Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 05:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 194 [0], given: 10

Reviews Badge
Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices [#permalink] New post 23 May 2008, 13:17
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (01:45) correct 37% (00:59) wrong based on 1090 sessions
Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging, the manufacturer has announced that it will cut production by closing its factories for two days a month.

A. Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging

B. Because of plunging prices for computer chips, which is due to an oversupply

C. Because computer chip prices have been sent plunging, which resulted from an oversupply

D. Due to plunging computer chip prices from an oversupply

E. Due to an oversupply, with the result that computer chip prices have been sent plunging

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I picked A on this one.But again there seem to be different OAs for this on the GMATCLUB. I am convinced by explanations by Vikram and Ak_IDC.
So lets open another can of worms :)

Trivikram

11-p257789?t=37246&hilit=Because+an+oversupply+of+computer+chips+has+sent+prices+plunging#p257789

ak_Idc

11-p257169?t=37246&hilit=Because+an+oversupply+of+computer+chips+has+sent+prices+plunging#p257169
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by goalsnr on 24 May 2008, 13:59, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 0

Re: SC-oversupply [#permalink] New post 23 May 2008, 14:07
This post was
BOOKMARKED
This is modifier problem. Here the first underlined part should modify the main subject "The Manufacturer" correctly. Except D no other option is modifying "the manufacturer" properly.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 0

Re: SC-oversupply [#permalink] New post 23 May 2008, 14:46
Stumbled on this!

A has idiom issue: Because of … is correct idiom, not because ....
So Answer is D.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

Re: SC-oversupply [#permalink] New post 23 May 2008, 15:14
Not too keen on 'plunging supplies from an oversupply'?
I would have picked A as well.
VP
VP

Reviews Badge
Re: SC-oversupply [#permalink] New post 24 May 2008, 07:34
abhijit_sen wrote:
This is modifier problem. Here the first underlined part should modify the main subject "The Manufacturer" correctly. Except D no other option is modifying "the manufacturer" properly.

I dont think "Due to plunging computer chip prices from an oversupply" is modifying the "manufacturer". The stmnt is not describing the manufacturer.
VP
VP

Reviews Badge
Re: SC-oversupply [#permalink] New post 24 May 2008, 07:38
hanumayamma wrote:
Stumbled on this!

A has idiom issue: Because of … is correct idiom, not because ....
So Answer is D.

Its Ok to use "because" at the beginning of the sentence.

http://www.bartleby.com/64/C001/015.html

because beginning a sentence. “Because I could not stop for Death—/He kindly stopped for me”. So begins one of Emily Dickinson’s most well-known poems, and so falls another of the more arbitrary rules of usage, which states that you should not begin a sentence with because. As Dickinson’s poem attests, there are occasions when because is perfectly appropriate as the opening word of a sentence. In fact, sentences beginning with because are quite common in written English
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 0

Re: SC-oversupply [#permalink] New post 24 May 2008, 09:33
straight D

Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging, the manufacturer has announced that it will cut production by closing its factories for two days a month.

A. Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices(which prices?) plunging -> not preferred, GMAT does not like statements that start with because

B. Because of plunging prices for computer chips, which is due to an oversupply-> awkward construction

C. Because computer chip prices have been sent plunging, which resulted from an oversupply

D. Due to plunging computer chip prices from an oversupply-> look at this as a cause and effect, cause is comp. chip prices crashed due to an oversupply and effect is...rest of the sentence

E. Due to an oversupply, with the result that computer chip prices have been sent plunging -> awkward

Persistence+Patience+Persistence+Patience=G...O...A...L

VP
VP

Reviews Badge
Re: SC-oversupply [#permalink] New post 24 May 2008, 14:01
prasannar wrote:
straight D

A. Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices(which prices?) plunging -> not preferred, GMAT does not like statements that start with because

B. Because of plunging prices for computer chips, which is due to an oversupply-> awkward construction

D. Due to plunging computer chip prices from an oversupply-> look at this as a cause and effect, cause is comp. chip prices crashed due to an oversupply and effect is...rest of the sentence

E. Due to an oversupply, with the result that computer chip prices have been sent plunging -> awkward

What is wrong with A? A sounds more gramatically correct than D
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 0

Re: SC-oversupply [#permalink] New post 24 May 2008, 20:03
Nothing in A but for a clear indication of prices bothers me, in case of two or more correct options, we need to pick the concise and easy one... again GMAT does not like statement that begin with Because..:)

Persistence+Patience+Persistence+Patience=G...O...A...L

Director
Director
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 25

Re: SC-oversupply [#permalink] New post 24 May 2008, 20:44
D.

I think A is wrong, because of the correct idiom should be "because of". D is concise.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [2] , given: 0

Re: SC-oversupply [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2008, 13:13
This post received
KUDOS

E. Due to an oversupply, with the result that computer chip prices have been sent plunging

I think the answer is A. D changes the orginial meaning of the sentence. A says that the manufacturer will cut production due to oversupply of computer chips.

D says that the manufacturer will cut production due to plunging computer prices.

Anyone else agree with me???

8-)

I'm very cheerful!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: SC-oversupply [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2008, 14:20
goalsnr wrote:

I picked A on this one. But the OA is D. But again there seem to be different OAs for this on the GMATCLUB. I am convinced by explanations by Vikram and Ak_IDC.
So lets open another can of worms :)

Trivikram

11-p257789?t=37246&hilit=Because+an+oversupply+of+computer+chips+has+sent+prices+plunging#p257789

ak_Idc

11-p257169?t=37246&hilit=Because+an+oversupply+of+computer+chips+has+sent+prices+plunging#p257169

On test day I would have picked B, cause I know that Because of is always preferred to Due to on GMAT!!!! :(
VP
VP

Reviews Badge
Re: SC-oversupply [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2008, 15:48
wawatan wrote:

I think the answer is A. D changes the orginial meaning of the sentence. A says that the manufacturer will cut production due to oversupply of computer chips.

D says that the manufacturer will cut production due to plunging computer prices.

Anyone else agree with me???

8-)

Agree ? Read my Original post ;-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 4

Re: SC-oversupply [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2008, 12:41
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A is the best not only from modifier point but A has parallel structure with rest of the sentence.
VP
VP
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 1

Re: SC-oversupply [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2008, 15:42
My 2 cents

GMAT test because of and due to

NOT

Because and Due to

That said, I looked at what made the manufacture cut down on production

OS or Price Plunge. Its the PP

This is clearly a modifier Q and if you ask the Q what is because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging, the answer is manufacturer cut production. Sentence not only misses of but also sounds as if OS made the manufacturer to cut down production

In D there is no such ambiguity. What is due to the Plunging computer chip prices?

Manufacturer decided to cut down production.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: SC-oversupply [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2011, 09:11
This post received
KUDOS
the OA is A. I am looking at the OG right now. I swear answers are always posted incorrectly on this forum (first time I am posting, but I keep seeing these errors...)

This sentence describes a causal sequence of events: The oversupply of chips caused prices to plunge, which in turn caused the manufacturer to announce factory closings to cut production. The clearest, most efficient way to express this sequence is to present the events in chronological order, as they occurred.

A Correct. Events are presented concisely, in chronological order.
B Because which refers to plural prices, it should be followed by are, not is.
C The violation of chronological order is confusing; reference of which is ambiguous.
D This backward description of the events behind the announcement of factory closings is confusing and awkward.
E Due to followed by with the result is redundant and unnecessarily wordy.

The correct answer is A.
VP
VP

Reviews Badge
Re: SC-oversupply [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2011, 05:03
vbansal wrote:
the OA is A. I am looking at the OG right now. I swear answers are always posted incorrectly on this forum (first time I am posting, but I keep seeing these errors...)

This sentence describes a causal sequence of events: The oversupply of chips caused prices to plunge, which in turn caused the manufacturer to announce factory closings to cut production. The clearest, most efficient way to express this sequence is to present the events in chronological order, as they occurred.

A Correct. Events are presented concisely, in chronological order.
B Because which refers to plural prices, it should be followed by are, not is.
C The violation of chronological order is confusing; reference of which is ambiguous.
D This backward description of the events behind the announcement of factory closings is confusing and awkward.
E Due to followed by with the result is redundant and unnecessarily wordy.

The correct answer is A.

Bansal, Can you please provide the question number and the version of the OG where you came across this SC problem? It will help other people to get correct information.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: SC-oversupply [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2011, 03:17
I totally agree with vbansal ... can't believe that people are posting questions without the official answers . Its very frustrating, especially for newcomers, to go through all incorrect "correct" answer choices and trying to figure out which one is correct.
VP
VP

Reviews Badge
Re: SC-oversupply [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2011, 12:58
deepaksharma1986 wrote:
I totally agree with vbansal ... can't believe that people are posting questions without the official answers . Its very frustrating, especially for newcomers, to go through all incorrect "correct" answer choices and trying to figure out which one is correct.

Deepaksharma,
If thats the case stick with the standard GMAC material and stop whining. Unless you have exhausted standard sources you should not even be looking at other material such as the 1000 series. Some questions don't have a OA or sometimes someone may not agree with the OA and so post a question. Discussion and debates help you learn better. Please dont discourage people from posting here.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: SC-oversupply [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2011, 13:04
This post received
KUDOS
I do not think it is whining. This is an OG problem. There is only 1 correct answer. The original poster of this thread stated that the official answer was D. He said:

"I picked A on this one. But the OA is D."

This is NOT correct. The answer is in fact A.

It is frustrating when someone posts a wrong answer as the OFFICIAL answer.
Re: SC-oversupply   [#permalink] 10 Mar 2011, 13:04