Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 04:05 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 04:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63679 [682]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32885 [1]
Given Kudos: 4456
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2334 [11]
Given Kudos: 135
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT Focus 1:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT Focus 2:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GRE 1: Q170 V168
Send PM
Re: GMAT Ninja's CR Guide for Beginners [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
GMATNinja Excellent advice!

Frankly, I say more or less the same things to my students. However, you've put all of this in an organized manner here. In my very first session on CR, one of the earliest slides has one word in a very large font: "Precision". I tell the students that this is what GMAT CR (and even GMAT RC and SC) is all about. If you can read things precisely, as they are given, you are more or less done. I think my job in CR not to teach any concepts but to calibrate the thinking of the students. It's about reading 'sharply'.

I'll be referring my students to this post. I believe the fact that the same ideas are coming from an 800-scorer would strengthen my argument! :)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [1]
Given Kudos: 199
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
Thank you GMATNinja

This is single most important "Bookmark" for CR consolidating not only great piece of advise but also most important links for CR.

Was wondering do you have similar post for SC as well?

Tag: carcass
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63679 [1]

Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Thank you for the kind words, ChiranjeevSingh and ydmuley!

ydmuley wrote:

Yes, I'm working on a similar post for SC! It's turning out to be one heck of a task to write a concise beginner's guide to SC -- the darned thing keeps wanting to become an entire textbook. Will hopefully have it ready sometime in July... :)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Thank you for the kind words, ChiranjeevSingh and ydmuley!

ydmuley wrote:

Yes, I'm working on a similar post for SC! It's turning out to be one heck of a task to write a concise beginner's guide to SC -- the darned thing keeps wanting to become an entire textbook. Will hopefully have it ready sometime in July... :)

Thank you GMATNinja, I will be eagerly waiting for the post. I hope it comes out in first week of July so that I have enough time to make the most of it.
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1240 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja,

On a lighter note, I am sure following two quotes will definitely be there in SC guide:
a. Never trust your ears. The sentence that does sound right might well be a recipe for disaster
and a correct option may sound as crappy as it might get.
b. Look for incorrect options and crossing the out rather than finding correct choice.
LOl!! :lol:

WR,
Arpit.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
As usual, amazing article GMATNinja. I have a question. On some of the 95% level official questions (really tough ones) - noticed that there is an option (correct one) wherein we have to think from A--> B --> C.

B and C is in the argument. I don't have an example to point out at this time but something such as market is down --> sales worsened --> company closed down. Probably much more dense than the above frivolous example.

How do we tackle those? When we have to stay within the argument, how can we assume some things for a given option to join that missing link. I faced this problem wherein how far should I assume while staying within the argument and not bringing in a real world experience.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63679 [2]

Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
warriorguy wrote:
As usual, amazing article GMATNinja. I have a question. On some of the 95% level official questions (really tough ones) - noticed that there is an option (correct one) wherein we have to think from A--> B --> C.

B and C is in the argument. I don't have an example to point out at this time but something such as market is down --> sales worsened --> company closed down. Probably much more dense than the above frivolous example.

How do we tackle those? When we have to stay within the argument, how can we assume some things for a given option to join that missing link. I faced this problem wherein how far should I assume while staying within the argument and not bringing in a real world experience.

Thank you for the kind words, warriorguy!

Unfortunately, I'm not sure that there's a good answer to your question unless we have a couple of official examples in front of us. I can say some generic things that are perfectly true: don't let the "real world" get in the way of your GMAT, and don't make up assumptions. But of course, the trickiest GMAT questions will try to tempt you into making assumptions, or thinking about stuff you know from the "real world."

So there's no single, easy answer to your question. If you have a particular (official!) example in mind, let me know, and we can take a look.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
@GMATNinja Hi, I like your article about reading precision. As a non-native speaker, I did find that I made many mistakes due to wrong reading understanding in CR; insufficient comprehension in SC etc. Sometimes know every word but can't get the meaning is also one of the major barrier as a non-native speaker, or need to read repeatedly to figure out the meaning while it is luxury in GMAT. Anything can be done to improve reading precision thus to avoid careless error and panic during the test ?. Any coach on this area ? Thanks.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
I understand that you need to get the actual message from the argument in a critical way. Nevertheless, since there are too many details, we need a system or a method to attack the argument.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 24
WE:Sales (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Kudos
Awesome , just the perfect thread to participate . Thanks a lot for this Gmat Ninja.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
WE:Sales (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Ninja,

Do you have specific any sessions coming , which is going to address Assumption questions of CR ? I'm making lot of errors in this. Have started going through your videos . I think , Assumption is something , which makes the conclusion right . But on the other hand I'm mixing it up with Inference pattern and it's getting jumbled up.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63679 [2]

Send PM
Kudos