GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Sep 2018, 17:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Importance of an Error Log

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Importance of an Error Log  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2018, 11:26

How to use Error Logs during your preparation?

Background

I hear a lot many people struggling with the preparation. I was one of you few months ago. One common problem that I found in almost 90% of us is that we don't really know the importance of Error Logs during our preparation. Even if some of us know Error Logs are important, we don't really know how to use really use them. Today, I want to share my views on how important Error Logs are and how you should use them efficiently. Error Logs are critical and that's why we built an Error Log on GMAT Club.

What is an Error Log?

Simple definition - An error log is a tool that we use to track all our mistakes during our preparation and revisit them to learn and improve. If this tool is used effectively, it can do wonders, especially for those who are struggling and don't know how to improve. Few days ago, we (GMAT Club Team) implemented an inbuilt error log functionality, which can be fully utilized to follow all the strategies I am going to mention below. More details are here.

How should I use it during my preparation? Tips from abhimahna !

Okay, enough of theory. Let's come to its practical use. I am going to share some key Error Log Strategies along with study plan that I used and some strategies that I suggested alot many people in the past one year. I have seen people improving their scores from 650s to 700s within just 2-3 weeks and yes, error logs played a very important role in their success. You need to understand that Error Logs are very very important than doing tons of questions.

1. Learn all the basic theoretical stuff either online on GMATClub or by joining any good course or maybe buying some books.

2. In addition, learn all the strategies of how to attack each type of question on GMAT, especially verbal questions.

3. Make sure you do some practice questions whenever you are learning any strategies. For example, if I learn how to attach a Bold Face question, I will do 5-10-15 boldfaced questions until I get comfortable applying the strategy I learned.

4. This way cover all the topics along with some practice questions within a month or so. Don't extend the timelines as this may lead to frustration.

5. Make sure you are tracking all the mistakes you were doing. All you have to do is to "Add Notes" against the questions that you got wrong or maybe got it right but took alot of time or maybe you got it right but not sure why the wrong answers were wrong.

6. Step 1-5 should be followed every Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

7. Now, every Thursday, Friday and Saturday should be utilized to revisit the error logs.

8. All you need to do is first attempt the questions that you did the entire week(only the ones where you added notes as per suggestion at Step 5) and then see which all mistakes did you repeat.

9. It may happen that this time you made a new mistake, keep a note of such questions.

10. Prepare flashcards to highlight the mistakes that you repeated the 2nd time and start revisiting those flashcards every morning such that those things should move from your conscious to unconscious.

11. Make sure while revisiting/doing any question you are following the strategies I mentioned at Step 3 here.

12. Focus on getting the accuracy first and then worry about timings. I have seen alot many people worry about timings but don't bother about accuracy. Rule is simple: You didn't start driving the car with the speed of 100 miles per hour, right? You must have increased your speed once you got comfortable driving it.

13. Sunday should be taken as a complete day off. No Study- Just relax and chill.

14. Once you feel you know every theoretical concept, start following the time based strategies - meaning make sets of questions and do everything in a single sitting. Very similar to a individual section Mock test.

15. Once timed sets are done, revisit all your mistakes, make notes and understand what went wrong.

16. Again start revisiting the error logs as I mentioned above and drill down what made you go wrong.

17. Enjoy the success!

Tip: Go for Quality of study rather than Quantity. For example, If you do 100 SC questions, you MUST know 400 reasons of why those 400 answer choices were wrong rather than just understanding why those 100 answer choices were correct. If you do that, trust me you will see huge improvement in your score.

Other resources

While the error log format I used to improve from V21 to V40 was exactly the same we implemented on GMATClub, there are a large number of other formats available on the forum. But my point is whichever format you use during your preparation, use it as the MOST important component of your preparation. Analyse it, drill it and just eat it. Some of the resources are listed below:

1. Error Logs made by members - Format 1 with timer, Format 2 with timer and other collection.

2. Magoosh Suggested GMAT Companion.

3. GMAT Toolkit for Mobile Apps.

Attachment:
Errors.png
Errors.png [ 83.49 KiB | Viewed 17066 times ]

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Magoosh Discount CodesMath Revolution Discount CodesOptimus Prep Discount Codes
VP
VP
V
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Re: Importance of an Error Log  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2018, 06:37
Let me be the first to appreciate the thread. You have really touched the nerve of majority of test takers :-D.

I am also using your RC strategy and seeing the improvements, though RC preparation is a painful job as it makes you mad :sad:

QZ

"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: ESSEC '22
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V34
GPA: 3
WE: Editorial and Writing (Entertainment and Sports)

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2018, 23:49
This is a really great post. I had maintained an error log during my first attempt but I didn't really use it to it's full potential. Hopefully implementing this strategy will help me in my next attempt. :)
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2018, 10:44
abhimahna
Integration of the Error log in GC is great! Awesome work!
I do have a suggestion.
Is it possible to add a filter for notes, so that users can select only questions with notes? You may already have this planned, but just thought it might be useful
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2018, 00:08
Thank you for sharing this great post

Turn Your Idea Into a Website-ksoftcloud.com

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2018, 13:29
A very important aspect of GMAT preparation. In fact, I maintained a separate error log for all the mock tests I took. There are many questions that you tend to answer wrongly only in the simulated environment. It is worth paying extra attention to these.

http://aidmit.com/

INSEAD CLASS OF 19J

Founder, Aidmit.com
We help you secure MBA Admit

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q43 V30
GPA: 3.95
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2018, 11:45
abhimahna

So I have solved all the questions of OG16, prep 1,prep 2,prep3,prep 4

I have a list of questions, which I have got wrong. So now my aim should be to go through them every week right?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2018, 12:53
I will share how I used my error log-
(1) My error log would contain all the questions that I got wrong + all the questions I was tentative but I still got right.
(2) I would review these questions and once I was sure that I knew the concept behind a particular set of questions and that I would never get them wrong again, I would exclude them from my error log.

http://aidmit.com/

INSEAD CLASS OF 19J

Founder, Aidmit.com
We help you secure MBA Admit

Board of Directors
V

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2018, 16:08
saurabh9gupta wrote:
abhimahna

So I have solved all the questions of OG16, prep 1,prep 2,prep3,prep 4

I have a list of questions, which I have got wrong. So now my aim should be to go through them every week right?

Till the time you understand and remember the “kind” of mistake you made!

Posted from my mobile device

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2018, 09:30
Thanks for sharing this, I was not planning on using it before but I will do now!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2018, 10:42
AkshdeepS wrote:
Let me be the first to appreciate the thread. You have really touched the nerve of majority of test takers :-D.

I am also using your RC strategy and seeing the improvements, though RC preparation is a painful job as it makes you mad :sad:

QZ

Hi AkshdeepS, would you share this strategy? Im in need for one.

Thanks!!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2018, 10:39
abhimahna wrote:

How to use Error Logs during your preparation?

Background

I hear a lot many people struggling with the preparation. I was one of you few months ago. One common problem that I found in almost 90% of us is that we don't really know the importance of Error Logs during our preparation. Even if some of us know Error Logs are important, we don't really know how to use really use them. Today, I want to share my views on how important Error Logs are and how you should use them efficiently. Error Logs are critical and that's why we built an Error Log on GMAT Club.

What is an Error Log?

Simple definition - An error log is a tool that we use to track all our mistakes during our preparation and revisit them to learn and improve. If this tool is used effectively, it can do wonders, especially for those who are struggling and don't know how to improve. Few days ago, we (GMAT Club Team) implemented an inbuilt error log functionality, which can be fully utilized to follow all the strategies I am going to mention below. More details are here.

How should I use it during my preparation? Tips from abhimahna !

Okay, enough of theory. Let's come to its practical use. I am going to share some key Error Log Strategies along with study plan that I used and some strategies that I suggested alot many people in the past one year. I have seen people improving their scores from 650s to 700s within just 2-3 weeks and yes, error logs played a very important role in their success. You need to understand that Error Logs are very very important than doing tons of questions.

1. Learn all the basic theoretical stuff either online on GMATClub or by joining any good course or maybe buying some books.

2. In addition, learn all the strategies of how to attack each type of question on GMAT, especially verbal questions.

3. Make sure you do some practice questions whenever you are learning any strategies. For example, if I learn how to attach a Bold Face question, I will do 5-10-15 boldfaced questions until I get comfortable applying the strategy I learned.

4. This way cover all the topics along with some practice questions within a month or so. Don't extend the timelines as this may lead to frustration.

5. Make sure you are tracking all the mistakes you were doing. All you have to do is to "Add Notes" against the questions that you got wrong or maybe got it right but took alot of time or maybe you got it right but not sure why the wrong answers were wrong.

6. Step 1-5 should be followed every Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

7. Now, every Thursday, Friday and Saturday should be utilized to revisit the error logs.

8. All you need to do is first attempt the questions that you did the entire week(only the ones where you added notes as per suggestion at Step 5) and then see which all mistakes did you repeat.

9. It may happen that this time you made a new mistake, keep a note of such questions.

10. Prepare flashcards to highlight the mistakes that you repeated the 2nd time and start revisiting those flashcards every morning such that those things should move from your conscious to unconscious.

11. Make sure while revisiting/doing any question you are following the strategies I mentioned at Step 3 here.

12. Focus on getting the accuracy first and then worry about timings. I have seen alot many people worry about timings but don't bother about accuracy. Rule is simple: You didn't start driving the car with the speed of 100 miles per hour, right? You must have increased your speed once you got comfortable driving it.

13. Sunday should be taken as a complete day off. No Study- Just relax and chill.

14. Once you feel you know every theoretical concept, start following the time based strategies - meaning make sets of questions and do everything in a single sitting. Very similar to a individual section Mock test.

15. Once timed sets are done, revisit all your mistakes, make notes and understand what went wrong.

16. Again start revisiting the error logs as I mentioned above and drill down what made you go wrong.

17. Enjoy the success!

Tip: Go for Quality of study rather than Quantity. For example, If you do 100 SC questions, you MUST know 400 reasons of why those 400 answer choices were wrong rather than just understanding why those 100 answer choices were correct. If you do that, trust me you will see huge improvement in your score.

Other resources

While the error log format I used to improve from V21 to V40 was exactly the same we implemented on GMATClub, there are a large number of other formats available on the forum. But my point is whichever format you use during your preparation, use it as the MOST important component of your preparation. Analyse it, drill it and just eat it. Some of the resources are listed below:

1. Error Logs made by members - Format 1 with timer, Format 2 with timer and other collection.

2. Magoosh Suggested GMAT Companion.

3. GMAT Toolkit for Mobile Apps.

Attachment:
Errors.png

Thanks for this useful post

[[[[8. All you need to do is first attempt the questions that you did the entire week(only the ones where you added notes as per suggestion at Step 5) and then see which all mistakes did you repeat.]]]

error log contains all the practiced questions...how to select the ones only with notes?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2018, 03:04
Great post!!

Error log is very helpful with not only analyzing the incorrect answers but also analyzing why I got the answers right. Helps reinforce the correct approach.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT Date: 06-13-2017
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2018, 08:16
What a Post dude....Great Insights...
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2018, 08:30
Thanks for this post. Will be adding to my prep strategy from here on!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Guanghua '16
GMAT 1: 200 Q2 V15

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2018, 00:40
Thanks Alot . :) :)

This is a really great post. Hopefully implementing this strategy will help my paper attempt.

IELTS Coaching : http://www.shikshainstitute.info/

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Schools: Haas '21, Tuck '21
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.9

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2018, 13:48
i agree with the fact that an error log is essential
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Importance of an Error Log &nbs [#permalink] 22 Sep 2018, 13:48

Importance of an Error Log

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR SEPTEMBER
e-GMAT: Free 30 day Access! 25+ Video Lessons | 400+ Practice Questions | 7 Free Webinars
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap