It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 02:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

QOTD: The list of animals

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 17668 [3], given: 1986

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
QOTD: The list of animals [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2017, 11:14
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (00:51) correct 33% (00:56) wrong based on 577 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 23: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

The list of animals that exhibits a preference of either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include the lower vertebrates.

a. exhibits a preference of wither using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include

b. exhibits the preference to use either the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded and includes

c. exhibit a preference in either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include

d. exhibit a preference for using either the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include

e. exhibit the preference as to either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded and includes

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 17668 [3], given: 1986

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1888 [1], given: 454

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
QOTD: The list of animals [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2017, 11:18
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Much like Monday's QOTD, this one has a nice idiom... that really doesn't matter. Should it be "preference of", "preference to", "preference in", "preference for", or "preference as"? Answer: who cares? We have lots of parallelism and subject-verb to deal with first.

The list of animals that exhibits a preference of either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include the lower vertebrates.

Quote:
a. exhibits a preference of either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include

"...list of animals that exhibits": the animals exhibit, not exhibits. Plus, the parallelism is wrong here, too: "either using... or the left hand." Eliminate (A).

Quote:
b. exhibits the preference to use either the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded and includes

The parallelism is better, but the subject-verb agreement is still wrong. Eliminate (B).

Quote:
c. exhibit a preference in either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include

Same parallelism error as in (A). (C) is gone, too.

Quote:
d. exhibit a preference for using either the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include

Subject-verb looks good, and so does the parallelism. Keep (D).

Quote:
e. exhibit the preference as to either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded and includes

Same parallelism error as in (A) and (C). (E) is gone, and (D) is the answer.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

GMAT Ninja Wednesdays LIVE on YouTube
Join us, and ask your questions in advance!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Kudos [?]: 1888 [1], given: 454

Director
Director
P

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 46

Re: QOTD: The list of animals [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2017, 11:27
souvik101990 wrote:

a. exhibits a preference of wither using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.

A-SV issue - animals and Exhibits
B- same as A
C- Idiom error - either x or Y
D-correct
E-same as C

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 46

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 134

GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2017, 11:30
souvik101990 wrote:

a. exhibits a preference of wither using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include - list of animals is singular

b. exhibits the preference to use either the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded and includes - list of animals is singular

c. exhibit a preference in either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has ben expanded to include - EITHER using the right OR left hand (NO using here)

d. exhibit a preference for using either the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include - Most Appropriate

e. exhibit the preference as to either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded and includes - EITHER using the right OR left hand (NO using here)

a. exhibits a preference of wither using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include - list of animals is singular

b. exhibits the preference to use either the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded and includes - list of animals is singular

c. exhibit a preference in either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has ben expanded to include - EITHER using the right OR left hand (NO using here, balance issue)

d. exhibit a preference for using either the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include - Most Appropriate

e. exhibit the preference as to either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded and includes - EITHER using the right OR left hand (NO using here, balance issue)

We must try to achieve the best within us

Thanks
Luckisnoexcuse

Last edited by Luckisnoexcuse on 31 May 2017, 11:40, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 134

Chat Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 140

Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2017, 11:33
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Choice D:

The list is singular and hence needs a singular verb - has been expanded

that refers to the preceding noun - animals - plural and hence we need a plural - exhibit -

Idiomatic usage - either X or Y - X and Y to be parallel

- Subject-Verb agreement error & incorrect usage of the idiom - --> Correct usage would be: using either the right or the left OR either using the right or using the left -

b. exhibits the preference to use either the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded and includes -

- Subject-Verb agreement error and distortion of the meaning - the list has been expanded with a purpose - intention to include - here the subject "The list" has 2 verbs which is different from the intended meaning.

- incorrect usage of the idiom

- Correct Choice. Corrects all the previous error. Unambiguous meaning.

- Same error as B "and includes" and incorrect usage of the idiom

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 140

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
P

Kudos [?]: 296 [1], given: 165

Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2017, 04:42
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Here the split comes to clarity in meaning and parallelism issues.

a. exhibits a preference of either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include...Incorrect

1- 'exhibits' implies that 'the list' has 'preference' which is nonsensical meaning

2- Parallelism issue: it should be 'either using .......or using ....' or 'using either........or........'

b. exhibits the preference to use either the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded and includes....Incorrect

1- same meaning problem as in A

2- 'The list.......has been expanded and includes'...the structure implies that two actions in sequence while the meaning is show Why the list has been expand. It is IN ORDER TO include.

c. exhibit a preference in either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include......Incorrect

1- Same parallelism issue as in A

2- It worth mentioning that 'exhibit' refers to animal which have preference. It is right meaning.

d. exhibit a preference for using either the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include...Correct

The sentence is error- free in term of meaning and parallelism.

e. exhibit the preference as to either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded and includes.......Incorrect

1- Same parallelism issue in A

2- Same problem in meaning in point 2 in B

Kudos [?]: 296 [1], given: 165

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 101

GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2017, 05:35
The answer is option D. POE-

Option A - SV error. " Animals that exhibits ..." is wrong we need to use exhibit.
Option B - same as A
Option C - Idiom error. either x or y
Option D - Correct
Option E - Idiom error , same as C

" The few , the fearless "

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 101

Verbal Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 1008 [0], given: 81

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2017, 05:40

a. exhibits a preference of either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include - Subject-verb agreement - animals and exhibits; Either X or Y - parallelism

b. exhibits the preference to use either the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded and includes - Subject-verb agreement - animals and exhibits; and includes changes meaning

c. exhibit a preference in either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include - Either X or Y - parallelism

d. exhibit a preference for using either the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include - Correct

e. exhibit the preference as to either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded and includes - Either X or Y - parallelism

Answer D

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 1008 [0], given: 81

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 235

WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2017, 06:28
GMATNinja wrote:
Much like Monday's QOTD, this one has a nice idiom... that really doesn't matter. Should it be "preference of", "preference to", "preference in", "preference for", or "preference as"? Answer: who cares? We have lots of parallelism and subject-verb to deal with first.

Quote:
a. exhibits a preference of either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include

"...list of animals that exhibits": the animals exhibit, not exhibits. Plus, the parallelism is wrong here, too: "either using... or the left hand." Eliminate (A).

Hi Gmatninja,
Is not - of animals - a prepositional phrase? I did not get SV agreement at first glance.
Is not list the main subject? Also is list treated as collective noun, meaning to be always treated as plural?
Lists - forms plural form of list, correct?
WR,
Arpit.

Press kudos if you liked this post

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8185 [0], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2017, 09:43
Top Contributor
1. The basic logic is that a list doesn't show any preference, whereas the animals can display a preference. Therefore, it is the animals that exhibit and not the list that exhibits.
2. Pl also see this difference:
A. A singular subject noun of a plural object noun only takes a singular verb. Ex: The list of animals shows lions and tigers
B. A singular subject noun of a plural object noun followed by 'that' takes a plural verb Ex: the list of animals that show aggression
The topic under question is of the B type.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8185 [0], given: 364

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9290 [1], given: 341

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2017, 13:30
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
adkikani wrote:

Hi Gmatninja,
Is not - of animals - a prepositional phrase? I did not get SV agreement at first glance.
Is not list the main subject? Also is list treated as collective noun, meaning to be always treated as plural?
Lists - forms plural form of list, correct?
WR,
Arpit.

Hello Arpit,

Thank you for the PM. I will be glad to help you resolve your doubt. :)

Let's get the original sentence here:

(Blue = subject, green = verb)

In the above-mentioned sentence, the noun modifier that modifies the immediate preceding noun animals because animals can show a preference in using either right ot left hand. A list cannot show this preference. The logic makes the modification clear.

Since that refers to the plural noun animals, use of singular verb exhibits for that is incorrect.

Please note that a noun in a prepositional cannot act as the subject of a clause. This is the ONLY limitation on a noun entity preceded by a preposition. A pronoun and a modifier can very well refer to a noun preceded by a preposition.

And yes, list is a singular noun. Hence, it uses singular verb has been included. The plural of list is lists.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9290 [1], given: 341

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2017, 17:54
Hi Shraddha,

Thanks for your response, however I am still confused in associating verb exhibits which is singular, with list.
Let me elaborate my query:
Prepositions list and animals are two nouns, joined by preposition of
As a thumb rule, to identify verb, I need to ignore prepositional phrase. Correct?
So here if I ignore of animals, I am left with main subject - List
Now you you already mentioned that list is singular subject, then did we use plural verb
exhibit since we took list of animals as plural subject?

Let me also try to separate clauses/ phrases:
Clause 1: The list of animals
that exhibits a preference of either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot)
(here, that modifies noun animals and is followed by verb - exhibits)

(remaining part of clause 1): has been expanded to include the lower vertebrates.
here, like you mentioned SV no agreement is correct verb is singular and the list (of animals) is singular
I am purposely putting prepositional phrase in bracket to lay stress that the list - subject.
Also present perfect tense correctly suggests an event, whose effect is still continuing.

The only way I see to resolve confusion is if that acts as subject for exhibits,
then it makes sense since modifers that refers to plural noun animals.
Let me know gaps in my understanding.
WR,
Arpit.

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9290 [0], given: 341

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2017, 05:26
adkikani wrote:
Hi Shraddha,

Thanks for your response, however I am still confused in associating verb exhibits which is singular, with list.
Let me elaborate my query:
Prepositions list and animals are two nouns, joined by preposition of
As a thumb rule, to identify verb, I need to ignore prepositional phrase. Correct?
So here if I ignore of animals, I am left with main subject - List
Now you you already mentioned that list is singular subject, then did we use plural verb
exhibit since we took list of animals as plural subject?

Let me also try to separate clauses/ phrases:
Clause 1: The list of animals
that exhibits a preference of either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot)
(here, that modifies noun animals and is followed by verb - exhibits)

(remaining part of clause 1): has been expanded to include the lower vertebrates.
here, like you mentioned SV no agreement is correct verb is singular and the list (of animals) is singular
I am purposely putting prepositional phrase in bracket to lay stress that the list - subject.
Also present perfect tense correctly suggests an event, whose effect is still continuing.

The only way I see to resolve confusion is if that acts as subject for exhibits,
then it makes sense since modifers that refers to plural noun animals.
Let me know gaps in my understanding.
WR,
Arpit.

Hello Arpit,

Thank you for the query. :)

Yes indeed that acts as a subject for the verb exhibits. The word list takes the singular verb has been expanded.

The sentence has two clauses:

Cl. 1: The list of animals

Cl. 2: that exhibits a preference of either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot)

Cont. of Cl. 1: has been expanded to include the lower vertebrates.

Please bear in mind that a relative pronoun modifier always starts a dependent clause. In the above-mentioned official sentence, that acts as the subject of the clause that it starts. The usage of Relative Pronoun Modifiers has been covered elaborately with pertinent examples in the concept named Relative Pronoun Modifiers in the Modifiers block in our Sentence Correction course.

Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2017, 06:05
Hi Shraddha,

Have you came across any OG examples where in THAT can jump over a noun.

I know the other relative pronoun modifier - which definitely can. :-D

WR,
Arpit

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2017, 06:37
adkikani wrote:
Hi Shraddha,

Have you came across any OG examples where in THAT can jump over a noun.

I know the other relative pronoun modifier - which definitely can. :-D

WR,
Arpit

Hello Arpit,

Yes of course. If which can jump, then why can't that?

Take a look at the following correct official sentence:

The use of lie detectors is based on the assumption that lying produces emotional reactions in an individual that, in turn, create unconscious physiological response.

In the above-mentioned official sentence, that modifies emotional reactions.

But in the official question that we are discussing in this thread, that does not jump over the preceding noun. It modifies the immediate preceding noun animals.

Thanks.
Shraddha

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: -24 [1], given: 47

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2017, 10:01
This post received
KUDOS
hi mike garry
i learnt a rule from magoosh lessons that infinitives such as "to include" and "to implement" are considered wrong
but in the question below i find an exception to above rule
Can you please explain where am I missing to grasp the concept ?

a. exhibits a preference of wither using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot)has been expanded to include

e. exhibit the preference as to either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded and includes : I chose this

Kudos [?]: -24 [1], given: 47

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 9

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2017, 09:58

a. exhibits a preference of wither using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include - "exhibits" is singular and incorrect. It is in reference to "animals" so it should be "exhibit".

b. exhibits the preference to use either the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded and includes - same "exhibits" issue as A

c. exhibit a preference in either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include - "exhibit" is correct but "preference in" doesn't sound like the right idiom... suspect.

d. exhibit a preference for using either the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include - "exhibit" is correct and "preference for" sounds like the more likely idiom. Get rid of C and keep D.
-
e. exhibit the preference as to either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded and includes - again "exhibit" is correct but "preference as to" is not idiomatically correct.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 9

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1888 [0], given: 454

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2017, 17:49
I doubt that anybody here is interested in the actual substance of the sentence, but this is kind of interesting: it turns out that most blue whales are right-handed, but some species of kangaroo tend to be left-handed. Some cats are lefties and others are righties, but about 10% of cats are "just cats." I don't know what that means.

Anyway, if you need a break from grammar and want to read about "handedness" in animals, here you go: http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/21/world/wha ... index.html

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

GMAT Ninja Wednesdays LIVE on YouTube
Join us, and ask your questions in advance!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Kudos [?]: 1888 [0], given: 454

Re: QOTD: The list of animals   [#permalink] 21 Nov 2017, 17:49

QOTD: The list of animals

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap