hard to say -- I would hate to lead you down the wrong road.

And what worked for me, or even my opinion on this subject -- might be completely wrong.

The 150 problems are challenging and will help you build your analytical and quant skills -- no doubt about it.

But if you were hard pressed for time (as I was) -- I am not convinced that those hard 150 problems are going to help you the most when it comes to scoring. The GMAT prep problems -- I did only those the last 3 weeks and re-set the software and got several new questions on multiple attempts. Those were the most representative of the real stuff.

It all depends on how much time you have. If time is not an issue -- I would say working through the 150 problems in MGMAT Advanced guide will help you get better. The MGMAT explanations are pretty good too.

But if your test is in 2 or 3 weeks -- don't ignore the GMAT Prep or leave it till the last couple of days (people make this mistake thinking its only 2 tests and not realizing that each test bin has a question bank). GMAT Prep and the last 100 problems in PS and DS sections of the OG beat the rest of the materials out there (in my humble opinion).

gablaze23 wrote:
DevilDoggNC wrote:

gablaze23 wrote:

I am getting a flat grade of Q43 in my MGMAT too. I have taken 3 tests so far, Q45, Q43 and another Q43.

You said you would rather work with OG materials bec their style of questions are more elegant and whatnot, but do you think Manhattan GMAT materials prepare you in Math so much so that the actual GMAT will feel easier? Lol. I want to know whether in your opinion, I should still finish the Advanced Quant problem sets, which is another 150 numbers. Or should I just re-do my OG?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2011, 16:47
This will be a good subject to get some other points of view.

I am sure there are people on both camps who swear by their experiences. There is one school of thought that says that if you practice on really hard stuff -- then you will ace the easy stuff. I am not so sure about this though. If you practice on really hard stuff -- you might miss the subtlety and minor twists in relatively easier questions (something GMAC does).

It's important to get the easy / medium questions right and make sure you avoid silly mistakes -- this will ensure that you maximize your score. I'm sure there are others who feel differently about this strategy than I do.

For example, I see a number of people on this forum practice LSAT CR and RC questions. I know a bit about the LSAT and although I took it 10 years ago not much has changed on the exam. And most of the guys doing the LSAT CR questions aren't the ones scoring V46 and V48 -- trying to get V51. A lot of the guys doing the LSAT CR and RC questions are the ones scoring V31 and V32 -- hoping that practicing the *tough* stuff from the LSAT is going to improve their score. I would do the exact opposite -- work on fundamentals -- such as finding the conclusion of the argument and understanding the underlying logic -- improving critical reading skills etc.

gablaze23 wrote:

but do you think Manhattan GMAT materials prepare you in Math so much so that the actual GMAT will feel easier?

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2011, 22:02
Does the Advanced GMAT Quant Strategy Supplement (Paperback) come with online access.

I just received the delivery of this book purchase by flipkart.com, India, but it did not have the online access code. Now when i spoke to flipkart, they say that the book may not come with an online access. Is that the case? Please let me know.

Regards,
Asher

Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2011, 22:07
I am going to begin this book this weekend. Hope I learn lots of things and my strategies get better.

Asher wrote:
Does the Advanced GMAT Quant Strategy Supplement (Paperback) come with online access.

I just received the delivery of this book purchase by flipkart.com, India, but it did not have the online access code. Now when i spoke to flipkart, they say that the book may not come with an online access. Is that the case? Please let me know.

No the book does not comes with online access. Only basic 8 guides of Manhattan come with access to tests, the supplement guides do not.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2011, 02:55
Quote:
I am going to begin this book this weekend. Hope I learn lots of things and my strategies get better.

All the best :)

Quote:
No the book does not comes with online access. Only basic 8 guides of Manhattan come with access to tests, the supplement guides do not.

Thanks Aj85. just have one more query

What about online access to practice question and bonus drill sets (that is besides the tests) ?

Regards,
Asher

1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Online Marketing Associate
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 55 [1] , given: 7

Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2011, 06:47
This post received
KUDOS
Asher wrote:
What about online access to practice question and bonus drill sets (that is besides the tests) ?

Asher,

The Advanced GMAT Quant Strategy Guide does not come with access to the 6 Computer Adaptive Tests but it does come with Advanced Quant Practice Questions and an Advanced Quant Bonus Drill Set. See more here: http://www.manhattangmat.com/storeitems ... 0&catid=10

Best,
Matt Mapplebeck
Student Services Associate
Manhattan GMAT

Matt Mapplebeck | Manhattan GMAT Online Marketing Associate | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2011, 01:37
This post received
KUDOS
mmapplebeck wrote:
Asher wrote:

Asher,

The Advanced GMAT Quant Strategy Guide does not come with access to the 6 Computer Adaptive Tests but it does come with Advanced Quant Practice Questions and an Advanced Quant Bonus Drill Set. See more here: http://www.manhattangmat.com/storeitems ... 0&catid=10

Best,
Matt Mapplebeck
Student Services Associate
Manhattan GMAT

Thanks Matt.

I wrote to books@manhattangmat.com about the issue, and was granted access to the online material. :-D

Regards,
Asher

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 6

Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2012, 05:54
Thanks everyone for the inputs. Just to share my experience on this book I performed surprisingly poor in DS and I went through the chapter on DS and it significantly improved my score. I guess possible reason is I was handling DS questions incorrectly although basics were right. So I found this book really useful.
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 317 [0], given: 190

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2012, 00:49
DevilDoggNC wrote:
This will be a good subject to get some other points of view.

I am sure there are people on both camps who swear by their experiences. There is one school of thought that says that if you practice on really hard stuff -- then you will ace the easy stuff. I am not so sure about this though. If you practice on really hard stuff -- you might miss the subtlety and minor twists in relatively easier questions (something GMAC does).

It's important to get the easy / medium questions right and make sure you avoid silly mistakes -- this will ensure that you maximize your score. I'm sure there are others who feel differently about this strategy than I do.

For example, I see a number of people on this forum practice LSAT CR and RC questions. I know a bit about the LSAT and although I took it 10 years ago not much has changed on the exam. And most of the guys doing the LSAT CR questions aren't the ones scoring V46 and V48 -- trying to get V51. A lot of the guys doing the LSAT CR and RC questions are the ones scoring V31 and V32 -- hoping that practicing the *tough* stuff from the LSAT is going to improve their score. I would do the exact opposite -- work on fundamentals -- such as finding the conclusion of the argument and understanding the underlying logic -- improving critical reading skills etc.

Awesome advice

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: UCSD (D)
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 2.99

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2012, 13:54
That is some really good advice.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Analyst (Other)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 37

Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2012, 14:05
I took a diagnostic and got Q39 (and V39). I've been re-learning all the basics that I had forgotten, and am quickly approaching that glass ceiling (just got a Q42 on a practice test after making some silly mistakes). What are my options for breaking through the glass ceiling to eventually reach Q50? I have more than enough time. What are the alternatives to purchasing and using this book in conjunction with, say, GMAT Club tests?
1 KUDOS received
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 317 [1] , given: 190

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2012, 00:54
This post received
KUDOS
The key to reaching Q48-49 is to
a.) improve accuracy/timing on DS problems
b.) get a good handle on the frequently tested topics - again to improve timing.

GMATClub tests are very good for this purpose - after 10 or so tests you would see your score crossing Q45 and possibly Q47+.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink] New post 25 May 2012, 23:51
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the great advice and reviews. I gave the GMAT on 23rd May and score a 710 (Q49,V38) . I am planning to retake the GMAT in hopes of improving in both sections.Actually i ran out of time in both sections and had to guess in the last 2-3 questions.I will be ordering this book from flipkart and will see if i can improve on my Quant performance.

Cheers
G2

A RollerCoaster to 710
a-rollercoaster-to-134589.html

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.88
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 75 [1] , given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 06:20
This post received
KUDOS
Nice review. This is a great book for anyone needing extra help to boost the quantitative section especially those that have their basics right but make mistakes with the tougher questions... It is the absolute best source for DS strategy, which i guess is the most problematic area for most test takers. Not sure whether the two minute per question rule applies to the sets provided in the section but I couldnt finish a lot of the questions within 2 minutes, and without the 2 minute limit i could only manage 65%-70% accuracy.. Overall i find the real value of this book , and the questions associated with it (the sets) in GOING OVER THE SOLUTIONS and solving them after reviewing them in detail.. Great to boost confidence...

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 16:03
Great review! made my decision to purchase it very easy. I was stuck at around Q42-Q43 for the longest time, and this book takes a lot of the credit for moving me out of that score-range, to a Q50 on gmat day. It teaches you to recognize the traps the quant section is trying to throw at you. While it is hard for any book to test efficiently for tricks and traps after explaining to you every trick and trap for the previous 100 pages, it does a good job of laying bare the types of questions that could be asked at the highest level.

The 150 questions at the end of the book are very very difficult, harder than mostly anything you might see on the gmat, and great practice.
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT   [#permalink] 13 Feb 2013, 16:03