Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:02 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.4
WE:General Management (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Given Kudos: 1752
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: Ask ARINGO MBA Admissions Consulting [#permalink]
Expert Reply
joan08 wrote:
Hi Aringo,

Would you kindly evaluate my profile below.

GMAT: 670 (V36, Q46), IR 5, AWA 5.5
Major: BS in Management, major in Communications Technology Management, Cum Laude (top 2 university in the country)
GPA: 3.53 out of 4
I received partial scholarships for my undergraduate degree
Extracurricular: very limited, in college I was part of the scholars' organization for 2 years. My participation included tutoring at a public school during Saturdays and joining in caroling as a fundraiser during Decembers (Girls' alto voice head for 1 year)
Sports: Varsity player in college, and up to now still a competitive athlete. This is the reason why my extracurricular profile is very weak

Work Experience: 3.5 years in the ICT/telecommunications industry
Current job: relationship management executive in top telecommunications company in the country
I handle about 40 companies in the offshore and outsourcing industry (international clients). Apart from ensuring consistent and profitable sales revenues of my accounts, I supervise pre-sales engagements with the technical team, oversee project implementations, and assist with after-sales credit/technical issues.

Preferred Course: International Business/ International Management

Based on my profile, am I a good candidate for an MBA or Masters? Which schools should I target and which will have the best chances to offer a full scholarship? Since my family and I can afford only the living costs abroad, it is crucial to get a full tuition scholarship but I am not sure if this is possible given my profile. Another option I am looking into is to study in Germany where some schools charge little or no tuition fees. It may not be as good as the top US schools, but what is also important for me is the international exposure. This will help me reach my long-term goal of gaining a management role in an international organization (such as the UN) or in a multinational company.

I hope to hear your valuable inputs.

Thank you,

Joan

Hi Joan,
You have a good profile, and the fact that you are a woman from the Philippines gives you an edge in terms of diversity. The GMAT is not great, so if you are looking for a scholarship, you will have to set your sites lower than if you simply wanted to gain admission. I suggest you go to the BusWeek rankings https://www.businessweek.com/bschools/ra ... a_profiles and choose schools below the top 20 and look to see what their median GMAT range is. Some schools to try for you might be Mays (Texas), Smith (Maryland) and Cox (Southern Methodist U).

I think you are an ideal candidate for an MBA - regarding a regular master's, that's not my specialty, so I can't really say - I think you should consider what your actual career goals are, then do some research to see what is the best path to getting there.

Good luck!

Joy
Senior Application Consultant
Aringo.com
https://www.facebook.com/Aringo.Top.MBA.Admissions

Free, detailed MBA chances calculator
Admission tips and scholarship info per school
Plan your application content (free online tool)
Get an initial assessment

Send PM
Expert Reply
niyatigpt4 wrote:
Hello,

I was wondering if you could have a quick look at my profile and give me feedback on it. I would really appreciate it.

I am a 23 year old female. I have 2 years of full time work experience in the social sector. My work entailed leadership development in head masters and teachers in the Indian government schools.
I recently gave my gmat and got a score of 600 with an IR score of 7. I am planning to retake the exam.

I have done my BBA from Symbiosis International University, India and secured a GPA of 3.6. In addition to this I have done level A1 certification in French language, have a good number of extracurricular activities to my credit and have been in a few strong leadership positions as well.

I have a fair amount of international exposure as well. I have been brought up in Canada, pursued my studies in India, have worked with the marginalized sections of rural India, and have completed a summer business course from Berlin School of Economics.

Post my MBA I would like to start my own social venture in the sector of alternative education.
I target programs are INSEAD, HEC, and the likes. I wanted to know, apart from retaking the GMAT and securing a much higher score what do I need to do to strengthen my profile? And if I go ahead and apply this year (for sept 2015 intake) what are my chances of being accepted to a good college?

Thank you
Niyati

Hi Niyati,

I would definitely take a year or two to improve your GMAT and gain some work experience. Particularly for European schools, you are on the young side (usually candidates have around 5 years professional experience). For INSEAD you have the international exposure, and you have an interesting goal that aligns with your experience. What you need now is to gain work experience - preferably something entrepreneurial, either your own venture or someone else's, or something very connected to your future goals, that will provide a good basis for your organization in the future. And, work hard on your GMAT - reach for 700.

All the best,

Joy

Aringo.com

Send PM
Expert Reply
Kathmandu2013 wrote:
Hi Joy, I was looking to receive any feedback now that I have received my new GMAT score. My objective is a top 10 program. Here is my profile. If it looks familiar, it's because I asked for feedback when I had a lower GMAT score. I heeded your advice and raised that score (albeit marginally), but was specifically interested in knowing how that small increase in my GMAT score increases (or potentially decreases my chances). Do you think I can have confidence in being accepted to at least 1 top 10 program?

-Went to a Top 5 public university - Majored in Business Administration with a Major GPA off 3.6
-Minored in Mandarin Chinese, which was tough, which pulled my overall GPA down to 3.3.
-Did I-Banking as an analyst in NYC at one off the usual suspects
-Recruited from the bank to a small start-up building the business from pre-revenue into to $10mm+ (SAAS business)
-700GMAT (took it three times) though my quant score went down my verbal went sharply up, does that hurt?
-Strong Community Work & Co-founded an active charity in the community, it has a broad impact and lasting impact
-Will have a total of 5.5YR WE
-White male

Good for you!! I do remember you, yes :) I think you have a shot at top 10 - I'd go with Columbia, early decision and Chicago to start with. Well aligned with finance goals and relatively large intakes. Darden also a good option. And if you are willing to go with a great non top 10, then choose a good backup, like NYU Stern. Every client I've ever had who went there was VERY happy.

Good luck,

Joy

Aringo.com

Send PM
Expert Reply
aniketgur wrote:
Hi Sir,

I'm planning to pursue 2 yrs MBA program in SCM from US.

I'm an Indian male, 26 yrs of age with good 4 yrs experience in Automobile industry MNC's

GMAT: 640 (Q48,V28), IR 8, AWA-5.5 (Gave exam 3 times)
GRE: 319 (Q63, V56)
TOEFL: 109

BE in Mechanical 55% Aggregate (Pune University)

Work Experience: Total 4 yrs
2 yrs in Mahindra & Mahindra, an Indian Automobile company (SCM function)
2 yrs in Piaggio Vehicles, an Italian MNC (SCM function)

Extra Curricular: Ordinary
Papers Published: None
Community Work: 3-4 corporate ESOPS event

Target Schools:
1. Ross, University of Michigan
2. Broad, Michigan State University
3. Krannert, Purdue Univ
4. Fisher, Ohio State Univ
5. Smeal, Pennsylvania State University
6. Tepper, Carnegie Mellon Univ

Please evaluate my profile and let me know if I stand good chances in any of the above schools.

Regards,
Aniket Gur

Hi Aniket,
From what you've written, there's nothing that really stands out about your profile, so you will need to work really hard with your essays and recommendations to do so. Perhaps you have developed leadership skills along the way, or good business skills - you'll need to find and accentuate them. Your GMAT score on top of your profile means you will probably not have much of a chance at Tepper or Ross, which are top 8 and 11 schools that like high GMATs and high achievers. Some of the other schools you mention are within your GMAT range, so I would go with those, and then work on the rest of your application as I suggested above.

You are probably young enough to wait another year, and work hard to improve your profile - get involved in some volunteer work, improve your GMAT, etc.

Good luck!!

Joy

Aringo.com

Send PM
Expert Reply
zeideisid wrote:
Hi Aringo,

My profile is as below:

GMAT : 690
Work Ex: 8 years

Have done my Bachelors and Masters in Engineering
Have been working in Hewlett Packard in India as a Software Engineer in their Product Engineering Division for the past 8 years.

Post MBA want to get into Product Management in a Software Company or work in IT or Strategy Consulting

Based on the above which colleges would you recommend me to apply to ?

Regards
Siddhartha

Hi Siddhartha,

There's a lot of missing information above, but based on what you've given I'll answer. Assuming you are a male, you probably know that you are in an over-represented category (Indian male engineers looking to move to the business side). Without knowing the school you went to or your grades, or if you have any sort of leadership, or what kind of community service you have done, I would say go for top 30 schools, maybe shoot for a top 20 or two as a stretch. You can easily find a list at Business Week - they provide names and rankings of all the international MBA schools, along with the specializations of each, so you can narrow your search to the ones that focus on your industry.

Good luck!!

Joy
Aringo.com

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Schools: YLP '18
Send PM
Hi

I have applied for the ISB YLP. It requires me to upload my GMAT score report and marks. I gave the GMAT twice but the second time my score dropped.
My question is which score report schould I upload, the first one in which I got higher marks or the second one?

Please help. Deadline is near.

Thanks
:)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Other (Real Estate)
Send PM
Hey Joy,

Profile:
White, Male
GPA: 3.1 overall (essentially didn't go to class first two years, 3.75 GPA in upper class coursework, Major GPAs of 3.9 and 3.6)
Finance and Econ double major from non-Ivy top 20 US program.
GMAT: 720 (didn't really get a chance to study the first time so I'm retaking it in 1.5 weeks but work has been so crazy I haven't been able to study for it again) Hopefully, I can get it up to a 740/750-ish.

Decent extra-curriculars in college, plus Econ Tutor, and Finance TA.

Spent 2 years in Private Wealth Mgt for High Net Worth Individuals (at a boutique firm that the Ad Com's won't have heard about). Small firm (got raises every 6 months but no promotion due to size of firm (would have to jump from Analyst to VP).

Quit my job to try and pursue military (I wanted to deploy). Long story short some trivial medical issues kept delaying application/process. While working out a ton I coached high school basketball (Varsity Asst and JV Coach), coached summer league, and coached the youth feeder program. Basically, when everything was resolved I got an eye infection that lasted three months. At this point, I'd been out of the corporate world for a year; military was pulling out of Middle East (and major concerns about budget cuts). I had committed to coaching another season, when the season was over I found a job in RE valuation. Boutique firm that the Ad Coms have never heard of. After 18 month trainee program became associate. Job definitely has been great experience, worked on some really cool projects, recently named employee of the quarter. Also, awarded CFA charter recently. LOR should be strong. Will have 5.5 years work experience; currently 28.

Targets: U Washington (Foster), McCombs (Texas), UCLA, Duke (Fuqua), maybe Tuck (early action), Kellogg, Booth, Wharton, Notre Dame.

Post-MBA: Management consulting (finance/strategy), finance/strategy rotation program, or I-banking (real estate group)

Advice, I'm getting is all over the place. Some people say apply anywhere, others say definitely don't waste time/money/breath applying to H/S or Top 7.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Profile Evaluation needed.
Following are my details. I am still researching about the MBA colleges.
After MBA, I am interested in working as MC.
Long term goal, Expand family business.

My GMAT score is 710.
Experience 50 months.
Age - 26
I am an engineering graduate in IT from top Indian university National Institute of technology Karnataka.
CGPA - 7.63/10
Attachments

Vidit_Resume_final.pdf [123.82 KiB]
Downloaded 36 times

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 126
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: ISB '18 (A)
GPA: 2.7
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hello,

Please evaluate my profile:

Pool: Indian Male/28yrs/Single/IT

Academics: Electrical engineer from IIT
GPA: 6.57/10 (not good as per IIT standards)
Extra Curricular:

College:
1.Few positions of responsibilities(head/sub-head) in cultural/technical fests and alumni meet at college.
2.Won few awards in intra college level socio-cultural competitions.
3.Won gold in intra IIT table tennis competetion(freshers), represented my hostel in different sports activities.

High School: won few olympiads at state level and national level. Represented school at national level painting competetion

Work Experience: 6years (2 years in BFSI, 2.5 years in Automated trading firm, 1.5 years in big data analytics firm)

Work Profile:
- No international experience but coordinated among teams spread across different demographies
- Worked mostly in high-tech domains

Area of interest : Finance, strategy, consulting, high-tech

Gmat: 710 (Q 51 V 34 ) IR :8

Volunteer Work: Few at organizational level for underprivileged kids (for 2 years). But currently not involved in any NGO/CSR activites.
Founded a start-up for artists( as I am passionate about the use of technology in arts)

This was my 3rd attempt at GMAT. Although I could have done better, esp. in verbal , I am in no mood of a retake now. I am pretty much exhausted by my work load and family life.

Target B-schools : Chicago booth/Kellogg MMM/UCLA/Duke/Cornell/Darden/Ross/Tuck

Thanks in advance for your help.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM

My GMAT score is 710 / 50q/ 36v.
Experience 50 months.
Age - 26
I am an engineering graduate in IT from top Indian university National Institute of technology Karnataka.
CGPA - 7.63/10
Attachments

Vidit_Resume_final.pdf [123.82 KiB]
Downloaded 35 times

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 246
Concentration: Technology, General Management
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Sir or Madam

My name is ANUJ SINGH . I gave my GMAT on 23 July 2014 and ended up scoring a disappointing 590 (Q40,V30) second attempt . I had spent around 45-60 days to prepare for the GMAT and the preparation was mainly concentrated on quant and improving speed. The verbal part on the GMAT was a quite a trouble during the preparation days , specially trying to keep up pace.

What I intend to do now is to use this GMAT score coupled with the application and try to get an admit. I am planning to retake my GMAT again in November and if the score improves , then use the new scores for further applications.

My profile :

GMAT 590 (Q40,V30)

Class X : 81% ,
Class XII : 77.4%

Bachelor of Engineering in Computer Science : Overall 63.3% , with a final year %age of 70 [ Rajasthan Technical University ]

I have been searching around the net for the last 10-12 days in search of universities that take similar scores but it hasn't led me anywhere. Currently the university which I have in mind is Stuart School of Business at Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago

Aim : MS in IT and MS in Finance

I have queries on following points , it would be kind of you if you could answer them :

1. My first question is how much is the possibility of getting admission in MS in Finance with that GMAT score ? I ask this because I prefer MS In Finance over MS In Information Technology .

2. My second question is how much is the possibility of getting scholarship with that GMAT score if i apply for a MS program ? I ask this because it would be of great financial assistance to me. But at the same time, it is crucial for me to get admission for Spring 2015 semester .

My undergraduate course was not related to Finance and nor do I have prior work experience to apply to Masters In Finance . What should I do to increase my chances of getting admitted into my desired course in your reputed university?

I suppose, I do not have sufficient time to start to work on & finish projects or papers related to Masters In Finance

Do I stand a chance ? Also it would be great if you could suggest schools that have a good placement record and accept this score. I would like to secure an admit and then plan ahead .

Thank you very much for your assistance and I look forward to hear from you.

Sincerely,

ANUJ SINGH
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Finance: Financial Engg
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 580 Q48 V28
WE:Project Management (Other)
Send PM
Objective: Master of Science degree in Finance.
Education:
• GMAT 720 (Quantitative-49/79%, Verbal-40/91%, AWA: 5.5 & IR-3]
• B.E.in Electronics & Communication Cumulative GPA -7.27
o Course Highlights: Engineering Math I, II, III, IV, Calculus, Probability, Statistics,
o Management & Entrepreneurship, Intellectual Property Rights}

Skills: Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Project Manager 10, Matlab
Work Experience:
Finance Management Associate at Sankalp Associates (July2012-July-2014)
• Ganesh Warehouse Project [Project worth 1.15Cr or $153,000]:
 Bidding and acquisition of storage facility through Central Bank of India.
 Identified and Co-ordinated with the banks and was approved a bank loan of 1Cr for the bidding.
 Established a 5yr rent agreement @ 2.5 lacs/month with the Food Corporation of India for the same.
• Ramgharhi Canal lining: Construction of Cemented Canal Lining
[Project worth -6.5 Crore Rupees 0r $ 1,040,000 ] PWD M.P. State Govt.
 Assisted in planning of project Budget and Risk evaluation and Calculation using Microsoft Project Manager.
 Established and Maintained Supplier Accounts, processed invoices and maintained purchase orders.
 Maintained and tracked Project expenses, tracked progressed and weekly reported on Schedule and Cost variance and Efficiency (SPI, CPI) using Microsoft Project Manager, reducing Project Overflow Cost by 15%.

Lead Event Manager for Insignia’ 12, National level Event at SDMCET
[Project worth-4,000,000 rupees or $80000]
• Organized the complete event, leading a team of 5, with major contribution in procuring Sponsorship, financial accounting and book keeping.
• Established and maintained and accounts for the entire designing of web based registration system and on site registrations.
• Conducted post event audit of each dept.
• Budget Estimation of the entire event, including advertisements and event promotion expenses and registration costs 6 months in advance.
• Discerning the potential sponsors, establishing and maintaining contacts and follow ups.
• Defining the work distribution and Co-ordination with the department HOD’s and student council members.

I want to aim for the best possible schools, Can anyone give me an idea if applying to top schools will yield anything?
looking at schools like UCLA anderson, CMU, YALE, Kellog School of business.
Any suggestions are welcome. thank you.
Send PM
Expert Reply
qwerty12321 wrote:
Hi

I have applied for the ISB YLP. It requires me to upload my GMAT score report and marks. I gave the GMAT twice but the second time my score dropped.
My question is which score report schould I upload, the first one in which I got higher marks or the second one?

Please help. Deadline is near.

Thanks
:)

Hi!Without seeing the exact language on the site, I would say to just give the one where you got the higher marks.

However, if they are asking for you to upload all scores, then you might consider putting both. This is because, it might be that when the testing company sends them your scores, they automatically send BOTH scores, and in that case, you would not want to look like you were hiding something. This I'm not sure about, you should check with the testing company.

In any event, they are SUPPOSED to relate only to your highest score.

All the best,

Joy

Aringo.com

Send PM
Expert Reply
viditjindal wrote:

My GMAT score is 710.
Experience 50 months.
Age - 26
CGPA - 7.63/10

Hi Vidit,

Your profile looks excellent - great business, leadership, extracurricular activities. GMAT is above average as well. You've done a lot at a young age. Do some work on your resume - clean it up, try to emphasize the leadership experience, don't bury it at the bottom. Offer brief description of the places of employment; and try to impress us with the family business size or positioning. Regarding your goals, you'll need to make the connection between short and long term.

Good luck, and let me know if you need anything else!

Joy
Aringo.com

Send PM
Expert Reply
burningcole wrote:
Hey Joy,

Profile:
White, Male
GPA: 3.1 overall (essentially didn't go to class first two years, 3.75 GPA in upper class coursework, Major GPAs of 3.9 and 3.6)
Finance and Econ double major from non-Ivy top 20 US program.
GMAT: 720 (didn't really get a chance to study the first time so I'm retaking it in 1.5 weeks but work has been so crazy I haven't been able to study for it again) Hopefully, I can get it up to a 740/750-ish.

Decent extra-curriculars in college, plus Econ Tutor, and Finance TA.

Spent 2 years in Private Wealth Mgt for High Net Worth Individuals (at a boutique firm that the Ad Com's won't have heard about). Small firm (got raises every 6 months but no promotion due to size of firm (would have to jump from Analyst to VP).

Quit my job to try and pursue military (I wanted to deploy). Long story short some trivial medical issues kept delaying application/process. While working out a ton I coached high school basketball (Varsity Asst and JV Coach), coached summer league, and coached the youth feeder program. Basically, when everything was resolved I got an eye infection that lasted three months. At this point, I'd been out of the corporate world for a year; military was pulling out of Middle East (and major concerns about budget cuts). I had committed to coaching another season, when the season was over I found a job in RE valuation. Boutique firm that the Ad Coms have never heard of. After 18 month trainee program became associate. Job definitely has been great experience, worked on some really cool projects, recently named employee of the quarter. Also, awarded CFA charter recently. LOR should be strong. Will have 5.5 years work experience; currently 28.

Targets: U Washington (Foster), McCombs (Texas), UCLA, Duke (Fuqua), maybe Tuck (early action), Kellogg, Booth, Wharton, Notre Dame.

Post-MBA: Management consulting (finance/strategy), finance/strategy rotation program, or I-banking (real estate group)

Advice, I'm getting is all over the place. Some people say apply anywhere, others say definitely don't waste time/money/breath applying to H/S or Top 7.

Hi, probably H/S is out of reach, but if you have the money to spare, you might just apply to H. It's just one essay and a few recommendations, and you'll never have to wonder 'what if' - especially if you can get your GMAT up to what you think you can. I'll tell you - if you get over 740, you might apply to S as well, why not. That aside, you should then spread yourself out - apply to a few other top 10s - Chicago and Columbia, perhaps, since finance and consulting is in your path. Also check out Duke and Kellogg. Then you want to apply to a few lower-run schools, as mentioned above. Your greatest challenge will be creating your 'story' of the gap time when you were coaching; although I'll bet you can get some amazing stories about leadership, teamwork, management, etc. - things you will be able to take forward with you into any career. Another thing is I would try and connect your goals to your current job. Because you moved from wealth management to coaching to real estate valuation, it would be good if you want to continue on to something that relates to what you do now, rather than moving again to something new.

Good luck!

Joy
Aringo.com

Send PM
Expert Reply
mshrek wrote:
Hello,

Please evaluate my profile:

Pool: Indian Male/28yrs/Single/IT

Academics: Electrical engineer from IIT
GPA: 6.57/10 (not good as per IIT standards)
Extra Curricular:

College:
1.Few positions of responsibilities(head/sub-head) in cultural/technical fests and alumni meet at college.
2.Won few awards in intra college level socio-cultural competitions.
3.Won gold in intra IIT table tennis competetion(freshers), represented my hostel in different sports activities.

High School: won few olympiads at state level and national level. Represented school at national level painting competetion

Work Experience: 6years (2 years in BFSI, 2.5 years in Automated trading firm, 1.5 years in big data analytics firm)

Work Profile:
- No international experience but coordinated among teams spread across different demographies
- Worked mostly in high-tech domains

Area of interest : Finance, strategy, consulting, high-tech

Gmat: 710 (Q 51 V 34 ) IR :8

Volunteer Work: Few at organizational level for underprivileged kids (for 2 years). But currently not involved in any NGO/CSR activites.
Founded a start-up for artists( as I am passionate about the use of technology in arts)

This was my 3rd attempt at GMAT. Although I could have done better, esp. in verbal , I am in no mood of a retake now. I am pretty much exhausted by my work load and family life.

Target B-schools : Chicago booth/Kellogg MMM/UCLA/Duke/Cornell/Darden/Ross/Tuck

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi, your profile is good, though nothing 'jumps out' at me this moment. Of course, it might be that getting deeper inside what you've done, you have some great stories and accomplishments that will help you stand out. You need to look for them and highlight them on your resume, essays, and ask your recommenders to do the same. You come from an over-represented pool, as I'm sure you know, so you must do something to make them notice you.

The start-up sounds very interesting, shows initiative and leadership, so highlight that. Highlight any leadership in your job, and of course in the extracurricular activity.

Regarding goals, choose the one that makes the most sense in terms of your history, so you can show the connection.

In terms of school choice, the ones you are looking at are a stretch for you. You should definitely apply to some, but if you are determined to go to an MBA next year, I would also choose a few one-rung down, as safety schools. For the ones you wrote above, I would go for bigger intakes, so you have more chance, and/or ones that have a less international intake, in which case you will be more desirable.

Good luck!!

Joy
Aringo.com

Send PM
Expert Reply
kushwahanuj28 wrote:
Sir or Madam

My name is ANUJ SINGH . I gave my GMAT on 23 July 2014 and ended up scoring a disappointing 590 (Q40,V30) second attempt . I had spent around 45-60 days to prepare for the GMAT and the preparation was mainly concentrated on quant and improving speed. The verbal part on the GMAT was a quite a trouble during the preparation days , specially trying to keep up pace.

What I intend to do now is to use this GMAT score coupled with the application and try to get an admit. I am planning to retake my GMAT again in November and if the score improves , then use the new scores for further applications.

My profile :

GMAT 590 (Q40,V30)

Class X : 81% ,
Class XII : 77.4%

Bachelor of Engineering in Computer Science : Overall 63.3% , with a final year %age of 70 [ Rajasthan Technical University ]

I have been searching around the net for the last 10-12 days in search of universities that take similar scores but it hasn't led me anywhere. Currently the university which I have in mind is Stuart School of Business at Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago

Aim : MS in IT and MS in Finance

I have queries on following points , it would be kind of you if you could answer them :

1. My first question is how much is the possibility of getting admission in MS in Finance with that GMAT score ? I ask this because I prefer MS In Finance over MS In Information Technology .

2. My second question is how much is the possibility of getting scholarship with that GMAT score if i apply for a MS program ? I ask this because it would be of great financial assistance to me. But at the same time, it is crucial for me to get admission for Spring 2015 semester .

My undergraduate course was not related to Finance and nor do I have prior work experience to apply to Masters In Finance . What should I do to increase my chances of getting admitted into my desired course in your reputed university?

I suppose, I do not have sufficient time to start to work on & finish projects or papers related to Masters In Finance

Do I stand a chance ? Also it would be great if you could suggest schools that have a good placement record and accept this score. I would like to secure an admit and then plan ahead .

Thank you very much for your assistance and I look forward to hear from you.

Sincerely,

ANUJ SINGH

Dear Anuj,
I know how disappointing it is to score lower than you were hoping/expecting!
Regarding your questions, I'm afraid I won't be much help to you. My expertise is in the area of MBA applications, and about Master's in other areas, I know little. Perhaps there are other forums that can assist you - I wish you good luck!

Regards,

Joy
Aringo.com

GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  25   26   27   28   29   30   31  ...  75