Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:32 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [31]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [9]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [2]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink]
Kudos
AriBenCanaan wrote:
Nice post Ravish. Could you let us know approximately how much time it takes to cover the entire book? I will probably want to solve just about enough problems to get a handle over the key concepts introduced in the book.

Hey BB, thanks for your review. I request your thoughts here too.

I have just about 4 weeks left for my GMAT and I have started with the GMAT Club tests with a plan to take one test every day. I am learning a great deal from these tests and was wondering whether you think it worth the time to go over this book? I have reached a reasonable success rate on the OG12 problems and I do score consistently above 45 on the MGMAT Quant section, but I still struggle with timing on the 700-800 level.

I expect to be fully done with the book by this Weekend (received it on Friday and skipped one day of studying) so I think one can complete the theoretical section of this book (each chapter and it's respective questions) in about a week. I can't comment yet on the workout sets as I am yet to begin those but , I would say that it would take another 4-5 days to complete those plus repeat practice so '2 weeks' tops assuming at least 2 hours per day of diligent studying.

Regarding whether or not this book is for you, it depends on whether a majority of the answers that you get wrong during practice are due to your not remembering a concept or due to your falling for a trap/ not able to dissect the question correctly etc. , if it's the former, then the Manhattan guides are your go to source; if you seem to have trouble with the latter, then this is the book for you.

I just completed the question set in the data sufficiency strategy section and they are fantastic. Not only are they grouped together based on the type of error one can make i.e. not plugging in smart numbers / carrying on information in statement 1 to statement 2 etc. but a considerable number of the answer explanations show both , the path of solving that makes you fall for the trap as well as the correct way that the question should have been solved.

If the 150+ questions in the workout set are of a similar quality, I would say that this book is worth it for the question sets alone.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [2]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Kudos
The key to reaching Q48-49 is to
a.) improve accuracy/timing on DS problems
b.) get a good handle on the frequently tested topics - again to improve timing.

GMATClub tests are very good for this purpose - after 10 or so tests you would see your score crossing Q45 and possibly Q47+.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
@BB: Does this book come with an access to the 6 full length CATS by MGMAT, I had asked this question to Matt Mapplebeck from MGMAT on this forum before the book release, he had denied it--- while when i looked at AMAZON for this book today, the description on the top says it does give you the access to these 6 tests, since you bought the book can you please check what the real story is...
Basically, I am still debating if i should include this book in my arsenal. its about 2.5 months left for my test and i am right now doing the GMATclub tests, i dont want to enter into an unfamiliar arena at this point of study...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Kudos
hi desiaggie, this book doesn't gives you access to 6 cats. I have bought this book myself , the book offers some online practice questions though not the 6 cats. Regarding your other question, yes if you buy any one of the 8 guides of manhattan through amazon you do get the access 6 practice cats. Your question was not directed at me, but i have answered, hope you don't mind. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:UNC Duke Kellogg
 Q50  V44
GPA: 3.28
Send PM
Kudos
Just got done with this book! -- wow! This is a terrific book to say the least. The problems and the explanations were first rate.

The problems are challenging but fair -- every problem in the book can be cracked under 2mins with the right strategy -- even the difficult DS problems with inequalities and absolute values!

The book emphasizes the need to pay close attention to details.

Here is an example of a seemingly harmless looking Geometry DS problem:

ABC is an isosceles triangle. What is the perimeter of ABC.

1) Segment AB = 11
2) Segment BC = 5

------------------------------
Now the advanced test taker might look at this problem and quickly realize that even though we have two sides -- we have no idea which side makes up the "isosceles" triangle. The perimeter could be 11+11+5 OR 5 + 5 + 11. So option E makes sense right?...

Not so fast...there is another trick -- a 11-5-5 triangle violates the "sum of any two sides of a triangle is greater than the 3rd side"....so there is only ONE isosceles triangle that can be formed with the given lengths -- 11-11-5 Triangle. Option C is correct!

I think this is a brilliantly conjured up problem --simple yet a bit tricky -- and of course there are many many more such problems in the book.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Kudos
i bought the book on amazon the week after it came out. it was perfect timing for me as i had already scheduled to retake the test and was focusing almost exclusively on improving my quant.

the book does a really good on teaching you alternative methods for solving 70 percentile level and above problems (~Q46). once you get to the 80+ percentile problems, they begin to test your ability to recognize certain details and subtleties. Things like the product of 3 consecutive numbers is always divisible by 3. this book does a good job at going through some of these with specific strategies and tactics. they even start to go into guessing techniques when you get stuck on certain types of problems. for example, in probability problems, find answer pairs. if one answer is 2/3 and another is 1/3, guessing one of these two is better than guessing randomly. things like that.

note. it does not go through any math principals. it assumes you have a solid grasp of all the material from the regular mgmat quant books (which are excellent and i recommend). basically, it assumes you are consistently scoring at least Q45. if you are not, i would recommend reviewing the regular mgmat quant books again rather than picking up this book.

also note that there are a few mistakes, typos, and missing pictures which can be a little confusing. its a 1st edition.

i already took my test and it's been over a month since i read the book so i don't remember too much more detail to make this a more detailed review. but i can tell you that my official test score in quant went from a Q46 before this book to a Q49 after this book. i can't confidently say it was only because of this. in fact, i also used gmatclub practice tests (i also recommend these), but my score improved and i'm sure this book was at least part of the reason why.

in summary, it's a great book if you're stuck around the Q45-47 range and have already gone through all the official problems. I would recommend this book as the last step in your quant study. use it after all the regular mgmat quant books and after all the official guide problems. not before and definitely not instead of. the book has good tips and a lot of practice problems with solutions to break the 80% ceiling.

good luck!
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [1]
Given Kudos: 123
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Send PM
Kudos
DevilDoggNC wrote:
I had 690 on the first MGMAT CAT. I think it was 43 or 44 in Q.

gablaze23 wrote:

Congratulations. What was your first MGMAT CAT quant score by the way? I am just curious.

I am getting a flat grade of Q43 in my MGMAT too. I have taken 3 tests so far, Q45, Q43 and another Q43.

You said you would rather work with OG materials bec their style of questions are more elegant and whatnot, but do you think Manhattan GMAT materials prepare you in Math so much so that the actual GMAT will feel easier? Lol. I want to know whether in your opinion, I should still finish the Advanced Quant problem sets, which is another 150 numbers. Or should I just re-do my OG?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:UNC Duke Kellogg
 Q50  V44
GPA: 3.28
Send PM
Kudos
It's very hard to say -- I would hate to lead you down the wrong road.

And what worked for me, or even my opinion on this subject -- might be completely wrong.

The 150 problems are challenging and will help you build your analytical and quant skills -- no doubt about it.

But if you were hard pressed for time (as I was) -- I am not convinced that those hard 150 problems are going to help you the most when it comes to scoring. The GMAT prep problems -- I did only those the last 3 weeks and re-set the software and got several new questions on multiple attempts. Those were the most representative of the real stuff.

It all depends on how much time you have. If time is not an issue -- I would say working through the 150 problems in MGMAT Advanced guide will help you get better. The MGMAT explanations are pretty good too.

But if your test is in 2 or 3 weeks -- don't ignore the GMAT Prep or leave it till the last couple of days (people make this mistake thinking its only 2 tests and not realizing that each test bin has a question bank). GMAT Prep and the last 100 problems in PS and DS sections of the OG beat the rest of the materials out there (in my humble opinion).

gablaze23 wrote:
DevilDoggNC wrote:
I had 690 on the first MGMAT CAT. I think it was 43 or 44 in Q.

gablaze23 wrote:

Congratulations. What was your first MGMAT CAT quant score by the way? I am just curious.

I am getting a flat grade of Q43 in my MGMAT too. I have taken 3 tests so far, Q45, Q43 and another Q43.

You said you would rather work with OG materials bec their style of questions are more elegant and whatnot, but do you think Manhattan GMAT materials prepare you in Math so much so that the actual GMAT will feel easier? Lol. I want to know whether in your opinion, I should still finish the Advanced Quant problem sets, which is another 150 numbers. Or should I just re-do my OG?
Manhattan GMAT Online Marketing Associate
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos
Asher wrote:
What about online access to practice question and bonus drill sets (that is besides the tests) ?

Asher,

The Advanced GMAT Quant Strategy Guide does not come with access to the 6 Computer Adaptive Tests but it does come with Advanced Quant Practice Questions and an Advanced Quant Bonus Drill Set. See more here: https://www.manhattangmat.com/storeitems ... 0&catid=10

Best,
Matt Mapplebeck
Student Services Associate
Manhattan GMAT
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Kudos
mmapplebeck wrote:
Asher wrote:
What about online access to practice question and bonus drill sets (that is besides the tests) ?

Asher,

The Advanced GMAT Quant Strategy Guide does not come with access to the 6 Computer Adaptive Tests but it does come with Advanced Quant Practice Questions and an Advanced Quant Bonus Drill Set. See more here: https://www.manhattangmat.com/storeitems ... 0&catid=10

Best,
Matt Mapplebeck
Student Services Associate
Manhattan GMAT

Thanks Matt.

I wrote to books@manhattangmat.com about the issue, and was granted access to the online material. :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 927 [1]
Given Kudos: 47
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.88
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
Nice review. This is a great book for anyone needing extra help to boost the quantitative section especially those that have their basics right but make mistakes with the tougher questions... It is the absolute best source for DS strategy, which i guess is the most problematic area for most test takers. Not sure whether the two minute per question rule applies to the sets provided in the section but I couldnt finish a lot of the questions within 2 minutes, and without the 2 minute limit i could only manage 65%-70% accuracy.. Overall i find the real value of this book , and the questions associated with it (the sets) in GOING OVER THE SOLUTIONS and solving them after reviewing them in detail.. Great to boost confidence...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
@bgpower

I know they have a caveat at the beginning of the book that if you aren't scoring above Q45 or some arbitrary line, you shouldn't use this book. However, as long as you think you have mastered the basics this book could be very very helpful.

I think the difficultly level of the questions is a bit over the top, but that was a good thing for me. It made the actual GMAT questions seem simple in comparison.

In summary, if you feel you are weak in just one area, I would say to focus on that one area first before coming to this book, if you have mastered all the basics, and are looking to apply those basics more productively, then this could be the book for you.

Hope this helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Kudos
I would divide the book into two categories, Strategy and Practice. The strategy portion is good for any one who has mastered the concepts that are tested on the GMAT but finds difficulty putting things together (integrating the information to form the "bigger picture")..If you are scoring in the low 40's a lot of the questions in the question sets will be a bit too tough for you to really make a difference, However the strategy portion may help you in some cases. If you are struggling with 650+ DS questions for example, then the DS portion on the book should do you good, as it really talks about advanced strategy for DS which are not covered in many other books. If you are struggling for time, then learning to guess better may help to improve your score. Like the previous poster said, analyze whether their are deficiencies in your overall concept clarity, if not then move to this book, otherwise go over the strategy books again till you have a better grip of the material tested.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Kudos
Practicing GMAT Quant is all about solving a question (or 10 or 20 for example) then challenging oneself to figure out other ways to solve it. Try to solve PS by both traditional algebra etc and by back solving, the more you practice you will get an intuition as to whether a particular question can be solved quicker by strategy A or B. 80+% of the questions in OG can be solved in 2 or more ways, so that really multiples the amount of questions you have in front of you for practice .
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [2]
Send PM
Kudos