Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 02:10 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 02:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5429 [3]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Optional Practical Training (OPT) Discussion [#permalink]
PP627 wrote:
pinetree22 wrote:
Hi there, I would like to start with this question: Can I travel internationally during OPT period (after getting accepted OPT and before the end date)? I have heard from the grapevine that during the OPT period, OPT holders should not travel outside the U.S. as they may encounter some difficulty to enter the U.S. Is this true?

It is absolutely possible to travel internationally. Occasionally you might experience some minor difficulties, but it's rather on the inconvenience side of things than actually impacting your travel plans. Hope this helps!

Thank you for the information!
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5429 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
pinetree22 wrote:
Hi there, I would like to start with this question: Can I travel internationally during OPT period (after getting accepted OPT and before the end date)? I have heard from the grapevine that during the OPT period, OPT holders should not travel outside the U.S. as they may encounter some difficulty to enter the U.S. Is this true?

Hey pinetree22 ,

Thank you for the question. Yes, you can absolutely travel internationally but make sure you carry your EAD card with you. You won't face any difficulty if you have your job offer letter, EAD card and updated I20 with you. I hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you for the question
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 286 [1]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Marketing, Sustainability
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Some schools have some Stem-designated enrichment courses like Business Analytics. In that case will my job have to be centred around business analytics to get the extension.

Posted from my mobile device
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5429 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
blowice27 wrote:
Some schools have some Stem-designated enrichment courses like Business Analytics. In that case will my job have to be centred around business analytics to get the extension.

Hey blowice27 ,

As per my understanding, I think as long as your post MBA related is somehow related to your MBA major, you should be good. For example, let's say you majored in Consulting and you also did take analytics courses, you will be fine to work either as a consultant or as someone who has alot of analytics work. I hope that helps!
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Expert Reply
Both my international clients want to startup in business school and obviously do that full time post graduation. What are the OPT rules on that, do they have to be employed by a certain company? If so, what are the options that would allow them to stay in the US? What are the options with a J visa if you happen to know? I can chat with my ex roomie at Tulane Law who is an immigration attorney but have been hitting her hard the past couple weeks.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
I would like to know if a transfer student only to complete one single academic year at an USCIS approved school could be eligible to apply for OPT?
Board of Directors
Send PM
Expert Reply
luongq1 wrote:
I would like to know if a transfer student only to complete one single academic year at an USCIS approved school could be eligible to apply for OPT?

Hey luongq1 ,

Thank you for the question. USCIS requires us to complete a minimum of 12 months of study before starting working on OPT. So, as long as you are fulfilling the requirements, I believe you should be good. All the best!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 152
Send PM
I have a question: Do we get directly three years of OPT or the first one year then again we have to extend it for two years?
Board of Directors
Send PM
Expert Reply
Praful2910 wrote:
I have a question: Do we get directly three years of OPT or the first one year then again we have to extend it for two years?

Hey Praful2910 ,

Thank you for the question. If you have a STEM degree, you get it for 3 years at the first time itself. No need to of requesting extension after 1 year. I hope that helps!

Good luck! :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
markano wrote:
Thank you for the question

thanks
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi! Did anyone forgot to update one of the supervisors when you are working with multiple supervisors under the same employer? For example forgot to update the last day of the employment when you were under OPT. I am under Extension of OPT right now. I contacted DSO and she requested a ticket but it was refused bc it happened one year ago. How does it work? Did it affect your change of status?

GMAT Club Bot