Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 16:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Among the myths taken as fact by the environmental managers

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 18

Among the myths taken as fact by the environmental managers [#permalink] New post 09 May 2012, 12:27
Among the myths taken as fact by the environmental managers of most corporations is the Line belief that environmental regulations affect all competitors in a given industry uniformly. In reality, regulatory costs—and therefore compliance—fall unevenly, economically disadvantaging some companies and benefiting others. For example, a plant situated near a number of larger noncompliant competitors is less likely to attract the attention of local regulators than is an isolated plant, and less attention means lower costs.

Additionally, large plants can spread compliance costs such as waste treatment across a larger revenue base; on the other hand, some smaller plants may not even be subject to certain provisions such as permit or reporting requirements by virtue of their size. Finally, older production technologies often continue to generate toxic wastes that were not regulated when the technology was first adopted.

New regulations have imposed extensive compliance costs on companies still using older industrial coal-fired burners that generate high sulfur dioxide and
nitrogen oxide outputs, for example, whereas new facilities generally avoid processes that would create such waste products. By realizing that they have discretion and that not all
industries are affected equally by environmental regulation, environmental managers can help their companies to achieve a competitive edge by anticipating regulatory pressure and
exploring all possibilities for addressing how changing regulations will affect their companies specifically.
According to the passage, which of the following statements about sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxide outputs is true?
A. Older production technologies cannot be adapted so as to reduce production of these outputs as waste products.
B. Under the most recent environmental regulations, industrial plants are no longer permitted to produce these outputs.
C. Although these outputs are environmentally hazardous, some plants still generate them as waste products despite the high compliance costs they impose.
D. Many older plants have developed innovative technological processes that reduce the amounts of these outputs generated as waste products.
E. Since the production processes that generate these outputs are less costly than alternative processes, these less expensive processes are sometimes adopted despite their acknowledged environmental hazards.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 18

Re: GWD #19 V10 [#permalink] New post 09 May 2012, 12:40
I initially picked B, but after reading the passage again, changed my mind into A.
My reasoning is like this.
If older production technologies can be adapted to reduce production of sulfur dioxide, who doesn't modify thier production when there is a regulation that imposes extensive compliance costs on companies that generate sulfur dioxide? In other words, the regulation affects older productions and new production evenly because older production can modify their production. However, since older production cannot be adapted to reduce production of sulfur dioxide, the older production is disadvenataged by the regulation just as the passage explained.

To be sure, I looked up this question and found a lot of people insist the answer for this Q is C.
I can see why those people picked C.

I'd like to hear people's opinions on this issue.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 7

Re: Among the myths taken as fact by the environmental managers [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 06:21
same here ... i went for A ... I know even C is right ... but why is A wrong??
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 39

Re: Among the myths taken as fact by the environmental managers [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 20:36
very easy passage but the question is hard.

A
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.46

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 28

Re: Among the myths taken as fact by the environmental managers [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2013, 19:41
This is a passage from OG 13. Everyone can check the page 388. OA here is C. The passage only mentions that new regulations have imposed extensive compliance costs and that old burners still generate SO2 and NO, this is the idea of C. We can find in nowhere whether these burners can be adapted to meet the new requirements. Hence, A is out.

What does't kill you makes you stronger.

Re: Among the myths taken as fact by the environmental managers   [#permalink] 28 Dec 2013, 19:41