Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 05:05 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 05:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63691 [408]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [3]
Given Kudos: 370
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63691 [1]

Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 125
Send PM
Experts' Topic of the Week, 5/29/17: No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms [#permalink]
Hi GMATNinja

I have a general question about idioms: What's the point in learning tens or hundreds of idioms if there is a bunch of other - less familiar - idioms that it is impossible (almost :)) to learn? let's assume that i have learned all the correct idioms in some GMAT resources. I face a question that tests idioms (solely or together with some other issues) and identify one of the correct idiom-usage i have learned. How doe's it help me to eliminate choices that dose not include the idiom i have learned but different versions? How the idioms knowledge helps me to decide that the other usage are wrong. in other words, it seems that even if i'll learn a bunch of idioms it will not help me to eliminate choices on idioms grounds. So what the hack? What is the value in learning idioms if it dose not allow me to eliminate choices on idioms grounds? ? I want to learn the idioms if its worth something (even if not much) but i struggle to understand what its worth :)
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63691 [3]

Send PM
Re: Experts' Topic of the Week, 5/29/17: No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
oryahalom wrote:
Hi GMATNinja

I have a general question about idioms: What's the point in learning tens or hundreds of idioms if there is a bunch of other - less familiar - idioms that it is impossible (almost :)) to learn? let's assume that i have learned all the correct idioms in some GMAT resources. I face a question that tests idioms (solely or together with some other issues) and identify one of the correct idiom-usage i have learned. How doe's it help me to eliminate choices that dose not include the idiom i have learned but different versions? How the idioms knowledge helps me to decide that the other usage are wrong. in other words, it seems that even if i'll learn a bunch of idioms it will not help me to eliminate choices on idioms grounds. So what the hack? What is the value in learning idioms if it dose not allow me to eliminate choices on idioms grounds? ? I want to learn the idioms if its worth something (even if not much) but i struggle to understand what its worth :)

Yeah, you basically captured the heart of the article in your post! There's a nearly limitless supply of idioms in English. Sure, if you memorize 300 of them, you might see some of them. And it's possible that one of them will be the KEY to getting a particular question right. That absolutely can happen.

It's just a question of whether you think it's worth your time to study those idioms, just for a relatively low-percentage chance that you see one of the idioms that you happened to study. As I mentioned in the article, I think that studying idioms should NEVER come at the expense of more important topics (parallelism, pronouns, comparisons, modifiers, etc.), but if you're a super-student who likes memorization and has some hours to burn, then learning some idioms might help. In theory, if you learn enough of them, you'll increase your odds of seeing one of them in a key spot on your exam. It's just that most GMAT test-takers have more important weaknesses to worry about.

Bottom line: if memorizing idioms doesn't sound appealing to you and you have other things to learn... focus on learning those other things first.

I hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [2]
Given Kudos: 135
Send PM
Experts' Topic of the Week, 5/29/17: No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi GMATNinja,

Could you please help me to solve the following question without taking into account idioms.

New genetic evidence — together with recent studies of elephants’ skeletons, tusks, and other anatomical features — provide compelling support for classifying Africa’s forest elephants and its savanna elephants as separate species.

A. provide compelling support for classifying
B. provide compelling support for the classification of
C. provides compelling support to the classification of
D. provides compelling support for classifying
E. provides compelling support to classify

My reasoning is as follows:

First of all, there is a subject verb agreement error in A and B as New genetic evidence is singular. So A&B gone.

In C, to the classification of is more wordier than support for classifying in D and support to classify in E. So C is out too.

Coming to D and E, according to VAN principle, if we can communicate the idea of a sentence with verb form as well as noun form, we should prefer verb form. Therefore, I selected E (without considering subtle meaning difference). Almost all the explanations given in this form, however, stress the usage of idiom "support to" and "support for". One thing comes to my mind other than the idioms is that "to" can also be used to show purpose. So, New genetic evidence........ provides compelling support to classify something is somewhat nonsensical. The purpose of evidence is to classify something? Seems a little bit shaky. Based on this reasoning we can choose "for classifying".

Is there any other error that can help us to choose between D and E?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63691 [1]

Send PM
Re: Experts' Topic of the Week, 5/29/17: No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms [#permalink]