GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 16 Feb 2020, 23:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2010
Posts: 155
Schools: UNC Duke Kellogg
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 20 Jul 2011, 02:14
gablaze23 wrote:
DevilDoggNC wrote:
Just got done with this book! -- wow! This is a terrific book to say the least. The problems and the explanations were first rate.

The problems are challenging but fair -- every problem in the book can be cracked under 2mins with the right strategy -- even the difficult DS problems with inequalities and absolute values!

The book emphasizes the need to pay close attention to details.

Here is an example of a seemingly harmless looking Geometry DS problem:

ABC is an isosceles triangle. What is the perimeter of ABC.

1) Segment AB = 11
2) Segment BC = 5

------------------------------
Now the advanced test taker might look at this problem and quickly realize that even though we have two sides -- we have no idea which side makes up the "isosceles" triangle. The perimeter could be 11+11+5 OR 5 + 5 + 11. So option E makes sense right?...

Not so fast...there is another trick -- a 11-5-5 triangle violates the "sum of any two sides of a triangle is greater than the 3rd side"....so there is only ONE isosceles triangle that can be formed with the given lengths -- 11-11-5 Triangle. Option C is correct!

I think this is a brilliantly conjured up problem --simple yet a bit tricky -- and of course there are many many more such problems in the book.


Awesome post. I am currently at Q45 right now. I stopped Math for a month and studied Verbal for 2 weeks. I am about to go back to math and start this book on Saturday.

Where were you before the advanced book and where are you now? They said it can raise your score from 70th percentile to 90th percentile. What do you think about that? And how many hours or better yet, hours per day did it take you to finish this book?



I think it will definitely be worth your while to spend some quality time on this book.

For example -- the strategies for tackling tough DS problems are very well laid out -- the authors explain a number a common traps people fall into and present a number of excellent examples. So it will be best to not rush through the book -- take your time to actually understand the concepts and do all the practice problems. The explanations are also really detailed -- so make sure you spend a lot of time reading them. They break down DS problems methodically -- so there is quite a lot to be learned from the explanations as well.

I spent about 3 weeks in total on the book (I plan on spending more time in the near future to review the contents again). Aside from the chapter problems -- there are 150 high quality practice problems at the end of the book. Some of these problems will take you more than 2 minutes -- a couple of the DS questions took me a "long" time to solve.

And as far as the level and the percentile and stuff -- I'm not too sure about that. But I'm pretty sure you will benefit from it and see some tangible results. I have done some practice CATs -- usually score fairly decent in Math. But my DS strategies were mostly down to picking numbers and "estimating" and "approximating". I felt that the advanced book really helped me come up with better ideas to tackle DS problems and of course a more methodical and organized approach overall.

I also struggled a bit with advanced number properties questions -- like absolute values and inequalities -- My approach was often reduced to plugging in values (-2,-1, -1/2, 0, 1/2, 1, 2) -- and this is OK -- but it is not always efficient. Sometimes there are just too many variables and cases to consider. So I had to learn how to solve complex inequalities and algebraic expressions quickly and confidently -- the advanced book has some good problems to practice and improve in those areas.

The toughest questions on the Math section are hybrid problems. For example -- problem 229 on OG 12 -- I can tell you for a fact that a couple of months ago there was no way I could have confidently solved a problem like that in a limited amount of time. But after dealing with a bunch of problems like that -- it's not so intimidating anymore. The advanced guide says -- put pen to paper -- move your pen -- write the information down -- get your brain fired up -- draw a diagram -- look for a pattern etc. All this was great advice for me -- because I would often read a problem and try to come up with a mental solution first and then start solving.

Good luck with the book. I really enjoyed it -- it was brutal at times but well worth it.

Originally posted by DevilDoggNC on 20 Jul 2011, 01:35.
Last edited by DevilDoggNC on 20 Jul 2011, 02:14, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 14 Apr 2011
Posts: 159
Reviews Badge
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2011, 02:07
Awesome! thanks all for sharing your views on this book. Mine is on its way now.
Retired Thread Master
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2007
Posts: 463
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2011, 11:35
DevilDoggNC wrote:
gablaze23 wrote:
DevilDoggNC wrote:
Just got done with this book! -- wow! This is a terrific book to say the least. The problems and the explanations were first rate.

The problems are challenging but fair -- every problem in the book can be cracked under 2mins with the right strategy -- even the difficult DS problems with inequalities and absolute values!

The book emphasizes the need to pay close attention to details.

Here is an example of a seemingly harmless looking Geometry DS problem:

ABC is an isosceles triangle. What is the perimeter of ABC.

1) Segment AB = 11
2) Segment BC = 5

------------------------------
Now the advanced test taker might look at this problem and quickly realize that even though we have two sides -- we have no idea which side makes up the "isosceles" triangle. The perimeter could be 11+11+5 OR 5 + 5 + 11. So option E makes sense right?...

Not so fast...there is another trick -- a 11-5-5 triangle violates the "sum of any two sides of a triangle is greater than the 3rd side"....so there is only ONE isosceles triangle that can be formed with the given lengths -- 11-11-5 Triangle. Option C is correct!

I think this is a brilliantly conjured up problem --simple yet a bit tricky -- and of course there are many many more such problems in the book.


Awesome post. I am currently at Q45 right now. I stopped Math for a month and studied Verbal for 2 weeks. I am about to go back to math and start this book on Saturday.

Where were you before the advanced book and where are you now? They said it can raise your score from 70th percentile to 90th percentile. What do you think about that? And how many hours or better yet, hours per day did it take you to finish this book?



I think it will definitely be worth your while to spend some quality time on this book.

For example -- the strategies for tackling tough DS problems are very well laid out -- the authors explain a number a common traps people fall into and present a number of excellent examples. So it will be best to not rush through the book -- take your time to actually understand the concepts and do all the practice problems. The explanations are also really detailed -- so make sure you spend a lot of time reading them. They break down DS problems methodically -- so there is quite a lot to be learned from the explanations as well.

I spent about 3 weeks in total on the book (I plan on spending more time in the near future to review the contents again). Aside from the chapter problems -- there are 150 high quality practice problems at the end of the book. Some of these problems will take you more than 2 minutes -- a couple of the DS questions took me a "long" time to solve.

And as far as the level and the percentile and stuff -- I'm not too sure about that. But I'm pretty sure you will benefit from it and see some tangible results. I have done some practice CATs -- usually score fairly decent in Math. But my DS strategies were mostly down to picking numbers and "estimating" and "approximating". I felt that the advanced book really helped me come up with better ideas to tackle DS problems and of course a more methodical and organized approach overall.

I also struggled a bit with advanced number properties questions -- like absolute values and inequalities -- My approach was often reduced to plugging in values (-2,-1, -1/2, 0, 1/2, 1, 2) -- and this is OK -- but it is not always efficient. Sometimes there are just too many variables and cases to consider. So I had to learn how to solve complex inequalities and algebraic expressions quickly and confidently -- the advanced book has some good problems to practice and improve in those areas.

The toughest questions on the Math section are hybrid problems. For example -- problem 229 on OG 12 -- I can tell you for a fact that a couple of months ago there was no way I could have confidently solved a problem like that in a limited amount of time. But after dealing with a bunch of problems like that -- it's not so intimidating anymore. The advanced guide says -- put pen to paper -- move your pen -- write the information down -- get your brain fired up -- draw a diagram -- look for a pattern etc. All this was great advice for me -- because I would often read a problem and try to come up with a mental solution first and then start solving.

Good luck with the book. I really enjoyed it -- it was brutal at times but well worth it.


Awesome. I am excited to read it! But it really took you 3 weeks? How much hours did you spend a week?

I am pumped. Can you also follow up on this thread your quant score progress? What were you getting before reading this book btw? Because I know the book recommend getting 70% in Quant. I want to see results! :)
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2010
Posts: 155
Schools: UNC Duke Kellogg
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2011, 03:53
gablaze23 wrote:
Awesome. I am excited to read it! But it really took you 3 weeks? How much hours did you spend a week?

I am pumped. Can you also follow up on this thread your quant score progress? What were you getting before reading this book btw? Because I know the book recommend getting 70% in Quant. I want to see results! :)
[/quote][/quote]


The total time I spent on the book was probably about 25 hours. It took me 3 weeks because I work full-time, I don't study for long periods and I also spent time on some verbal stuff and other Math material (like Kaplan Advanced and the Sackmann Extreme Challenge set).

And yes -- will keep you posted on the Quant scores. In the advanced quant book -- out of the 150 problems at the back of the book I got 133 questions right. Got some hard DS questions wrong, fell for a couple of traps and a made a few silly mistakes.
Retired Thread Master
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2007
Posts: 463
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2011, 11:07
DevilDoggNC wrote:
gablaze23 wrote:
Awesome. I am excited to read it! But it really took you 3 weeks? How much hours did you spend a week?

I am pumped. Can you also follow up on this thread your quant score progress? What were you getting before reading this book btw? Because I know the book recommend getting 70% in Quant. I want to see results! :)


Quote:
The total time I spent on the book was probably about 25 hours. It took me 3 weeks because I work full-time, I don't study for long periods and I also spent time on some verbal stuff and other Math material (like Kaplan Advanced and the Sackmann Extreme Challenge set).

And yes -- will keep you posted on the Quant scores. In the advanced quant book -- out of the 150 problems at the back of the book I got 133 questions right. Got some hard DS questions wrong, fell for a couple of traps and a made a few silly mistakes.


What did you score in Quant before going through the book?

Lol I hope you take a CAT soon! I am so excited to hear the results!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2010
Posts: 155
Schools: UNC Duke Kellogg
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 18 Aug 2011, 20:32
@ Gablaze23

Different perspective post exam: I took the real GMAT a couple of days ago -- scored Q50. My overall score was 760 (Q 50, V 44). I was always pretty strong in the verbal section (LSAT prep years ago and I write reports and grant proposals). But quant really scared me -- I invested a lot of time in the advanced quant book mainly because my first manhattan CAT quant did not go all that well.

Now what I realized is this (post real gmat and gmat prep practice) -- the manhattan quant questions are a lot of fun if you like solving difficult math problems. But they are not representative of the real deal. The real gmat questions are very elegant -- in that -- they are not HARD -- they are just *brilliantly* tricky. Manhattan problems take a long time to solve -- they require a lot of work. But the real gmat questions have this tone about them -- its so unique. Most of the problems on the real gmat can be cracked with a proper technique and an analytical approach -- you don't need to use fancy formulas or solve complex expressions and equations.
I am very pleased with my Q50 -- but I don't think the manhattan advanced quant guide helped me much. The real GMAT questions are very subtle -- they are not over powering. The best guide you can use is the GMATPrep software. Keep resetting this software and do every problem (there are plenty of problems in both the bins) on there. I could hardly complete the Manhattan quant sections -- but I completed my real gmat quant exam with 8 minutes to spare.

I am so impressed with the way the real gmat math people conjure up these simple yet elegant problems -- not overpowering but subtle. The manhattan advanced book does not mimic this tone.

Originally posted by DevilDoggNC on 18 Aug 2011, 17:59.
Last edited by DevilDoggNC on 18 Aug 2011, 20:32, edited 1 time in total.
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 19015
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2011, 20:11
Thanks guys for a great overview and feedback!
I will add to the Best GMAT Books thread
_________________
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2011
Posts: 282
Concentration: Finance
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2011, 22:16
I bought this book and went through it when I was studying, and found it to be pretty helpful. I don't think I maximized it in the sense that my study of it was a little disjointed, however I still found myself grasping the topics much better at the higher levels. It will help you see through the layers that separate hard questions from 700 level questions. GMAT day my quant was bad - I got started off with a tough question and never really recovered, ended up with a 43, but I would still recommend this book.
Retired Thread Master
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2007
Posts: 463
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2011, 11:06
DevilDoggNC wrote:
@ Gablaze23

Different perspective post exam: I took the real GMAT a couple of days ago -- scored Q50. My overall score was 760 (Q 50, V 44). I was always pretty strong in the verbal section (LSAT prep years ago and I write reports and grant proposals). But quant really scared me -- I invested a lot of time in the advanced quant book mainly because my first manhattan CAT quant did not go all that well.

Now what I realized is this (post real gmat and gmat prep practice) -- the manhattan quant questions are a lot of fun if you like solving difficult math problems. But they are not representative of the real deal. The real gmat questions are very elegant -- in that -- they are not HARD -- they are just *brilliantly* tricky. Manhattan problems take a long time to solve -- they require a lot of work. But the real gmat questions have this tone about them -- its so unique. Most of the problems on the real gmat can be cracked with a proper technique and an analytical approach -- you don't need to use fancy formulas or solve complex expressions and equations.
I am very pleased with my Q50 -- but I don't think the manhattan advanced quant guide helped me much. The real GMAT questions are very subtle -- they are not over powering. The best guide you can use is the GMATPrep software. Keep resetting this software and do every problem (there are plenty of problems in both the bins) on there. I could hardly complete the Manhattan quant sections -- but I completed my real gmat quant exam with 8 minutes to spare.

I am so impressed with the way the real gmat math people conjure up these simple yet elegant problems -- not overpowering but subtle. The manhattan advanced book does not mimic this tone.


Congratulations. What was your first MGMAT CAT quant score by the way? I am just curious.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 May 2011
Posts: 354
Location: United States (WI)
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE: Research (Other)
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2011, 13:49
Thanks for the review bb. I've ordered this book from amazon, I'll post my thoughts after I go through it.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2010
Posts: 155
Schools: UNC Duke Kellogg
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2011, 14:40
I had 690 on the first MGMAT CAT. I think it was 43 or 44 in Q.


gablaze23 wrote:

Congratulations. What was your first MGMAT CAT quant score by the way? I am just curious.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2010
Posts: 155
Schools: UNC Duke Kellogg
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2011, 16:47
This will be a good subject to get some other points of view.

I am sure there are people on both camps who swear by their experiences. There is one school of thought that says that if you practice on really hard stuff -- then you will ace the easy stuff. I am not so sure about this though. If you practice on really hard stuff -- you might miss the subtlety and minor twists in relatively easier questions (something GMAC does).

It's important to get the easy / medium questions right and make sure you avoid silly mistakes -- this will ensure that you maximize your score. I'm sure there are others who feel differently about this strategy than I do.

For example, I see a number of people on this forum practice LSAT CR and RC questions. I know a bit about the LSAT and although I took it 10 years ago not much has changed on the exam. And most of the guys doing the LSAT CR questions aren't the ones scoring V46 and V48 -- trying to get V51. A lot of the guys doing the LSAT CR and RC questions are the ones scoring V31 and V32 -- hoping that practicing the *tough* stuff from the LSAT is going to improve their score. I would do the exact opposite -- work on fundamentals -- such as finding the conclusion of the argument and understanding the underlying logic -- improving critical reading skills etc.



gablaze23 wrote:

but do you think Manhattan GMAT materials prepare you in Math so much so that the actual GMAT will feel easier?

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 06 Apr 2011
Posts: 43
Location: India
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2011, 22:02
Does the Advanced GMAT Quant Strategy Supplement (Paperback) come with online access.

I just received the delivery of this book purchase by flipkart.com, India, but it did not have the online access code. Now when i spoke to flipkart, they say that the book may not come with an online access. Is that the case? Please let me know.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 14 Mar 2011
Posts: 181
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2011, 22:07
I am going to begin this book this weekend. Hope I learn lots of things and my strategies get better.


Asher wrote:
Does the Advanced GMAT Quant Strategy Supplement (Paperback) come with online access.

I just received the delivery of this book purchase by flipkart.com, India, but it did not have the online access code. Now when i spoke to flipkart, they say that the book may not come with an online access. Is that the case? Please let me know.



No the book does not comes with online access. Only basic 8 guides of Manhattan come with access to tests, the supplement guides do not.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 06 Apr 2011
Posts: 43
Location: India
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2011, 02:55
Quote:
I am going to begin this book this weekend. Hope I learn lots of things and my strategies get better.

All the best :)

Quote:
No the book does not comes with online access. Only basic 8 guides of Manhattan come with access to tests, the supplement guides do not.


Thanks Aj85. just have one more query

What about online access to practice question and bonus drill sets (that is besides the tests) ?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Nov 2011
Posts: 21
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2012, 05:54
Thanks everyone for the inputs. Just to share my experience on this book I performed surprisingly poor in DS and I went through the chapter on DS and it significantly improved my score. I guess possible reason is I was handling DS questions incorrectly although basics were right. So I found this book really useful.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Jan 2012
Posts: 272
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Analyst (Other)
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2012, 14:05
I took a diagnostic and got Q39 (and V39). I've been re-learning all the basics that I had forgotten, and am quickly approaching that glass ceiling (just got a Q42 on a practice test after making some silly mistakes). What are my options for breaking through the glass ceiling to eventually reach Q50? I have more than enough time. What are the alternatives to purchasing and using this book in conjunction with, say, GMAT Club tests?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2012
Posts: 13
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2012, 23:51
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the great advice and reviews. I gave the GMAT on 23rd May and score a 710 (Q49,V38) . I am planning to retake the GMAT in hopes of improving in both sections.Actually i ran out of time in both sections and had to guess in the last 2-3 questions.I will be ordering this book from flipkart and will see if i can improve on my Quant performance.

Cheers
G2
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Apr 2012
Posts: 17
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2013, 16:03
Great review! made my decision to purchase it very easy. I was stuck at around Q42-Q43 for the longest time, and this book takes a lot of the credit for moving me out of that score-range, to a Q50 on gmat day. It teaches you to recognize the traps the quant section is trying to throw at you. While it is hard for any book to test efficiently for tricks and traps after explaining to you every trick and trap for the previous 100 pages, it does a good job of laying bare the types of questions that could be asked at the highest level.

The 150 questions at the end of the book are very very difficult, harder than mostly anything you might see on the gmat, and great practice.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2011
Posts: 277
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V44
GMAT 3: 680 Q44 V39
GMAT 4: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2013, 05:29
@ JohnGalt44: Thanks for the input!

Currently standing at Q44 (my score at my first GMAT attempt), I thought that I have to boost my score first to at least Q46/Q48 and then make use of the MGMAT Advanced Quant. Do you think my current level will still be a good moment to start it? I already have it at home, but had jsut postponed the moment to tackle it. Your insight on this matter will be well appreciated.

All the best,
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT   [#permalink] 14 Feb 2013, 05:29

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 65 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep






Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne