Last visit was: 09 May 2024, 09:32 It is currently 09 May 2024, 09:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 522 [471]
Given Kudos: 8
GPA: 3.95
WE:Supply Chain Management (Other)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38910 [133]
Given Kudos: 220
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38910 [12]
Send PM
General Discussion
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [4]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Re: Consolidated "Thursdays with Ron" Sentence Correction [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
I have compiled the latest version of the same collection at the link: consolidated-thursday-with-ron-list-for-all-the-sections-201006.html#p1544515
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73123 [1]
Given Kudos: 18942
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: ALL OG Sentence Correction Examples/Analogy of Ron (99%) and others [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Thank you for posting and Kudos for the initiative.
One question i have is - how do i use this? How do I improve my score due to this resource?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [4]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT 1: 530 Q40 V23
GPA: 3.56
WE:Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Re: ALL OG Sentence Correction Examples/Analogy of Ron (99%) and others [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
AbdurRakib It's indeed a mammoth task. well done. it seems that you have to google for hundreds of OG SC questions. Heartfelt kudus to you :-D

Just asking, did you also gather the option-wise best responses [Ron's / others] of a particular problem while browsing the solution ? if yes, that could be an awesome efficient resource for practicing & reviewing the OG problems.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38910 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
musunna wrote:
AbdurRakib It's indeed a mammoth task. well done. it seems that you have to google for hundreds of OG SC questions. Heartfelt kudus to you :-D

Just asking, did you also gather the option-wise best responses [Ron's / others] of a particular problem while browsing the solution ? if yes, that could be an awesome efficient resource for practicing & reviewing the OG problems.

Thanks for your kind words

The answer of your Question is YES.I tried to get every possible explanation from the GMAT experts (1st priority is to find Ron's explanation),assumed that I might miss some important points during my Process of elimination .Process of elimination is critical and I collected this resources to foster my PoE while maintaining meaningful reason to Eliminate/Select answer choice.MY resource reflected all analogies/examples for relative comparison and absolute comparison between answer choices to resolve meaning issues,Idioms issue,modifier issues,etc.

Thanks
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1264 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Strategy
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
I am still not clear as to how I use this?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38910 [3]
Send PM
ALL OG Sentence Correction Examples/Analogy of Ron (99%) and others [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Keats wrote:

Thanks for your interest to know.

Process of Elimination is critical and it is a key to get a question right

Here is an OG Question to analyze.Correct answer is B and I want to emphasize on eliminating Answer Choice D(Incorrect) during process of Elimination

Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that provide that even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas, they have already stimulated international disputes over uninhabited islands.

A. Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that provide that even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas, they have already stimulated

B. Because the new maritime code provides that even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas, it has already stimulated

C. Even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas under provisions of the new maritime code, already stimulated

D. Because even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large areas under maritime code, this has already stimulated

E. Because even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large areas under provisions of the new maritime code, which is already stimulating

Here is the analogy of selecting D as Incorrect by Ron:
    because studies have shown that X is 60 percent of Y, this finding has shocked most observers.
    --> incorrect. the presence of "because" at the beginning of the first clause means you can't use "this finding" anymore.
    i don't have any idea what the actual rule is here, but i do know with 100% certainty that these constructions are allowed and disallowed respectively.
AND If you want to know

Here is the Correct usage:
    studies have shown that X is 60 percent of Y, a finding that has shocked most observers.
    studies have shown that X is 60 percent of Y; this finding has shocked most observers.
    --> both correct. note that "a finding", following the comma, or "this finding", standing alone after the semicolon, stands for the entirety of the clause that comes before it; you couldn't use "which" here, because "which" would automatically refer to Y

Please see the original post of RON here : https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... t7381.html

I just accumulated All these examples/analogies to the resource

Originally posted by AbdurRakib on 12 Jun 2016, 03:54.
Last edited by AbdurRakib on 14 Jun 2016, 10:29, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1264 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Strategy
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
AbdurRakib wrote:
Keats wrote:

Here is an OG Question to analyze.Correct answer is B and I want to emphasize on eliminating Answer Choice D(Incorrect) during process of Elimination

Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that provide that even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas, they have already stimulated international disputes over uninhabited islands.

A. Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that provide that even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas, they have already stimulated

B. Because the new maritime code provides that even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas, it has already stimulated

C. Even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas under provisions of the new maritime code, already stimulated

D. Because even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large areas under maritime code, this has already stimulated

E. Because even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large areas under provisions of the new maritime code, which is already stimulating

because studies have shown that X is 60 percent of Y, this finding has shocked most observers.
    --> incorrect. the presence of "because" at the beginning of the first clause means you can't use "this finding" anymore.
    i don't have any idea what the actual rule is here, but i do know with 100% certainty that these constructions are allowed and disallowed respectively.
AND If you want to know

studies have shown that X is 60 percent of Y, a finding that has shocked most observers.
    studies have shown that X is 60 percent of Y; this finding has shocked most observers.
    --> both correct. note that "a finding", following the comma, or "this finding", standing alone after the semicolon, stands for the entirety of the clause that comes before it; you couldn't use "which" here, because "which" would automatically refer to Y

Please see the original post of RON here : https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... t7381.html

This sounds interesting and will be of great help. Okay, so I've one more question for you. While I was going through your OneDrive, I am not able to understand how to process it. While I was reading the first row, it says "Past Perfect". Now, how do I know which question and which option from OG have you discussed? In short, I am not able to parse it.

Please help.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38910 [3]
Send PM
ALL OG Sentence Correction Examples/Analogy of Ron (99%) and others [#permalink]
Kudos
Keats wrote:
AbdurRakib wrote:
Keats wrote:

AND If you want to know

This sounds interesting and will be of great help. Okay, so I've one more question for you. While I was going through your OneDrive, I am not able to understand how to process it. While I was reading the first row, it says "Past Perfect". Now, how do I know which question and which option from OG have you discussed? In short, I am not able to parse it.

Please help.

Thanks.

This resource is more like a GMAT laws/rules/likes-dislikes etc. that used to explain several OG questions including GMAT PREP questions. (explained by Ron especially)

So ,First ,You need to internalize it.you can see anytime how this resource/analogy works on different problems again and again. (Just Google the analogy/example with Ron/gmat/beat the gmat,you'll see the referred OG questions)

Hope it helps
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 305 [6]
Given Kudos: 60
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 490 Q44 V15
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GRE 1: Q165 V155
GPA: 3.05
WE:Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Send PM