Last visit was: 13 May 2024, 09:21 It is currently 13 May 2024, 09:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [39]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [2]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
GPA: 3.7
WE:Accounting (Insurance)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [2]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [0]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Send PM
Re: Out of public's interest in the details of and conflicts [#permalink]
wallstreetbarbie wrote:
Dont think the issue here is using which but rather using is or are... is being appropriate as it refers back to the market not the reality shows

i think the issue is very much the actual antecedent of which. Here the term which can refer to either market or television shows and hence ambiguous.
based on what is the actual antecedent of which, the verb following which is decided.
logically Which here can refer to either of two. It could refer to market if such usage were without any ambiguity. i don't think GMAC will ever leave the logical meaning as per discretion of the test takers.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Given Kudos: 41
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
vashistvikas wrote:
Out of public's interest in the details of and conflicts in other people's lives have grown a booming market for reality television shows, which are bringing regular people onto the television with increasing frequency.

A. other people's lives have grown a booming market for reality television shows, which are bringing

B. other people's lives has grown a booming market for reality television shows, which are bringing

C. another persons's life has grown a booming market for reality television shows, which is bringing

D. other people's lives has grown a booming market for reality television shows, which is bringing

E. other people's lives has grown a booming market for reality television shows, which bring

Similar question: LINK

My question is : What does "which" in this sentence refer to? The market or the reality television shows or is it combined phrase? My understanding was that which should always refer to noun preceding it -not sure anymore. Based on clarification, it will be either "which is" or to "which are". I am not sure. Can someone explain the rule please?

OA is D.

Cheers

Vikas

I felt, as per the logical meaning which should refer to 'interest'...as it is better contender than booming market or tv shows.
But as 'interest' is far away from which, it should refer to closest noun tv shows.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Send PM
"which is bringing" refers to television shows in option D..
shows are plural...
any experts please help
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V44
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
vashistvikas wrote:
Out of public's interest in the details of and conflicts in other people's lives have grown a booming market for reality television shows, which are bringing regular people onto the television with increasing frequency.

A. other people's lives have grown a booming market for reality television shows, which are bringing need the plural version has, out of the public's intrest ....has grown

B. other people's lives has grown a booming market for reality television shows, which are bringing "which are bringing", refers to the booming market, which is singular. so we need the sentence that has subject verb agreement in number

C. another persons's life has grown a booming market for reality television shows, which is bringing use of "another" changes meaning

D. other people's lives has grown a booming market for reality television shows, which is bringing has, which is bringing !! correct

E. other people's lives has grown a booming market for reality television shows, which bring has, which bring, brings would be more appropriate, which brings people onto

My question is : What does "which" in this sentence refer to? The market or the reality television shows or is it combined phrase? My understanding was that which should always refer to noun preceding it -not sure anymore. Based on clarification, it will be either "which is" or to "which are". I am not sure. Can someone explain the rule please?

OA is D.

Cheers

Vikas

is helps me to remove the filler :

Out of public's interestin the details of and conflicts in [u]other people's lives have grown a booming market for reality television shows, which are bringing [/u]regular people onto the television with increasing frequency.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1785 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
"which" here refers to the market. If test takers read fast, they should know this. If there is any doubt, the market brings people, not the shows.
"another" is incorrect.
VP
VP
Send PM
hello, I need help.
Can you tell me the difference between "other" and "another"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
chesstitans wrote:
hello, I need help.

it changed the meaning of the sentence.

is the market about looking into one other person's life ( singular) or multiple peoples lives
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Send PM
vivophoenix wrote:
vashistvikas wrote:

A. other people's lives have grown a booming market for reality television shows, which are bringing need the plural version has, out of the public's intrest ....has grown

B. other people's lives has grown a booming market for reality television shows, which are bringing "which are bringing", refers to the booming market, which is singular. so we need the sentence that has subject verb agreement in number

C. another persons's life has grown a booming market for reality television shows, which is bringing use of "another" changes meaning

D. other people's lives has grown a booming market for reality television shows, which is bringing has, which is bringing !! correct

E. other people's lives has grown a booming market for reality television shows, which bring has, which bring, brings would be more appropriate, which brings people onto

OA is D.

Cheers

Vikas

Out of public's interestin the details of and conflicts in [u]other people's lives have grown a booming market for reality television shows, which are bringing [/u]regular people onto the television with increasing frequency.

hi,,, but "which" refers to the word right before it, in this case television shows...correct???
VP
VP
Send PM
mohshu wrote:
vivophoenix wrote:
vashistvikas wrote:

OA is D.

Cheers

Vikas

hi,,, but "which" refers to the word right before it, in this case television shows...correct???

yes, but that is just a half of the truth. "which" normally and often refers to the word before the comma, but "which" also refers to the word that has the verb agreement, and the word has the logic.

for example, the vicinity of fields that/ ,which.... can refer to "vicinity" or "fields". It depends.
VP
VP
Send PM
vivophoenix wrote:
chesstitans wrote:
hello, I need help.

is the market about looking into one other person's life ( singular) or multiple peoples lives

according to the question, persons' life, not person's life. Therefore, I do not know how the meaning is changed.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
chesstitans wrote:
vivophoenix wrote:
chesstitans wrote:
hello, I need help.

according to the question, persons' life, not person's life. Therefore, I do not know how the meaning is changed.

persons' is not a word.

that would imply the possessive plural.

the possessive plural is people's

so i assumed it was a spelling mistake for person's life
VP
VP
Send PM
persons' is not a word.

so i assumed it was a spelling mistake for person's life[/quote]

persons = people
However, the possessive pronoun are not same?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
chesstitans wrote:
persons' is not a word.

so i assumed it was a spelling mistake for person's life

persons = people
However, the possessive pronoun are not same?[/quote]

singular plural
person people
singular possessive plural possessive
person's people's
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 195 [0]
Given Kudos: 275

Experts please help. Here is my analysis of this question:

1) Plural verb 'have' is fine as 'and' forms a compound subject. Why is has correct?
2) Which refers to the preceding noun. Then why is which referring to market?

Thanks
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 195 [0]
Given Kudos: 275
Experts I have few queries regarding this question and I have posted my understanding of this question. Please help.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [0]
Given Kudos: 317
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Out of public's interest in the details of and conflicts [#permalink]
Shiv2016 wrote:

Experts please help. Here is my analysis of this question:

1) Plural verb 'have' is fine as 'and' forms a compound subject. Why is has correct?

The correct one : Out of public's interest in the details of and conflicts in other people's lives has grown a booming market for reality television shows -- > the subject is "a booming market for reality .." Something like this -

a booming market for reality television shows has grown out of ......

We generally used this type of structure for proper placement of the subsequent modifier. One additional thing you have to note - this SC does not want us to know whether we require has/have, because there is no split between has/have ( except A) here. The real way to get any SC questions correct is to work with the splits/differences. We are not looking for the perfect one, but the best out of the five.

The main split is with "which". So, your second question..

Shiv2016 wrote:
2) Which refers to the preceding noun. Then why is which referring to market? Thanks

What "which" refers depend on context and the subsequent verb. Since, "is" is singular, it refer to a singular noun "market". What it must refer to - "market" or "shows" is a separate question however. [ for more refer the Emily Dickenson's letter Problem from OG]

In addition to what I have written, recent OG-18 questions point to a justified conclusion that GMAT has been less stringent with the usage of "which".

Cheers !!

Originally posted by godot53 on 07 Sep 2017, 00:53.
Last edited by godot53 on 07 Sep 2017, 02:22, edited 2 times in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 228 [0]
Given Kudos: 608
Send PM
vashistvikas wrote:

A. other people's lives have grown a booming market for reality television shows, which are bringing

B. other people's lives has grown a booming market for reality television shows, which are bringing

C. another persons's life has grown a booming market for reality television shows, which is bringing

D. other people's lives has grown a booming market for reality television shows, which is bringing

E. other people's lives has grown a booming market for reality television shows, which bring

OA is D.

Cheers

Vikas

Well nice discussion here-but if this is not an official question, then it looks like a waste of time. Because if we look at the meaning and ask- 'what is it that is bringing people to TV'? It is the TV shows and not the 'market' so I would B looks to be the correct answer.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6927 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts