GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Oct 2018, 16:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Abhimahna's Secret No. 1: GMATClub Follow Functionality

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Abhimahna's Secret No. 1: GMATClub Follow Functionality  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2018, 06:42

GMATClub Follow Functionality

Do you know GMATClub has lots of resources that you really don't need any third party to improve your scores? But the thing is its an ocean. So, inorder to know how to get the most out of this ocean, you must know how to use it efficiently.

I am going to write all that I did to use this club to improve my final scores.

Note: This post is for those who are struggling in improving Verbal or Quant for a long time but have been unsuccessful to do so. I was also one of you and hence I can understand your feelings. Those who are just beginning their preparation can also get the most out of this post.

GMATNinja , Here is the 1st part of the answer to your query "Though like many of the others here, I'm still itchy to see what that composite turned out to be." (Taken from your post on my debrief). :)

Step 1: Start following the experts of the forums.

For Quant: Bunuel and chetan2u
For Verbal: GMATNinja , GMATNinjaTwo , daagh, VeritasPrepKarishma , mikemcgarry and sayantanc2k.

All you need to do is click on the follow button against each of the names I mentioned.

Attachment:
Bunuel.JPG
Bunuel.JPG [ 17.1 KiB | Viewed 9244 times ]

Make sure you are spending extra efforts on your weak areas first. So, I would prefer following the forum/experts of my weak areas first.

Step 2: Start following the respective forums.

For Quant: Open Problem Solving Forum and Data Sufficiency forum and start following them.
For Verbal: Open SC, RC and CR Forum and start following them.

You need to click on the button "Follow this forum" as below

Attachment:
DS.JPG
DS.JPG [ 17.39 KiB | Viewed 9237 times ]

Alright now you have done step 1 and step 2. You will start receiving emails whenever someone adds a new question or makes a post/reply on the exiting questions. What's next?

Step 3: Start solving those questions as well as try to answer others if they have any queries.

This step played a very important part during my preparation. Whenever I used to receive any question on my email, my steps were

a) Open the question on the browser.

b) Check whether I have done that question before (If you have done it before, you will see the stats in the timer).

c) If the question is new, start the timer and solve the question with right strategies.

d) If you are correct, awesome. Now, go back to what was posted for that particular question. If someone is asking something,try to answer that person on the basis of what you think..

The highlighted line really helped me go beyond my own thinking and understand what the other person was thinking and whether there is any flaw in what I was thinking or what the other person is thinking. If you think you found something and you answered the same, check that whether the other person is satisfied. If the other person doesn't come back or just give you kudos or say thanks that means he/she is convinced. It may happen that what you said was wrong. In that case one of other experts or users will surely try to answer the query. Once he/she does that, you will receive a notification for the same question again. I have been into so many big big discussions for a couple of questions in the past. But trust me, every discussion helped me get the better understanding of the concepts. Go back and see what other minds are saying.If your thinking was wrong, put that question in the error log to review later.

e) If you are wrong, put that question in error log and at the same time try to read what other explanations are saying. Learn those explanations and make notes of the missing information. Now, go ahead and answer the other person if you can.

For both d and e, I would say force yourself to think in that direction. Initially you may face alot many difficulties, but trust me this will gradually help you only.

Step 4: Try to solve all the questions that you receive in your email.

Don't pile them up. I would prefer solving them as and when they arrive or maybe 2-3 times in a day.

Step 5: Myth: I will solve all the pending questions tomorrow.

If say you received 100 questions on a particular day, but you could solve only 50 on that day, make sure you don't just delete those questions or keep them for to be done later. Trust me this won't work. You will never get that "later" time. This will only increase the count of unread emails in your inbox. Moreover, our forum has the functionality that if you receive an email but you don't open it using the link or directly on the forum, you won't receive further posts emails for that question in your inbox. We have implemented this functionality to avoid any spamming of your inbox.

Step 6:How to get rid of questions that you haven't completed on a particular day but still make sure you receive notification for that question in future?

Open every question on the browser even if you are not going to attempt it. This will ensure that you have visited that question. This way whenever someone makes a reply on that question in future, you will receive a notification and you can do that question at that time. My point is don't pile up your email with lots of questions. Trust me if you subscribe to above forums, you will receive 100s of questions in your inbox on a daily basis. So, keep your inbox with fresh questions only.

Step 7: Revisit your error log questions twice a week and try to solve them again.

If you are still facing problems, keep the question in RED and try to seek help from experts.

Benefits of this approach:

1. You can see how poor people like me can improve their scores drastically. Read my story here.

2. Making someone understand something will really force your brain to think in the right direction and thus get you a great score.

3. I heard alot about "God help those who help others". I am not sure about God but I think helping others really helped me.

4. If you start contributing, your efforts will be recognized and you may join the big network of awesome people who will always be there for you. Trust me these people are so helpful that they have become a part of my extended family.

STOP BEING A LURKER, START CONTRIBUTING. :)

Follow this approach for next 15 days and let me know how it goes. Be honest while following it.

Feel free to shoot out questions, if you have any.

ALL THE BEST. :)

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Check our new About Us Page here.

Director
Director
P
Re: Abhimahna's Secret No. 1: GMATClub Follow Functionality  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2018, 07:56
Hey abhimahna :) great post! "follow" is majic button :) What if i ask question an expert and he/she doesnt reply ? :)
Board of Directors
V

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2018, 08:49
dave13 wrote:
Hey abhimahna :) great post! "follow" is majic button :) What if i ask question an expert and he/she doesnt reply ? :)

Hey dave13 ,

Thank you. :)

If an expert doesn't reply that means he/she is busy but one of the experts will definitely reply in a few days. Also, that's where people who follow the above approach can help and contribute to the forum. :)

All the best. :thumbup:

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2018, 13:11
abhimahna wrote:
dave13 wrote:

Hey dave13 ,

Thank you. :)

If an expert doesn't reply that means he/she is busy but one of the experts will definitely reply in a few days. Also, that's where people who follow the above approach can help and contribute to the forum. :)

All the best. :thumbup:

abhimahna - Do you think i should tag Bunuel one more time (as reminder :-)) to answer my post ? :) https://gmatclub.com/forum/if-n-denotes ... l#p1992563
Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2018, 13:22
abhimahna - By the way are you sure that for verbal we need to follow VeritasPrepKarishma ? :? :-)
Board of Directors
V

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2018, 05:26
dave13 wrote:
abhimahna - Do you think i should tag Bunuel one more time (as reminder :-)) to answer my post ? :) https://gmatclub.com/forum/if-n-denotes ... l#p1992563

Hey dave13 ,

You posted the query yesterday. I would say wait for someone to respond. :)

dave13 wrote:
abhimahna - By the way are you sure that for verbal we need to follow VeritasPrepKarishma ? :? :-)

Yes, I have found some of her explanations very useful. One should follow her. :)

Study Buddy Forum Moderator
D
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2018, 04:05
dave13

Quote:
What if i ask question an expert and he/she doesnt reply ?

The best way to deal with this answer is : help mutually one another by viewing queries
on Unanswered / New Posts. While it is rational to expect immediate replies from one or
another expert, imagine for a moment yourself to be in their shoes and imagine PMs/
tags by students to them. Hope you also understand the limitations of the same.

I feel that identifying best solutions by members on forums and tagging them in addtion
to experts shall in fact reduce a lot of load on latter and we shall be internally developing
ourselves as subject experts in course of time. I believe all experts are humble enough to see this through. :-)

You and every other person shall in fact remember things lot better when explained the
same to others.

abhimahna much needed post :thumbup:

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2018, 13:15
First of all, abhimahna, an excellent post! Thank you very much for writing all this up. This will be very helpful to folks in the GC community! :-)

I wanted to add a few more thoughts.

I want to reiterate and emphasize abhimahna's point--you learn by doing. Looking at a problem and the solution and simply thinking, "that makes sense" is virtually useless. Doing the problem and finding the answer yourself is a much much better test of whether you understand.

If you get the question correct, don't stop there. Did you get the question correct for the right reasons? For a math question--do you understand how typical math mistake might lead to some of the other answers? For a verbal question--do you understand specifically why each wrong answer is wrong?

If you get the question wrong, the scanning the solution and thinking "Oh, I get this now" is virtually worthless. Consider the effort you put in the question trying to solve it--you have to put at least that much effort into reviewing the question. I like abhimahna's recommendation of an error log--for more on this, see this post:
Studying for the GMAT: Learning from Your Mistakes

Finally, I want to make the point--in the ocean that is GMAT Club, you could find absolutely all the information you need to get a 700+. Similarly, if you signed up for Magoosh, MGMAT, Veritas, etc. you would get a similar treasure-trove of information. Most of the students who study for the GMAT manage to get access to most of this information, but only about 10% cross that magic 700+ threshold. This is often under-appreciated. Getting the information in front of your face is far less than half the battle. A much greater part of it involves what you are going to do to remember, retain, and assimilate that information so that eventually you own it. This is where the habits of excellence come in. Many students assume that if they get all the info, that's more or less what the need. In fact, getting access the information is just the start--it takes so much dedication and commitment to rise to the challenge, each time, of doing everything you can to retain and remember that information. There's no way to mail this in. You have to show up 100%, ready to put in blood, sweat, and tears. Excellence is not something you can do on the side. Excellence comes from the heart.

Please let me know if anyone wants to discuss any of this further.

Mike McGarry :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2018, 03:45
By the way Bunuel`s profile pic reminds me of Zeus :) :)
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2018, 09:48
Thank you abhimahna for this post.
Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2018, 12:04
I wonder what is Abnimanha`s number 2 secret ? :) its time to reveal :)
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GPA: 3.2

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2018, 00:31
Very Useful article. Thank you Abhimahna. Good Luck!!
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V35

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2018, 17:47
Great post, abhimahna it was much needed.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2018, 22:11
abhimahna mikemcgarry god bless you guys for sharing the wisdom. abhimahna just started following you brother and read a few of your posts.

1. Well Begun is Half done
2. He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not ask a question remains a fool forever.
3. The night is darkest just before the dawn

Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2018, 21:38
Hi Abhi, great post by the way. Thanks for the help. I stopped working on the emails and I am not getting them anymore!! :( How do I get them coming to my inbox again?! Feels like a bad breakup :(

Do What Your Heart Says....

Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2018, 05:46
MrCleantek wrote:
Hi Abhi, great post by the way. Thanks for the help. I stopped working on the emails and I am not getting them anymore!! :( How do I get them coming to my inbox again?! Feels like a bad breakup :(

The way that all forums work, is if you get a notification for a discussion or a forum and don't visit it, you will not get additional notifications.
Thus, if you stopped receiving emails, please visit the forums/discussions you wish to be notified about (that you are already following) and that will reset the process.

Thanks!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Quant OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2018, 07:55
bb, abhimahna thx.
If an expert says then you do it. Done :)

:-) Non-Allergic To Kudos :-)

Board of Directors
P

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2018, 09:33
Top Contributor
bb wrote:
MrCleantek wrote:

The way that all forums work, is if you get a notification for a discussion or a forum and don't visit it, you will not get additional notifications.
Thus, if you stopped receiving emails, please visit the forums/discussions you wish to be notified about (that you are already following) and that will reset the process.

Thanks!

A rule as old as the world is.............. :-)

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2018, 17:50
Great post, abhimahna. Thnx!
mikemcgarry thnx for sharing your thoughts
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2018, 17:58
abhimahna, any suggestion how to maintain an error log for GC forum questions
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Abhimahna's Secret No. 1: GMATClub Follow Functionality &nbs [#permalink] 28 Apr 2018, 17:58

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 23 posts ] 

Abhimahna's Secret No. 1: GMATClub Follow Functionality

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap