Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 03:05 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 03:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5429 [13]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 690 Q55 V45
GRE 1: Q167 V153
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5429 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Re: Welcome to Visa Forum for International Applicants [#permalink]
Thanks for reply mate.

What is stem course? That means one year study plus one year OpT or 2 years study plus 2 years OpT.

However website says all F1 applicant gets 60 months visa validity.

Posted from my mobile device
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5429 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey KCP479 ,

STEM is an acronym for the fields of science, technology, engineering and math.

So, if you do any course that touches above fields, you will be considered for 2 years course + 3 years OPT.

Other than that, rule is simple: MBA duration + 1 year OPT.

I hope that helps. :-)
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [2]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Kudos
abhimahna wrote:
Hey KCP479 ,

So, if you do any course that touches above fields, you will be considered for 2 years course + 3 years OPT.

Nice Forum abhimahna :thumbup:

I would like to highlight important piece of info as people may miss your point. Any STEM program MUST be declared officially as STEM. Some people assume that the program is STEM just because of some scientific courses or math courses. STEM program has a registered number at the government.

Also the STEM could be 1 Year of study (or other duration such as PHD) but the critical point is that it is 3 years OPT.

I hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you so much guys for replies. How about 11 months MBA? They got 1 year OPT as well? Same as other MBA courses?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 18
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V30
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Hi abhimahna,

What do you think about the current visa scenario in the USA. Many of my friends who did a non-STEM course (e.g. LLM, Environment Policy, etc) are finding it very hard to find a job. One was a batch a topper and still could not land a job. Companies look hesitant to hire international students. Is it the same for MBA grads?

I would really like to hear your views on this.
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
j.shivank wrote:
Hi abhimahna,

What do you think about the current visa scenario in the USA. Many of my friends who did a non-STEM course (e.g. LLM, Environment Policy, etc) are finding it very hard to find a job. One was a batch a topper and still could not land a job. Companies look hesitant to hire international students. Is it the same for MBA grads?

I would really like to hear your views on this.

You can read the recent article. It may help getting a closer look. My advice is to target big schools.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-worker ... 1533124800
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V38
GRE 1: Q161 V164
Send PM
abhimahna wrote:
Hey KCP479 ,

if stem gets that much more, why would anyone do MBA over a stem course?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General Management, International Business
Send PM
Even a international student with STEM degree finds it hard, because of the change in H1B policy. Don't pin your hope on visa. Gaining knowledge from the program should be our motto.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: Duke '21 (A)
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Hi,

I have been admitted to Fuqua daytime MBA program. I am an Indian citizen and was rejected a B2 visa in July’18. I also have a relative in US (green card holder) and I mentioned his details in my previous VISA application. How should I prepare myself for the VISa interview, considering I have double fold disadvantage:
1) Have been rejected US visa once already
2) have a cousin living in the US

Also do I need to apply for loan before going in for my VISA interview? In there a minimum amount that should be kept in my bank account at the time of my interview.
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8833 [0]
Given Kudos: 3034
GRE 1: Q168 V154
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Welcome to Visa Forum for International Applicants [#permalink]
Expert Reply
lakshaychopranitj wrote:
Hi,

I have been admitted to Fuqua daytime MBA program. I am an Indian citizen and was rejected a B2 visa in July’18. I also have a relative in US (green card holder) and I mentioned his details in my previous VISA application. How should I prepare myself for the VISa interview, considering I have double fold disadvantage:
1) Have been rejected US visa once already
2) have a cousin living in the US

Also do I need to apply for loan before going in for my VISA interview? In there a minimum amount that should be kept in my bank account at the time of my interview.

Hi lakshaychopranitj,

I am no expert in visa forum but I would like to let you know my opinion from my experience with US visa.

Having a cousin living in the US is not a disadvantage. In fact, it is good that you mentioned it in the past application. I don't think this is the reason for your past visa rejection.

During your past visa interview, you might have received a letter citing the reason for your visa rejection. Just make sure how you are going to explain why that reason is not an issue.

Also, I guess you should have some proof of funds to show to the Visa officer about how you are going to fund your MBA like any scholarship/fellowship you have received etc. I carried a letter from my sponsor as financing proof for my interview.

You will receive a lot of help from Duke admissions office regarding your visa. They must have helped many India applicants in this matter. I advise you to reach out to them.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5429 [1]
Send PM