Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 22:05 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4586 [24]
Given Kudos: 606
Concentration: Technology, Other
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [2]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 630 Q49 V26
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [1]
Given Kudos: 59
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 289 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Concentration: Technology, Nonprofit
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
WE:Analyst (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: As Americans suffered through the first two years of the Great Depress [#permalink]
Can you please explain OA for Q2 and Q3?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4548 [0]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
Re: As Americans suffered through the first two years of the Great Depress [#permalink]
sandman13 wrote:
Can you please explain OA for Q2 and Q3?

I am not convinced about B for Q2, but I can take Q3.

3. Which of the following is the primary purpose of the passage above?

(A) To criticize an important program implemented during the Great Depression - The author doesn't criticize RFC. Infact, he is positive about RFC.

(B) To argue that Herbert Hoover could have done more during the Great Depression - The author's tone is positive about RFC. So, this cannot be the answer.

(C) To highlight an unexpected program of Herbert Hoover during the Great Depression - RFC wasn't an unexpected program

(D) To summarize the implications of a policy that Herbert Hoover instituted during the Great Depression - Correct.

(E) To analyze Herbert Hover’s legacy during the Great Depression- The passage doesn't give importance to Hover's legacy. It gives importance to RFC, which was one among several Hover's policies.

Answer: D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V27
GRE 1: Q160 V150
GPA: 2.7
Send PM
In Veritas Prep the answer for Que 3 is C , here is the explanation

Solution: C

Explanation: This is an implicit question that you should answer from your initial reading. For (A) the goal of the passage was not to criticize the RFC but rather give information about Hoover and the RFC. Likewise for (B), even though the author suggests that more could have done, the goal of the passage is not to ARGUE anything but rather present some information with a subtly embedded tone. In (C) the primary goal of this passage IS to highlight the RFC within the context of Hoover’s presidency during the Great Depression. The term “unexpected” is appropriate because everything in the first paragraph and beginning of the second suggests that Hoover would not embark on any kind of non-traditional program such as the RFC. For (D), the implications of the RFC are not summarized and that is not the primary goal of the passage. In (E), the statement is far too broad. This passage is only about one program of Hoover’s during the Great Depression and how it related to expectations for Hoover. Answer is (C).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 232
Send PM
please suggest ans 0f Q3 and Q4

is the answer provided correct

For q4 why can it be E. they were poorly recieved by Democrates
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8833 [0]
Given Kudos: 3034
GRE 1: Q168 V154
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
sameeruce08 wrote:
please suggest ans 0f Q3 and Q4

is the answer provided correct

For q4 why can it be E. they were poorly recieved by Democrates

sameeruce08

The answers provided for Q4 is correct

For Q4, option E says "They were poorly received by all Democrats" while the passage says that the hoover's policies were poorly received by some democrats.

"Some" is not equal to "all" Hence option E can be eliminated.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1103
Send PM
Hi VeritasKarishma, GMATNinja,

I was wondering could one of you please explain why option C is correct for Q3 and D is incorrect? In the first paragraph, we are given that, "Herbert Hoover had been elected to office on a platform promising safe, conservative economic programs. It was almost asking too much of him to come up with the imaginative, even radical, leadership that seemed needed to deal with the crisis". We know that Hoover couldn't have up imaginative or radical programs because it would have been too much for him. My main confusion is how can we deduce that RFC was an "unexpected" program? I am unable to see where in the passage, the author implies that RFC was an unexpected program.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64941 [3]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
JS1290 wrote:

I was wondering could one of you please explain why option C is correct for Q3 and D is incorrect? In the first paragraph, we are given that, "Herbert Hoover had been elected to office on a platform promising safe, conservative economic programs. It was almost asking too much of him to come up with the imaginative, even radical, leadership that seemed needed to deal with the crisis". We know that Hoover couldn't have up imaginative or radical programs because it would have been too much for him. My main confusion is how can we deduce that RFC was an "unexpected" program? I am unable to see where in the passage, the author implies that RFC was an unexpected program.

Last line of second paragraph says: "Perhaps his sharpest break with tradition was the establishment of the Reconstruction Finance Corporation in January, 1932."
Since what were expected from him were "safe, conservative economic programs," RFC was unexpected.

"The implications of RFC" is not the main point of the passage hence (D) is not correct. Two paragraphs are all about why RFC was out of the ordinary for Hoover. The last paragraph highlights RFC, its contribution and people's attitude.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 452 [1]
Given Kudos: 883
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 670 Q45 V37
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
Bookmarks
Q1. The author would most likely agree with all of the following except:

(A) A more radical leader than Hoover was needed to properly combat the Great Depression
(B) Leaders should not be automatically blamed for problems during their tenure
(C) The RFC unfairly favored large and powerful institutions.
(D) At least for a short time, the RFC had some positive effect on the economy.
(E) The impact of Hoover’s policies on the Great Depression remain controversial.

The OA for this question is C. However, I do not understand how it could be the correct answer. Any help is appreciated.

"Whatever its value to the economy, many people weren’t happy with the RFC, saying that it helped only the large and powerful. This criticism wasn’t entirely valid after mid-1932,......". The author says that the criticism is not entirely valid after mid-1932. Doesn't that leave the possibility that the author thought that the criticism was valid before mid 1932?

Regarding option (A), "A more radical leader than Hoover was needed to properly combat the Great Depression" - the passage mentions "The fact was, however, that potent remedies appeared to require a radically different approach to public finance and a revolutionary concept of the role of federal government in the time of economic crisis. Herbert Hoover had been elected to office on a platform promising safe, conservative economic programs. It was almost asking too much of him to come up with the imaginative, even radical, leadership that seemed needed to deal with the crisis."
In the second paragraph, "Perhaps his sharpest break with tradition was the establishment of the Reconstruction Finance Corporation in January, 1932."
I came to the conclusion that the author meant that establishment of the RFC by Hoover was the radical approach that was much needed for this situation.

Can you explain where I went wrong?
GMATNinja, GMATNinjaTwo, VeritasKarishma
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Send PM
for Q2 Answer B

"There seems to be little question that for a short time the RFC, by feeding money in at the top, staved off many bankruptcies and prevented more serious losses than otherwise would have occurred. However, by the fall of 1932, this was no longer the case as banks again were tightening credit, deflation ground on"

I interpreted the complete opposite, that the RFC was no longer a contributing factor precisely because tightening had now taken the relay of mitigating the crisis. Perhaps I should spend more time studying economics.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
JS1290 wrote:

Last line of second paragraph says: "Perhaps his sharpest break with tradition was the establishment of the Reconstruction Finance Corporation in January, 1932."
Since what were expected from him were "safe, conservative economic programs," RFC was unexpected.

"The implications of RFC" is not the main point of the passage hence (D) is not correct. Two paragraphs are all about why RFC was out of the ordinary for Hoover. The last paragraph highlights RFC, its contribution and people's attitude.

VeritasKarishma
What is in with Question 2,
it is quite difficult to anticipate B when we see E in the answer choices, what is the trick word in it??? cOULD YOU HELP
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64941 [1]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM